Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Shadow of Mordor does the same thing but this time they aren't exaggerating :metal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Inzombiac posted:

Shadow of Mordor does the same thing but this time they aren't exaggerating :metal:

Yeah it's nice that in Shadow of Mordor there's an act one mission that's "Go to this Orc Coliseum and kill 100 dudes in open combat" and you can just go there and do it pretty much as soon as you unlock the missions for that area.

Dragon Age Inquistion has both good points and bad points but I do enjoy the fact that what appears to be the designated 'sexy lady' female recruitable character in her opening scenes in actual fact wants absolutely no romantic relationship with you whatsoever, no matter who you are. Just plain old not interested.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This is my new favorite thing in games.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

That just reminds me of the Last of Us outtake where they were mocapping one of the scenes and they played a prank on Troy Baker when all the other characters started singing. But then he just plays along by singing too.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

:allears: so can't wait

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I bought two games in the recent Steam Sale: Saint's Row 4 and Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut

Both gave me something to enjoy.

Saint's row; I played through the beginning several times, because I wasn't happy with the character I selected. There's a part in the beginning, where your character exclaims "poo poo [...]", but when I made a character with a French voice, that line was switched to "MERDE [...]".

Shadowrun; one of the first missions has you looking for a guy named "Green Winters", who you know is in a hotel. When you get to that hotel, you have the option of hitting the Security Floor. You don't have to; but if you do, you can check the security terminal that gives you the option to check "Room Number by Guest Name", And if you type "Winters" you get the room he's in.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

Saint's row; I played through the beginning several times, because I wasn't happy with the character I selected. There's a part in the beginning, where your character exclaims "poo poo [...]", but when I made a character with a French voice, that line was switched to "MERDE [...]".

If you have the Nolan North voice he breaks character all the time ("That's how Nolan rolls!") and has random asides during missions like going on a tangent about being illiterate.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Captain Lavender posted:

Shadowrun; one of the first missions has you looking for a guy named "Green Winters", who you know is in a hotel. When you get to that hotel, you have the option of hitting the Security Floor. You don't have to; but if you do, you can check the security terminal that gives you the option to check "Room Number by Guest Name", And if you type "Winters" you get the room he's in.

There are a LOT of "Do you know what makes sense? Then that's the right answer" puzzle solutions. One involves chemistry.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

bewilderment posted:

Yeah it's nice that in Shadow of Mordor there's an act one mission that's "Go to this Orc Coliseum and kill 100 dudes in open combat" and you can just go there and do it pretty much as soon as you unlock the missions for that area.

Dragon Age Inquistion has both good points and bad points but I do enjoy the fact that what appears to be the designated 'sexy lady' female recruitable character in her opening scenes in actual fact wants absolutely no romantic relationship with you whatsoever, no matter who you are. Just plain old not interested.

Yeah, that was pretty funny, she just straight up goes "nope, nothing there at all". While all the romancing is still ridiculously shoehorned in and :rolleye:, at least this time they do try to have a bit of fun with it. When you try to flirt with that diplomatic advisor lady, she'll generally just be completely oblivious to your advances.

"So, now that you've settled in with the inquisition, how do you like it here?"
"Well, some people here certainly make is more pleasant to be around." :wink:
"Oh, really? You must introduce me to them!"

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

That just reminds me of the Last of Us outtake where they were mocapping one of the scenes and they played a prank on Troy Baker when all the other characters started singing. But then he just plays along by singing too.

I looked this up and it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDtNtO7RRr4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I love that stupid loving series so much, you guys.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

barcoded posted:

I'm doing a ghost/nokill run of Dishonoured at the moment, and even though I'm almost at the Lord Regent, there are still no wanted posters up. They haven't noticed anything's wrong yet.

Also, your sword gets bloodstained if you kill anyone - my high chaos run had a grody dull red sword from killing pretty much everyone.

