Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I refuse to accept that really morbidly obese birds are somehow gonna be really energetic in bed, when they can't be arsed with physical activity at any other point in their lives.

Flatscan posted:

If by "filth" you mean the sheets have food stains on them, I would agree.

Ugh, can we no, please, no fatshaming.

Me thinking shes filthy in bed has nothing to do with her being fat tbf, I think say Vanessa Feltz would be a crap shag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Jesus loving Christ, shut up!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
For some unknown reason any prolonged discussion of British television among two or more British men is bound to devolve into discussion of sexual capabilities and preferences. I noticed this two years ago and so far the theory seems to be working.

Still waiting for results on men from Australia and Ireland, though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Already got through the first series of I'm Alan Partridge, its sheer britishness threw me off at first but I'm loving it now.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 10, 2018

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, the last ten minutes of the latest episode of Toast Of London you never guess who shows.

That entire episode was so silly and such fun (especially after a several-days-from-hell real life), but I actually went :neckbeard: when that person walked through the door.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Paladinus posted:

For some unknown reason any prolonged discussion of British television among two or more British men is bound to devolve into discussion of sexual capabilities and preferences. I noticed this two years ago and so far the theory seems to be working.

Still waiting for results on men from Australia and Ireland, though.

If it helps I'm Irish and can confirm. Would definitely be willing to dissapoint Mary Berry, but neither Mel nor Sue. I think your observation can be readily generalised to all discussions about anything though

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've really got to stop reading Mary Berry as Matt Berry.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've really got to stop reading Mary Berry as Matt Berry.
There should really be a crossover Xmas special. Still would BTW.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

WeAreTheRomans posted:

If it helps I'm Irish and can confirm. Would definitely be willing to dissapoint Mary Berry, but neither Mel nor Sue. I think your observation can be readily generalised to all discussions about anything though

tbh I dont think youve got a chance with Mary because *checks notebook* you once said Sue Perkins was "worse than cancer"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That last episode of Toast of London is just stunning. Three unexpected appearances and Neil Hannon helps out on one of the songs.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

That last episode of Toast of London is just stunning. Three unexpected appearances and Neil Hannon helps out on one of the songs.

Not to mention what we learn about Clem Fandango.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Big Taff Man posted:

tbh I dont think youve got a chance with Mary because *checks notebook* you once said Sue Perkins was "worse than cancer"

I'm pretty sure she'd agree, there's plenty of evil eye being thrown around in that tent.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
5 Demand is being pretty poo poo at the moment. It's fallen over so many times I think I've literally had to sit through 30 minutes worth of adverts to make it 30 minutes through a programme. But I'm sure the Channel 5 accuntants lovely all that advert income.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I doubt anyone on here still watches Waterloo road, but Lisa and Shaznay are loving scumbags. How they haven't been expelled or prosecuted so far this season is beyond me.

Why am I watching this poo poo? :bang:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Another big problem with 5 Demand is that Channel 5 is awful and so all the shows on it are awful too. Or so I imagine.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Pablo Bluth posted:

5 Demand is being pretty poo poo at the moment. It's fallen over so many times I think I've literally had to sit through 30 minutes worth of adverts to make it 30 minutes through a programme. But I'm sure the Channel 5 accuntants lovely all that advert income.

What's on channel 5 that you could possibly want to catch up on?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is Gotham on there? I guess I might see how ABP deals with it for that.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Are you watching on PC or on console? We found that the Xbox version has significantly more adverts than the PC one for some reason, so only watch on PC now. It chops the time from like 1hr to 40 mins. :confused:

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is Gotham on there? I guess I might see how ABP deals with it for that.

Yeah, that.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

I doubt anyone on here still watches Waterloo road, but Lisa and Shaznay are loving scumbags. How they haven't been expelled or prosecuted so far this season is beyond me.

It's the final series so you might as well.

And my friend is a teacher now and calls bullshit on every scene a teacher doesn't follow protocol.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I've been enjoying watching 'The Missing'.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I've been enjoying watching 'The Missing'.

I don't think you're meant to enjoy it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I gave the show a try, and really liked it in series one. It seemed like they treated things as serious business, with a angry father actually being arrested for showing up and punching a teacher, and how that would result in his son being taken into care and have repercussions beyond that little fight.

2 series later there's all sorts of unbelievable behavior going on that isn't addressed because the show turned into a lovely soap drama. The tipping point for me was the autistic girl brought to the school and how the older flirty blond woman who was now the school nurse didn't even bother to give the girl her meds, so when the older rear end in a top hat teacher starting yelling and berating the girl she panicked and threw a chair at him, leading to teachers threatening to strike and that one rear end in a top hat guy still blaming the school head for his wife dying when she ran into a knife. For the kicker the nurse was all "oh what did it matter, she's a spaz anyway" went confronted on failing to do her (extremely important) job, like it would've been okay to forget to give a diabetic child their insulin.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Surely Waterloo Road has been around longer than that?

Every other actor I meet started on Waterloo Road.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wikipedia says 10 series.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Yay! Third Toast of London series commissioned!

For your pleasiure:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/dec/08/toast-of-london-third-series-commissioned

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yes. Yessssss. More Matt Berry on the telly. Life is good.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Ms Boods posted:

Yay! Third Toast of London series commissioned!

