Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Best part of the episode.

This right here.
This is why I'm going to miss this franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so I'm having some trouble deciphering the historical allegories in this show. Is Kuvira supposed to be Mao or Chiang Kai-shek, or maybe Stalin? Is Korra America?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rutibex posted:

Ok so I'm having some trouble deciphering the historical allegories in this show. Is Kuvira supposed to be Mao or Chiang Kai-shek, or maybe Stalin? Is Korra America?
She's a decent Chiang Kai-shek analogue.

The Avatar is the United Nations pre-Korean War

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Rosalind posted:

I wonder what Korra's going to do about the spirits now. I assume she's going to convince them to join her side somehow, but she doesn't have much time left.

If there's anything I've learned from the series, it's that spirits are self-righteous dicks.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This right here.
This is why I'm going to miss this franchise.

Yeah, I feel like I wasn't "wowed" by any bending this season until that moment.

A nod to Kuvira's kickass fighting style though.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Solid wonderful episode. Man I'm gonna miss this series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

EatinCake posted:

Solid wonderful episode. Man I'm gonna miss this series.

Um, what?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I just realized this is probably the first time Kuvira was unabashedly humiliated in front of her own troops. Sure she had some trouble with Korra for a bit there, but it was the avatar, and Kuvira still won the day. Meanwhile here she had a close subordinate betray & badmouth her, her hostage & prisoners rescued, her super weapon test interrupted, and all the responsible parties escape right under her nose, with Our Lord and Savior Toph flipping her the bird on the exit.

From a historical perspective, cult of personality leaders like her freak out just a little when their image is even slightly tarnished. Actually necessary or not, my guess is that Kuvira will be moving up her Republic City invasion so that she can have another big victory to save face.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The bison's name is Juicy because of his runny nose. Someone turned this into a tramp stamp joke.

We are the dead.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The bison's name is Juicy because of his runny nose. Someone turned this into a tramp stamp joke.

We are the dead.

This post is why you aren't allowed to have the thread anymore.

I have never seen someone so excited to explain a joke they didn't get.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It was "what" in the sense of "why does this exist"

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

tramp stamp joke.

It's a line of clothing you shut-ins.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrAristocrates posted:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

why did you have to be the one to make this godawful thread

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheKingofSprings posted:

why did you have to be the one

TheKingofSprings posted:

godawful thread

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This thread would probably have been better if it weren't for the thread title you pegged it with, it drew trolls and shitposters like moths to a flame

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
not to mention your holier than thou posting you do in here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They were already here. I honestly don't even think this thread is as bad as the last one was, mostly because Sithsaber is gone.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

They've been really on-point with the facial expressions this season.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
So who is Su's dad then?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

So who is Su's dad then?

Clearly Toph's casual throwing out of a plot point a lot of people cared about will lead to a bait and switch for Sokka being Su's father

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

So who is Su's dad then?

Sokka.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

They were already here. I honestly don't even think this thread is as bad as the last one was, mostly because Sithsaber is gone.
... Fair point.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When I heard "flying mech suits", my first thought was Songbird from BioShock Infinite. And that led to another thought of the Handymen as metalbenders stripped down to the barest essential parts needed to bend their new metal bodies. My mind goes places.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
That metalbending fight was terrific, also it looked like Kuvira did a magnet thing with her sword against the rail.

MrAristocrates posted:

Unless this post summons him! How could you live down being a worse OP than SpiderHyphenMan :laffo:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Jackard posted:

That metalbending fight was terrific, also it looked like Kuvira did a magnet thing with her sword against the rail.

Unless this post summons him! How could you live down being a worse OP than SpiderHyphenMan :laffo:

I'm pretty sure she just curved the tip of the sword to catch on the rail.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Oh, Toph, we could never hate you :allears:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Clearly Toph's casual throwing out of a plot point a lot of people cared about will lead to a bait and switch for Sokka being Su's father

http://youtu.be/MpDnbTPKA6I?t=32s

Pretty much.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
The latest episode is also great because it washed away a lot of concerns I had. Chiefly:

- The super weapon is a giant gently caress Off Cannon and not just a super suit. The Sister Ray will never not be cool.
- Toph does something badass and then reveals "yeah I'm actually like, 80 years old. I'm not gonna be on the frontlines"
- Zhu-Li the sleeper agent!
- Kuvira finally gets a loss!
- Lin's father reveal being completely superfluous!

