Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

kazil posted:

It's almost 2015 why in the gently caress do FPS video games still bind crouch to c?

Because crouch starts with C. Grenade starts with G. At least that's the explanation I've always assumed.

So here's a really dumb contribution. I'm playing a Japanese F2P mobile game about gundams, which says it all really. But there's this arena mode where you fight other players teams and the thing that drags it all down is that it doesn't match you up with people in your strength level at all. So a new player gets matched up with people at max level that have dudes that fire screen-clearing lasers. At least it's not mandatory, like some mobile games' pvp sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

Because crouch starts with C. Grenade starts with G. At least that's the explanation I've always assumed.
Moving grenades to the middle mouse button was the best switch in shooter controls. No more slipping trying to open a door and throwing a grenade at my feet instead!

swamp waste posted:

I know what the dude is saying. Walking into the water temple especially it's like drat I am going to spend so much time laboriously swimming clockwise around these three floors of rooms that look identical on the map trying to remember WHERE the thing I just picked up somewhere else in the dungeon is supposed to go. A lot of the dungeons have nasty circuits of puzzle rooms that terminate in points of no return, even if you've solved the puzzles already, so you can end up backtracking because oh poo poo you were supposed to go through the left door instead of the right one or whatever and now the bars drop behind you and you're gonna have to backtrack to get to where you previously started backtracking and you begin to wonder what skill this is testing besides your ability to not lose focus while bored

That's been quite a few of the Zelda's. OoT was definitely super bad about it, but it's not like WW or Link's Awakening weren't just as bad. Half my playtime on those games involved walking in circles.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

rear end Creed: Black Flag.

You can no longer kill people with brooms and rakes and shovels. Corpses actually keep these implements in (literal) deathgrips. And when they do drop them, they can't be picked up to wreak havoc. (Not that you could use them anyways, since the game autoswitches to hidden blade at every drat opportunity)

Tying specific shanties on the map to specific shanties your crew sang would have been nice. Or at least randomizing things a bit, because I'm pretty sure each shanty just adds to a fixed list.

Having recruitable officers would also have been nice. Yes, I am in fact looking for a proper pirate rpg. (Like all the assassins you help kill Templars. They should be hanging out on my ship now)(The crew probably be a bit less poo poo at killing people while boarding if they had actual officers)

There's very little point to looting people. In previous rear end Creed's high value targets generally at least had a fair bit of money on them. (And money is actually useful in this game)

Guards literally materializing out of thin air in front of me. Annoying.

The scruffy beard on Ed is hella distracting.

None of the black guys seem to have visible hair. Did someone sit down and figure "the hair on white models look perfectly good, let's not overreach"? Because it really doesn't.

If you put the map marker on an icon, it tells you how far away it is in the regular hud. If you put the map marker on the map but not on an icon, it still guides you but doesn't tell you the distance. In related news, whenever you think you have your mouse clicking precisely on an icon (because the icon is highlighted) apparently it's not quiiiiiiite there, and you set a marker on an empty map spot instead.

Feeling pretty proud of myself, because I quickly caught and tackled a guy by taking a clever shortcut. Cue cutscene in which he runs onto a ship. Welp.

Why are assassination missions on different islands prominently displayed on the map, looking like they're on the island I'm currently on? (Having them shown while I'm at sea is fine, of course)

Boarding a ship, shooting swivel guns – "this ancestor did not kill civilians or domestic animals"

Fast travelled to my ship, it turned upside down and killed my entire crew.

What's that weird gesture Edward just did? Oh, he's mimicking pulling a cowl over his head, except this armor doesn't have a cowl. I mean, it's just an important storyline outfit, not something to bother integrating.

The game lets you know you when you have enough supplies to upgrade your ship. That's good. For some reason it counts cosmetic upgrades (which are in their own separate menu for a reason). That's bad.
The game has (essentially) two separate upgrade currencies. You need money and materials. Money is handled rather well – you gain some with every activity you do, but the reward / upgrade cost balance is such that you should only start getting more money than you know what to do with by the time you hit the late game (and even then, you only have more than you can currently spend because): it's the materials that are the problem. You can only get some by taking down ships and robbing warehouses (and warehouses take forever to be refilled).. Furthermore, metal is far rarer than the other upgrade materials, and is required for all the important upgrades. You basically have to grind ship encounters, bad RPG style, in order to upgrade your ship (since just progressing through the game and doing regular activities won't help you a bit) This means that when it comes to upgrading your ship, you can (and should) ignore all the chests and buried treasure, and the stupid trading mini-game – none of those actually help you one iota.