One of the neat things about Dishonored is that the Outsider (basically a god) has shrines located throughout the map. If you pick up the runes/bone charms there he'll speak to you and he will have different dialogue about whether you haven't killed the target, if you did kill them, or if you took the alternate route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujZJvyFwnmg

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

Desperate Character posted:

One of the neat things about Dishonored is that the Outsider (basically a god) has shrines located throughout the map. If you pick up the runes/bone charms there he'll speak to you and he will have different dialogue about whether you haven't killed the target, if you did kill them, or if you took the alternate route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujZJvyFwnmg

Isn't it implied that the Outsider is a god of the whales, as well? The ones being killed for oil?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

barcoded posted:

Isn't it implied that the Outsider is a god of the whales, as well? The ones being killed for oil?

Yep. It's also strongly implied that the world has passed peak whale oil and the whole shebang is set to implode in the near future (which also makes the low chaos happy ending jarring and far less plausible).

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
If you're a fan of the Game of Thrones HBO show, I'd highly recommend downloading Telltale's Game of Thrones for five bucks. GoT is like "Little Things: The Show" and the video game follows suit very well.

Specifically, I loved the scene in the Throne Room of the Red Keep. It starts by making you walk through those huge doors, then you slowly make the long walk towards the throne. The challenge of Telltale games is, of course, in your dialogue choices, and I thought it was an awesome touch how, after certain divisive answers you give, you'll hear hushed whispers and gasps from the court. It really adds to the gravity of your decisions.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

barcoded posted:

There's also an implication that his true form is a leviathan beneath the sea. Though I think the game director says he cannot change form, so I dunno.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

There's also an implication that his true form is a leviathan beneath the sea. Though I think the game director says he cannot change form, so I dunno.
Doesn't mean he can't project avatars of some kind. You're not physically teleporting to the weird other world, I imagine.

Which is kind of me getting into stupid genre fiction meaningless nitpicking, but par for the course I guess

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

bewilderment posted:

Whom do you mean? I can't think of who would count as a 'sexy lady' character.

edit: Oh, you must mean Vivienne. Yeah, I guess. She does have that weird outfit thing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

timp posted:

If you're a fan of the Game of Thrones HBO show, I'd highly recommend downloading Telltale's Game of Thrones for five bucks. GoT is like "Little Things: The Show" and the video game follows suit very well.

Specifically, I loved the scene in the Throne Room of the Red Keep. It starts by making you walk through those huge doors, then you slowly make the long walk towards the throne. The challenge of Telltale games is, of course, in your dialogue choices, and I thought it was an awesome touch how, after certain divisive answers you give, you'll hear hushed whispers and gasps from the court. It really adds to the gravity of your decisions.

Is it, like every other telletale game, episodic though? Because if it is I usually just wait until it's all done because I'm an impatient moron.

More on topic: Deadly Premonition is full of little things that make me happy. Especially regarding the big plot twist of who the killer is, if you explore a bit during certain points of the story it becomes extremely obvious who the killer is. Every NPC's car getting a personalized license plate was kind of fun too.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Nuebot posted:

Is it, like every other telletale game, episodic though? Because if it is I usually just wait until it's all done because I'm an impatient moron.

More on topic: Deadly Premonition is full of little things that make me happy. Especially regarding the big plot twist of who the killer is, if you explore a bit during certain points of the story it becomes extremely obvious who the killer is. Every NPC's car getting a personalized license plate was kind of fun too.

Yeah, except for the fact that one of the license plates flat out tells you who the killer is. Still, great game. York's banter with Zach is always fun to listen to.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

haveblue posted:

Yep. It's also strongly implied that the world has passed peak whale oil and the whole shebang is set to implode in the near future (which also makes the low chaos happy ending jarring and far less plausible).

This is something I'm not sure I understand. The low chaos ending is a culmination of doing everything in your power to assure that Dunwall remains stable and healthy, despite its admittedly terrible problems. Your actions are as a surgeon's, excising disease one cyst at a time. Why does a brighter future seem so far away? One man has the power to steer the fate of the city; why not for the better?

