Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

psydude posted:

Are there any recommended CCIE podcasts? I need to do something on my commute other than listen to lovely awesome punk rock from my highschool days on Pandora.

Does PacketPushers count?

I don't dabble into networking a whole lot but everything they've put out is superb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have a certification or experience with salesforce.com admin work? Someone is offering me a lot of money to do salesforce stuff for them. Is it a trap? Do you hate yourself for doing it?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
disregard this post, meant this for the other thread.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 1, 2014

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

psydude posted:

Are there any recommended CCIE podcasts? I need to do something on my commute other than listen to lovely awesome punk rock from my highschool days on Pandora.

I streamed the audio from the INE videos. You don't soak it all in 100% but you start to know where to pay attention later when you sit down and watch them.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Race Realists posted:

i was all set and ready to get the Sybex A+ and Network+ books for christmas but to my horror it looks like they'll be scrapping the current tests soon.

Should I wait till N10-006 book comes out, or is it okay to buy and still read them?

Looked on Amazon it appears that Sybex will be coming out with a new Net+ book in March of next year. Is there a specific date the -005 will expire?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oh Dear God, the official CCIE cert guide is co-authored by Odom.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love me some Wendell O.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Gross. I've delayed my CCNP ROUTE test umpteen times because I can't get through the stereo manual that is his official Cisco Press book.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
New CCNP R&S books do not have Odom listed as an author. I'm keeping the previous Odom book as a reference because I want to know something, not about something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have used the Odom books as reference/lookup books entirely because of his "stereo manual" style, yeah.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Some of you guys reference CBT Nuggets, Pluralsight, etc. for your studying. Do some of your employers pay for subscriptions? Do you? Just wondering since their subscriptions are pretty pricey.

My guess is :filez: or they pay out of pocket, which is why I haven't used CBT stuff as often as I'd like to.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

100 bucks for one off month of just non-stop binging

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

All my training is paid for by my company.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All our IT employees can get CBT nuggets at request, $5k/year for classes, but we have to pay for our own tests.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What's the usual turn-around time between taking a Pearson vue IT certification test and getting the 'you passed' notice or certificate?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

What's the usual turn-around time between taking a Pearson vue IT certification test and getting the 'you passed' notice or certificate?

It depends upon the test vendor, but usually the results are posted to your online profile within 24 hours. You'll receive an email from the actual vendor (CompTIA, Cisco, etc.) with information on how to get your certificate.

rock2much posted:

All our IT employees can get CBT nuggets at request, $5k/year for classes, but we have to pay for our own tests.

We get Skillport, which kind of sucks (although some of their classes aren't too bad), but they also reimburse for exam expenses.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Just passed the updated CompTIA Security+ exam with a 867/900 which is nice to get out of the way before Christmas.

The Darril Gibson book covered everything in the exam and I also used the practice exam book 'CompTIA Security+ Certification Practice Exams, Second Edition'. The questions in the practice book (800+ with the online ones you also get) were pitched at just the right level and were well worth the money.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The a+ book I'm reading says there are written essay questions. How does that work in the context of the test, I thought it was multiple choice scantron?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bigass Moth posted:

The a+ book I'm reading says there are written essay questions. How does that work in the context of the test, I thought it was multiple choice scantron?

There are no written essay questions. Do you have a book for the old version or something? I just took it in September and it was all on computer, multiple choice and "performance" questions (had to point out the parts on a motherboard, set up a wireless router according to the specs they gave you etc).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That's strange, the end of each chapter says there will be performance based questions so I guess I read that as "show your work". This is the sybex book. How in depth are the test questions?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bigass Moth posted:

That's strange, the end of each chapter says there will be performance based questions so I guess I read that as "show your work". This is the sybex book. How in depth are the test questions?

The performance based questions are pretty much like how I described. Honestly, I found the questions pretty easy - do you have a background with computers? Even if you just "grew up" around computers, you'll most likely do good on it. Read the book anyways because stuff you have no reason to know otherwise (a floppy disk connector has 34 pins!) might show up. A couple of em did. Pretty sure I used the same book as you, I found it was pretty spot on.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Work is offering a nice promotion provided I can get these certs for Office 365 (70-346/347). Problem is, I'm not finding a lot of useful information aside from stuff at MVA. Any suggestions?

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Bleh. Failed ICND2 again today. I was relatively close the first time (788) at the end of September. Actually did worse today. I used the Lammle book and packet tracer to study for ICND1 and ICND2 the first time. After failing it first, I got the Wendell Odom book to try and use. No good either. Can anyone give me some other things I should be studying?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Chris Bryant has a video series (similar to CBT Nuggets) on Udemy for $44 w/coupon BULLDOG44 and $5 study guides. You'd probably only need the ICND2 guide at this point.