The ship-to-ship combat is fun, but it just highlights how bland the on-foot combat is. You have to board ships in order to gain the most resources while grinding, and it's hella samey and boring. (My computer also suffers from a slowdown when boarding, so that doesn't help)

I come back from a diving expedition / smugglers den infiltration, and swim up to the ship in diving gear. Just as I'm thinking "hey, boarding a man-o-war in this outfit and without weapons would be a challenge", I grasp the wheel and automatically get my regular outfit and weapons

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

So you want a true pirate sim, but don't want to have to hunt down ships for their plunder? :crossarms:

Also, I have a ton of time in Black Flag and never got half those bugs.

You should also buy Sid Meier's Pirates!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah if you're more into the piracy thing than anything else you should just buy Pirates! and be done with it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Max Payne 3 stop switching to my pistol after every cutscene. I get that you mocapped every scene expecting Max to hold a pistol but you can go ahead and switch back to my assault rifle when a fight starts.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's been quite a few of the Zelda's. OoT was definitely super bad about it, but it's not like WW or Link's Awakening weren't just as bad. Half my playtime on those games involved walking in circles.

Wait, how the hell do you get lost in the dungeons in Wind Waker? What the hell?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

kazil posted:

So you want a true pirate sim, but don't want to have to hunt down ships for their plunder? :crossarms:

I suppose it's more that he needs ten of everything to upgrade the ship and he's got two metal and twenty of everything else and no way to convert so all he can do is hunt down random merchant ships for a couple hours instead of having a cool megaboat that can take on the finest ships in the British navy.

My brother's expressed similar grievances with just wanting a full pirate gently caress-around simulator.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

I don't mind OoT's dungeons, but they're definitely very blatantly dungeons. They either didn't know how to make them seem like a viable non-dungeon setting, or just weren't trying to, because you're right that all of them feel like Evil Dungeons With Evil Things In Them, with the setting itself feeling like it doesn't serve any other purpose.

They learned by Wind Waker how to make a dungeon feel like something else, and do fairly well in that, but the N64 Zeldas suffer a bit from it. OoT still has some nice settings in the form of Jabu-Jabu's Belly and the Spirit Temple, and Majora's Mask has some great 'sub-dungeons' like the Skulltula Houses, the Pirate's Fortress and Ikana Castle, but for the most part they're fairly transparently dungeon-y.

In Majora's Mask at least the actual dungeons did have a good in-universe explanation: they were literal dungeons, meant to keep in the beast inside of them.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My thing dragging a Zelda game down is that in Hyrule Warriors, whenever an enemy leader shows up - the time I most want to actually engage the combat system - the game becomes a noninteractive slog where I wait for the enemy to do their clearly marked vulnerable state (if I don't, they either take little damage or increasingly just block attacks outright) and then mash a button until it triggers my instant kill mini-cutscene. I wish they'd just let me fight.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Caphi posted:

My thing dragging a Zelda game down is that in Hyrule Warriors, whenever an enemy leader shows up - the time I most want to actually engage the combat system - the game becomes a noninteractive slog where I wait for the enemy to do their clearly marked vulnerable state (if I don't, they either take little damage or increasingly just block attacks outright) and then mash a button until it triggers my instant kill mini-cutscene. I wish they'd just let me fight.

That's kind of true in several 3D Zelda games, actually. OoT especially has lots and lots of waiting for vulnerable spots.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Caphi posted:

This is the same issue I have in Warframe. A large portion of the bosses have incredibly long invulnerability states, which also then have a damage cap so you can't brute force through to the next phase.

The newest boss is invulnerable until he mind controls a player, which he does at random. I've seen him take up to a minute to get around to doing it, not including if someone slowed him. The rest of the time adds are swarming in and he's shooting you. The previous boss was a floating-mech thing that had a weak spot, but he only periodically let you shoot it - the rest of the time, same deal. Shoots at you and summons more enemies.

