Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Michaellaneous posted:

Did you know that you can click on dark bum in platinumgod? http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth

Sums up my feelings for this items perfectly.

I love this so much.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Conversely, it blows my mind that 80% of people have beaten the Basement. That's a really high success rate! I guess the game hasn't been on more-than-one-third sale yet. But still.

e: or, weirder, half of people who got Godhead have Real Platinum God... and there are about as many people with RPG as with normal boring Platinum God. What the heck is going on there? The Mac bug?

I'm guessing the mac bug + a little bit of Godhead being a fucker to get to drop factor in for most of that, with Steven, secret room drops, and Meat Boy/Bandage Girl accounting for the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Well I've gotten RPG and only just learned that Pandora's Box is NOT random, but rather gives you stuff based on what floor you are on:

quote:

Basement 1 : 2 Soul Hearts.

Basement 2 : 2 Bombs + 2 Keys.

Caves 1 : 1 Boss item.

Caves 2 : 1 Boss item + 2 Soul Hearts.

Depths 1 : 4 Soul Hearts.

Depths 2 : 20 Coins.

Utero 1 : 2 Boss Items.

Utero 2 : Bible.

Sheol : 1 Devil Item + 1 Black Heart.

Dark Room : 1 Coin.

Cathedral : 1 Angel Item + 1 Eternal Heart.

Chest : Nothing.

Welp. Good to know I guess.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Power of Pecota posted:

I love this so much.

I'd say the site is worth it for only that, but to be honest, I have a real bad memory so it helps immensly.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Logan 5 posted:

Well I've gotten RPG and only just learned that Pandora's Box is NOT random, but rather gives you stuff based on what floor you are on:
Huh. That's a really confusing set, too. It doesn't get strictly better the further down you go, but also doesn't get worse because it's good in the Cathedral. No wonder it took people so long to find it out (or was I just looking in the wrong place?)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A few days ago I finally beat Suicide King and got...the Suicide King card unlocked. Cue me going "Cool, but I'll probably never use it."

At which point I just now picked up my first SC card as Lazarus right after picking up the Satanic Bible and knowing there's 2 spare batteries on the level. Moments later I now have a 9 lives thanks to dead cat, and am standing in a pile of money, bombs, a credit card, another battery for my Satanic Bible and tears up pills. :thumbsup:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So just something to keep in mind: I AM ERROR rooms reset the Chest(and Dark Room I'm assuming). Took MissingNo down there, got into I AM ERROR, got a bunch of pills, reset the Chest, got another 4 chests, repeated that a whole bunch of times until I rolled over ???.

Also of note, it seems like all machines have predetermined results based on either the seed or just the initial sight of them as one secret room had a Fortune Telling Machine and I could consistently predict what trinkets and cards would drop and in what order with each reset of the Chest.

Fairly specific tip but worth remembering if you're looking to cheese something.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Oh god I forgot what double Adversary rooms could do, I had a crazy damage Cricket's Head + Body + Sacred Heart + My Reflection + Abaddon doing a hard mode Eden run and just got shredded. This was like two rooms after destroying phase 1 + 2 of Satan in like a total of 3 seconds.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
This is, without a doubt, the stupidest way I have ever botched a run. I cannot get past it. I dare anyone to fail in a dumber way than this

Edit: oh my loving god. moms toenail smashed the machine while i was standing next to it. fuuuuuuuuck! I made it out

Ghost Head fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 3, 2014

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You also had an X-marked rock right next to where you're standing in that shot, mom's toenail could have busted that open and maybe given you a soul heart to get through.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
wow i didnt even see that. I couldn't force myself past the machine though. If it gave me a bomb that would have been good though. I ended up dying in the dark room on this run. Word of advice: the punching bag is cool and all but on satan it is utter loving trash. A complete liability against its final form. You end up dodging into the stomps when they aim for the punching bag.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Logan 5 posted:

