Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mod sassinator posted:

Found this guy at a thrift store, it actually rang up for $2:

Not the blu-ray but I'll take it for sure!

I really hate that cover. That reveal is one of the greatest in cinema history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Daaamn, I would geek the hell out if I found a Criterion at Savers. It's all exercise DVDs and copies of Lethal Weapon around here.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I found a nice copy of The Royal Tenenbaums DVD for a couple bucks a few months ago too. They're rare but every now and then you'll find a Criterion out there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

mod sassinator posted:

I tried to get the blu-ray off of Ebay a few months ago, but the seller refused to loving send it after I won the bid. That rear end in a top hat, I hope he burns in hell for all eternity and then some for not letting me get it for $85.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Found this guy at a thrift store, it actually rang up for $2:

It's one of the best pre-2000 DVDs ever made. The Blu is obviously a lot better inherently, but it holds up well. I only upgraded to the 2-disc DVD to get the making of film.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I found a nice copy of The Royal Tenenbaums DVD for a couple bucks a few months ago too. They're rare but every now and then you'll find a Criterion out there.

I also got Royal Tenenbaums at a thrift store. And The Life Aquatic at a pawn shop, but that one was missing the extra disc.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

My best find were the 2 Woody Allen DVD boxsets for $19.99 apiece. On amazon.ca at the time, they were $69.99 each - go on amazon.ca now and one is going for over $100. Normally it's the same situation as Anonymous Robot where all you'll find is exercise DVDs and really crappy B-movies.

Amazing find of that Third Man DVD though! Nice. Can't say I've ever come across any Criterion releases that cheap outside of ones like Chasing Amy & Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It's funny because they had it in the glass case up front where normally the 'nice' or more expensive stuff goes, yet it still was priced super low.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just found the blu-ray of Brazil at an Ollie's Bargain Outlet for $4. I've had the original DVD for about 12 years, and needed to upgrade anyway. So that was a sweet find.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I found The Tales of Hoffmann and Pickpocket at a closing Media Play for :10bux: each. Ended up selling the former before it went OOP.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I found a still shrink-wrapped copy Divorce - Italian Style for $5 in an antique store and blind bought it because it was a Criterion. One of the best purchases ever because that movie rules so hard.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Eh, best I've ever managed is an unopened blu-ray of Black Narcissus at a church sale for $2, but that's not out of print, so it's not terribly impressive beyond the super-value!!

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I coldly broke up with a girl right before my birthday last year and for some reason she still gave me both of the Criterion movies she'd bought for me. That's how I got Brazil and Night and the City for free, but that's the only time I've ever lucked out.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I coldly broke up with a girl right before my birthday last year and for some reason she still gave me both of the Criterion movies she'd bought for me. That's how I got Brazil and Night and the City for free, but that's the only time I've ever lucked out.

My wife tends to surprise me with two or three Criterions whenever there's a sale. I'd have a pretty large collection if I hadn't been forced to sell several a few years back during an emergency. Still need to re-buy that Beastie Boys set, but I'm going to wait and see if they're ever going to put that on blu-ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

My wife tends to surprise me with two or three Criterions whenever there's a sale. I'd have a pretty large collection if I hadn't been forced to sell several a few years back during an emergency. Still need to re-buy that Beastie Boys set, but I'm going to wait and see if they're ever going to put that on blu-ray.

Probably not since all exist only on video unless Capitol wants to reconstruct them from the 35mm/16mm negatives. Although, I've seen a few videos on VEVO that were clearly reconstructed in HD.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Sabotage would probably be the only one legitimately worth going back to the negatives on (and since it was a Spike Jonze video, maybe they will). A lot of them were just straight up video production anyway. Fight for Your Right, Body Movin' and So Whatcha Want at least.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 6, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Eh, best I've ever managed is an unopened blu-ray of Black Narcissus at a church sale for $2, but that's not out of print, so it's not terribly impressive beyond the super-value!!

But that movie is gorgeous so it's still a fantastic find.

edit: Apparently Fight for Your Right isn't on the Beastie Boys anthology. No idea if that was due to rights issues, or just that the band hates the song now and regrets writing it.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 7, 2014

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
I got one of those OOP Salo DVDs for like $12 at a record store cause I didn't know if it was still worth anything (it isn't).

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

edit: Apparently Fight for Your Right isn't on the Beastie Boys anthology. No idea if that was due to rights issues, or just that the band hates the song now and regrets writing it.

I believe they dislike their first album and decided to leave videos from it off.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I believe they dislike their first album and decided to leave videos from it off.

Which is crazy because that album rules.

If they release a Blu Ray upgrade I hope they decide to add those videos from the first album (I don't think No Sleep Til Brooklyn is on it either), but also the videos that came out since the DVD was released. Fight for Your Right (Revisited) is fantastic, and we could use a rap battle between Elijah Wood and Will Ferrell in the Criterion Collection.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Anxiously awaiting the Criterion release of all the Hootie and the Blowfish music videos.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Anxiously awaiting the Criterion release of all the Hootie and the Blowfish music videos.

