Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they will have other aiming options, just like in OoT3ds

instead of discussing this, let's laugh at the guy who doesn't want a Wii U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cake Attack posted:

they will have other aiming options, just like in OoT3ds

instead of discussing this, let's laugh at the guy who doesn't want a Wii U

i'm trading my xbox 360 for one in march when my xbl runs out and dark souls 2 comes to ps4.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That game looks really good and I don't know why people are saying it's ugly. I like the bright colors, that they intentionally designed it, it seems, around viewpoints and marking the map, which lends itself well to the very good Wii U gamepad, which worked great for Windwaker HD. I liked the variety of landscape and the variety of trees once they were solidly in a forest. It is good that Epona can drive herself a bit so that you can focus on shooting your enemies while traveling, and the slow-mo mechanic, if they do it right, could be really fun. My one regret about the trailor is that it did not showcase a cucco, so that Aonuma could do his cucco dance.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Saw this on Twitter:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The gyro aiming in Wind Waker works great because they let you use it along with the stick - it's better than the stick for fine adjustments, while the stick is better for bigger movements (unless you want to be spinning around in your chair).

This is a much better way of doing it than just forcing the new gimmick controls on the player while removing the tried and tested alternative (hello Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, I'm looking at you) and I hope the new game follows suit.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gyro aiming is good and cool and it made the annoying shooting minigames in OoT3d super easy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dolphin posted:

That world looks terrible. Like it was designed by someone that doesn't know what a landscape looks like, like someone took an entire country and smooshed it into a couple square miles.

Congratulations, you just described the overworld of every Zelda game ever made.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

All I'm asking for is for Nintendo to give up and go 3rd party. Is that really so much to ask?

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ColdPie posted:

All I'm asking for is for Nintendo to give up and go 3rd party. Is that really so much to ask?

Yes, it is.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ColdPie posted:

the wii U is currently the best console on the market

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I want to buy a Zelda game on Steam.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shadow of the Colossus borrowed from Zelda, and then Zelda borrowed from Shadow of the Colossus. The cycle is complete.

We've all seen this before, but remember it anyway.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

MokBa posted:

Oh man that looks great. I'm just hoping they actually populate that world with secrets and activities instead of wholesale ripping off Shadow of the Colossus

Actually, I hope they literally just create SOTC with a Zelda theming. 13 giant bosses you have to traverse through the world to fight, bringing back their ungodly power to revive Zelda from the brink. :hellyeah:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Everyone look at this dumbass and laugh.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My baseless guess is this game will take place in the huge post wind waker new hyrule, after the Spirit Tracks. Maybe even have that for fast travel to make it even more of a western.

My only reasoning is because both areas are huge.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ColdPie posted:

I bet you agree with this article.

https://games.yahoo.com/news/pokemon-killing-nintendo-203038043.html

Edit:

greatn posted:

My baseless guess is this game will take place in the huge post wind waker new hyrule, after the Spirit Tracks. Maybe even have that for fast travel to make it even more of a western.

I'm hazarding a guess at post-Skyward Sword, before they colonize the land that will become Hyrule.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

greatn posted:

Lol, you think they're not going to make up a fourth timeline split for this.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MokBa posted:

Let's acknowledge the fact that playing on the WiiU gamepad means that we don't have to flail our arms around anymore to swing a sword. Glory be!

You didn't have to flail your arms around to play Skyward Sword.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
It mostly looks really good, although it does prove for sure that earlier video was just a cinematic or a pre-rendered "artists interpretation", a good bit of things look different. Still, pretty close.

I'm pretty amazed at how big the world looks, that's awesome. I love to run around in big skyrim worlds. It does feel a bit empty though...

And wow, objects out in the distance look like rear end. I guess they're pushing the WiiU hardware as hard as it can go already.

Floating arrow shots look fun as hell. Epona mostly auto-driving is pretty great. Definitely interested to play this one, although a bit cautious of some things.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ChaosArgate posted:

I bet you agree with this article.

https://games.yahoo.com/news/pokemon-killing-nintendo-203038043.html

Edit:

I'm hazarding a guess at post-Skyward Sword, before they colonize the land that will become Hyrule.

Looking at it, it does appear to be Hyrule - you have something that could be Lake Hylia in the south, and the zora domain to the north east, with a rather volcanic looking splotch that might be Death Mountain north of that. The really curious bit for me though is that there's what appears to be outright ocean to the east, whilst Hyrule is typically more of a landlocked country. However, with some of the shading, it looks like the darker patches are lower lying plains (ie, Hyrule field and such), whilst the outer circle of the map is mountainous highlands, which would give the devs a reason to have rough, winding roads to extend the travel time (ie, how Skyrim did it). For reference.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Spacebump posted:

You didn't have to flail your arms around to play Skyward Sword.

