Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Bert of the Forest posted:

I dunno, nothing wrong with a bit of humorous input. It's fun seeing what kinds of puns they try to come up with to fit your game. Yeah it could be a little more explanatory, but that jokey-style writing is what makes the site so popular. I can get behind funny people liking my game. I mean hell, if you wanna talk about explanatory word-count, Something Awful's own resident game reviewer Dennis Farrell literally writes one sentence reviews, yet I'd be honored if my game got that one-sentence treatment, if only because I appreciate him as an author.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy humour in my writing and I'm excited that you're getting the exposure. I'm just being whiney because I enjoyed the site more under the original writers. They were able to be funny and informative at the same time without the jokes-per-sentence-quota feel I get from the current writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Reminder that it's Ludum Dare this weekend... Last theme voting round is up, including "unicode snowman" which is probably going to win. :negative:

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Sure doesn't look like much, but the map interface has been upgraded (pardon the programmer art):

- Nodes display icons for owned, allied, and enemy army strengths. The icons are intensity-based, with brighter colours meaning a higher concentration of forces.
- Country flags displayed above cities to indicate ownership.
- Added icons (and flags!) to indicate position of armies traveling between nodes.

Next up - some sort of interface to allow users to move armies between nodes without using a boring webform.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Added in the smallest of the bigger vessels in the game. The human cruiser is all about combat. Bigger ships have bigger engines... and so are faster

side note, anyone else trying to get votes for top 100 indiedb list thingy? We should get a vote train going http://www.indiedb.com/games/interstellaria

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

Coldrice posted:

side note, anyone else trying to get votes for top 100 indiedb list thingy? We should get a vote train going http://www.indiedb.com/games/interstellaria

I wouldn't say no, but I am really unsure about indiedb, it doesn't seem to ever drive any traffic at all. Voted for you anyway, here's me:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/guild-of-dungeoneering

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Babby Sathanas posted:

Reminder that it's Ludum Dare this weekend... Last theme voting round is up, including "unicode snowman" which is probably going to win. :negative:

Thanks for posting, this is the first time I've caught it in months. Hopefully the snowman loses, there are some decent themes in there otherwise.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

retro sexual posted:

I wouldn't say no, but I am really unsure about indiedb, it doesn't seem to ever drive any traffic at all. Voted for you anyway, here's me:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/guild-of-dungeoneering

I'm so glad you picked up that tween library a long time ago. Everything looks so pretty.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Babby Sathanas posted:

Don't worry the snowman would be an optional addition theme (oh god I hope) like the Goat a few back. But just for your post I'll down vote it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Just as an aside, has ANYONE in here seen or heard from someone else recently, of IndieDB mattering? They're an ancient-looking site with antiquated policies and no API, making it impossible to link them into your wider social network. Expecting you to manually post News items just on their site in 2014 is beyond ridiculous. :(

I've been effectively ignoring them, aside from throwing up a basic profile. Should I be paying more attention?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poemdexter posted:

I'm so glad you picked up that tween library a long time ago. Everything looks so pretty.

Yeah, the game looks so goddamn good. Everything fits into the niche perfectly.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Shalinor posted:

Just as an aside, has ANYONE in here seen or heard from someone else recently, of IndieDB mattering? They're an ancient-looking site with antiquated policies and no API, making it impossible to link them into your wider social network. Expecting you to manually post News items just on their site in 2014 is beyond ridiculous. :(

I've been effectively ignoring them, aside from throwing up a basic profile. Should I be paying more attention?

Posting news items puts you on the front page of indie/moddb for like half a day before it gets pushed down the stack, but it doesn't really drive much traffic from what I've seen. Its pretty painless to cross-post news there though, so it might be worth the effort.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I can't believe this, but I actually have a cute idea for unicode snowman. :psyduck: Having an idea for shite themes never happens to me I swear.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Babby Sathanas posted:

I can't believe this, but I actually have a cute idea for unicode snowman. :psyduck: Having an idea for shite themes never happens to me I swear.

