Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My crawl team was "David Bowie's Procedural Death Labyrinth" and now my brain fills in the "David Bowie" whenever I see it written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i fail to see the problem here

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Sounds like a theme for a 7drl.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
> You see before you ZIGGY STARDUST.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
procedural death labyrinth is also a perfect description of what Invisible, Inc. is

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
John Harris' old @Play column (linked in the OP) talked about the whole "What is a roguelike" argument a bit. It goes back literally decades at this point, so nobody is going to solve it in this thread.

A lot of people feel that things like random items that need identification are integral to being a Roguelike, but most modern ones are doing their best to phase that out or ignore it entirely. Ditto with hunger mechanics (although there are a lot of "time-pressure" mechanics that are still fairly common and serve basically the same function).

To me the only two things you need to be a roguelike are:
A) Randomness
B) Permadeath

I know there are games that have random level generation without permadeath like Torchlight or Diablo, but honestly without permadeath, you don't really get much out of being randomly generated. If you're plowing through a hack and slash RPG you probably don't really care whether the next hallway goes left or goes right. You're just charging through killing monsters and if you die you just run back to where you died and kill the monsters that just killed you and keep going. They might as well just be a linear RPG with random encounters like Final Fantasy games. Permadeath is what puts the danger in not knowing what's around the next corner, because if you charge in recklessly and die, you lose everything and start over. Dark Souls got a lot of mileage out of that feeling even without being randomly generated - the point of the randomness is that it creates that same feeling EVERY TIME, rather than just on your first go through the game.

Also, I agree that "Procedural Death Labyrinth" is a metal as gently caress name and should really be what they're called. At the very least someone should make a GAME called Procedural Death Labyrinth.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Diablo and Diablo-likes can become somewhat closer to roguelike if you play on hardcore, since the levels and monsters are somewhat randomized and hardcore has permadeath. Hell, Minecraft and Terraria are sorta-kinda roguelikes if you play on hardcore.

What they all definitely are on hardcore is procedural death labyrinths, since they are 1. "procedural" (random) and somewhat labyrinthine and 2. full of death. Same with FTL.

This proves beyond doubt that Procedural Death Labyrinth (PDL) is the best new and inclusive genre name and I throw my full support behind its adoption. Let's use it alongside the more baroquely vague "roguelike" to further qualify games; Liberal Crime Squad is a roguelike, Diablo is a PDL, and DoomRL is a roguelike PDL.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 6, 2014

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Deth Lab 4 Looty

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Didn't Diablo originally start in pre-production as a turn based game? Thought I read that somewhere.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

John Harris' old @Play column (linked in the OP) talked about the whole "What is a roguelike" argument a bit. It goes back literally decades at this point, so nobody is going to solve it in this thread.

A lot of people feel that things like random items that need identification are integral to being a Roguelike, but most modern ones are doing their best to phase that out or ignore it entirely. Ditto with hunger mechanics (although there are a lot of "time-pressure" mechanics that are still fairly common and serve basically the same function).

To me the only two things you need to be a roguelike are:
A) Randomness
B) Permadeath

I know there are games that have random level generation without permadeath like Torchlight or Diablo, but honestly without permadeath, you don't really get much out of being randomly generated. If you're plowing through a hack and slash RPG you probably don't really care whether the next hallway goes left or goes right. You're just charging through killing monsters and if you die you just run back to where you died and kill the monsters that just killed you and keep going. They might as well just be a linear RPG with random encounters like Final Fantasy games. Permadeath is what puts the danger in not knowing what's around the next corner, because if you charge in recklessly and die, you lose everything and start over. Dark Souls got a lot of mileage out of that feeling even without being randomly generated - the point of the randomness is that it creates that same feeling EVERY TIME, rather than just on your first go through the game.

Also, I agree that "Procedural Death Labyrinth" is a metal as gently caress name and should really be what they're called. At the very least someone should make a GAME called Procedural Death Labyrinth.

I think there's a big checklist of roguelike stuff and, for me, it needs to meet several of them. Some are more important that others, some are vital. I haven't sat down to figure out the exact formula but I don't think A/B are enough. Because I don't think A or B are necessary. Games with stiff punishments for death can still be a roguelike, static design can be a roguelike too.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Goddamn yall, is it really so hard to split games into roguelikes and roguelites? Nethack is a roguelike, BoI and FTL are roguelites. Problem solved.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

It's all subjective anyway. My favorite traditional roguelikes are crawl, ultima online, warframe and cards against humanity but not everyone has to agree with that definition obviously.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
It's not like other genres are 100% agreed upon either - both the Legend of Zelda & Monkey Island-series have often been called "adventure games", while obviously being entirely different.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The people who make the games should call it whatever the gently caress they want, just like bands that make up dumb fake genres to describe themselves.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Didn't Diablo originally start in pre-production as a turn based game? Thought I read that somewhere.