Every time they add a new boss to the game, they make it more "complex" by not letting you hurt the drat thing for most of the fight.

Seriously. If you're going to have invulnerable phases in a boss fight, give the player a way to deal with it/deactivate it if its gonna last a while.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I suppose it's more that he needs ten of everything to upgrade the ship and he's got two metal and twenty of everything else and no way to convert so all he can do is hunt down random merchant ships for a couple hours instead of having a cool megaboat that can take on the finest ships in the British navy.

My brother's expressed similar grievances with just wanting a full pirate gently caress-around simulator.

I suppose, but the spyglass does show what the ships are carrying so you can hunt down metal without too much issue.

And seriously, if you want a real pirate gently caress-around simulator you need to buy Pirates! You can even woo governor's daughters!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

From what I remember of the Pirates! LP, it's a hundred times more grindy than Black Flag. Like you have a dozen map pieces, and you have to track down and defeat each map piece owner three times to get it?

I'm not saying I want a pirate simulator, I'm saying I want more Skies of Arcadia in the Caribbean.

kazil posted:

Also, I have a ton of time in Black Flag and never got half those bugs.
I'm keeping a running tab:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/screenshots/

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 09:25 on Dec 7, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Each owner my rear end, it's always that shitbag Raymondo. Gets old fast.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Xander77 posted:

From what I remember of the Pirates! LP, it's a hundred times more grindy than Black Flag. Like you have a dozen map pieces, and you have to track down and defeat each map piece owner three times to get it?

It's not that bad at all. Hell, sometimes, you get lucky and the very first piece you beat out of Raymondo has an immediately-recognizable landmark on it, so you can skip the rest of the map and go right then and save your sister/uncle/whatever.

You always have the option of ignoring the plot entirely and doing your own thing, like rising through the ranks of the most notorious pirates in the Caribbean (by slaughtering the most notorious pirates in the Caribbean!), wooing all the bitches, raiding the poo poo out of ports and installing new governors, searching for lost Aztec cities, or amassing an enormous fleet of fully-upgraded ships and blasting the everliving poo poo out of anybody that so much as looks at you funny.

Or all of those things. The game owns bones. Hell, even the PSP port is drat good, and supports local multiplayer :dance:

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Dec 7, 2014

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Brainbread posted:

This is the same issue I have in Warframe. A large portion of the bosses have incredibly long invulnerability states, which also then have a damage cap so you can't brute force through to the next phase.

The newest boss is invulnerable until he mind controls a player, which he does at random. I've seen him take up to a minute to get around to doing it, not including if someone slowed him. The rest of the time adds are swarming in and he's shooting you. The previous boss was a floating-mech thing that had a weak spot, but he only periodically let you shoot it - the rest of the time, same deal. Shoots at you and summons more enemies.

Every time they add a new boss to the game, they make it more "complex" by not letting you hurt the drat thing for most of the fight.

Seriously. If you're going to have invulnerable phases in a boss fight, give the player a way to deal with it/deactivate it if its gonna last a while.

Of course the problem with them being able to be damaged all the time means you end up with things like Tyl Regor or Phorid, where you can just pick Valkyr, press 4 and then hammer on your E key until they fall over dead because you're invincible.

And honestly the more annoying thing than the bosses themselves is the grind to get at the bosses, for example, to fight the newest Boss, you need to collect a certain amount of things to make a key, however you only get the things from alerts which are only active at certain times for a limited amount of time, then when you make the key, you can kill the boss once for one part of three required to make the new Warframe, which you can get multiples of.

And the same sort of thing with the other boss you mentioned, except this time you can grind any time for the key bits to make a key, but you still only get one fight with the boss and one part needed for the Warframe that you can get multiples of. :v:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Grinding is pretty much what you need to do in Hyrule Warriors if your doing chip-damage (presumably with every attack including combos).
Also the only problem I've ever had with a stamina thing was in Ruto's rank 3 mission - where they throw a gently caress ton of Aerolfos and Poes at you that you honestly can't do anything but chip damage.

