Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
"Fire burns. Lava bites." So utterly dumb, I can't wait. Reminds me of all the terrible scifi/horror films of the 50's and 60's that entertained me as a kid but cranked up to insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wormil posted:

Reminds me of all the terrible scifi/horror films of the 50's and 60's that entertained me as a kid but cranked up to insanity.

There's a good reason all these SyFy films remind you of the 50s Z-list horror movies: a large number of them are produced by Roger Corman. He started out in the 50s with films like The Beast with a Million Eyes, Attack of the Crab Monsters and Night of the Blood Beast and in recent times he's given us Sharktopus, Piranhaconda, Sharktopus vs. Mermantula, Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda, Dinoshark and Dinocroc vs. Supergator.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a good reason all these SyFy films remind you of the 50s Z-list horror movies: a large number of them are produced by Roger Corman. He started out in the 50s with films like The Beast with a Million Eyes, Attack of the Crab Monsters and Night of the Blood Beast and in recent times he's given us Sharktopus, Piranhaconda, Sharktopus vs. Mermantula, Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda, Dinoshark and Dinocroc vs. Supergator.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea that Roger Corman was still alive, much less the one who helped give us Sharktopus. And looking at his IMDb now, I had no idea he had bit roles in Godfather Part II, Silence of the Lambs, and Apollo 13, either.

One of my other favorite Corman procedures was to get the rights to actual quality Soviet science fiction films, then cut them up and give them lovely English dubs to release them in the US as cheap shlock.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I like the crazy that has enveloped him in old age.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
No the crazy has always been there. Little Shop, The Terror, Death Race 2000.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chairman Capone posted:

And looking at his IMDb now, I had no idea he had bit roles in Godfather Part II, Silence of the Lambs, and Apollo 13, either.

Coppola, Demme and Howard all broke into Hollywood on Corman productions so they gave him those roles as a thankyou for giving them their big breaks. :ssh:

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
We probably wouldn't have Ron Howard as a director except for Roger Corman.

Anyone keeping up with Haven this season. It'll probably get old soon, but I love watching Emily Rose being cartoonishly evil. She's clearly having a wonderful time with it.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

johntfs posted:

We probably wouldn't have Ron Howard as a director except for Roger Corman.

Anyone keeping up with Haven this season. It'll probably get old soon, but I love watching Emily Rose being cartoonishly evil. She's clearly having a wonderful time with it.

There's a very slow Haven thread already. I personally hope this is the end game, because keeping it going for 26 episodes this "season" is already going to be pushing it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Coppola, Demme and Howard all broke into Hollywood on Corman productions so they gave him those roles as a thankyou for giving them their big breaks. :ssh:

It suddenly makes more sense why they chose the Roger Corman Fantastic Four to parody in Arrested Development.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Z Nation has zombie animals so it is automatically better than The Walking Dead or most zombie media recently with the exception of the Resident Evil series.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Needs zombie birds and rats.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm reading the second Magicians book and I'm wondering how the upcoming show is going to deal with the Julia backstory situation. It's kind of important to not give it right away but if they just follow the books it means she'll be introduced early on and then not show up for a really big chunk of the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also, both Defiance and Dominion got renewed.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Dominion is such a disappointment for me. I enjoyed the stupid cheesy movie it was based on but this series takes itself too seriously and is such a bore. The special effects are okay for syfy budget though I guess.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

First 30 second trailer for Ascension:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/30/syfy-ascension-tricia-helfer/

I really love the look of the series so far. And even though it's only a split second I'm really curious over the 33 (I think) star flag.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

First proper Ascension trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJqQ4OdPcAo

It definitely looks more like it has elements of the typical Orion design. Also Tricia Helfer giving off Number Six vibes. There's also a plot element I don't think has been mentioned before: It looks like at least part of this is set on modern-day Earth, maybe as some kind of a frame story? I guess the Ascension is mean to have "actually" been launched, but in secret, in our early 1960s?

Anyway I'm really digging the design and visuals of the show. Looking forward to this more than I thought I would be.

