Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I just noticed that Garou is wearing his ex-dojo's signature turtle neck :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
People turn into monsters for all sorts of reasons (eating too much crab) but Garou just wants evil to finally prevail. He's the villain we deserve. *sheds tear*

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Saitama is not going to get along with this guy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Saitama is not going to get along with this guy.

Sindai posted:

I absolutely adore Garou's hair.

And this is why :v:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I like Murata's take on Garou's design.

He's got one of those ectomorph builds jacked to 11. He's lean, mean, really adds to his sinister nature. We don't really get a lot of those in comics aside from 'skinny stickbox dude who can flatten mountans' a la Bleach.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I will be in hog Pig God Heaven if they ever do a side story on Watchdog, Metal Bat, or Zombieman.

Can't even imagine Watchdog's or Zombieman's origin story. Metal Bat looks like somebody who watched too many dubbed Happy Days episodes.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I like how, despite being a parody of shonen comics, the series is actually better paced and structured than most of the shonen series actively trying to be taken seriously. Maybe it's because the series is so unapologetic about its intents right out the gate that it loops full circle to being amazing in all aspects.

That fight with the Sea King? I found myself rooting for that fucker to be taken down, right along other shonen heavyhitters like Crocodile or Cell. And that guy had heart nipples! That is begging your readers to treat him like fluff, but I just can't because One is so drat good with his pacing and set-up.

I'm having trouble figuring out if I should take the series as silly or serious now, the writer and artist toe the line so well it's all but blurred for me at this point.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So Bang's dojo equivalent of a black belt is a black turtleneck.

I can get down with that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Parrotine posted:

I like how, despite being a parody of shonen comics, the series is actually better paced and structured than most of the shonen series actively trying to be taken seriously. Maybe it's because the series is so unapologetic about its intents right out the gate that it loops full circle to being amazing in all aspects.

That fight with the Sea King? I found myself rooting for that fucker to be taken down, right along other shonen heavyhitters like Crocodile or Cell. And that guy had heart nipples! That is begging your readers to treat him like fluff, but I just can't because One is so drat good with his pacing and set-up.

I'm having trouble figuring out if I should take the series as silly or serious now, the writer and artist toe the line so well it's all but blurred for me at this point.

You should also check out ONE's other series if you haven't yet. It trends slightly more seriously.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Parrotine posted:

Well that's the thing that's so wonderful about Onepunch-Man: ONE obviously intended to poke fun at shonen manga, but it came from a place of true appreciation. It might be silly as all hell, but it's equally earnest.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Parrotine posted:

The great thing about parody is that you don't actually need to establish a lot of things about your settings, your characters or their motivations, because you can count on your audience to already know them. So you can just have your villain appear out of nowhere, announce that he is evil and challenge the hero to a fight, because, well, that is what villains are supposed to do. What might come of as lazy or contrived in a work that plays it straight, since most stories are supposed to work the same as reality, works great in a parody work, that treats the genre convention as the laws of nature.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Zerilan posted:

You should also check out ONE's other series if you haven't yet. It trends slightly more seriously.

Is it drawn by Murata as well? Or maybe he hired another professional artist to do the heavy lifting?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

GoldenPrice posted:

New chapter.

These last few have been a little short.

They seem to coming out faster, though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Is it drawn by Murata as well? Or maybe he hired another professional artist to do the heavy lifting?

No, and I don't see why that would stop you.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

It's not gonna stop me, it just seems confusing that he wouldn't give Mob Psycho the same treatment as One Punch Man, especially considering that MP is where he spends the brunt of his focus on

If I were One i'd be doing all I could to get that series out there when you spend so much time working on it. It seems like an odd choice.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Parrotine posted:

It's not gonna stop me, it just seems confusing that he wouldn't give Mob Psycho the same treatment as One Punch Man, especially considering that MP is where he spends the brunt of his focus on

If I were One i'd be doing all I could to get that series out there when you spend so much time working on it. It seems like an odd choice.