I wanted to check this for myself, and I tried it a couple more times just to make sure. Then a few more, then a few more. Then I wondered what would happen if I filled the entire room with bullshit Cheat Engine Pandora's box soul hearts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIiyb9ypMuw

I wasn't pressing any keys beside the space bar, it was just jittering me around through the sheer force of physics + not enough room. It shoved me though the door right at the end. It was great, I kind of wish there was a seed that did this for all rooms and forced you to ride the waves.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Logan 5 posted:

Wow that's really good to know, thanks.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Had a really good run going where I ended up with Guppy after only a few floors. Then I got a dice room and it turned my build into something extremely strange. Basically the spark notes is that I had little planet and Ipecac which meant I had a constant ring of explosive death raining down at all times. Sounds cool but it basically meant I couldn't move around or I'd get nailed by my own tears constantly...

Still need to beat the final boss. Wish there was a way to get angel rooms more consistently. Still not sure if it's worth it to go for curse rooms on those runs. On the one hand you could get a goat's head which significantly increases your odds of finding angel rooms, but apparently opening red chests decreases your shot of finding them.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 3, 2014

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
Holy poo poo, the bloat really does just murder the gently caress out of the mask of infamy immediately on the boss rush if you position yourself right. :haw:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

What challenges would you guys recommend I try to clear first, from a usefulness of the item unlocks standpoint?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Volt Catfish posted:

What challenges would you guys recommend I try to clear first, from a usefulness of the item unlocks standpoint?

Just do everything that actually lets you shoot somewhat normally first. They generally aren't that hard, as long as you know how to get devil deals, etc. The blindfold challenges can be real sons of bitches, and I wouldn't do any of them before the others.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Volt Catfish posted:

Clearing Family Man unlocks Epic Fetus which is still really good but rare as all gently caress. Arguably better (from a scarcity standpoint) are Cursed! and Demo Man which unlock Credit Card and Chaos Card, both of which are way good pickups to get at basically any point in the game. After that, It's In The Cards and Waka Waka unlock SMB Super Fan and Death's Touch which are certified good items to have in your pool.

after that I figure the Runes should come next since they're all cool and have decent utility. The rest of the items unlocked from the challenges are either a cavalcade of mediocrity (or only good under fairly specific circumstances like The Card Against Humanity) or they are Suicide King, which has a lovely unlock and is a frustrating challenge anyway.

That said, what the guy says above is true. Most of them aren't all that anyway, the only one I found kinda difficult is also the one with the worst unlock, might as well just do them all.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

PantsBandit posted:

Had a really good run going where I ended up with Guppy after only a few floors. Then I got a dice room and it turned my build into something extremely strange. Basically the spark notes is that I had little planet and Ipecac which meant I had a constant ring of explosive death raining down at all times. Sounds cool but it basically meant I couldn't move around or I'd get nailed by my own tears constantly...

Still need to beat the final boss. Wish there was a way to get angel rooms more consistently. Still not sure if it's worth it to go for curse rooms on those runs. On the one hand you could get a goat's head which significantly increases your odds of finding angel rooms, but apparently opening red chests decreases your shot of finding them.

Uhh, are you talking about red chests just in Curse rooms, or in general? Cause everything I've seen about them says that opening them doesn't do anything to your chances at an Angel room, or even influence the likelihood of Devil rooms either. Pretty sure the only for sure things that increase your Angel room chances are rejecting any and all devil deals, and having faith up items. If you know something we dont though...

Also this is BoI, you need to specifiy which boss for you is the "final" one :v:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Clearing Family Man unlocks Epic Fetus which is still really good but rare as all gently caress. Arguably better (from a scarcity standpoint) are Cursed! and Demo Man which unlock Credit Card and Chaos Card, both of which are way good pickups to get at basically any point in the game. After that, It's In The Cards and Waka Waka unlock SMB Super Fan and Death's Touch which are certified good items to have in your pool.

after that I figure the Runes should come next since they're all cool and have decent utility. The rest of the items unlocked from the challenges are either a cavalcade of mediocrity (or only good under fairly specific circumstances like The Card Against Humanity) or they are Suicide King, which has a lovely unlock and is a frustrating challenge anyway.