Some people are predisposed towards cynical nihilism, perhaps.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Huszsersvn posted:

This is something I'm not sure I understand. The low chaos ending is a culmination of doing everything in your power to assure that Dunwall remains stable and healthy, despite its admittedly terrible problems. Your actions are as a surgeon's, excising disease one cyst at a time. Why does a brighter future seem so far away? One man has the power to steer the fate of the city; why not for the better?

I think you kind of missed the point of the worldbuilding if you ever thought Dunwall was stable and healthy to begin with, or that one man can somehow turn around complete economic collapse.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Also asides from the fact that the world Dishonoured is set on is circling a black hole, which was in one of the earlyish books you could read.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

efb;

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ignimbrite posted:

Also asides from the fact that the world Dishonoured is set on is circling a black hole, which was in one of the earlyish books you could read.
People have very different interpretations of that one book.

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

Huszsersvn posted:

I interpreted the low chaos ending as the Outsider giving you a slow clap for delaying the inevitable for maybe a generation - OTOH if Piero and Sokolov could stop building machines that vaporize the poor...

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm sorry, but I feel like I'm going to gush about Shadowrun: Dragonfall too much. It's just really well put-together with a lot of subtleties.

Most recently, I was on a mission where I dressed up as janitorial staff with my team to sneak into this office building to reconnoiter it. You can talk to a lot of stuffed-shirt, business types. And though their initial reaction to you is usually mild contempt, depending on how you speak to them, they will treat you with a modicum of respect. This is just amazing to me, as I feel like so many games like to make caricatures of this type of NPC. In this game, that they're not all completely snobby, to me, is an impressive job on this game's part.

Things like, I'll interrupt an executive practicing a speach:
"Dammit, can't you see I'm busy?! ... Ah, I'm sorry, I'm just stressed about this presentation, and they're going to interpret my stammering to my being an Orc." - you tell him, 'Hey hang in there.' - he goes, "Thank you for that, I'm sorry for blowing up at you earlier."

Or another one, there were these affluent parents trying to buy neural upgrades for their son; and an option I had was, "Those aren't cheap, you must really care about your son. You wouldn't want him to end up like me." - and they return "Well, we like to think that we *do* care a lot about him. And you seem like a lovely woman, but yes; we want him to have every opportunity to succeed." And they gave me a heartfelt 'goodbye'.

It's just SO EASY to make 1-dimensional characters, and I'm really impressed to seem some extra effort taken here.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Kotaku just had an article on the audio of Red Dead Redemption, which reminded me just how amazing and full of little things it actually was. There's the audio and music - which were mentioned - but here's some things from Red Dead that I love:

When you cross into Mexico and this song starts playing, it really hits home how far the narrative has changed and how far your character has come, as well as how far you have left to go.

How desolate the desert actually is. There is a palpable sense of loneliness when you look out at a vista at night, and hear a wolf howl.

The voice acting is drat near perfect, especially the snake-oil salesman you do some missions for.

There's some cool mysteries to certain sidequests - the haunted town and the Strange Man for example.

Great, now I have to play the whole game all over again.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

EmmyOk posted:

I love Dishonoured so much, haven't been able to find anything about a sequel though, which makes me sad

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Ignimbrite posted:

And what exactly is wrong with orbiting a black hole?

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

kazil posted:

And what exactly is wrong with orbiting a black hole?

Yeah, we're all doing it RIGHT NOW!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Arx Monolith posted:

Yeah, we're all doing it RIGHT NOW!

No I bleached my butthole last week. It`s now more of an off-white.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nuclear War posted:

I love Dishonoured so much, haven't been able to find anything about a sequel though, which makes me sad

There was some cool promo art released for a sequel but it turned out to be fake and sneakily made out of promo art from the first game. :smith:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nuclear War posted:

Bethesda greenlit it so it is happening, but that's all we know for sure.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did that Darkness of Tyvia stuff turn out to be fake?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

EmmyOk posted:

Did that Darkness of Tyvia stuff turn out to be fake?

