Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

crondaily posted:

I meant, has anyone who's now using cricket, experienced the same type of slowness issues while they were on ST.

I've experienced issues like this on ST, yes.

If you don't want to use Cricket, then GoPhone is really the only good AT&T MVNO after Cricket.

There is still no, and will never be, a good reason to use Straight Talk or Net10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Hope cricket gets their problem fixed soon. LTE is terrible in Las Vegas and I've had to switch to 4G to get reliable data around town. Feels like I'm back on tmobile.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

eric posted:

Hope cricket gets their problem fixed soon. LTE is terrible in Las Vegas and I've had to switch to 4G to get reliable data around town. Feels like I'm back on tmobile.

I just want to get away from VZW, 90$ for unlimated talk/text and only 2 gb of data is obscene, especially when I never even break 1 gb of data.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I guess I've gotten lucky with the Cricket data stuff - I haven't noticed anything weird at all. I don't have an LTE device though (2nd gen moto G) so maybe that's why? Is it still only LTE that's having trouble?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

crondaily posted:

I meant, has anyone who's now using cricket, experienced the same type of slowness issues while they were on ST.

Some, but not as many, and really only within the last month or so. When I first switched to Aio it was great.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I guess I've gotten lucky with the Cricket data stuff - I haven't noticed anything weird at all. I don't have an LTE device though (2nd gen moto G) so maybe that's why? Is it still only LTE that's having trouble?

LTE seems to be the hardest hit yes. I've noticed it on HSPA too though. I'm done with cricket after this month. It's either GoPhone or back to the T-Mobile dork plan.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Brock Landers posted:

LTE seems to be the hardest hit yes. I've noticed it on HSPA too though. I'm done with cricket after this month. It's either GoPhone or back to the T-Mobile dork plan.

Last night I was trying to look up directions on google maps and it just spun for a minute on LTE. Switched to 4G and it came right up. Giving them another month since I just got a $25 credit but go phone for $54 with calling mart looks decent.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone's cricket speeds better? I'm now getting sub 100ms pings and maxing out the download in Las Vegas.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

eric posted:

Anyone's cricket speeds better? I'm now getting sub 100ms pings and maxing out the download in Las Vegas.

Still poo poo here in DC. Sub 1Mbps.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

eric posted:

150ms ping but 8 down and 16 up this morning in the bay area.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

burn-this-bitch-down bad in Omaha, it failed to load any webpages and then gave me an exclamation point over the signal meter instead of the typical "LTE" or "H."

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Cricket, it's bad.

Here's something that seems to work for me:

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapbase.LTEswitcher

and in the dropdown menu (below the text dump) switch from LTE/xxx to GSM/CDMA auto (PRL). This turns off LTE which is apparently the problem at least in my area.

Devonaut fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 4, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Ahh... Back on the T-Mobile nerd plan. One bar of HSPA here got me 10Mbps down. HSPA and LTE coverage here in DC is great and I don't venture into the sticks much. If I start to, there is always GoPhone. So long cricket!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

burn-this-bitch-down bad in Omaha, it failed to load any webpages and then gave me an exclamation point over the signal meter instead of the typical "LTE" or "H."

It was fine for me in Omaha this morning until midday since Cox was loving up and I was without internet. I even was tethered to my tablet for a while and was still fine with normal speeds.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

It was fine for me in Omaha this morning until midday since Cox was loving up and I was without internet. I even was tethered to my tablet for a while and was still fine with normal speeds.

I was getting those speeds at about 4:00-4:30. Then I went back into a building with WiFi. Driving home it's still poo poo, that's in the past 40 minutes.

E: can't even stream music. gently caress cricket in their slow rear end.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 4, 2014

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Man, I'm in central MA, and have never had issues with Cricket. This is worrisome

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
I finally had to 'Reset Network Settings' on my iPhone 5S this morning. As soon as it restarted WhatsApp pushed 3 messages to me that were timestamped from 10:23PM last night.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah this is getting ridiculous. HSPA was working much better for speeds and ping but now it's crapped out pretty good. Getting really frustrated with Cricket but the discount that they give for multiple lines is great.

Maybe someone else can help me out, I've got two friends with me paying $25 for their 1gb plan, as they were on the same priced GoPhone plan with few minutes and no data. Is there anywhere that I could get a similar deal? I don't really care about the price for myself but I'd still like to help out my two friends.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
My Cricket speeds have been fine (NJ), but holy gently caress is their tech support bad. They would be better off with automated machines doing tier 1 poo poo. I've probably called/chatted 15-20 times this week and yet to get a single person that knows ANYTHING other than they'll call me back (3x and not one ever did) or they can't help.

This was just today:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you.

All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.

You are currently at position number 105 in the queue.

***60 minutes later***

You are currently at position number 3 in the queue.

You have been connected to Paolo Solis.

Paolo Solis: Welcome to Cricket Customer Service! How can I help you today?

Alex: I have a ticket#: ############. I was told it would take 24 hours on Sunday. It looks like it still hasn't been taken care of

Paolo Solis: hello Alex! ill check the case right now

Paolo Solis: Alex the case is now being resolved by the porting department.

Alex: Okay, is there an expected time of completion on that?

Paolo Solis: well, we dont manage their time frame butusually they get resolved pretty quickly once they get to the final filter. But i dont wanna tell you "hey its gonna be ready for tomorrow by far" and if its not then i would have lied to you

Alex: Okay, well I have a phone that isn't working until this is resolved and I've waited 4 days already. I don't understand why it can't be resolved immediately

Paolo Solis: Yeah, i totally get you :/

Paolo Solis: I will keep my fingers crossed though.

