Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Schneider Heim posted:

I haven't read the original Hulk run beyond issue #1, but was there ever an explanation why Hulk became green from gray (and switching every now and then over the years)?

It was easier to get consistent greens than greys from 60's comic book printers. In universe I think Peter David's run addresses it, but I haven't actually read it. (It's on my list, but I'm still working through Lee/Kirby F4 and Claremont's X-Men).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

I haven't read the original Hulk run beyond issue #1, but was there ever an explanation why Hulk became green from gray (and switching every now and then over the years)?

Per Stan Lee in The Origins of Marvel Comics (which means take with a heavy dose of salt), the real-world explanation for why he was gray and then became green was that the color separation caused a really inconsistent look for the Hulk when he was gray. It was so off in one panel toward the end that the Hulk looked green and Stan went, "Hey... that could work!"

The comic book explanation is... well, it was ignored for twenty-five years. It was the first issue so no one really cared and it was essentially trivia for comic nerds. Then Peter David came along in that period when everyone was going, "How about we try revamping things a bit." The Hulk was hit by a second gamma bomb and everyone thought he was dead. Instead, he went back to the original Hulk rules: gray skin, average intelligence, more malevolent, and changing at dusk and dawn. That was the Mr. Fixit period. Then the Hulk starts having issues where he starts going green, Banner is raging and childlike, he partially transforms, and things like that. That's when David whips out the thing that's kind of defined the character since then: the Hulk isn't like multiple personalities, Bruce Banner literally has MPD and each personality is a different facet of the Hulk. Then he gets therapy to resolve these personalities into one, commonly called Professor Hulk by fans, but that's its own story.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Since he's apparently going to be a major character in The Flash TV show, can someone explain who Firestorm is?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chris Sims made a short video running down Firestorm's history a while ago.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That is way too detailed for what the show is probably going to shorten into "loved character A, died saving city, has fire powers".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

That is way too detailed for what the show is probably going to shorten into "loved character A, died saving city, has fire powers".

They've cast the other two dudes who commonly make up Firestorm. And this is a show that has had Rainbow Raider and Grodd appear.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SirDan3k posted:

Firestorm has general molecular-related powers, right? It's just the name and the hair that makes everyone think he's fire-based.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I can alter the molecular composition of all inorganic(?) material. Better shoot lasers! Same reason Green Lantern is mega lame in 90% of portrayals.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Chinaman7000 posted:

I can alter the molecular composition of all inorganic(?) material. Better shoot lasers! Same reason Green Lantern is mega lame in 90% of portrayals.

Animation budgets?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Okay, so what are all the current DC Bat books that are good? I've lost track. Anything else good going on in DC?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

10 Beers posted:

Okay, so what are all the current DC Bat books that are good? I've lost track. Anything else good going on in DC?

I like Batman, Detective Comics, and Batgirl. I also think Justice League and Superman are quite good right now.
EDIT: I don't care about Future's End but the rest of those he listed below are good too

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 3, 2014

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

10 Beers posted:

Anything else good going on in DC?

It depends on who you ask. People who read DC books think that there are some that are good. People who only read ABOUT the books on blogs and forums think that everything is terrible. I'm one of the former. Here's what I think is good:

Batman
Detective Comics
Infinity Man and the Forever People
Justice League 3000
Justice League United
New 52 Futures End
Star Spangled War Stories Featuring G.I. Zombie
Superman
Swamp Thing

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

chime_on posted:

It depends on who you ask. People who read DC books think that there are some that are good. People who only read ABOUT the books on blogs and forums think that everything is terrible. I'm one of the former. Here's what I think is good:

Batman
Detective Comics
Infinity Man and the Forever People
Justice League 3000
Justice League United
New 52 Futures End
Superman
Swamp Thing

Batman and Robin is pretty good.
Green Arrow by Lemire is also pretty great.
Action Comics is also good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm currently enjoying

Batgrl
Batman and Robin
Batman (up to the latest issue)
Action
Earth 2
Sinestro (aside from this crossover)
Wonder Woman (up to #36, gently caress it after that)
Batman Superman
Superman
Justice League 3000
Justice League United
Superman Wonder Woman.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

chime_on posted:

... That's a real title? That's kind of amazing, especially coming from one of the Big Two.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I'm currently enjoying

Batman (up to the latest issue)

In that you did not care for the latest issue at all?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

In that you did not care for the latest issue at all?

I didn't like the overdone "Batman is prepared to fight Superman at all times nonsense. I'm still going to read the book but that fight scene was pretty bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I didn't like the overdone "Batman is prepared to fight Superman at all times nonsense. I'm still going to read the book but that fight scene was pretty bad.

Due to Doomed I could see him being more prepared for Superman needing to be stopped. He is also hanging around Lex a lot.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

I can't tell if you did that on purpose or not.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

10 Beers posted:

Anything else good going on in DC?
People hit most of it above, but in the "so far, so good" category, Gotham Academy, Gotham by Midnight and Secret Six (out today) are newer titles I've enjoyed. I also liked the 30 issue New 52 run of Suicide Squad, but New Suicide Squad isn't quite there for me yet through 4 issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Due to Doomed I could see him being more prepared for Superman needing to be stopped. He is also hanging around Lex a lot.

I guess. I just didn't like it much. Still willing to give Snyder some leeway for future issues.

Senor Candle posted:

I can't tell if you did that on purpose or not.

Whoops.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Batgrrl

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm down with it.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I thought Lemire left Green Arrow after his first run (the one with the different weapon clubs/totems), when did he go back to the book?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Vincent posted:

I thought Lemire left Green Arrow after his first run (the one with the different weapon clubs/totems), when did he go back to the book?