Agathia's rank 3 was also like this...until you find out that the main enemies (Dinolfos) are resistant to light but weak to lightning.
The game never told me that elemental weaknesses/resists was a thing.

Zant is pretty much the only character that you actually have to wait a fair bit for him to pop up his stamina bar.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona Q: The general aesthetic of the UI is abstract blue and yellow patterns, which makes it really confusing that the "exit" button for the help tips on the map is actually the corner of the screen that's colored blue instead of yellow and has no indication that it's a button whatsoever.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Some dumb idiot posted:

And the same sort of thing with the other boss you mentioned, except this time you can grind any time for the key bits to make a key, but you still only get one fight with the boss and one part needed for the Warframe that you can get multiples of. :v:

Except with Vay Hek, you're not even guaranteed to get the right Beacon you need for the key if one drops. If one of the mobs that drops it spawns, which they don't do every run. At least with Mutalist Alad V you definitely get the right part of the Key every time the mission comes up.

Now, a boss they did *right* was Lephantus. Where there were multiple parts of it that could be damaged, but only one or two of them were available at any one time.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

why are all of these trash women in yakuza 3 want to be picked up at the mcdonalds? and the first things out of their dumb mouths before i take them to karaoke or something is about thier dog or whatever being addicted to painkiller.s and hanging with gangs. wtf you just asked me to take you out when i entered the mcdonalds jesus fyck.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Why cant I date the transvestite who is from that one series of submissions that chases you down to make out with you.

i know the game says to run but i let him catch me everytime. why wont the game let me date him he doesn't foist his bullshit problems on me.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

i want to help his ailing mother by beating and fracturing the bones of kids in a park with bats and curb stomps and be rewarded w/ him telling me he appreciates it and that he will take care of me and it will fade to pink where he crushes me with his big muscualr thighes.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Sometimes games tell me to press start, but I can press any button to actually start. Doesn't bode well if a game cant even get instructions right.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Persona Q: The general aesthetic of the UI is abstract blue and yellow patterns, which makes it really confusing that the "exit" button for the help tips on the map is actually the corner of the screen that's colored blue instead of yellow and has no indication that it's a button whatsoever.

I almost had to reset my game because of this, because I could not figure out how the hell to get out of the tips. I got lucky randomly pressing poo poo hoping it would magically go away.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

rear end Creed: Black Flag, final thoughts

Retarded mission limitations are nothing new for rear end Creed games, but this is just... Your target is at a party. You don't have to sneak through the party undetected - you can walk right up to him and ensue shanking. But you can't be detected while killing him, even though there's no reason whatever to stay at the party after he's dead - and in fact, right after his death babbling cutscene ends, you get detected anyways.

Having played through the entire game, I must contend the sniper sentries are pure bullshit. rear end Creed mission design simply isn't built around having enemies with huge detection radius. (And you often don't have good tools for neutralizing them, much less neutralizing them from outside detection range)

Berserker darts are pretty neat, but you don't get nearly enough space for them and the guards don't seem nearly as aggressive when under their effect. Also, the berserk damage boost apparently only works against the player?

Unskippable credits. In Revelations, at least, you got dumped right back into the credits if you quit. Made some tea, a salad, an extremely elaborate sandwich, came back - the credits are still playing.

When the credits were finally over, a map popped up with a bunch of locked forts and assassin contracts. I thought "cool, I can do all that stuff with my upgrades". Sadly, apparently that was just... a glitch or something, and you can't respawn all the forts etc? Lame.

The rear end Creed wiki is terrible. (My point of comparison is the Fallout wiki)

Was Marie Reed revealed in the trailers or something? The actress does absolutely nothing to try and disguise her voice. Makes Kenway seem kinda stupid.

Kenway is kinda stupid. I appreciate the change from typical Ubisoft "you're everyone's errand boy", but still.

Having finished the game, I unlocked the UPlay reward for... completing the first memory sequence. The others are locked away. Kinda wanted that Epic Edward outfit.