Well if it's a real theme I think there's about a lock, most of the other themes are really good this time too.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Shalinor posted:

So, years ago when ModDB and IndieDB were the same (it was weird, you'd click on something you thought was a mod and the site would change green), they decided to split them up. Then, the creators launched Desura. Desura still uses ModDB and IndieDB as a searchable database, but it was bought by Linden Labs, and then recently bought by my former employer, BadJuju Games (who is responsible for my previously stated-in-this-thread disgust for Cocos2D-x, amongst other things). What's funny is that Desura was supposed to be the API for ModDB and IndieDB, but when Linden Labs bought Desura it only bought the Desura Service. So the chance of a public API being available for IndieDB and ModDB disappeared, and it's going to probably stay that way. Also, Desura is still extremely tied to reading information and such from ModDB.

Also, given the management decisions that I experienced at BadJuju (such as "Why are we buying this?" *2 weeks later* "And now we've fired all our artists. Awesome"), I wouldn't be surprised if they cut ModDB and IndieDB loose from Desura and just "did their own thing".

In an ideal world IndieDB should have been THE go to place for indie games, but it's sort of turned into something like devmaster.net's game engine DB. Useful for seeing what else is out there, but you're boned if you only ever push updates to it.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Lucid Dream posted:

Posting news items puts you on the front page of indie/moddb for like half a day before it gets pushed down the stack, but it doesn't really drive much traffic from what I've seen. Its pretty painless to cross-post news there though, so it might be worth the effort.

If I try to post news on IndieDB by copy-pasting and existing post (IndieDB seems to sort of read HTML formatting) instead of re-doing the whole thing, it looks OK until I click preview, then all my paragraph breaks have turned into single line breaks. Then even time I press enter to add a line break back in, it also scrolls me back to the top of the article. It's the opposite of painless. Is there a better way?

Posting news on IndieDB sucks and I never get any traffic from it either, and I should probably just stop. But they do post news articles to the front page and those news posts do get a few hundred views and a couple of comments each time, so it can't be all bad.

Anyway, here's my page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/scraps

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Nition posted:

If I try to post news on IndieDB by copy-pasting and existing post (IndieDB seems to sort of read HTML formatting) instead of re-doing the whole thing, it looks OK until I click preview, then all my paragraph breaks have turned into single line breaks. Then even time I press enter to add a line break back in, it also scrolls me back to the top of the article. It's the opposite of painless. Is there a better way?
Yeah, now that you mention it I suppose I do usually have to clean it up and remove weirdly place line breaks and stuff. Painless is definitely the wrong word, but I can usually repost patch notes there after a few minutes of twiddling it. It probably isn't worth the trouble once you have a bit of a following, but in the early days of trying to market a game every bit helps I guess.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I just remembered there's that little HTML button, which I didn't discover for a while. And if you post your HTML in there it sort of works. But it still messes up my formatting somehow, and the way it scrolls to the top whenever I press enter is the worst.

Kickstarter is even worse for cross-posting news though. No source editing option at all, and if you copy-paste stuff in it sort of half works and half breaks.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

I dunno, nothing wrong with a bit of humorous input. It's fun seeing what kinds of puns they try to come up with to fit your game. Yeah it could be a little more explanatory, but that jokey-style writing is what makes the site so popular. I can get behind funny people liking my game. I mean hell, if you wanna talk about explanatory word-count, Something Awful's own resident game reviewer Dennis Farrell literally writes one sentence reviews, yet I'd be honored if my game got that one-sentence treatment, if only because I appreciate him as an author.

I cannot read RPS articles. They are so difficult to parse and clumsy with their alliteration it hurts. They fail to make the content a joy to read, I don't care if it's their gimmick, if it's a chore to read I just won't read it.

It reminds me of that one penny arcade dudes blog posts. So thick with pretension it becomes unreadable.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Shalinor posted:

It's not useless but it's pretty mediocre and can be hard to get any value from. There are a lot of smaller let's players who lurk the website and might play your game without you asking, but that's only really relevant if you have a demo available.

I voted for all the indiedb pages linked here. I'll be expecting a royalty check in the mail when one of you wins :smuggo:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I think indiedb works pretty well. Getting close to 400 watchers on the project now, nearly 50,000 views on the page itself. The follow through to my own site is only about 500 TOTAL unique hits from the all the last few updates... but it's not the kind of place where people follow to the main site (which is why I keep my updates there fairly large)

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 5, 2014

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Jon93 posted:

I cannot read RPS articles. They are so difficult to parse and clumsy with their alliteration it hurts. They fail to make the content a joy to read, I don't care if it's their gimmick, if it's a chore to read I just won't read it.

It reminds me of that one penny arcade dudes blog posts. So thick with pretension it becomes unreadable.