Yeah but his run is still great. Do not forget the Future End issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Meanwhile "Tv Show Except Not" Green Arrow is pretty bad.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but his run is still great. Do not forget the Future End issue.

Yeah, that story was very good, but I was asking if he went back to the book because I thought you meant that Lemire was writing GA again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Since he's apparently going to be a major character in The Flash TV show, can someone explain who Firestorm is?

Here is a brief rundown. The first Firestorm was Ronnie Raymond/Prof. Stein. Raymond was a somewhat dumb jock who want to anti-nuclear power demonstration to impress some girl. There was a meltdown and some magical radioctive things happened and Raymond's body combined with Stein's consciousness to form Firestorm. This was for the best as Raymond wasn't really great at science stuff so he depended on Steins voice inside his head to beat villains with more than just fire-blasts.
Due to flagging sales Ostrander came onto the title and changed Firestorm into a fire elemental that was pretty...trippy I want to say (I haven't read those comics since I was 10 so cut me some slack).
Later on Raymond "dies" and his powers transfer into Jason Rusch (who has also been cast in Flash apparently). Jason was also a high school kid but smarter than Ronnie. Unlike Ronnie who bonded with Stein, Jason could bond his powers with whoever was nearby. The downside of this was that it generally drained the person Jason bonded with. Anyway after a shaky start the Jason Firestorm stuff got pretty good so of course it wasn't longed for this world.
Enter the new 52 which was fairly lovely (though I heard it get better after the initial creative team left the book but I stopped reading it by then) which had Jason and Ronnie be classmates who hate each other (one's the jock, the others the brains, oh no!). The were each a separate Firestorm but when they combined they became Fury.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Madkal posted:

Here is a brief rundown. The first Firestorm was Ronnie Raymond/Prof. Stein. Raymond was a somewhat dumb jock who want to anti-nuclear power demonstration to impress some girl. There was a meltdown and some magical radioctive things happened and Raymond's body combined with Stein's consciousness to form Firestorm. This was for the best as Raymond wasn't really great at science stuff so he depended on Steins voice inside his head to beat villains with more than just fire-blasts.
Due to flagging sales Ostrander came onto the title and changed Firestorm into a fire elemental that was pretty...trippy I want to say (I haven't read those comics since I was 10 so cut me some slack).
Later on Raymond "dies" and his powers transfer into Jason Rusch (who has also been cast in Flash apparently). Jason was also a high school kid but smarter than Ronnie. Unlike Ronnie who bonded with Stein, Jason could bond his powers with whoever was nearby. The downside of this was that it generally drained the person Jason bonded with. Anyway after a shaky start the Jason Firestorm stuff got pretty good so of course it wasn't longed for this world.
Enter the new 52 which was fairly lovely (though I heard it get better after the initial creative team left the book but I stopped reading it by then) which had Jason and Ronnie be classmates who hate each other (one's the jock, the others the brains, oh no!). The were each a separate Firestorm but when they combined they became Fury.

There was a boy-girl Firestorm before Blackest Night, wasn't there? And then she got killed. :(

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

prefect posted:

There was a boy-girl Firestorm before Blackest Night, wasn't there? And then she got killed. :(

That was Jason's girlfriend Gehenna, who had her own rather unique powers.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

That was Jason's girlfriend Gehenna, who had her own rather unique powers.
She was a real salt-of-the-earth girl, too.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

redbackground posted:

She was a real salt-of-the-earth girl, too.

DAD?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thanks, guys! Guess I might as well ask, what's everyone reading from Marvel?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The only Marvel title I read month to month is Ms. Marvel. I wait for the collected editions of Daredevil, Deadpool, Hawkeye, She-Hulk, Superior Spider-Man, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and Thunderbolts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm down to Hawkeye (when it comes out), Rocket Raccoon (great art, alright story), Elektra (still not sure if I'd recommend it) and Hawkeye vs Deadpool (one good issue, two okay issues).

I'm reading a bunch of books my friend gets, but the only one I look forward to is Thor.

Edit: ^^^^^^ Oh, yeah, Daredevil in trade and I really want to read Ms. Marvel but will wait for an eventual comiXology sale.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

I'm down to Hawkeye (when it comes out), Rocket Raccoon (great art, alright story), Elektra (still not sure if I'd recommend it) and Hawkeye vs Deadpool (one good issue, two okay issues).

I'm reading a bunch of books my friend gets, but the only one I look forward to is Thor.

Edit: ^^^^^^ Oh, yeah, Daredevil in trade and I really want to read Ms. Marvel but will wait for an eventual comiXology sale.

Well, you won't have to worry about recommending Elektra much longer!

My monthly Marvel reading is something like:
Avengers
New Avengers
Daredevil (ending soonish)
Elektra (canceled)
Rocket Raccoon (probably dropping)
Cyclops (might drop)
Thor
Angela (giving it another couple issues, anyway)
Loki
She-Hulk (canceled)
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ms. Marvel
Miracleman
Hawkeye (almost done)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I liked the first two TPBs of Avengers/New Avengers. My friend got the books and gave me his digital codes. I think he's switched over to Marvel Unlimited, so I think I need to grab those on my own sometime in the future.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Uthor posted:

... That's a real title? That's kind of amazing, especially coming from one of the Big Two.

It is. Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray, it is a super-weird blend of horror and war/espionage based around the black comedy premise of sending an undead soldier on what would otherwise be suicide missions. The covers are by Darwyn Cooke, interior art is by Scott Hampton. It's a gem that I don't think anyone besides me is reading, so I'm sure cancellation is in the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are the omnibus that Dark Horse published of Lone War and Cub traditional U.S. comics style, or are they published like manga?