Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I had a Portal 2 update, anyone know what that's about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

flatluigi posted:

It's a source game so chances are good it's a minor source engine update that has been applied to the instance Portal 2 uses.

Happens quite a bit with Source games.

Could be preparation for an upcoming Christmas event, I guess. We might start to see more of these mysterious updates for various games.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

http://theportalwiki.com/wiki/December_04,_2014_Patch

Patch notes:

Hats have been fixed

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
http://store.steampowered.com/app/317840/

Kind of excited for this one, saw it in Greenlight and it looked nice.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

The most important update

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Blackguards is on sale this weekend. $10

Worth it? I don't see a thread about the game, but I do see a friend of mine playing it a bunch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It was in a Humble Bundle for a few bucks not long ago. Other than that, can't say how the game is. I heard boring, but a decent enough SRPG.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bhodi posted:

Blackguards is on sale this weekend. $10

Worth it? I don't see a thread about the game, but I do see a friend of mine playing it a bunch.
I played it recently and found it actively mediocre to lovely, with a really overwrought character system coupled with an extremely barebones actual 'game' side beyond the battles, which were okay but would randomly not let you heal and seemed balanced around exploiting mana that regenerates in combat, but not out of combat? Like what the hell?

Also this is spergy but if you're going to have some super complex character sheet with a million levers and dials, it feels really jarring to finish up a battle and the game just arbitarily hands you "50 Adventure Points" or 25 or 0 with no real bearing made on how difficult the battle was. And seriously, finishing a fight and getting no experience because its all arbitary horseshit is just surreal.

I didn't play it very much. It reminds me a lot of other so-so games where it feels like I'd play the poo poo out of it when I was 13, but in the backlog era there's no excuse to play something so meh.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Spiderdrake posted:

I played it recently and found it actively mediocre to lovely, with a really overwrought character system coupled with an extremely barebones actual 'game' side beyond the battles, which were okay but would randomly not let you heal and seemed balanced around exploiting mana that regenerates in combat, but not out of combat? Like what the hell?

From my experience the main grievance I had with Blackguards is that it has an absolutely freakish amount of crowd control coming your way as you progress to later fights to the point where you can routinely end up having turn after turn roll by where you basically can't do anything at all with half or more of your party as they get repeatedly stunned / knocked down / petrified / whatever with little evident recourse. On the flipside, you frequently have a pretty significant chance to miss attacks, spells, etc. on your end--so between those two sides of the coin I found that a great many combat turns were either spent unable to do anything or whiffing an attack/spell/whatever on the chances I had to do something.

I ended up giving up on it around the time that you end up in protracted fights with the lizardfolk, who coupled suddenly having an even higher evasion than previous enemies with having tons of long-range knockdown attacks and other maddening elements that just added up to make it too much of a chore to play anymore.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

The Colonel posted:

Deponia is fun, Chaos on Deponia is pretty good, Goodbye Deponia is absolutely wretched.

Why is Goodbye Deponia wretched? Is it bugs, annoying puzzles, bad writing, or an absolutely intolerable protagonist?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Surprise best coincidence is the launch of the Jack party pack along with the steam streaming. It's a blast because you can literally just broadcast and play with random folk using a web browser.

Someone hast been hosting a broadcast all day for people to join in here

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 5, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Why is Goodbye Deponia wretched? Is it bugs, annoying puzzles, bad writing, or an absolutely intolerable protagonist?

From reports, a combination of an absolutely intolerable protagonist and bad writing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

People who got into the Carmaggedon Kickstarter, you get the free game in your inventory. It's awesome, they are actually giving people the chance to add the turd game to one's account voluntarily. I love these guys -- it's the little touches. I have far more trust in them finishing their game than most big indie studios on Earlier Access/Kickstarter.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Free Game: QBGVE-GPEJ7-QYVA4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I enjoyed Deponia, but I expected the other two games to be about the main character actually having some character development and becoming less of a horrible person based off of how the game ended.

Chaos on Deponia doesn't really have him improve at all, but there was still some stuff in it I enjoyed. Based off of what I've seen and heard, in Goodbye Deponia he's actually even worse and the game is just goddamned terrible as a result. There was an LP of it a while ago, and the reactions to Goodbye Deponia in that thread were not positive.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
That Let's Play thread has someone describe the series as being an example of trying to have your cake and eat it too in writing. The justification for the protagonist being so horrible is that it's "satire" of how inexplicably dickish adventure game protagonists are, but it gets really tiring (especially over multiple games) how he'll never get any serious repercussions beyond a goofy "oh that cad!" I wonder if this is what those German Simon the Sorceror games everybody hates are like.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

He tries to con a black woman into a job as an organ grinders monkey. Don't play Deponia 3

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, the lead writer basically pulled a Far Cry 3 about that puzzle. Of COURSE it's the fault of the audience for being so dumb that they can't pick up on the elaborate and sophisticated satire of a cartoon video game where you force a black woman into a revealing outfit and make her act like a trained monkey. If you find anything objectionable about that, it's because you hate art.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
For the first time ever after clicking yes to a steam restart for an update (albeit accidentally), steam has broken

"Failed to load steamui.dll"

Welp. Anything I can do or should I wait for a fix?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
My steam profile tells me i own 817 games now.
But it's been just a month, maybe 6 weeks tops, that i watched my steam badge get promoted to "Director of Acquisitions" for breaking the 500 games owned barrier.

