Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

BG ironman is fun.

Gotta do that on the hardest difficulty, too. Only way to play the BG series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

BG ironman is fun.

Is there a ironman thread still?

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Is there a ironman thread still?

I don't believe there is. The last one I saw was abandoned by the author and eventually petered out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Taliesyn posted:

I don't believe there is. The last one I saw was abandoned by the author and eventually petered out.

I loved the hell out of that thread. I have literally never made it past the Nashkel Mines without dying, I am amazed that people can beat 1 and 2 that way.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

bunnielab posted:

I loved the hell out of that thread. I have literally never made it past the Nashkel Mines without dying, I am amazed that people can beat 1 and 2 that way.

BG1 is much harder than BG2 to ironman, IMO. There's much more planning involved to avoid instant death situations. BG2 also adds a lot of protective options. Now ToB I'm on the fence. I guess it depends how hard you manage to minmax BG2 in ironman.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 7, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Tell you what, if there's enough interest, I'll set a new thread up in for the New Year. For those who haven't seen these before, here's the 2011 version and the 2013 version. 2015 seems about right.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'd be all for that. I remember trying an Iron Man on BG2 a couple of years ago. It ended in the sewers under the Temple District when Charname got feared right into the Rakshasa and his buddies.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Just bought the necklace of missiles and about to head into Nashkel mine at level 2. Charname dwarven fighter, Garrick(7hp :I), Safana, Branwen. Planning to pick up Xan and then rush to Faldorn for the full gimpy neutral party.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Skwirl posted:

In addition to what was already said, she can't cast Holy Smite, and if someone else does, she's hurt by it. Also, probably doesn't mean much in BG1, but destroying undead at higher levels is a lot more useful than controlling them.
I found it useful in Durlag's Tower. Branwen with Sanctuary on can simply waltz into that area full of skeleton archers with magic arrows on her own and use Turn Undead to destroy all of them without taking a single hit.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I'm def up for ironman... SCS or no? I'm still in Cloakwood with my full party game. A single hamadryad can really gently caress you up, heh.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Tell you what, if there's enough interest, I'll set a new thread up in for the New Year. For those who haven't seen these before, here's the 2011 version and the 2013 version. 2015 seems about right.

I'd be keen after the new year. I had a character that finished BG1 that I need to pick up again.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm always down for an Ironman thread, it'll be nice with the EE this time. Last time my solo M/T got to near the bottom of Watchers Keep (in BG2), I want a chance to finish it.

e: actually looks like that was 2011, last thread I did a jester run through. That was fun.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 7, 2014

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I'm down for another Ironman thread. I need an excuse to play through the series again.

Dyna Soar posted:

I'm def up for ironman... SCS or no? I'm still in Cloakwood with my full party game. A single hamadryad can really gently caress you up, heh.

I'll be using SCS again, both games are much better with it in my opinion. I got most of the way through Durlag's in my full SCS Ironman solo run, beating Sarevok in the Undercity is definitely doable.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

bunnielab posted:

You basically need to know precisely where every trap is, and you need to use every cheap trick you can find. Abuse the hell out of pause and ranged weapons. You do NOT want to melee with the likes of Sarevok or Yaga-Shura. That's a big reason I took an Inquisitor for my 2013 run-through - that overpowered Dispel of his + Carsomyr.

Note - this applies mostly to an Ironman/Insane run-through like I did in the 2013 thread. You don't need to be quite as cheap when you're not eating double damage.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Taliesyn posted:

You basically need to know precisely where every trap is, and you need to use every cheap trick you can find. Abuse the hell out of pause and ranged weapons. You do NOT want to melee with the likes of Sarevok or Yaga-Shura. That's a big reason I took an Inquisitor for my 2013 run-through - that overpowered Dispel of his + Carsomyr.

Note - this applies mostly to an Ironman/Insane run-through like I did in the 2013 thread. You don't need to be quite as cheap when you're not eating double damage.

Yea, I should know all that stuff by now but I never really applied myself. When these games first came out I had just graduated HS and didn't have the money for gaming and while I had played BG1 for maybe an hour or so at a friend's house, it wasn't until maybe 3-4 years ago when I bought them and fell in love. Sadly I seem to keep dropping runs and restarting, I think I have beaten BG1 maybe twice and never made it more then like 3/4 through SOA.

Question, what is the state of Big World Project? I would love to give it whirl but would like to use the EE games if possible, but dont what to mess up my current installs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Don't loving use big world unless you're a pervert who is also a fan of frequent game crashes.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Big World pluses:

Apparently the version of Ascension it comes with has been somewhat updated for use in a modern install.
The readme is a nice set of compatibility notes for ordering your own mod install.