In retrospect, I really should have stuck to the "1 rear end Creed per year" rule. The game felt a bit tired.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Dec 8, 2014

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Diablo III: The Ultimate Evil Edition on the PS4 - the story is dragging the game down. And I don't that it's dumb, simple and the characters are uninspired - although it is and they are - but it's often apparent that it slows your progression simply because you didn't let the plot move far enough, and so must return and let the story do its thing. Act IV is a good indication of such dragging effects, because suddenly you're almost unconstrained by the plot - other than not being able to destroy some blockades, an ability which you gain for clearing a short dungeon - and it feels far shorter, quicker and ultimately better that the others, which feel really dragged out. And then they try for some pathos with Act IV bosses and it's all hilariously flat.

Thankfully Blizzard learned their lesson from the original console edition and you can just run in an adventure mode after clearing the game once, I didn't realize how tiring running through the story mode would feel.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Xander77 posted:

The rear end Creed wiki is terrible. (My point of comparison is the Fallout wiki)

The Fallout wiki is (mostly) incredible in its spergy minutia of stats and numbers and has completely wrecked my expectations for all other game wikis. Only UESP comes close.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Black Flag has skippable credits.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

effervescible posted:

Black Flag has skippable credits.

We already figured out he's playing some mystic special edition. I bet it was hidden under an arcane button press.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I almost had to reset my game because of this, because I could not figure out how the hell to get out of the tips. I got lucky randomly pressing poo poo hoping it would magically go away.

Oh man, me too. I just ended up tapping all over the screen. The UI is decent in the game, but has weird hiccups like this: the other one I can think of is when you're viewing your characters, you can press <B> to cancel out or <right> to view the Persona. But while you're viewing their Persona, you can't cancel out of the menu, and have to press <left> to go back, then cancel. It's not a big thing obviously, but it's just a little weird to navigate.

I've been playing Red Dead Redemption lately, and while I can see some good production values here, I find myself getting pretty irritated with the game. First, the lack of checkpoints in non-story missions. I had a mission to clear an area by going through a town full of enemies, rescuing a guy, going further into the town to a mine, also full of enemies, and getting to a treasure chest. Then I needed to leave the mine, killing a few more enemies along the way before the mission finished. Die at any time and you have to start from the beginning, and there is no way to skip dialogue in non-story missions. So I listened to these assholes spout the same line maybe a dozen times.

I don't like the controls, either - circle to reload? Square to jump? Why?

And of course there's the big problem where basically the entire game is Marston being strung around by people to do their work, all while the promises of help are being dangled in front of him like a carrot.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Dec 8, 2014

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DA: Inquisition is really half-assed as an open world game.

° Has all the typical hallmarks of a design process made to provide busy work, ie random crafting material dousing the landscape, minor, inconsequential quests that will end up being ignored after a few hours of bothering to finish them, tons of objectives that "encourage" a player to explore the boring environment by basically making him go to places he hasn't been, instead of, I don't know, actually making the world interesting.

° All those ease of use mechanics a lot of open world games have are absent because this shtick is new to Bioware, you can't talk to people while riding a horse, navigating the landscape, especially horseback, is clunky and dull, the controls, perspective, combat, none of it feels suited to the gameplay style. It's like they transposed their typical process onto a project where it doesn't work.

° A ton of typical beginner open world mistakes that make the world feel dull, towns don't react to enemies standing right in the middle of them, NPCs pretty much stand around all day doing nothing, enemies are just out in the wilderness wandering around, doing nothing, despite its size, the game still has "cage" type environment design where you're blocked off by mountains and poo poo in every direction and your navigation of the environment is blocked by massive rock projecting 50 feet into the sky, making the world feel small and cloistered.

There are a bunch of other mistakes too.

° Bioware still doesn't understand pacing or the economy of words, interacting with your party members, an essential part of the game, is again just painful reams of nonstop, boring, badly written dialog, with characters explaining their entire backstories but then yelling the obligatory "I don't want to talk about that yet." when you haven't reached sufficient plot or friend progression. It's artificial and awful.

° The crafting blows and so does another crafting and collection system that has you sticking things in slots or using a massive list of garbage in your inventory to make crap.