There are no physical screenshots of it other than a single photo of a press conference slide show, and a bethsoft rep said “we don’t comment on rumour or speculation.” in response to being asked about it. The rest of the "information" that has been provided about it has been on promo art (see the article I linked) that is made up of Dishonored 1 promo art. I wouldn't say it's been debunked so much as it'd be a long shot to assume it's real from what we know about it.

edit: Also, here's where the slideshow and the fact sheet promo art came from in the first place (via neogaf)

quote:

The first email reads “That might be of interest for you. Cant tell my sources. Your choice.” and the second states that the images were “part of an internal presentation of Bethesdas E3 2014 coverage … We saw this as part of an interactive Powerpoint Presentation (more infos when they clicked on the fields, videos, etc).”

So, yeah. "I can't tell you my sources" is basically code for "this isn't real don't believe anything I say".

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Dec 7, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

rear end Creed: Black Flag.

You can climb windmills. In general, though I hate the trees, the idea of having something to climb that isn't a large square building is fun.

You can do sick headshots with your muskets and pistoles.

Being able to parkour through crowds without stumbling is rather nice.

I kinda like playing dressup with my characters, and the game achieves a good balance - its not just differently colored robes as in the previous rear end Creed's, but you don't get overwhelmed by a gazillion options a-la every other sandbox game.

I'm not fond of random item collections in Ubisoft games, but the animus fragments are actually kinda fun. Getting to each is generally just a bit challenging - enough so that it's not just a chore (unless they're on an island, of course).
Took time out of a chase scene to pet a puppy (Important amendum – you can also pet kitties)

The storms in this game look and feel really nice. At one point I was cresting a killer wave with a bunch of enemy ships getting crashed all around me, and could swear a kraken/Cthulhu was about to raise from the deeps any devour everyone involved (that would have been the best easter egg ever)

On that note – tried taking on a fort in the middle of a storm, with a bunch of pirate hunters barging into the fight every few minutes (which was good, because I couldn't seem to knock out the fort's final tower, and really needed the constant repairs boarding gave me). Felt kinda like Corwin towards the end there.

Black panther attack takes out the enemy in the middle of an assassination mission. Totally Far Cry.

Fought some enemy soldiers on a pirate island. Got chased back to my ship at the dock. My crew drew pistols and gunned them all down. (Still would have preferred it if I could use my canons to blow them all away)
The world is massive (compared to previous rear end Creed games) and there's a decent reason to explore most of it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

There are no physical screenshots of it other than a single photo of a press conference slide show, and a bethsoft rep said “we don’t comment on rumour or speculation.” in response to being asked about it. The rest of the "information" that has been provided about it has been on promo art (see the article I linked) that is made up of Dishonored 1 promo art. I wouldn't say it's been debunked so much as it'd be a long shot to assume it's real from what we know about it.

I see! Thanks for such a thorough reply!

I'm replaying Final Fantasy X at the minute after picking up the HD release. I like that they talk to each other depending on who you have in your battle party. For example Lulu and Wakka, or Auron and Tidus.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
In Dragon Age: Inquisition, there's a dragon in a starting area that's likely going to be the first dragon you end up fighting. As you run through the valley it lives in, it keeps flying by overhead and divebombing you with fire with you're assaulted by smaller dragonlings.

Then you reach the big open area where it's made its home. You see the dragon land in the distance, and then the music starts.

Slowly at first. And then as you get closer, the music starts getting more and more intense. And then when it really kicks into gear, your characters enter the arena proper and unsheathe their weapons. It does an amazing job of pumping you up to fight this giant creature the size of a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

My favorite thing about dragon fights is the ungodly screech they let out when calling in dragonlings. It's so unexpected from something so huge.