Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best team so far?
This poll is closed.
Warriors 117 48.35%
Raptors 39 16.12%
Bulls 15 6.20%
TrailBlazers 25 10.33%
Grizzlies 46 19.01%
Total: 242 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

danucleus posted:

HOLY poo poo me too!! I've been retweeted a few times by the Clippers' affiliates, but I haven't even touched twitter in weeks!

This just means that a new PR intern has started running Magette's Twitter and you two came up on the search for accounts that might follow back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Yea it's probably a random cross section because I don't follow back. 99% of my actual follows are sports journalists. I knew he wasn't like "I need that guy in my timeline!" Especially since a Jags rookie RB followed me too today.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

the_american_dream posted:

HOW OLD ARE YOU???

edit: I dont mean that as a shot because you bring up good pre-NBA Jam era players for me to look up but gently caress

I'm 33 and have been watching the NBA since 1990 I think. My favorite thing to do is talk about players from the 90s so I shoehorn those guys in as often as possible

Strawberry Panda posted:

After watching the Clippers vs. Magic last night for the 1st half all I have to day is wow Blake what the gently caress stop taking those loving jumpers dude. Are you scared to post up Kyle O'Quinn???

Blake doesn't know that the word 'retaliate' doesn't mean shoot 20 footers

Also I have no doubt that if Anthony Davis were a player in the early 90s then some coach would make him gain weight and focus on his back to the basket game. If you weren't one of those guys then you were called soft and relegated to the bench, unless you were Horace Grant. Brad Lohaus was born 20 years too early

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I love justice, due process and the American way and the only shooting black teens I support is jumpshooting black teens ! with that in mind, Thon Maker is trying to reclassify for class of 2015 and play for UK next season. I'm not going to post videos because it's weird to know about 16-17 year olds even if they are 7' and can dribble and shoot a three and may well have an all-time great athlete name

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Igor Strelkov posted:

If Anthony Davis was 18 in 1992, would his coach have made him gain 100 pounds and focus on his back to the basket game?
No because it used to be that 235-250 was the standard rate for big-man poundage. Shaq changed that.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://mobile.twitter.com/IanBegley/status/540732910614376448

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

No because it used to be that 235-250 was the standard rate for big-man poundage. Shaq changed that.

Davis was a stick when he was drafted. Big men were a lot skinnier before Shaq came along/ballooned, though, that's definitely true

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Crazy Ted posted:

Ahhh. I'm like the opposite of Bizort. I watched the games and yet I have no recall of anything.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

edit: doesn't make sense anymore

big boi fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 5, 2014

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

oof

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think Mark Eaton might have been the first seriously talented over 300 lb center but I am sure I am forgetting someone.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

rabidsquid posted:

I think Mark Eaton might have been the first seriously talented over 300 lb center but I am sure I am forgetting someone.

Wilt Chamberlain ?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

pylb posted:

Wilt Chamberlain ?

im talking about fatsos

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Ian Eagle uses the telestrator.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

rabidsquid posted:

Kevin Duckworth? (although he was talented before he hit 300 pounds, and getting that big didn't do his game any favors)

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

It would be a stretch to say that Mark Eaton was "talented", let alone "seriously talented". He survived in the league as long as he did simply because he was the size of (and kinda resembled) Groot.

As an aside, looking up his numbers on BBref, I noticed that Eaton played 80-82 games nearly every year in Utah. Along with Stockton and Malone, those three guys basically never missed games. What the hell was in the water in Salt Lake City in the 80's and 90's?

Edit: also, Eaton was listed at 275lbs

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Igor Strelkov posted:

If Anthony Davis was 18 in 1992, would his coach have made him gain 100 pounds and focus on his back to the basket game?

This is actually happening to Andre Drummond in 2014.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I was at the Childrens Hospital Toy Drive and just missed Jabari Parker. Apparently he rolled in and gave a thousand bucks.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

dokmo posted:

This is actually happening to Andre Drummond in 2014.

I understand what van Gundy is trying to do here, but man does it make me sad. Watching force of nature Drummond destroying fools by simply being Andre Dummond was awesome last year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Who is she?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Jack's Flow posted:

I understand what van Gundy is trying to do here, but man does it make me sad. Watching force of nature Drummond destroying fools by simply being Andre Dummond was awesome last year.

It's insane to take an awesome pick and roll threat like Drummond, who is unstoppable going downhill, and force him to grind it out against defenses that don't need to double the post anymore, particularly since he has never posted anyone up before, much less NBA sized defenders.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

IcePhoenix posted:

Who is she?