° Everything feels clunky and poorly thought out, the combat feels like typical choppy Bioware affair, horses control like rear end, the jump is jarring and poorly animated, the pause system is idiotic and makes you constantly swap between characters and doesn't even allow you to queue up move commands, it doesn't even clip through the environment so you have to go around obstacles, the gently caress is that insane poo poo? Combat is locking on and spamming poo poo for the most part, with a little tactics required for bosses but mostly limited to taunts, buffs, and positioning, and this is on Nightmare difficulty. The potion system was likely cool as an idea but just makes you fast travel every dozen minutes to arbitrarily refill them, thus making another mechanic pointless because there's an easy work around and just making it flat out annoying in dungeons.

The whole game feels poorly made, but it doesn't have the "emergent" gameplay like the TES games and obviously their world design and making the world feel lived in and interesting is anemic compared to TES games, so it's ultimately incredibly dull.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You've convinced me to buy this game asap. Good job.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dragon Age Inquisition has some nice hats, but rather than show your hair under the hat or having one set "hat-hair" model, they put some kind of weird leather head sleeve on the hat that covers everywhere hair would be.

This was a promotional image from like a year back, but the actual hat in the released game puts a leather skull cap in there that wraps around the whole head, leaving room for the ears to poke out. It's just such a lazy way to get around accounting for the different hair styles (all of which are terrible so hiding them really isn't a great sin, I guess).

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I don't like the controls, either - circle to reload? Square to jump? Why?
Because that's how it was in GTA 4. MP3 had reload on O/B but Square/X was the Cover button.
GTA 5 uses the same scheme.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lotish posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition has some nice hats, but rather than show your hair under the hat or having one set "hat-hair" model, they put some kind of weird leather head sleeve on the hat that covers everywhere hair would be.

This was a promotional image from like a year back, but the actual hat in the released game puts a leather skull cap in there that wraps around the whole head, leaving room for the ears to poke out. It's just such a lazy way to get around accounting for the different hair styles (all of which are terrible so hiding them really isn't a great sin, I guess).

It's funny because despite their attempts my Mage's beard, ears, and hair clips through every piece of headwear except for the total coverage ones.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

slingshot effect posted:

The Fallout wiki is (mostly) incredible in its spergy minutia of stats and numbers and has completely wrecked my expectations for all other game wikis. Only UESP comes close.

Seriously the Assassin's Creed wiki sucks, it's either the people who contribute literally have nothing to say, or there's some sperglord editing everything so it's literally a list of the objectives you read in the game. No analysis, no history, nothing. It's total garbage and not useful at all.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

JebanyPedal posted:

DA: Inquisition is really half-assed as an open world game.

° Bioware still doesn't understand pacing or the economy of words, interacting with your party members, an essential part of the game, is again just painful reams of nonstop, boring, badly written dialog, with characters explaining their entire backstories but then yelling the obligatory "I don't want to talk about that yet." when you haven't reached sufficient plot or friend progression. It's artificial and awful

I can't take Bioware seriously after the got into this weird pattern of writing characters (especially the romances) the exact same way, just with different models. In the last game the one love interest basically starts a dialogue after the half assed sex scene about how he remembers something about his sister and basically fucks off for the next time skip. He even pulls the I DON'T UNDERSTAND FEELINGS thing. This only happens with the male gay characters too, they never have the female ones do this weird poo poo. Who wants to watch an awkward sex scene after the one guy cries about his dead husband in mass effect 3?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Stravinsky posted:

why are all of these trash women in yakuza 3 want to be picked up at the mcdonalds? and the first things out of their dumb mouths before i take them to karaoke or something is about thier dog or whatever being addicted to painkiller.s and hanging with gangs. wtf you just asked me to take you out when i entered the mcdonalds jesus fyck.

The actual answer is that Sega stripped out the part of the game about you running a sleazy club where those women are your employees (they're not strippers or prostitutes, but it's splitting hairs since they're women whose job is to hang out with men and tantalize them into spending money with the promise of sex). As part of teaching them to be better not-prostitutes you go on dates with them where you resolve their quest line so that they can manipulate lonely goons men into spending more money on them at the club. The whole thing is creepy and so naturally people threw fits when it was pulled out of the game for the western release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Who wants to watch an awkward sex scene after the one guy cries about his dead husband in mass effect 3?

ME3 REALLY wanted me to give a poo poo about Cortez.