Also in other Syfy miniseries news Charles loving Dance is going to play Karellen in Childhood's End. That's an amazing choice. By which I assume He's going to be voicing him? Unless they actually plan on having him wear a Satan suit?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Syfy has announced they're working on a miniseries adaptation of 3001 the final book in Arthur C Clarke's 2001 series. 3001 is kind of weird as it follows Frank Poole (the other astronaut who gets killed partway through the first book/movie) when his body is found and he is revived after a thousand years of floating through space.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I recall there are genetically-engineered velociraptor servants, also.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

This Just In, Z nation was surprisingly enjoyable. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the second season.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Reminder that Ascension starts tomorrow and airs as a three day event from Monday to Wednesday.

Early reviews of the opening hours have generally been positive, some more so than others:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/14/ascension-night-one-review?abthid=548dd8f283a6ab563b000003
http://variety.com/2014/tv/reviews/tv-review-syfys-ascension-1201371265/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2014/12/09/syfy-ascension-review/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
DVR is set. I haven't watch any previews or anything so I'm hoping it's good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm really looking forward to it. It actually makes me feel like going back and watching the BSG miniseries. I miss Syfy doing its annual December miniseries. Dune, Children of Dune, BSG, The Triangle, Earthsea, The Lost Room, Tin Man, Alice, Neverland... some of them were poo poo, some were amazing, but either way I enjoyed the excuse to sit down and blow two hours watching them.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I loved The Lost Room and remain slightly bitter to this day that there was no continuation of it in any medium (there was supposed to be comic book series, but it fell through).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, Elias Toufexis! He didn't ask to be in this.

Kind of surprised we're getting any "on Earth" bits.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

muscles like this? posted:

Gotta spoonfeed exposition to somebody :v:

I kid cause I love. This has been pretty neat so far.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

The cast of this is made up "o hey it's that guy!"

Interesting though. This better not a 'you were in a bunker the whole time' kinda thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how the boyfriend doesn't believe in Russians.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Erghh posted:

The cast of this is made up "o hey it's that guy!"

Interesting though. This better not a 'you were in a bunker the whole time' kinda thing.

There's got to be something weird going on. If the ship was really 50 years out it would take years for messages to get back to Earth.

Lol, I have a feeling that someone at Syfy didn't do a good job of explaining the show to Kay Jewelers.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 16, 2014

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Yeah, I was wondering about their comm situation. Stuff on Earth could get interesting for the grand conspiracy part. Especially the military not civie bit they dropped. (Grad students wreck everything)

Tricia Helfer is creepy in this.

edit: lol can't add a baby without ending someone *points to airlock* :haw:

Erghh fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 16, 2014

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Well that was quick...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It probably would have been a little less obvious if they hadn't had so many Earth scenes.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

gently caress this show. I wanted to watch a show about a spaceship. I don't care about the show if it's not about a spaceship.

Nobody makes shows about spaceships anymore.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not really sure what to make of that but at least it'll conclude over the next couple nights

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
I think the Ascension twist was pretty good to be honest. I hadn't watched much promo material though so maybe I took everything at face value. They better have a well thought out reason for doing it though.

Doesn't look like anyone watched it though which is a shame.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The real twist is that the people on "Earth" are actually on a giant O'Neil Cylinder.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

It probably would have been a little less obvious if they hadn't had so many Earth scenes.

This
Also this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120382/
Calling it now, someone on-board has to be in on it (and not the little girl, though she obviously knows what's up)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's still a chance for it to do a nice twist on the twist, i guess

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Calling it now, someone on-board has to be in on it (and not the little girl, though she obviously knows what's up)

I think there was a lot of implication that they tell anyone who holds the title of Captain, though I could be wrong.

Crazy theory: The bigger twist is that NASA already has FTL or wormhole technology, but it's too costly to use more than once and they need to prove a few thousand people can get in a ship, land on a planet and spend the next hundred years using that planet's resources to make more ships without deciding to rebel and leave earth to rot

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what's the twist? Is it Doctor Who: Planet of the Dinosaurs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rhyno posted:

So what's the twist? Is it Doctor Who: Planet of the Dinosaurs?

ascension isn't actually in space. it's in a top-secret government facility and pretty much everything is controlled to make the mildly clueless passengers on board think that they're actually in space and heading towards the planet/whatever they're supposed to be heading for. no one actually knows why such an elaborate experiment is being run by the government as of yet. to be honest i guess it still has some potential, but i'm not gonna lie: the twist kinda did dishearten me a little bit because it would have been cool if there was less focus overall on the earth side of things.