18 year old Evan Fournier in a Poitiers Basket jersey.

There's a documentary on his road to the NBA with footage of him as a kid and baby here if anyone cares.

pylb fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 5, 2014

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

dokmo posted:

It's insane to take an awesome pick and roll threat like Drummond, who is unstoppable going downhill, and force him to grind it out against defenses that don't need to double the post anymore, particularly since he has never posted anyone up before, much less NBA sized defenders.

True, but it's not like Detroit are going anywhere this season. Might as well get Drummond to develop a back to basket game, no? Seems sorta like how Orlando made Oladipo play the point.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Maybe Dwight got all his silly ideas about his post game from Van Gundy after all . . .

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Looks like Ralph Macchio. Karate Kid 4:Double Dribble.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

dokmo posted:

He probably saw a potential Dwight Howard in Drummond and decided to get all that bullshit "I want to be a post-up threat" out of his system now rather than in 7 years. Kind of like making your kid smoke an entire pack of cigarettes in one sitting to make him swear it off

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'm trying to fathom why a skilled NBA center shouldn't be able to both back guys down and work the pick and roll and I'm coming up empty. It's not like he's choosing college majors in different fields, those are both fields that should be well-plowed by an NBA center as talented as Drummond is and can be.

That lack of knowledge is one of the main things this forum has hammered Dwight about over the years. For the same reason, there's no excuse to be that good but lack basic offensive fundamentals.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Actually, I wish Dwight wouldn't post up ever, basically. He is 1000x more effective in P&R sets than he is attempting his post up moves where you can actually see him going through the flowchart of what he needs to do to counter move.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
If Bizort is around can he tell me how Summer League God Kyle O'Quinn has been looking since return? He was ejected Flagrant 2 for a clean block on a lame dunk and I didn't get to see him play no more. Fined $15,000 for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8OS4yUR-3A

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Libertine posted:

I'm trying to fathom why a skilled NBA center shouldn't be able to both back guys down and work the pick and roll and I'm coming up empty.

Are we still talking about Drummond? The whole point is that he's totally raw, and forcing him this late in his career to pick up skills that are largely ineffective against today's NBA defenses is mind boggling. This isn't 2003 and nobody posts up anymore because it's hard to score on those plays even for seasoned post scorers. This is 2014, a pick and roll league, and here's a player who raw skills fit pick and rolls perfectly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah the whole thing with Drummond is that he's a huge athletic freak with a super low skill level. He was one of the most unpolished guys coming out of college in recent memory and only wound up succeeding because he's such an overwhelming physical talent. Trying to turn him into David Robinson is jamming a square peg into a round hole, and it's not really necessary in a modern NBA offense. Just let him create havok with his athleticism rather than kill possession after possession with awkward hook shots that he's likely never going to master.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I wish Drummond stayed in school longer. I know if I were him I would have left for the NBA too, but it would be cool to see what he would look like with 4 full years of polishing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
probably still lovely, and if he'd had another year like his freshman year it would have seriously tanked his stock

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

RCarr posted:

I wish Drummond stayed in school longer. I know if I were him I would have left for the NBA too, but it would be cool to see what he would look like with 4 full years of polishing.

Nobody gets polished at UConn. At least not their bigs. He wouldn't have learned anything.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RCarr posted:

why would unpaid practice against NCAA competition polish him faster/better than a full-time NBA job with a training staff dedicated to making him better at basketball

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

EvanTH posted:

why would unpaid practice against NCAA competition polish him faster/better than a full-time NBA job with a training staff dedicated to making him better at basketball

not sure you can say Mo Cheeks or Larry Frank were dedicated to making him better, but otherwise you are correct.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

dokmo posted:

Nobody gets polished at UConn. At least not their bigs. He wouldn't have learned anything.

Given the long track record I'm wondering why:

1) Big men continue to commit to UConnn
2) Anyone continues to commit to Syracuse

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

EvanTH posted:

If Bizort is around can he tell me how Summer League God Kyle O'Quinn has been looking since return? He was ejected Flagrant 2 for a clean block on a lame dunk and I didn't get to see him play no more. Fined $15,000 for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8OS4yUR-3A

You saw at the beginning of the game he went for a jumper, the ball fell backwards out of his hands, he went to get it for the backcourt violation, shot the ball at the Clippers basket and got a delay of game warning. Really funny sequence.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Libertine posted:

Those teams win a shitload and their players often get drafted very high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Libertine posted:

3) Guards/Wings go to Kansas.

• Locked thread