What areas are you having trouble with?

icehewk fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 3, 2014

high six
Feb 6, 2010
I will look into those videos, thanks. I honestly thought I was doing well this time, and I feel like I know the material pretty well. I did well the first time on the troubleshooting section but not so great this time. I think I just got anxious and rushed through it. Did really badly on the IP services part, too.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I'm taking my 70-410 exam tomorrow. Any last-minute advice?

I've been getting over 90% on every Transcender practice exam I've taken this week (random 50 questions of 150, 9 runs so far). I'm just terrified that the actual exam is going to "pull a fast one" on me.

The trainer said that the Transcender is more difficult than the actual, but I am wondering if that's just a line. :ohdear:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Powershell shorthand:

Get- Gives you information (most of the time)

set- applies settings

Transcender is difficult but it doesn't really prepare you for the microsoft testing logic. They're hard questions, sure, but it will ask stupid things like what is the correct arpa for ipv6 address range. (Not to say that isn't valuable knowledge rather its not relevant.)

I'm much more satisfied with kaplan self-test vs transcender.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 4, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

incoherent posted:

but it will ask stupid things

What will? Transcender or 70-410?

May 14, 2003

high six posted:

Bleh. Failed ICND2 again today. I was relatively close the first time (788) at the end of September. Actually did worse today. I used the Lammle book and packet tracer to study for ICND1 and ICND2 the first time. After failing it first, I got the Wendell Odom book to try and use. No good either. Can anyone give me some other things I should be studying?

What topics do you think kicked your rear end?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So, after reading through the Cisco Press CCIE Guide for a little bit, I'm actually glad to see that they've updated the material to be relevant to current technologies, particularly at layer 2. SWITCH seemed to cover mostly legacy stuff that you still find in production (MST, GLBP, HSRP, etc.), but which is being phased out as people refresh their core infrastructure and replace the older designs with VSS and SPB. The exam actually covers these newer technologies (in addition to the older ones).

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 4, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

So, after reading through the Cisco Press CCIE Guide for a little bit, I'm actually glad to see that they've updated the material to be relevant to current technologies, particularly at layer 2. SWITCH seemed to cover mostly legacy stuff that you still find in production (MTP, GLBP, HSRP, etc.), but which is being phased out as people refresh their core infrastructure and replace the older designs with VSS and SPB. The exam actually covers these newer technologies (in addition to the older ones).

Some day I want to be able to read this paragraph and have the first idea as to what all the acronyms aside from CCIE mean. :/

high six
Feb 6, 2010

1000101 posted:

What topics do you think kicked your rear end?

Well, anything to do with the "IP Services" objectives. For instance, can't even use GLBP on Packet Tracer as far as I am aware, but I had multiple questions on it. I did pretty badly on the troubleshooting part this time but did rather well the first time I took it, though.

May 14, 2003

GLBP is on the CCNA now? Neat.

I'll be happy to answer any questions that may not be clear from reading/studies as I'm sure many other folks here would be. It can be pretty demoralizing to fail a test twice but I'm sure most of us have been there.

To practice the topics you may consider looking at something like GNS3 to cover things like routing protocols or FHRPs. Optionally you should be able to make Cisco's VIRL work for you.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Well, I bought that course on Udemy that someone up further recommended. My plan is to retake it every week until I pass it, so good motivation for studying. My main problem is that when I took the Cisco courses and have done stuff at home, a lot of the objectives, like SNMP, Netflow, FHHPs, and so on were not covered very much. I think I just get bad test anxiety and tend to rush through things. I know Cisco likes to have tricky questions, so I end up second-guessing myself or something. I'll look into getting some ios images for GNS3, thanks.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Failed my 70-410.

If you are using Transcender, dump it. It didn't prepare me for question types/format/material at all. I was passing near 100% with their flash cards and practice exams. I got a 644/1000.

I'm pissed beyond reckoning at this point. What a waste.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'm so sorry :(

What did your printout say you need work on?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

incoherent posted:

I'm so sorry :(

What did your printout say you need work on?

Didn't get a printout. The training center was a malfunctioning dump (adding to my irritation).

Gotta try and get the printout faxed to me, or find a way to get my transcript.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Didn't get a printout. The training center was a malfunctioning dump (adding to my irritation).

Gotta try and get the printout faxed to me, or find a way to get my transcript.
I read stories like this, and it always frustrates the poo poo out of me. Not because of anything you did, but to me it's like, okay testing center, you can't even provide me a print out, one of the basic components of this test, and since you can't even provide a basic level of service, can I assume that I'm being refunded the cost of my test? Oh ho ho, of course I can't assume that.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
The proctor/administrator gave me a sob story about how they don't get paid for handling PearsonVUE testing, even though they're forced to administer/proctor 80+ tech vendors and nobody shows up...

I missed the details, I was too pissed off from failing and not getting my transcript to hear very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone taken training through Avnet, Global Knowledge, Arrow for Powersystems / IBMi?

How was the quality?