To each their own I suppose. Not that I'm an avid follower of the site myself, mind. I rarely ever visit it to begin with, but I've been pretty bad about following most sites these days that aren't this one and Twitter, so make of that what you will. All I know is the article Nathan Grayson wrote about our game a while back wasn't offensively bad or anything, just full of undersea puns. What's more important in my mind is that they're out actively looking for content themselves - Nathan approached us about his story when he found us on Tigsource. Compare to sites like the Escapist, who A. aren't interested in anything indie, and B. have basically become content aggregators at this point, with basically every story being pulled from some other site that covered it first, or something that simply isn't newsworthy. (Fan-made Lego version of [insert popular trailer here] gets old as news real fast after the first two times it happens. There are lego films of EVERYTHING.)

Coldrice posted:

I think indiedb works pretty well. Getting close to 400 watchers on the project now, nearly 50,000 views on the page itself. The follow through to my own site is only about 500 unique hits from the last few updates... but it's not the kind of place where people follow to the main site (which is why I keep my updates there fairly large)

Never hurts to have fresh eyes on your game! With that said, god, I haven't touched that site in ages, for most of the same reasons everyone's been citing. We certainly haven't seen traffic like yours on it. Here's our link anyway though: http://www.indiedb.com/games/we-need-to-go-deeper

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is there any kind of up-to-date list or database of current goon made games? I can't contribute much to the game dev discussions here, but I can sure as hell pimp some games, and it feels like I'm finding out about a new one every week or so in this thread.

unlurked
Jan 20, 2006

Set phasers to HURT!
Why not: http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-spatials

Adding to the things said about the IndieDB news system, they use moderation and approve posts by hand. I try to post few and very relevant updates, but for example our news about being Greenlit, something huge for any indie game, was not deemed appropriate for front page publishing. I don't complain too much, it's free and some users found us thanks to them.

That's an amazing looking game, congratulations!

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

poemdexter posted:

xzzy posted:

Yeah, the game looks so goddamn good. Everything fits into the niche perfectly.

Thanks guys. Yes I loving love tweens now and will use them for everything everywhere all the time.

Coldrice posted:

I think indiedb works pretty well. Getting close to 400 watchers on the project now, nearly 50,000 views on the page itself. The follow through to my own site is only about 500 TOTAL unique hits from the all the last few updates... but it's not the kind of place where people follow to the main site (which is why I keep my updates there fairly large)

I've got nothing like those kind of numbers, though I have also not spent much time on promoting indiedb. 7,756 visits to the GoD page and 50 watchers and it's been up there for about a year with maybe 4 news posts in that time.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

To each their own I suppose. Not that I'm an avid follower of the site myself, mind. I rarely ever visit it to begin with, but I've been pretty bad about following most sites these days that aren't this one and Twitter, so make of that what you will. All I know is the article Nathan Grayson wrote about our game a while back wasn't offensively bad or anything, just full of undersea puns. What's more important in my mind is that they're out actively looking for content themselves - Nathan approached us about his story when he found us on Tigsource. Compare to sites like the Escapist, who A. aren't interested in anything indie, and B. have basically become content aggregators at this point, with basically every story being pulled from some other site that covered it first, or something that simply isn't newsworthy. (Fan-made Lego version of [insert popular trailer here] gets old as news real fast after the first two times it happens. There are lego films of EVERYTHING.)
Yup. RPS is one of the few sites I'm still willing to read. Even Polygon's drifting more content aggregator'y, though their long-form articles are often still fantastic. I have no idea why the rest are going full content aggregator - not only is it dull, but we already HAVE those for games, they're called Kotaku and Joystiq. And both strike a much better balance of at least aggregating games-specific news.

... also "the Penny Arcade dude" is named Jerry, and he's a really nice guy and his txt updates are cool, dangit :mad:. Jerry is the one behind the "Tycho" character, though Mike / "Gabe" does almost 100% of the comics these days. Jerry just offers input sometimes.

(I am also a "I use Twitter" person, though I find myself clicking through from there to a lot of RPS and Polygon articles... for me it's pretty much them and YouTube'ers)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 5, 2014

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Polygon is mostly useless aside from their long form articles. I read RPS daily, and sometimes their writing can be annoying, but at least their content is likely to be interesting and original content. Those are probably the only two sites I check each day for game "news".

