Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Steam is making GBS threads the loving bed for me atm but conveniently this is also how I learned that the friends tab now tells you when it's trying to connect:

instead of just being like "fuckin steam is down who even knows when it'll be back up we'll keep trying to connect pinky swear".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yay someone is ddosing steam.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/LizardPatrol

The lizard squad people are claiming credit for it but I bet it's not them and they're trying to take credit, because this has been happening like all day and they just tweeted about it half an hour ago.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Orv posted:

Try running it from inside the TRON 2.0 folder? :shrug: It's been a while since I did it.

Did that, no good. Guess I'll have to google it later.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

The lizard squad people are claiming credit for it but I bet it's not them and they're trying to take credit, because this has been happening like all day and they just tweeted about it half an hour ago.

They've been dicking with Sony recently.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

CJacobs posted:

Steam is making GBS threads the loving bed for me atm but conveniently this is also how I learned that the friends tab now tells you when it's trying to connect:

instead of just being like "fuckin steam is down who even knows when it'll be back up we'll keep trying to connect pinky swear".

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yay someone is ddosing steam.

Actually when it was down my friendslist window had a message about routine maintenance. Dunno if that was true or not, should've gotten a screenshot.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I chose the wrong time to reinstall Steam on the laptop, now it wants a steamguard code but it's not sending out the emails.

I just wanted to play some Hexcells during one of those rare times when the baby was asleep :suicide:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Great job lizardpatrol, you have mildly inconvenienced millions of gamers including my awesome friend who gets like 2 nights a week to play video games.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I watched Kung Fu Hustle instead of playing video games tonight. Truly a dark age we live in with lizards controlling the entertainment industry.

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.
I decided to fire up Payday 2 for the first time just a few minutes ago. I felt so confused because I couldn't figure out how to get into a game. Looks like it was the lizard people screwing with us again.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Away all Goats posted:

Great job lizardpatrol, you have mildly inconvenienced millions of gamers including my awesome friend who gets like 2 nights a week to play video games.

Yeah this was my night to play games. gently caress this.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

CJacobs posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats

Uhh... great work leet haxors? I just shrugged it off as a maintenance thing.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Deakul posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats

Uhh... great work leet haxors? I just shrugged it off as a maintenance thing.

That graph hasn't updated in like half an hour, presumably because it's falling back on old data because it can't get new data. I imagine it if could actually get the real number of users we'd be seeing a huge dip.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Steamstat.us is more to-the-minute accurate and there was an almost 2mil dip when the servers went down but things are mostly fixed now. Grats lizard squad you managed to mildly inconvenience a lot of people for like an hour. FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT ANARCHY FOREVER

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What was even the point? Did Valve do something to offend single white male 20-somethings in the past few weeks, or was this just a couple of script kiddies trying to prove that they're ready for the big leagues?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

404notfound posted:

What was even the point? Did Valve do something to offend single white male 20-somethings in the past few weeks, or was this just a couple of script kiddies trying to prove that they're ready for the big leagues?

They're trying to stay relevant after people forgot they existed once their first twitter got shut down.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So what was this about a Tron 2.0 patch?

I also couldn't get it to work, but I tried running the Killer-App fix after the patch wouldn't install, and it says to do it with Steam closed.

So, here's what I did:

1. Close Steam
2. Install the unofficial patch here
3. Open Steam, run the game (you may have to run the .exe as an admin, but I didn't).
3. Exit the game
4. Close Steam
5. Install the Killer-app here which failed at the last step for me both times.

I give up.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

I also couldn't get it to work, but I tried running the Killer-App fix after the patch wouldn't install, and it says to do it with Steam closed.

So, here's what I did:

1. Close Steam
3. Open Steam, run the game (you may have to run the .exe as an admin, but I didn't).
3. Exit the game
4. Close Steam

I give up.

If you're running Windows 7 or higher, you'll need to run the patcher app as administrator if your games are in program files.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm running the beta client and on Windows 7 64-bit, but in my Broadcasting settings it says "Steam Broadcasting is not currently supported on this operating system". Any ideas? It works fine with the exact same setup on my other PC.

e: nevermind, I had Steam set to run in Vista compatibility mode. Changed to Win7 and fixed.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 5, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So uh, I started up Thief 4 tonight.

It's not bad?

Like yeah, that intro cutscene was rough, but I'm at least partially interested in figuring out whats going on. Apparently the ending isn't very good, but eh, as long as it keeps me interested along the way, I'm probably good. Garret looks super dumb, but I'm not going to pan a game off it's artstyle. And honestly the City/everyone else looks pretty good so far.