But, no, don't use it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't think some dirty video game txt is really going to bug me, and besides, I want to see the ridiculousness in person.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
There's a BiG World playthrough still ongoing over in LP (done by Vorgen) and an older one of just the second game in the LParchive documents one of the worst mods for BGII, if you're really curious. I hear the install itself is kind of ridiculous so I wouldn't recommend it. Vorgen might be the guy to ask about it if you're absolutely dead-set on seeing the trainwreck yourself, though--It's so buggy I think he's had to reinstall the thing like three or four times over the course of his LP.

I'd also love to see another ironman thread personally. It's always interesting to see how everyone approaches their game differently. I keep wanting to do another run through at least BGII but can never make up my mind on a PC :( Like I'll go with one class and then feel boxed in by their abilities/left out of another I really wanted to try, then start over with a different class and have the same thing happen again, rinse and repeat. I've thought about just making a custom party to alleviate this but then I'd miss out on the actual NPC quests.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Blood Nightmaster posted:

There's a BiG World playthrough still ongoing over in LP (done by Vorgen) and an older one of just the second game in the LParchive documents one of the worst mods for BGII, if you're really curious. I hear the install itself is kind of ridiculous so I wouldn't recommend it. Vorgen might be the guy to ask about it if you're absolutely dead-set on seeing the trainwreck yourself, though--It's so buggy I think he's had to reinstall the thing like three or four times over the course of his LP.

Vorgen's LP was what put the idea in my head. I think it was linked in this thread last year and I went nuts and read it all in like a month's worth of beadtime reading. It seems like it would be fun to gently caress around with.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Wolfsheim posted:

Coran is a serious boss, but why hasn't anyone mentioned Viconia? She seems like the best cleric in the game, unless I'm missing something.
Personally I'm a big Viccy fan, mainly for her insane magic resist. The lack of strength isn't that big a problem, because you can chuck Gauntlets of Ogre Power or something similar onto her and it's all fine (or even Crom Faeyr later in the game if you don't want it on a fighter). IMO her lack of CON is a bigger drawback.

edit: another vote for an Ironman thread!

Zephro fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 7, 2014

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Zephro posted:

Personally I'm a big Viccy fan, mainly for her insane magic resist. The lack of strength isn't that big a problem, because you can chuck Gauntlets of Ogre Power or something similar onto her and it's all fine (or even Crom Faeyr later in the game if you don't want it on a fighter). IMO her lack of CON is a bigger drawback.

ha, forgot about the magic resistance. def a big plus, yeah. the gauntlets and crom faeyr are pretty far down the line, i was more talking about bg1. i always take viccy along in bg2.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Assuming I want to multiclass a fighter into a cleric in the Baldurs gate saga, what's the ideal level? I recall it being ninth or twelfth but it's been awhile.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Metal Meltdown posted:

Assuming I want to multiclass a fighter into a cleric in the Baldurs gate saga, what's the ideal level? I recall it being ninth or twelfth but it's been awhile.

semantics but you're talking about dual classing, not multiclassing :)

the best levels are 7, 9, 12 and 13. 7 is the starting level for bg2. 9 gives you +3 to hit and damage (+1 to hit and damage at each 3 levels) and -2 bonus to your speed factor (-1 speed factor at each 4 levels). 12 gives you a +4 to hit and damage and a -3 on speed factor. at 13 you get the final attack / round, so a lvl 13 fighter would be the optimal level powerwise.

i always dual at 7 or 9, since the extra levels are overkill. dualed fighter / mage is pretty much the most powerful class in the game.

edit: levels 9 and 12 give you a weapon prof too, i think. so those two would be the best options i guess, the last attack per round is barely noticeable with all your buffs and likely dual wielding.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 7, 2014

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Zephro posted:

There's a CON belt in BG2, I think it lasts 8 hours with 1 use per day? Doesn't help much in BG 1 though.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Dyna Soar posted:

ha, forgot about the magic resistance. def a big plus, yeah. the gauntlets and crom faeyr are pretty far down the line, i was more talking about bg1. i always take viccy along in bg2.
Her magic resist is kind of a pain in the rear end in BG1 because it applies to friendly magic too. They changed that in BG2 so you can actually buff her and stuff. Maybe they changed it in BG1:EE as well, I don't know.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Zephro posted:

Her magic resist is kind of a pain in the rear end in BG1 because it applies to friendly magic too. They changed that in BG2 so you can actually buff her and stuff. Maybe they changed it in BG1:EE as well, I don't know.

most likely they did, since it's basically a rebuilt bg2 engine for both.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Metal Meltdown posted:

Ninth is probably better unless you want to spend a much, much longer time as just a cleric. It's 700,000 total xp in the first case until you get your fighter levels back versus 2,125,000 in the latter. The original xp cap in BG2 was just under 3 million and you would have a hard time hitting that in the main game unless you did almost every sidequest.