What the hell happened.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Logan 5 posted:

For the first time ever after clicking yes to a steam restart for an update (albeit accidentally), steam has broken

"Failed to load steamui.dll"

Welp. Anything I can do or should I wait for a fix?

Same thing happened to me.

I'm free.

I'm finally free.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HenryEx posted:

My steam profile tells me i own 817 games now.
But it's been just a month, maybe 6 weeks tops, that i watched my steam badge get promoted to "Director of Acquisitions" for breaking the 500 games owned barrier.

What the hell happened.

The dark void of sales, one assumes.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

Add "-clientbeta client_candidate" to the Target field of your Steam shortcut (C:\Steam\Steam.exe -clientbeta client_candidate) and it should update and work again.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HenryEx posted:

What the hell happened.

You have a problem and should probably tell someone close to you.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
You can also go to Steam/Package and delete the 'beta' file and it will work again, but you have to opt back into the beta.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Nullset posted:

Add "-clientbeta client_candidate" to the Target field of your Steam shortcut (C:\Steam\Steam.exe -clientbeta client_candidate) and it should update and work again.

Freak Futanari posted:

You can also go to Steam/Package and delete the 'beta' file and it will work again, but you have to opt back into the beta.

Ah yes, I did opt into the beta for the streaming, completely forgot.

Freedom is shortlived apparently.

Orpheus77
Nov 17, 2007

Ragequit posted:

You have a problem and should probably tell someone close to you.

Well this right here is false. He should now buy games on gog.com.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Orpheus77 posted:

Well this right here is false. He should now buy games on gog.com.

This is bad advice. GOG doesn't have profile icons telling you that you are the best at buying games. How would he know he had a problem otherwise?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

This is bad advice. GOG doesn't have profile icons telling you that you are the best at buying games. How would he know he had a problem otherwise?

When he owns Ultima 9.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a way of seeing GOG.com exclusive games compared to what is on Steam? On a quest to own all digital video games~

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fishbus posted:

Surprise best coincidence is the launch of the Jack party pack along with the steam streaming. It's a blast because you can literally just broadcast and play with random folk using a web browser.

Someone hast been hosting a broadcast all day for people to join in here

I jumped into a steam the other night (might be the same one even; can't tell from here) and a few JackBox devs were present and said they were happy to see folks streaming it, which is cool of them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Orv posted:

Very. Get the patch and it is exceedingly so.

So what was this about a Tron 2.0 patch?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So what was this about a Tron 2.0 patch?

It's this mod. It was late and I called it a patch, though it does require a patch which is here.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

The Colonel posted:

I enjoyed Deponia, but I expected the other two games to be about the main character actually having some character development and becoming less of a horrible person based off of how the game ended.

Chaos on Deponia doesn't really have him improve at all, but there was still some stuff in it I enjoyed. Based off of what I've seen and heard, in Goodbye Deponia he's actually even worse and the game is just goddamned terrible as a result. There was an LP of it a while ago, and the reactions to Goodbye Deponia in that thread were not positive.

Okay, that's a shame then. I mean he was a big dick for almost all of the first game, but at the end there were signs of character development, so if that just went to nothing, then I may as well give the third game a pass.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Orv posted:

It's this mod. It was late and I called it a patch, though it does require a patch which is here.

How do I use that patch? Its just saying something about unable to create a directory?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, the lead writer basically pulled a Far Cry 3 about that puzzle. Of COURSE it's the fault of the audience for being so dumb that they can't pick up on the elaborate and sophisticated satire of a cartoon video game where you force a black woman into a revealing outfit and make her act like a trained monkey. If you find anything objectionable about that, it's because you hate art.

You'd think writers couldn't possibly name the love interest "Goal" without a modicum of self-awareness, but as it turns out... nope.

Nnnope. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo Dead State was being worked on all this time?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

frankly I wouldn't put anything past the writer of a game which describes itself as both crazy and wacky on its storepage

Orv
May 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How do I use that patch? Its just saying something about unable to create a directory?

Try running it from inside the TRON 2.0 folder? :shrug: It's been a while since I did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

SynthOrange posted:

Holy poo poo Dead State was being worked on all this time?

It was a team of ~2

• Locked thread