The first real mission had 3-4 different ways to enter the jewelry store, so it seems like it's getting that right. Casual stealing is in, and I feel an odd compulsion to collect literally everything, so I've been going out of my way to learn patrol routes so I could steal more stuff. I'm also pretty well motivated to find all the collectibles, which I usually don't care about, since it seems like something I should be going after.

Master is fun since I can't touch civilians. End up having to figure out odd ways around them/ways to draw them away from stuff I want to steal. Yeah the guard AI is bad, so it's super easy to get around the city streets, but more then enough of the game seems to take place inside houses filled with civilians, so it keeps things interesting.

Just got into the City proper, and it's full of side paths, side loot, side quests, and random houses to steal from. It looks like more then enough to keep me occupied for awhile, especially with the almost metroid style upgrade paths to unlock new areas.

I'm looking over the achievements and noticing "no knockouts at all" achievements, and another one for playing on Custom and boosting the guards AI to max. And honestly? If it keeps up like it is, I'm somewhat tempted to go for them, because I'm having a good time. Might as well challenge myself after I beat the game for the first time by going back in again and messing with people, especially if there is a NG+ option.

Maybe it's because I never played the Thief games, so I have nothing to fall back on, or it's because I'm playing with no expectations/all the bugs have been patched, but I'd actually recommend this. It's a neat little open world stealth game, that's not the best, and probably doesn't have the most compelling stealth, but it ticks all those OCD marks that tell you to get that shiny thing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kragger99 posted:

So, here's what I did:

1. Close Steam
3. Exit the game
4. Close Steam

I give up.

I still can't get the unofficial patch to work at all, even after I closed steam. :shrug:

I get this error message basically instantly after running the patch (And I've tried running it as admin).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You installed Steam in the default location, didn't you.

The default location is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\.

Program Files puts up extraordinary effort to keep the user from modifying it. Even if they're an administrator. Especially if they're Administrator. Do not disable UAC to fix this, because instead it will cause user attempts on Program Files to automatically fail and also the ghosts of SH/SC will visit you like in the Christmas Carol but with more junk-booting.

A lot of the value in PC gaming is modding.

From this, we can conclude that installing Steam in its default location or anywhere else in Program Files is a Bad Move and that if you don't relocate Steam this is going to keep happening (add one of the stairs memes at your peril).

In the meantime I dunno use Steam Mover or something, but pencil in reinstalling Steam to C:\Games\Steam or something at some point (and also when you do back up your games and saves and tokens like you're reinstalling Windows or you might lose progress in games that don't use Steam Cloud and your internet connection will be mad at you).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 5, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nope.

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Tron 2.0

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Okay that is weird.

Could be a file lock of some sort. Some of those are really hard to clear without rebooting.

Disable Steam starting up with the system and reboot it; see if it works then.

Alternately it might not know where the game is; you might actually have to run it first to make registry stuff happen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Alternately it might not know where the game is; you might actually have to run it first to make registry stuff happen.

Betcha this is it. Let's find out!

[edit] YUUUUUUUUUUUP. :doh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Before anything else in the world, run the game once, first.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I usually do. Just forgot this time. :saddowns:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I usually do. Just forgot this time. :saddowns:

It's okay. You just got excited. I hear it's a fun game.

edit: Holy poo poo, Orv (a.k.a. Corduroy Dicksleeves)! Thanks very much for gifting me TRON 2-point-Oh!

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 5, 2014

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of the public streamers are disgusting perverts and weirdos. Who could have guessed?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jizz Festival posted:

A lot of the public streamers are disgusting perverts and weirdos. Who could have guessed?

It'd be funny if Steam just decided to torch its in-game streaming and write off the idea entirely.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

404notfound posted:

The big leagues of having a brand new ankle monitor and looking like morons to boot.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rookersh posted:

So uh, I started up Thief 4 tonight.

It's not bad?

Like yeah, that intro cutscene was rough, but I'm at least partially interested in figuring out whats going on. Apparently the ending isn't very good, but eh, as long as it keeps me interested along the way, I'm probably good. Garret looks super dumb, but I'm not going to pan a game off it's artstyle. And honestly the City/everyone else looks pretty good so far.