I've heard the same thing -- somewhere in development one of the devs decided to remove the pause between turns to see what happened, and oh hey, it actually works pretty well. Diablo 1 is still very clearly tile-based and I seem to recall being able to "see" turns lurking in the background, so to speak (e.g. in seeing the timing of how entities act). Though of course it's no longer actually turn based given that it's possible to dodge projectiles by moving out of the way.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've heard the same thing -- somewhere in development one of the devs decided to remove the pause between turns to see what happened, and oh hey, it actually works pretty well. Diablo 1 is still very clearly tile-based and I seem to recall being able to "see" turns lurking in the background, so to speak (e.g. in seeing the timing of how entities act). Though of course it's no longer actually turn based given that it's possible to dodge projectiles by moving out of the way.

You can have a turn-based game that lets you dodge projectiles. TOME lets you do so, because many (though not all) projectiles have a defined movement speed rather than arriving instantaneously, and if you get a turn between when they're launched and when they get to where they're going, you can get out of the way. Obviously it isn't quite the same way Diablo lets you act since it's realtime (now, anyway), but it can happen.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Prism posted:

You can have a turn-based game that lets you dodge projectiles. TOME lets you do so, because many (though not all) projectiles have a defined movement speed rather than arriving instantaneously, and if you get a turn between when they're launched and when they get to where they're going, you can get out of the way. Obviously it isn't quite the same way Diablo lets you act since it's realtime (now, anyway), but it can happen.

I think orb of destruction in crawl too? I wish more roguelikes did it more, feels like you have more tactical control that way.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I think orb of destruction in crawl too? I wish more roguelikes did it more, feels like you have more tactical control that way.

Yeah, the Orb of Destruction moves (and unlike TOME projectiles, it tries to home but doesn't corner very well), but it and ball lightning are pretty much the only things that do it; in TOME it's kind of just a thing many projectiles that aren't beams do.

There is very little more satisfying than using a short-range teleport to vault over an enemy and let the Orb of Destruction tracking you hit it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They're also both kinda kludgy, since they're really just summoned monsters that suicide when they get next to something.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Prism posted:

There is very little more satisfying than using a short-range teleport to vault over an enemy and let the Orb of Destruction tracking you hit it.

Playing as a ToME Rogue, being next to a mage, getting to act the same instant they cast a really powerful but slow-moving spell, switching places with them, and watching them get completely pasted by their own projectile.

Also good: being a Brawler and using THE POWER OF PUNCHES to dodge a spell, grab its caster, and hurl them bodily into their own spell

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It's actually kind of odd that DoomRL doesn't do that, given the emphasis on dodging slow moving projectiles in Doom itself.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

This sounds like a game concept to me. Your character has no direct attacks, just mobility techniques (with cooldowns, maybe)...but they're being chased by an all-destroying automaton. You can only kill things by luring the automaton into them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's a PDL with those mechanics, but I can't recall the name of it offhand.

Dungeonmans has a lot of player abilities and monster abilities that mess with space and movement in interesting ways. Unfortunately the enemies didn't end up using quite as many time/dodging/things you can react to type attacks as I was hoping it would from earlier alphas, but it feels pretty dynamic compared to a lot of 'bump alphabet' combat systems that are boring as hell in other games (hello Crawl melee).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yep. It originally (if I remember the interview at the back of the Diablo strategy guide correctly, anyways) started out as a very traditional turn-based roguelike, except with graphics and a streamlined UI. There was an ongoing debate over whether to keep it turn-based or make it realtime; eventually someone hacked together a realtime version of the engine to see how it played and after passing that around the office for a bit a new consensus was arrived at to make it realtime.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's actually kind of odd that DoomRL doesn't do that, given the emphasis on dodging slow moving projectiles in Doom itself.

DoomRL has its own dodging mechanics -- basically, you get a % chance to dodge by moving laterally before the enemy actually fires, with bonuses for movement speed, the Dodgemaster trait, running, etc.