That said, what the guy says above is true. Most of them aren't all that anyway, the only one I found kinda difficult is also the one with the worst unlock, might as well just do them all.

CaH is really good. You've got a fairly good chance of getting a petrified poop from it, use that to clear the remaining poop and you'll be rolling in hearts and money. Best used in a quadruple room with lots of open floor space. Might take a while to clear all the poo depending on your loadout but usually very much worth it. Also the poop will shield you from most enemy projectiles in a pinch, with the drawback of limiting your mobility for a while. I'm pretty sure the poops can also spit out eternal hearts, and possibly soul hearts as well.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

I'm pretty sure red chests don't decrease your angel room chance. Just don't take any devil deals, and don't pick up any "evil up" items. Faith up trinkets like the bible tract seem to help too. I seem to always get at least two angel rooms if I plan to go that route on a run. Sometimes the rng just decides to troll you though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Logan 5 posted:

Uhh, are you talking about red chests just in Curse rooms, or in general? Cause everything I've seen about them says that opening them doesn't do anything to your chances at an Angel room, or even influence the likelihood of Devil rooms either. Pretty sure the only for sure things that increase your Angel room chances are rejecting any and all devil deals, and having faith up items. If you know something we dont though...

Also this is BoI, you need to specifiy which boss for you is the "final" one :v:

Specifically mega satan

Yeah I wasn't sure about the red chest thing. The research I've done into it has come up with some pretty speculative stuff. Maybe having red chests affects it, maybe not. Maybe dark hearts affect it, maybe not. That sort of thing.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Volt Catfish posted:

rune challenges, credit card one and chaos card one are all really good and best of all don't replace item unlocks since they go into the pickup pool. scythes are good too

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Nastyman posted:

CaH is really good. You've got a fairly good chance of getting a petrified poop from it, use that to clear the remaining poop and you'll be rolling in hearts and money. Best used in a quadruple room with lots of open floor space. Might take a while to clear all the poo depending on your loadout but usually very much worth it. Also the poop will shield you from most enemy projectiles in a pinch, with the drawback of limiting your mobility for a while. I'm pretty sure the poops can also spit out eternal hearts, and possibly soul hearts as well.

actually yeah I take it back knock out the Card Against Humanity along with the rest of the good card items, CaH is most effective with a bit of setup and can be a bit tedious to use but it'll literally poo poo a pile of resources onto your head if you use it in a big room.

Poops can drop soul hearts, and I don't know if they drop eternal hearts via conventional methods but there is a method to kinda force it. Dark Secret Rooms that contain stuff like only a sin heart or only an eternal heart actually have modified drop tables in those rooms only such that every heart that drops becomes sin or soul. CaH in combo with petrified poop and one of those rooms makes magical things happen.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Toothpicks + Blast Damage + Max's head on the first floor.

Holy poo poo this is crazy damage.

ED: Added The Mark in a devil room on the 2nd floor now too. Seriously it might not be one shotting everything, but close enough. I'm going to really shake my head if I lose this run.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 3, 2014

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Nastyman posted:

Protip: don't use a Card Against Humanity when the enemies are flying. They very much don't care and you just box yourself in. Unless you're flying, in which case go hog wild I guess.

Also I used one in a 2x2 room once that had greed heads in it, and for some reason when all the poop spawned, it shoved the greed heads INTO MY SQUARE from across the room. Ended the run, since I was hoping to use the card to box them in because I was lower on health.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Nighthand posted:

and for some reason when all the poop spawned, it shoved the greed heads INTO MY SQUARE from across the room. Ended the run, since I was hoping to use the card to box them in because I was lower on health.