Alex: Can you pass me over to that department? Any way I can contact them? I just want to know when it will be taken care of.

Paolo Solis: im afraid they do not have direct contact with customers buddy.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

poppingseagull posted:

Paolo Solis: I will keep my fingers crossed though.

That sums up cricket in general.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

Paolo Solis: im afraid they do not have direct contact with customers buddy.

:lol: I'm not your buddy, pal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not your pal, guy.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is GoPhones coverage more or less identical to ATT? I am finding TMobiles coverage to be a problem since my new job takes me out of the local metro area sometimes, and I want to test the coverage before I resort to Verizon.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is GoPhones coverage more or less identical to ATT? I am finding TMobiles coverage to be a problem since my new job takes me out of the local metro area sometimes, and I want to test the coverage before I resort to Verizon.

It is exactly like AT&T, even the same speeds!

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

It is exactly like AT&T, even the same speeds!

Well... Almost. You don't have any domestic roaming with GoPhone. Domestic roaming comes into play in super rural areas only, for the most part. Check the full att coverage viewer for exact areas.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Even on HSPA+ instead of LTE I'm having data problems with Cricket. Sub-1Mb speeds in the Boston area between 6-10pm. So I'm about ready to give up on the MVNO idea. Straight talk was unreliable, Cricket is unreliable, and Go phone isn't significantly cheaper than post-paid At&t. Looks like I'm running out of reasonable options. Maybe I'll try out Tmo.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

peterjmatt posted:

Even on HSPA+ instead of LTE I'm having data problems with Cricket. Sub-1Mb speeds in the Boston area between 6-10pm. So I'm about ready to give up on the MVNO idea. Straight talk was unreliable, Cricket is unreliable, and Go phone isn't significantly cheaper than post-paid At&t. Looks like I'm running out of reasonable options. Maybe I'll try out Tmo.

If you mostly stay on T-Mobile's high speed network and don't need unlimited talk, the $30 nerd plan is hard to beat. T-Mobile's EDGE network is painful and their signal has a harder time penetrating buildings. Neither of those is a deal killer for me so I'm sticking with them for now.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

So is Cricket like New Coke where it's designed to fail, and people will go back to AT&T and be grateful for it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Devonaut posted:

So is Cricket like New Coke where it's designed to fail, and people will go back to AT&T and be grateful for it?

That's what it's looking like. Rope people in and make poo poo look good for a while, then lay on the brakes.

In a just world, it ought to be grounds for litigation due to the bait and switch aspect of it (these aren't even decent 2G speeds much less 4G) but the counterargument will just devolve into load balancing, QoS, terms of service, and how it is an LTE signal and not EDGE so it can't possibly be anything other than 4G speed. At these speeds I probably couldn't hit my 10GB cap if I let it download 24/7 for the month.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Devonaut posted:

They're probably having some growing pains. I don't know why AT&T would spend a bunch of money advertising and creating new stores just to tank them.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I just bit the bullet on a Cricket Moto G, if I hate it I'll just move to gophone and pay $5 more a month, beats paying $94 a month for 1 phone.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

:lol: I'm not your buddy, pal.

drat I should've thought to say that at the time

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I want to give T-Mobile another try on the $30 dork plan, but I haven't used it for over a year (been on Cricket). How would I go about re-activating my SIM? I tried logging into My T-Mobile and it didn't recognize my username (phone number) or password.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

I want to give T-Mobile another try on the $30 dork plan, but I haven't used it for over a year (been on Cricket). How would I go about re-activating my SIM? I tried logging into My T-Mobile and it didn't recognize my username (phone number) or password.

Easier to get a new one. Besides, the dork plan is only for "new" activations.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Where is everyone having all these issues with Cricket? Never had any issues in Northern California. Pretty much always on LTE, 8/4mbit speeds, quick page loads. Only thing I've ever noticed is that their app seems to be down at night a lot, making it difficult to check data usage.

Going to bum me out if their service is slipping, been recommending it to a lot of people.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

tonic posted:

Where is everyone having all these issues with Cricket? Never had any issues in Northern California. Pretty much always on LTE, 8/4mbit speeds, quick page loads. Only thing I've ever noticed is that their app seems to be down at night a lot, making it difficult to check data usage.

Going to bum me out if their service is slipping, been recommending it to a lot of people.

Same in the bay area. Service is good here. All these complainers are in the flyover states, ignore them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

Same in the bay area. Service is good here. All these complainers are in the flyover states, ignore them.

:v: I'm fine, I don't know where FAUXTON is in Omaha tho. I haven't had any issues on Cricket so far.

Only really weird issue I had was my data dropping randomly for 2 hours in February when it auto-payed once but it's been fine since then.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

SB35 posted:

Lol. Washington DC here. I suppose you fly over it sometimes. Another goon in Boston was complaining earlier. If you look on Hofo, you'll see it's pretty random where the spotty service is.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm having no issues in the Omaha area with Cricket.

I did however finally get my sister on Ting. She had been with Sprint for years. She was even paying the loving 8 dollars a month insurance on a dumb phone from like 2007. Her bill should go from 45 to 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My test this morning was back to normal. 7.95/3.45 121ms. Hopefully it stays that way.