Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dienes posted:

We can do stupider.

Thread title material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Dienes posted:

We can do stupider.

Yeah, when we did the "Let Us Read Terrible Star Wars Books For You" thread in TBB, I went on a lengthy tirade about how loving retarded the lightwhip is.

Allow me to sum up:

quote:

Previously I had stated that this book would introduce the stupidest weapon imaginable. And there it is: A lightwhip. It's a lightsaber...but a whip. Excuse me for a moment.

:bang:

Ok, at first glance, it sounds awesome. But let it sink in. Let the sheer idiocy of the concept strike you. As it stands, just a regular lightsaber is a dangerous weapon to wield; in Heir to the Empire, Talon Karrde refers to any layperson using a lightsaber as having "an insufferably high opinion of his swordsmanship". So we're going to extend it to the length of a bullwhip and make it flexible, yeah, that's a great idea! In fact, a glance at your friend and mine, Wookieepedia, tells me that some wielders of lightwhips used a cat-o-nine-tails variant..Hey, that's an even better idea! Let's take a weapon that when wielded improperly can cut off your own head, make it longer and as flexible as a whip, and then have smaller tendrils extend off the end! Yeah! Why? Because we're loving retarded, that's why.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, when we did the "Let Us Read Terrible Star Wars Books For You" thread in TBB, I went on a lengthy tirade about how loving retarded the lightwhip is.

Allow me to sum up:

arsenicxenon
Aug 9, 2013

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

they should make a lightsaber gun that shoots light bullets

That describes all of the guns in the movies

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

arsenicxenon posted:

That describes all of the guns in the movies

:thejoke:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Some kind of lightsaber catapult should show up in the movie.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oldpainless posted:

Some kind of lightsaber catapult should show up in the movie.

I can't tell if you are joking or double-joking.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trent posted:

I can't tell if you are joking or double-joking.

:thejoke: :thejoke:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Until there are dudes with lightsaber armour, we aint seen nothing.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Did they ever make lightsaber grenades?

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

...I think.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:vince:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Sandweed posted:

The entire EU is dead now.

Farage rejoices.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

oldpainless posted:

Some kind of lightsaber trebuchet should show up in the movie.

Fixed that for you.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dienes posted:

We can do stupider.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Root Bear posted:

Fixed that for you.

What about a catapult?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Okay I was wrong can we go back to talking about gamergate instead of star war

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Okay I was wrong can we go back to talking about gamergate instead of star war

It's a shame MRA's hate Anita Sarkeesian so much, she has some really good points that get shouted down.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A bunch of new posts, I wonder

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

:laffo: He looks like a loving Metal Gear Rising boss! Is that official?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Trabant posted:

A bunch of new posts, I wonder

Right? I was expecting anime or a dance party or something

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dienes posted:

We can do stupider.

The lightsaber whip is real dumb and all but personally I like the Skyrim armor she's wearing. What the gently caress do you expect that to do, lady?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cicadas! posted:

:laffo: He looks like a loving Metal Gear Rising boss! Is that official?

It was official in the tremendous loving cesspool that was the Star Wars Expanded Universe. When Disney took over, they said all that poo poo was stupid and dumb and didn't exist unless J.J. Abrams said it did.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Allow me to sum up:

... So an urumi, then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAsCuDFSUI

Picnic Princess posted:

Right? I was expecting anime or a dance party or something

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Dienes posted:

We can do stupider.

Totally ripped off that season 1 TNG episode that introduced the Ferengi (as horrible Jewish stereotypes).

:colbert:

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

1stGear posted:

It was official in the tremendous loving cesspool that was the Star Wars Expanded Universe. When Disney took over, they said all that poo poo was stupid and dumb and didn't exist unless J.J. Abrams said it did.

Clearly the only correct option is to make the lightsaber armor the only canon thing from the EU.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Which brings us right back around to

arsenicxenon
Aug 9, 2013
Steven colbert throws in his two cents about the "lightsaber controversy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiabUnjU84w

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

arsenicxenon posted:

Steven colbert throws in his two cents about the "lightsaber controversy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiabUnjU84w

Back when I was teaching, during career day we had a laser scientist from the local university come in to talk about the work he did and do some demonstrations (bending light with fiber optic cables or a stream of water, etc.). At one point he mentioned that the lightsabers from Star Wars were impossible because you can't just make a beam of light stop, and I piped up from the back of the classroom to inform him that, actually, lightsbaers are arcs that curve back into the hilt.

That's the story of the day I out-:spergin: a literal laser scientist on how lightsabers work.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Korgan posted:

just Korgan things

The hero this thread deserves.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Doctor Bishop posted:

Which brings us right back around to

Allegedly this is a fencing thing where one of the people does some kind of counter juke and then the other jukes the juke and you get into a weird spinny bit. happens with fencers fencing their masters/students.

Allegedly.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Allegedly this is a fencing thing where one of the people does some kind of counter juke and then the other jukes the juke and you get into a weird spinny bit. happens with fencers fencing their masters/students.

Allegedly.

No it isn't. It is a bad movie. Common mistake.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Back when I was teaching, during career day we had a laser scientist from the local university come in to talk about the work he did and do some demonstrations (bending light with fiber optic cables or a stream of water, etc.). At one point he mentioned that the lightsabers from Star Wars were impossible because you can't just make a beam of light stop, and I piped up from the back of the classroom to inform him that, actually, lightsbaers are arcs that curve back into the hilt.

That's the story of the day I out-:spergin: a literal laser scientist on how lightsabers work.

I was posting the physics and stuff, but yeah. Honestly, it takes like three seconds to type starwars.com into your internet browser, but even easier to endlessly post every day for months about a universe you're trying to fool people into believing you're not interested in.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

RyokoTK posted:

The lightsaber whip is real dumb and all but personally I like the Skyrim armor she's wearing. What the gently caress do you expect that to do, lady?

It could be made out of cortosis, which resists lightsabers.
:goonsay:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Daktar posted:

It could be made out of cortosis, which resists lightsabers.
:goonsay:

And the boobplate? :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Kavak posted:

And the boobplate? :can:

Obviously, it must be made out of lactosis. :yum:

• Locked thread