I'm going to bet it's for the same reason you posted above, greed heads can briefly become airborne while jumping and during that time they won't give a poo poo about the poop but when they're done being airborne they're forced into the only valid square in room, i.e the one you are also occupying.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Someone has posted a tool that extracts seeds from the game log, care to post again? I can't find it and could use that.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hey, how do you unlock the Family Man challenge? 11 and 19 are still locked for me, only Beans and Purist left to beat of the ones that are unlocked.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
"Godhead has appeared in the Basement."

What a wonderful sentence that is. Both winning runs had the ridiculously powerful combo of Death's Scythe and Cricket's Body. I also got Lord of the Flies on the Dark Room run. It's OK, Guppy seems better though.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

Hey, how do you unlock the Family Man challenge? 11 and 19 are still locked for me, only Beans and Purist left to beat of the ones that are unlocked.

You need to get Dad's Key, which you unlock by killing 2 angels in one run and getting the big golden key.
The other challenge needs you to beat Family Man for the unlock, so do that.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I fumbled a Chaos Card throw against It Lives and got killed by eye lasers a few seconds later. Most embarrassing end to what was otherwise a solid run. It was a donation-box-filling run I decided not to abandon, but still.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Well that was fun. Just beat WAKKA WAKKA on my first try thanks to brimstone. Antigrav tears is pretty bad with brimstone, but the magnetic tears turn the windup brimstone vortices into black holes of death. Made it pretty easy as long I got the hell out of the way.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oh right that's why I stopped playing challenges, they're criminally unfun (Cursed)

e: I did it, I beat cursed. Still a poo poo challenge i m o

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 3, 2014

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Found a 6-pip dice room on around floor 22 of the base ment seed, I'm guessing ipecac and crickets body are the main things going on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW_H8i-eN5k

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Volt Catfish posted:

oh right that's why I stopped playing challenges, they're criminally unfun (Cursed)

e: I did it, I beat cursed. Still a poo poo challenge i m o

Cursed! is one of the best challenges, I think. Forces you to think about which path to take and weigh going for treasure rooms or going straight for the boss.

Also the only thing in this game that made me realize what rainbow poops do.

E: And then there's challenges like the "Lemons" one. Who remembers that one? I only do because of how freaking bland it was. "Try and beat Mom - with some Lemon starter items!!!" Contrasted against "Beat Isaac/Satan with no tears and some familiars!". Really? Isaac/Satan? Couldn't be satisfied with a Heart kill or something? /rant

Vic Boss fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 3, 2014

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I have probably a couple hundred runs in this game and have yet to unlock "It Lives". I am very bad at dodging damage :(

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Vic Boss posted:

Cursed! is one of the best challenges, I think. Forces you to think about which path to take and weigh going for treasure rooms or going straight for the boss.

I agree. I think the best challenges are the ones that teach you effectively how to best utilize and get the most out of different items/features in the game. The 'Cursed' challenge is good for the reason you described- it teaches you how to smartly navigate a floor and forces you to make concessions/tough decisions that will be super beneficial in hard mode. Solar System is great for teaching you how to get the most out of, and exploit, orbitals. Family Man teaches you how to better utilize and aim with familiars. And so on.

The challenges I don't like are some of the more silly ones with non-transferable skills, or ones that are too easy. Like I'm not sure under what condition I'd deliberately pick up my reflection and ipecac, so the challenge comes off as grating/frustrating rather than rewarding. Slow Roll and Tank don't really teach anything either.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

purkey posted:

Antigrav tears is pretty bad with brimstone, but the magnetic tears turn the windup brimstone vortices into black holes of death.

There's a few things that can make antigrav brimstone pretty alright (spoilers).

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Can your damage keep increasing after hitting the visible stat cap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
There really is nothing quite like getting some lucky pickups in Suicide King, including a Chaos Card with Isaac's name on it, only to enter that loving room in Utero with the red poops by all the doors. And of course it's the way you have to go. Of course it is.