For your pleasiure:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/dec/08/toast-of-london-third-series-commissioned

Woo. Does that mean episode 6 was the season finale then? Boooo.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
"Oh I'm leaving, but I'll be back in the morning for my share of the business... and the baby"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there one more episode for the Missing or is it being stretched out into another series?

Because i'm not really sure it has the legs for another one without each episode devolving into last minute 24 styled "oopsisms" that get in the way of the investigation (which has already been happening to an extent).

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Kin posted:

Is there one more episode for the Missing or is it being stretched out into another series?

Because i'm not really sure it has the legs for another one without each episode devolving into last minute 24 styled "oopsisms" that get in the way of the investigation (which has already been happening to an extent).
I hope not. It's pretty good but it feels a bit generic at this point. The concept and the first couple of episodes were really good but there's a lot of stuff going on which undermines it's strengths. It just doesn't feel "real" anymore if that makes sense.

I think I compared it to The Fall earlier in the thread. This series is just about getting away with it whereas I think The Missing would drop the ball.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Kin posted:

“It’s in negotiations, I think that’s fair to say,” Jack told the Guardian. “It’s definitely something we are keen to do and [the BBC] feel like they’re keen to do but to say any more may be too difficult.”

so it's almost certainly getting another series as it's been quite a hit. I agree that it probably isn't a good thing for there to be another series though

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If the series ends without some sense of closure, then I won't bother with the next one. I'd rather watch a new cast and storyline than see this one get dragged out and become increasingly convoluted.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

If the series ends without some sense of closure, then I won't bother with the next one. I'd rather watch a new cast and storyline than see this one get dragged out and become increasingly convoluted.

Agreed. I've been enjoying this one from week to week, but if it's not wrapped up in some way next week, fie on wasting the time I've invested. Eight weeks is already two episodes too long.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I'm trying to get into Atlantis, but I can't get over the fact that Jason has seemed to forget he came from our time and never speaks of his past life..

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

rocket_man38 posted:

I'm trying to get into Atlantis, but I can't get over the fact that Jason has seemed to forget he came from our time and never speaks of his past life..

Have they ever referenced that again? I only half watch the show, but it really doesn't seem like that background is remotely congruent with the show as is.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paperhouse posted:

“It’s in negotiations, I think that’s fair to say,” Jack told the Guardian. “It’s definitely something we are keen to do and [the BBC] feel like they’re keen to do but to say any more may be too difficult.”

so it's almost certainly getting another series as it's been quite a hit. I agree that it probably isn't a good thing for there to be another series though

I just hope they're planning a different story for the next series like Fargo and True Detective did.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Total Meatlove posted:

You'd have a job, I think series one was around on YouTube but the Beeb are never putting out a dvd

Um.....I have this on DVD and it is still for sale.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monkey-Dust-Series-1-DVD/dp/B0002CH914

Any one watching 'The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies'? I've got 3/4 of the way through the first one on the ITV player but had to give up as a) Our internet is crappy b)I got stuck in an ad loop :(

I lived in Bristol when it all happened and I remember thinking that the press's treatment of that guy was shocking.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Surprised no-one's mentioned The Inbetweeners yet. The movies might have dragged the arse out of it, but the original three series are still absolute gold. For the uninitiated, think "Peep Show but with teenagers" and you're not far off.

I thought the first film was a pile of shite that tried to tick all the teen movie cliché boxes the TV series had done so well to subvert. The second film learned from that and as a result was very good and an excellent send off to the franchise.

Al2001 posted:

Along the same lines I also think Fresh Meat is great but I know it's not an undisputed thread favourite. Series 2&3 are a dramatic improvement on 1 if memory serves.

I honestly think Fresh Meat is one of the best sitcoms/dramas in recent memory. Might even win out against Peep Show, which has been my favourite for a long time. It took a while for me to get invested, but it has that amazing quality of being so subtly written that every time I rewatch an episode I pick up on something new. Armstrong and Bain are just absurdly talented writers. Also I'd hump Kimberley Nixon until it fell off so that helps.

e: And I just read that it's been commissioned for a fourth series. Get the gently caress in.

As far as lesser known comedies go, Chickens was hugely underrated. Think the Inbetweeners set during WW1. It's gimmicky sure, but it's drat funny. Shame it was only shown on Sky and doesn't look like it'll get a second series.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 11, 2014

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rondette posted:

Any one watching 'The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies'? I've got 3/4 of the way through the first one on the ITV player but had to give up as a) Our internet is crappy b)I got stuck in an ad loop :(

I lived in Bristol when it all happened and I remember thinking that the press's treatment of that guy was shocking.

I'm watching and it's very well done, though very uncomfortable viewing. And I'm not sure how...moral (for lack of a better word) it is to insert actual news footage of Joanna Yeates' family into a dramatisation like this, given how the point of the drama is about how the media trampled all over an innocent persons' life in order to spin a juicy story out of it. I also found it horrible that the drama was sponsored by Sky, given the Murdoch media empires' very well documented participation in the hounding of the poor man.

The guy who plays Jeffries is remarkably good in it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

ThomasPaine posted:

As far as lesser known comedies go, Chickens was hugely underrated. Think the Inbetweeners set during WW1. It's gimmicky sure, but it's drat funny. Shame it was only shown on Sky and doesn't look like it'll get a second series.

This was loving awful.