I hope Tendercrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch makes it in.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Discount Viscount posted:

I would buy this.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Discount Viscount posted:

finally, someone else who remembers this

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
e; claimed

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 9, 2014

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
So I went ahead and bought the America Lost and Found boxset with the intention of breaking it up. Thought I'd give you guys first crack before I put it on SA Mart or eBay. Selling everything but Five Easy Pieces, so:

544 HEAD
545 EASY RIDER
547+548 DRIVE, HE SAID/A SAFE PLACE (one disc)
549 LAST PICTURE SHOW
550 KING OF MARVIN GARDENS

None of the discs has come out of their tray or been watched. All of the slipsleeves are in new condition. PM me instead of replying here.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 9, 2014

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
After over a decade of procrastination, I'm pulling the trigger and getting myself Brazil for Christmas this year. I want the 2006 3-disc DVD edition, but I can't tell it apart from the 1999 release, even with detailed pictures from sellers on eBay. Near as I can tell, the packaging is basically identical for both releases? Is there any way to tell just from looking which edition I'm looking at?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I've got a 20% off BN coupon if anyone wants to PM me for it. Might only work for members.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

They made videos for songs of the hardcore punk album?
Or doesn't that one count.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Cries and Whispers
Ride the Pink Horse
The Soft Skin
The Thin Blue Line
Gate of Heaven / Vernon, Florida
Hoop Dreams

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 16, 2014

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#749 - THE SOFT SKIN (March 10, BR/DVD)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Audio commentary by screenwriter Jean-Louis Richard and François Truffaut scholar Serge Toubiana
•New video essay by filmmaker and critic Kent Jones
•Interview with Truffaut from 1965 about the film
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: An essay by critic Molly Haskell

#750 - RIDE THE PINK HORSE (March 15, BR/DVD)

•New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Audio commentary featuring film noir historians Alain Silver and James Ursini
•New interview with Imogen Sara Smith, author of In Lonely Places: Film Noir Beyond the City
•Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of the film from 1947, featuring Robert Montgomery, Wanda Hendrix, and Thomas Gomez
•PLUS: An essay by filmmaker and writer Michael Almereyda

#751 - GATES OF HEAVEN/VERNON, FLORIDA (March 24, BR/2-disc DVD)

•New 2K digital restorations of both films, supervised by director Errol Morris, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
•New interviews with Morris
•Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe (1980), a twenty-minute film by Les Blank featuring Herzog fulfilling a bet intended to inspire Morris to complete his first feature
• Footage of Herzog professing his admiration for Gates of Heaven at the 1980 Telluride Film Festival
• PLUS: An essay by critic Eric Hynes

#753 - THE THIN BLUE LINE (March 24, BR/DVD)

•New high-definition digital restoration, supervised by director Errol Morris and producer Mark Lipson, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•New interview with Morris
•New interview with filmmaker Joshua Oppenheimer (The Act of Killing)
• NBC report from 1989 covering Randall Adams’s release from prison
• PLUS: An essay by film scholar Charles Musser

#101 - CRIES AND WHISPERS (March 31, BR/2-disc DVD)

(new features in italics)
•New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Introduction by Ingmar Bergman from 2001
•New interview with actor Harriet Andersson, conducted by film scholar Peter Cowie
•New video essay on the film’s visuals by filmmaker : : kogonada
•Behind-the-scenes footage with commentary by Cowie

•Ingmar Bergman: Reflections on Life, Death, and Love with Erland Josephson (2000), a 52-minute interview with Bergman and his longtime collaborator
•Trailer
•New English subtitle translation
•Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
•PLUS: An essay by film scholar Emma Wilson

#289 - HOOP DREAMS (March 31, BR/2-disc DVD)

•New digital restoration, with 4.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Two audio commentaries: one by filmmakers Peter Gilbert, Steve James, and Frederick Marx, and one by the film’s subjects, Arthur Agee and William Gates
•Life After “Hoop Dreams,” a new documentary catching up with Agee, Gates, and their families
•Additional scenes

•Collection of excerpts from Siskel & Ebert tracking the acclaim for Hoop Dreams
•Original music video for the film’s theme song from 1994
•Trailers
•PLUS: Essays by author John Edgar Wideman and filmmaker and critic Robert Greene

My take:

The Soft Skin - Not top-drawer Truffaut, but a really good one. I'll buy it.

Ride the Pink Horse - No-brainer purchase for me, one of my favorite noirs and with a Silver/Ursini commentary to boot

Cries and Whispers - Obviously.

bunch of Morris titles - not a big fan, especially when it comes to GoH. But I could give it another look, and I've never seen Vernon. Rental at best.

Hoop Dreams - Really on the fence about this... amazing movie but I've seen it two or three times and can't picture myself buying it. I dunno yet.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The inclusion of Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe on the Morris two-pack suggests they're not going to upgrade Burden of Dreams (which had that as a bonus), which is a real shame.

I'm probably not going to upgrade Hoop Dreams. I've seen it a few times and I can't see the blu-ray upgrade being as strong as usual due to the source material.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Slate Action posted:

I'm probably not going to upgrade Hoop Dreams. I've seen it a few times and I can't see the blu-ray upgrade being as strong as usual due to the source material.

On the other hand:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jazzed as gently caress about Ride the Pink Horse.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not sure why they changed the Hoop Dreams cover, same basic concept but the execution sucks

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Please tell me that's a placeholder cover for Cries and Whispers.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I keep reading that as The Soft Skin of Francois Truffaut, which I admittedly would probably be more interested in watching.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
God, honestly, some of these covers, I've really thought about just making my own and printing them out on photo paper.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Nroo posted:

Please tell me that's a placeholder cover for Cries and Whispers.

It's really, really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

This Polish poster would have been more interesting:

I think what throws it off is the boring typeface. Bergman seemed to like using Optima as his font of choice and just switching to that would be an improvement.