It's an exaggeration. I actually didn't have many problems with the SS controls and enjoyed them more than most, but I'd still rather go back to the old system.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I predict there will either be multiple control schemes possible, or the game will switch to Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuck when combat happens.

Miyamoto himself said in an interview after Skyward Sword he didn't see how we could ever "go back" from NOT using motion control sword fighting.

Personally, I hope we can at least use the Wii U Pro Controller for most of the game.

Also, I am excited for this game. Nintendo has NEVER made a bad Zelda game. Some Zelda games are way better than others, but there hasn't been an actual BAD Zelda game and you all know that!

Glad that a transitioning day-night is back. In Skyward Sword it was either DAY or NIGHT and no in-between.

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 6, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spectacle Rock posted:

Also, I am excited for this game. Nintendo has NEVER made a bad Zelda game. Some Zelda games are way better than others, but there hasn't been an actual BAD Zelda game and you all know that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTt-kfPvRks

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

I clearly said made by "Nintendo." The Phillips games had zero input from Miyamoto and are thus non-canon :colbert:

Ok, I see your point, there have been BAD Zelda games, but zero bad Zelda games that were made by Nintendo. CD-I doesn't count!

edit: Zelda II for NES was different, but it wasn't bad. For its time it was an adventurous product. It probably is the black sheep on the Nintendo Zeldas, but that doesn't make it bad.

People mistake BAD for INSANELY DIFFICULT. You had to be a gaming guru to even possible make it to the final dungeon.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Spectacle Rock posted:

...but there hasn't been an actual BAD Zelda game and you all know that!

I know this is a challenge... Zelda II maybe?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Link's Crossbow Training was alright

I can't loving believe I bought that though

edit; Actually my dad did :smith:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spectacle Rock posted:

I predict there will either be multiple control schemes possible, or the game will switch to Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuck when combat happens.

Miyamoto himself said in an interview after Skyward Sword he didn't see how we could ever "go back" from NOT using motion control sword fighting.

Personally, I hope we can at least use the Wii U Pro Controller for most of the game.

Glad that a transitioning day-night is back. In Skyward Sword it was either DAY or NIGHT and no in-between.

Conversely, after playing SS and going back to TP, not being able to easily transition from day to night or vice versa is pretty frustrating. I don't think running around in circles or setting the controller down for 5-10 minutes just so you can catch a Poe that only comes out at night adds anything to the game.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Conversely, after playing SS and going back to TP, not being able to easily transition from day to night or vice versa is pretty frustrating. I don't think running around in circles or setting the controller down for 5-10 minutes just so you can catch a Poe that only comes out at night adds anything to the game.

Ocarina of Time, the first game to do a transitioning day night system, did it the best.

If you just wait around, time changes normally. If you want to go straight to night or day, play the Sun's Song. Twilight Princess needed some version of the Sun's Song. I remember waiting for those poes as well and it wasn't fun.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah but did Skyward Sword have ROLLGOALLL?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

I do not see how this discounts what they said

Ironically that Zelda did more than all the other Zeldas combined.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Spectacle Rock posted:

Ocarina of Time, the first game to do a transitioning day night system, did it the best.

If you just wait around, time changes normally. If you want to go straight to night or day, play the Sun's Song. Twilight Princess needed some version of the Sun's Song. I remember waiting for those poes as well and it wasn't fun.

I think I remember TP having a feature where it would always be night when you left the trials place and day when you left the city in the sky. Or something like that. Either way though, the system should have been as easy as OoT's.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spectacle Rock posted:

Spirit Tracks came pretty loving close.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Phantom Hourglass came pretty loving close.

FTFY

I actually didn't mind Spirit Tracks, but a large part of that might have been the kickass overworld theme.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantom Hourglass didn't make me gently caress around with trains for 20 minutes to get anywhere, so nah.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gandalf21 posted:

FTFY

I actually didn't mind Spirit Tracks, but a large part of that might have been the kickass overworld theme.

Zelda being useful was pretty nice too.

And Malladus might've been a dumb train beast but holy poo poo did it have excellent boss themes.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Pretty much all we've seen is the world map with not a lot of detail in things, enemy goblins and reused Epona models. I cannot wait to compare the finished game to this little off center peak because man Nintendo polishes their games so much.

I'm going to collect all the bugs

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Triskelli posted:

I know this is a challenge... Zelda II maybe?
Zelda II is one of the best games in the series.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yeah, but let's remember that Hyrule warriors was a cheap palette swap of existing games to cash in on the fact that people think there are no bad zelda games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hyrule Warriors is a good game. Miles ahead of, say, Twilight Princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Yeah, but let's remember that Hyrule warriors was a cheap palette swap of existing games to cash in on the fact that people think there are no bad zelda games.

Hyrule Warriors is a good game, though.

• Locked thread