The first real mission had 3-4 different ways to enter the jewelry store, so it seems like it's getting that right. Casual stealing is in, and I feel an odd compulsion to collect literally everything, so I've been going out of my way to learn patrol routes so I could steal more stuff. I'm also pretty well motivated to find all the collectibles, which I usually don't care about, since it seems like something I should be going after.

Master is fun since I can't touch civilians. End up having to figure out odd ways around them/ways to draw them away from stuff I want to steal. Yeah the guard AI is bad, so it's super easy to get around the city streets, but more then enough of the game seems to take place inside houses filled with civilians, so it keeps things interesting.

Just got into the City proper, and it's full of side paths, side loot, side quests, and random houses to steal from. It looks like more then enough to keep me occupied for awhile, especially with the almost metroid style upgrade paths to unlock new areas.

I'm looking over the achievements and noticing "no knockouts at all" achievements, and another one for playing on Custom and boosting the guards AI to max. And honestly? If it keeps up like it is, I'm somewhat tempted to go for them, because I'm having a good time. Might as well challenge myself after I beat the game for the first time by going back in again and messing with people, especially if there is a NG+ option.

Maybe it's because I never played the Thief games, so I have nothing to fall back on, or it's because I'm playing with no expectations/all the bugs have been patched, but I'd actually recommend this. It's a neat little open world stealth game, that's not the best, and probably doesn't have the most compelling stealth, but it ticks all those OCD marks that tell you to get that shiny thing.

I will offer a minor dissenting opinion - I think it's a massive pain in the rear end to get around the city because of the awkward pathfinding. Also the game is optimized like rear end (but I'm also on the lower end of specs). Otherwise it's alright so far. The bank DLC was worth it.

There's also some amazingly bad design decisions seeded throughout, but there's nothing about it that's irredeemably terrible so far.

I'm tempted to do an in-depth writeup if I ever get around to finishing it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think it was a bad idea to start playing Saints Row 4 right after GTA 5. It feels so old in comparison both graphically and mechanically.

I mean it's a cool action game and all but I feel like I'm playing a budget title as if I launched a really old outdated game. I'm playing on ultra settings and everything, I don't know what the hell, I didn't experience this with the 3rd part.

It really must be the direct comparison to GTA 5 where absolutely everything from driving to shooting, to environments, to missions feels way more 'next gen'.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

I think it was a bad idea to start playing Saints Row 4 right after GTA 5. It feels so old in comparison both graphically and mechanically.

I mean it's a cool action game and all but I feel like I'm playing a budget title as if I launched a really old outdated game. I'm playing on ultra settings and everything, I don't know what the hell, I didn't experience this with the 3rd part.

It really must be the direct comparison to GTA 5 where absolutely everything from driving to shooting, to environments, to missions feels way more 'next gen'.

If you're driving ANYWHERE in SR4 past the first twenty minutes you're playing wrong.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think it's probably the environments, really. You're comparing GTA V, probably the best realized open world cityscape ever, and SR4, probably the worst realized open-world cityscape ever.

Seriously, the city in SR4 is so god-damned bad. It's not even a city, it's a flat plane with cubes dumped in, and building texture maps slapped on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think it's probably the environments, really. You're comparing GTA V, probably the best realized open world cityscape ever, and SR4, probably the worst realized open-world cityscape ever.

Seriously, the city in SR4 is so god-damned bad. It's not even a city, it's a flat plane with cubes dumped in, and building texture maps slapped on.

It's like it was ironically a city. Appropriate thematically, perhaps.

What makes GTA5 so good at a city level? I've never been impressed, even playing sleepy dogs - city and social behaviors just seem so canned.

I may end up getting GTA5 to see what the fuss is about, even though I'm not really an open world kinda guy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Driving is the smallest issue here, I just feel like I got taken back in time with how the game world looks and reacts, how unsatisfying the mechanics are, I don't know what the hell - I loved the poo poo out of Saints Row 3, I'm surprised myself. Maybe it lies in how the physics feel in comparison to GTA 5. The explosions are so far the only thing that actually feels right.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, you might be right here too. I'll probably go into the mindset of it being a standard third person arcade game and that will change my enjoyment of it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

Saints Row 4 isn't a GTA game, it's a Crackdown game.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Palpek posted:

I only played the first few missions of gta5 at a friend's house but with all the streamlining the sr series did of the tedious parts of the gta formula I thought the opposite and gta felt ancient

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
UnSteam but I have spare preorder codes for the DA:I Flames of the Inquisition weapon pack and armored horsie. Speak up if you want them and I'll PM or email them to you.

• Locked thread