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
I'm old school so I've been reading Blue's News for gaming info since 1996 and I'll only read RPS or Polygon if I hear about an interesting story there. It's terrible that it doesn't have a Wikipedia article though, apparently it's not "notable" enough. It's got archives going back all the way to 1996.

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 5, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

HiriseSoftware posted:

I'm old school so I've been reading Blue's News for gaming info since 1996 and I'll only read RPS or Polygon if I hear about an interesting story there. It's terrible that it doesn't have a Wikipedia article though, apparently it's not "notable" enough. It's got archives going back all the way to 1996.

http://www.bluesnews.com/

If the site had a more legible CSS template it might be more popular. It looks decent enough aggregator from a quick glance anyway.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

SystemLogoff posted:

http://www.bluesnews.com/

If the site had a more legible CSS template it might be more popular. It looks decent enough aggregator from a quick glance anyway.

He's kept pretty much the same layout since the beginning. It's nice to be able to see the headlines at a quick glance down the page. Other news sites are a bit too image-heavy in their posts so it's hard to filter stuff quickly.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Oh man they still have .plan updates in the sidebar.

I only ever regularly read rps anymore and glance at polygon occasionally. With the cheesy puns I find rps more charming than smug unlike a lot of similar sites. I also think rps is the only one with a decent balance of copy pasta and articles so it doesn't seem like an endless scroll of press releases and screenshots.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

Yup. RPS is one of the few sites I'm still willing to read. Even Polygon's drifting more content aggregator'y, though their long-form articles are often still fantastic. I have no idea why the rest are going full content aggregator - not only is it dull, but we already HAVE those for games, they're called Kotaku and Joystiq. And both strike a much better balance of at least aggregating games-specific news.

Reposting content is a billion times easier and way, way cheaper than actually producing it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Reposting content is a billion times easier and way, way cheaper than actually producing it.
Right, but how do you survive doing that? If people want an aggregator, why would they ever switch away from Joystiq or Kotaku? (or Destructoid, kinda). I guess it's like a cruise control that works only after your readership is established?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

Right, but how do you survive doing that? If people want an aggregator, why would they ever switch away from Joystiq or Kotaku? (or Destructoid, kinda). I guess it's like a cruise control that works only after your readership is established?

You don't. Unless you are THE aggregator for whatever subject shifting further and further away from actual content and just aggregating other people's crap is ultimately a path to self-destruction. Oddly enough Lowtax gave a really, really good talk about this a long time ago and covered the dot com bust and why it happened. People always trying to make money off of aggregating content rather than producing it is why so many websites have failed but SomethingAwful has been successful.

It's one of those weird things where somebody, somewhere decides that a major site could make more money if it just eliminated some staff or focused more on links than content. Writers cost money. A few interns spamming links doesn't but content is what keeps websites alive.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Polygon had a series of really interesting articles called Human Angle, I wish they still hosed with that kinda stuff.

I pretty much just click on links that pop up on twitter now.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I've been slowly working on a Cold War turn based strategy game. It's heavily inspired by the ancient game Balance of Power. I posted about it back in the Spring but couldn't work on it for a long time, but I've gotten back to it recently and have made a ton of progress.

Here are a few screenshots! (pretend it's not 1999 :blush:)

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 6, 2014

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I've been slowly working on a Cold War turn based strategy game. It's heavily inspired by the ancient game Balance of Power. I posted about it back in the Spring but couldn't work on it for a long time, but I've gotten back to it recently and have made a ton of progress.

Here are a few screenshots! (pretend it's not 1999 :blush:)

Thank you for including New Zealand. We are so often forgotten.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Ludum Dare theme is "Entire game on one screen." Let's do this!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Handpainting textures:
Pros - makes your stuff look actually decent, even at very low mesh res.
Cons - holy poo poo does this take time and now I understand why people hire artists.
Looks a lot better, though. But most of that is due to a quick lightmap bake.

Click!

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

READY

SET

MOW

You can play what I've got of this dumb lawnmower game here. Gonna flesh it out a bunch tomorrow but I'm pretty happy with the basic feel. Looks like something broke the percent counter on the web build, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

DeathBySpoon posted:

READY

SET

MOW

You can play what I've got of this dumb lawnmower game here. Gonna flesh it out a bunch tomorrow but I'm pretty happy with the basic feel. Looks like something broke the percent counter on the web build, though.

Have a random event where a black dog chases the mower around and you have to not hit is because then you simulate my life once a month.