It does feel odd that it doesn't have slow-moving projectiles, but I can kind of see why they did it that way. In Doom proper, you often either have too many projectiles flying at you to dodge them all, or you have projectiles coming at you from multiple directions and can't see all of them to dodge them. In DoomRL the former is very rarely the case and the latter never happens because of the top-down view, so with projectile movement speed you would basically have no excuse for ever getting hit at all except by hitscan enemies.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Should be ready for beta of full controller support and holiday content this week! Just a couple little things to tidy up.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It does, they're called 'lost souls'.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Dropbear posted:

It's not like other genres are 100% agreed upon either - both the Legend of Zelda & Monkey Island-series have often been called "adventure games", while obviously being entirely different.

the legend of zelda series is clearly and has always been action RPGs with a focus on categorical rather than incremental loot and some puzzles. I think it was only ever called an adventure game because the guy who cooked it up based on his adventures wandering in the woods as a kid.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

andrew smash posted:

the legend of zelda series is clearly and has always been action RPGs with a focus on categorical rather than incremental loot and some puzzles. I think it was only ever called an adventure game because the guy who cooked it up based on his adventures wandering in the woods as a kid.

Didn't the "action RPG" name not come around until the 90s? People called Zelda an adventure game because the "action RPG" term wasn't a thing yet.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Zelda is an Action-Adventure game. Now what that specifically means who knows but that is the term that is usually used to describe Zelda and games like Zelda i.e. Jack and Daxter, Rachet and Clank, Metroid, etc.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Nintendo Kid posted:

Didn't the "action RPG" name not come around until the 90s? People called Zelda an adventure game because the "action RPG" term wasn't a thing yet.

it didn't, but adventure games did exist then and zelda had essentially nothing in common with them except the fact that specific items were checkpoints on your progression through the game.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
And outside of setting, Zelda has very, very little in common with what would be considered a traditional RPG of the era. Even the things it does have in common are kind of debatable (do heart containers count as leveling up? etc).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Lunatic Sledge posted:

And outside of setting, Zelda has very, very little in common with what would be considered a traditional RPG of the era. Even the things it does have in common are kind of debatable (do heart containers count as leveling up? etc).

I would think "getting stronger as you progress" is a better defining element of an rpg than "literally has a number that goes up".

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would think "getting stronger as you progress" is a better defining element of an rpg than "literally has a number that goes up".

It's a defining element, yeah, though stuff like Alter Beast and Resident Evil are great RPGs if we're rolling off that metric. Zelda also lacks a party system, turn based combat, or pretty much any of the other things that would define an RPG of the time, or barely even define an RPG now, save the setting and the perspective of the gameplay. (Edit: You don't even necessarily get stronger as you progress in Zelda; you could beat all the dungeons and never get better than the wooden sword, accidentally).

Defining all the specifics of a genre, any genre, is kind of difficult.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 7, 2014

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Unormal posted:

Should be ready for beta of full controller support and holiday content this week! Just a couple little things to tidy up.

aw yesssss, controller support is something I've kind of been wishing this game had

vvv Oh sweet. K. I'll let you know if anything breaks.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 7, 2014

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

SpruceZeus posted:

aw yesssss, controller support is something I've kind of been wishing this game had

If you, or anyone else, would like to help test it out immediately, you can access the latest alpha by putting "sproggiwooddebug" in the password field of the "Betas" tab in the Steam client, and switch to the debug branch. This branch isn't a stable branch like Beta, but it should be stable-ISH, and is usually fairly far ahead of Beta.

Currently controller support is completely functionally implemented except for clicking on speech bubbles and doing decoration, though there's still a little polish missing.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Unormal posted:

The sheep doesn't have a santa hat. :(

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
How does the 7DRL work? I tried looking at their website but it's completely devoid of information. I'm at a point in programming now that I could probably complete one but I can't find much info on it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lord Windy posted:

How does the 7DRL work? I tried looking at their website but it's completely devoid of information. I'm at a point in programming now that I could probably complete one but I can't find much info on it.

I think you just have to hit the Register button on this page.

e: and then program a roguelike. That part is kinda important.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: and then program a roguelike. That part is kinda important.

Pfft, I am just going to rebrand Cataclysm to 'Lord Windy's house of Zombies' and submit.

More seriously, I think I might just do my own '7DRL' starting soon. I'm on Holidays so it could be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

It's a defining element, yeah, though stuff like Alter Beast and Resident Evil are great RPGs if we're rolling off that metric. Zelda also lacks a party system, turn based combat, or pretty much any of the other things that would define an RPG of the time, or barely even define an RPG now, save the setting and the perspective of the gameplay. (Edit: You don't even necessarily get stronger as you progress in Zelda; you could beat all the dungeons and never get better than the wooden sword, accidentally).

Defining all the specifics of a genre, any genre, is kind of difficult.

I think power gained through discovery and not conflict is one of the big indicators against RPG and for Adventure.