Mob is published in a magazine and OPM is a webcomic he does for fun, so the legality is very different.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Parrotine posted:

No, it's drawn by ONE, but don't let that stop you. Mob Psycho 100 is a treasure:

His art is also a lot more consistent than it was in One Punch Man, original flavor. It's goofy in most places, but it looks just fine and it is very clear what is going on at all times. And every so often, ONE just knocks it out of the park with effort:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Is Mob Psycho 100 over? It kind of feels like it might be.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Why do you say that? Still have that whole organization running around and all. Also, we need more Reigen.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well, mob has come to terms with some more emotions and stuff I guess but he's nowhere near done. Still lots of places for the story to go.

Possibly just fooled by mob's weird release schedule, too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Old Man of the Underworld was pretty good too. ONE's series kind of have a trend of having the titular character be incredibly powerful compared to other characters in their setting, but don't really want/care about being that powerful and trying to live fairly normal lives (or at least normal for that setting's standards).

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Well, mob has come to terms with some more emotions and stuff I guess but he's nowhere near done. Still lots of places for the story to go.

Possibly just fooled by mob's weird release schedule, too.

its 3 weeks a month

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So One is a hobby mangaka.
Murata is following One, and doing as he instructs.

Onepunchman is biographical.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Old Man of the Underworld was pretty good too. ONE's series kind of have a trend of having the titular character be incredibly powerful compared to other characters in their setting, but don't really want/care about being that powerful and trying to live fairly normal lives (or at least normal for that setting's standards).

They all examine different aspects of having incredible power. Saitama deliberately set out to acquire power, but didn't find fulfillment in being a hero once he obtained it. Mob was born with his (frequently envied) power, but he only desires things that his power can't help him attain. I've only read a few chapters of old man here and there, though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Old man is a (very good) gag manga pure and simple.

It has an overarching progression in story but its not the point of it.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Old man is a (very good) gag manga pure and simple.

It has an overarching progression in story but its not the point of it.

I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

They all examine different aspects of having incredible power. Saitama deliberately set out to acquire power, but didn't find fulfillment in being a hero once he obtained it. Mob was born with his (frequently envied) power, but he only desires things that his power can't help him attain. I've only read a few chapters of old man here and there, though.

It's really fitting in that vein that the 3 title characters are all at different ages too. Mob's problems kind of parallel to any coming of age type story. An awkward kid trying to grow and accept who he is. Saitama's the young adult who succeeded at becoming what he dreamed of being as a kid, but it's not as satisfying as he'd hoped.

The Old Man is grown up and just content with who he is. Even in the underworld, he's one of the strongest demons (maybe the strongest in his prime even?), but he lives a normal (for the underworld) life that isn't based on that strength. When the series does have its bit of overarching progression, it's less about the Old Man's problems, and more about him being the strong, wise father figure to the younger generation.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Really enjoy Murata's take on Garou. Dude looks gnarly as hell.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Is Mob Psycho 100 over? It kind of feels like it might be.

Read the newest chapter and ask that...

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
New chapter is up! Excellent use of contrasts there. Also: King is truly the strongest.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

jwang posted:

New chapter is up! Excellent use of contrasts there. Also: King is truly the strongest.

http://bato.to/read/_/291447/onepunch-man_ch40.2_by_nerieru-scans

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The art is always fuckin amazing.
Except that one panel where G punches T. The line of action is all weird.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hahaha, King and Saitama videogame buddies :allears:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Powerup hogs are the loving worst.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I would watch Saitama and King do an LP.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If Saitama was better, King wouldn't be able to hog the powerups. Saitama needs to train more.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Saitama is at an inherent disadvantage while playing videogames because he has to hold back unspeakably in order to not just shatter the controller when he tries to press a button.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The King's Engine demands more powerups.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Shugojin posted:

Saitama is at an inherent disadvantage while playing videogames because he has to hold back unspeakably in order to not just shatter the controller when he tries to press a button.
King is the strongest man alive :colbert:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Well that is certainly one way to get your name out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parrotine posted:

Well that is certainly one way to get your name out there!

garou dgaf