Not that I wasn't gonna watch it before, but man I'm pumped for the finale now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought it was really cool that Wei and Wing totally use the old-style, fast-paced formalized martial arts type of earthbending instead of the...well...seemingly less-efficient, brute-force-everything untrained style that Bolin uses, even though they're both Bolin's age.

Not to unnecessarily rag on Bolin, since he did good in the episode, but y'know.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Is it just me or is Baatar completely unable to imagine that people could lie to him? He couldn't see Varrick's trick coming despite realizing that there was something off with what he was building, and this episode Kuvira is the first one to suspect fool play. It's weird.

Yet another "is it just me" : did that suit make Bolin look a lot broader than he usually does (and he isn't exactly slim to begin with)?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Get your poo poo together Toph, Bumi fought till he was like 120.

(I doubt this is last we've seen of her)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
And oh yeah Asami's dragonfly mech designs were some straight up Final Fantasy poo poo.

I hope we see them. :shepface:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Diagram of the dragonflies shows two pilots. Guess who? :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kinda wish Zhu Li's betrayal had had a little more boom. I mean, with all the work she did to get into Kuvira's good graces, surely she could come up with something more spectacular than 'steal a component from the superweapon I'm building'?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Goddamn, that was a great fight. Many have said it before, but it's great how everybody has such a distinctive style... I especially liked the two brothers, who did nothing but tag team moves. Throwing a HUGE loving boulder together, raising walls at the same time, catching each other's wires and pulling to safety. :stare: Not to mention that everybody's personalities shone through in their techniques, it's great. Lin literally seems to rip metal apart, Suyin is an acrobatic ninja who will loving murder you, and Toph flattens everything with I'm-bored-with-this-poo poo giant earthquakes. With this much effort put into these last few scenes, I don't think that'll be the end of it. There's gotta be at least one more rad Beifong scene in store for us. Possibly something for Lin & Toph - Suyin already had plenty of scenes, and there's still the question of her dad...

If the inevitable Korra vs. Kuvira can in any way match what we saw today, I'll be happy.

...also, maybe give Mako a proper action scene? Like... Call me weird, but I kinda want to see the guy fight properly without immediately being snagged by wires or vines. Maybe next episode.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Kinda wish Zhu Li's betrayal had had a little more boom. I mean, with all the work she did to get into Kuvira's good graces, surely she could come up with something more spectacular than 'steal a component from the superweapon I'm building'?

If Zhu Li's betrayal had gone off properly, there most likely would have been all the boom you could possibly want.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

If Zhu Li's betrayal had gone off properly, there most likely would have been all the boom you could possibly want.

Right, yeah, but what actually happened wasn't that visually exciting. We know she won't be the one to topple Kivira, so at least make it look like she put in a good effort. Maybe dogpile our resident overlord with some remote-controlled powersuits after her first plan fails, and then try to escape before being captured. C'mon, we had a brief taste of why Varrick calls her a 'cold, heartless war machine' earlier in the season, let's step it up a notch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, yeah, but what actually happened wasn't that visually exciting. We know she won't be the one to topple Kivira, so at least make it look like she put in a good effort. Maybe dogpile our resident overlord with some remote-controlled powersuits after her first plan fails, and then try to escape before being captured. C'mon, we had a brief taste of why Varrick calls her a 'cold, heartless war machine' earlier in the season, let's step it up a notch.

I don't feel like it would be quite in character for her to do something like that. Subtle relentless sabotage fits Zhu Li better than all out assault. Remote controlled powersuits sounds more like something Varrick would do.

Also, clearly Su's father is just some dude name Johto just like Lin's dad is named Kanto

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

It was probably due to the episode they had to cut. They wanted her back with the group for the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
This is a really solid episode but it's probably the last time Korra will spend an appreciable amount of time in the Spirit World and there was still no Koh so I rate it a 1/10.

In It For The Tank posted:

Get your poo poo together Toph, Bumi fought till he was like 120.

(I doubt this is last we've seen of her)

King Bumi is in a category of his own. And I'm pretty sure this is the last time we'll see Toph fight. I've been expecting a "I'm too old for this poo poo." line from her since she first showed up in the swamp.

• Locked thread