Waiting until 12th will get you an extra half attack that you won't be able to use until the very end of SoA. I can't remember if dual class characters get the HLA's of both classes or if they're limited to just their second class. If they get both, it's definitely not worth it, because of Greater Whirlwind.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
have you though of a ranger / cleric? a bit less fighting power for a lot more spell power, since ranger / clerics get full druid spell progression due to an oversight.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Zephro posted:

They did change MR to ignore friendly spells in BG:EE. There's a drow sorcerer later on in BG:EE that I am going to pick up that also has 50% magic resistance.

Started an evil playthrough, doing an evil Fighter->Mage along with Dorn, Viconia, Montaron, Imoen->Baeloth and Edwin.

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 7, 2014

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

have you though of a ranger / cleric? a bit less fighting power for a lot more spell power, since ranger / clerics get full druid spell progression due to an oversight.

Did they never fix this for EE? I'd be playing the whole saga on my iPad and playing through Icewind dale with a pure cleric has reminded me how awful their thaco/attacks per round are.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Skwirl posted:

Ninth is probably better unless you want to spend a much, much longer time as just a cleric. It's 700,000 total xp in the first case until you get your fighter levels back versus 2,125,000 in the latter. The original xp cap in BG2 was just under 3 million and you would have a hard time hitting that in the main game unless you did almost every sidequest.

Waiting until 12th will get you an extra half attack that you won't be able to use until the very end of SoA. I can't remember if dual class characters get the HLA's of both classes or if they're limited to just their second class. If they get both, it's definitely not worth it, because of Greater Whirlwind.

Oh please. To be a 12F/13C you only need 2.5 million XP, and seeing how you can get the 8 mln before brynnlaw this should be more than possible early on

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Oh please. To be a 12F/13C you only need 2.5 million XP, and seeing how you can get the 8 mln before brynnlaw this should be more than possible early on

I suppose that's theoretically possible, but you need to do every single loving sidequest, and it get's to be a bother. The earliest I hit HLA's (which is just a little bit after you'd get your fighter levels back), assuming a full party, is most of the way through Underdark. And with all the buffs you get from being a cleric, the advantage of that extra half attack is negligible. It's 3 times as much xp to do 12f/13c as 9f/10c, so that's a huge chunk of time you're just a cleric with unusually large HP when I assume the reason you're doing this particular dual class is you want to be both a fighter and a cleric.

Dualing at 9 also give you access to 7th level spells much, much earlier. which is nothing to sneeze at. 2.5 million xp means you're a 9f/16c.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
in my opinion that poo poo is just way too gamey to be worth it. dual classed fighter / anything is really powerful if you dual at lvl 9, and powerful enough if you dual at 7. there's really no need to min / max your character to that extent.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Skwirl posted:

You only get the second class's HLAs. Fighter/X duals do have the advantage of being able to spend the weapon proficiency points of their second class to get grandmastery; I did that with Anomen.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Did they make it so elves in IWD1 can have Raise Dead cast on them too, then? Before you could only bring them back with Resurrection.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So do all the companions just stand around wherever you swapped them out? I don't really feel like hiking back to the bottom of Nashkul Mines to get Xan and then leave Xzar and Montaron sitting there if I want them back. But if that's what must be done...

Edit: can I just cheat and move npc locations in Shadowkeeper?

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 8, 2014

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So do all the companions just stand around wherever you swapped them out? I don't really feel like hiking back to the bottom of Nashkul Mines to get Xan and then leave Xzar and Montaron sitting there if I want them back. But if that's what must be done...

Edit: can I just cheat and move npc locations in Shadowkeeper?

Dorn and Neera will return to the Friendly Arm, Rasaad to outside of the Nashkel Inn. Everyone else stays where you left them as long as their quests are complete.

VV Yeah, it IS dependent on reputation. Like if you're too evil, some good characters will disappear entirely or refuse to join you again. And vice versa.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 8, 2014

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Flip Yr Wig posted:

They either sit there or leave forever, if I'm remembering right. I think non-good characters will only leave forever if your reputation is too high; I usually dump Xzar and Montaron at Nashkel's inn ~just in case~ but I remember one playthrough I dicked around doing a lot of sidequests first and then they basically threatened to murder me for being too nice a guy and stormed out. Same with Safana, oddly enough.

I've also had Jaheira/Khalid both stay put or return to the Friendly Arm Inn, but that may have been something BGT added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
god drat, the fight with davaeorn in scs is cheesy as hell. i could not beat him fairly. i tried every cheesy tactic i know, but i could not beat his never ending army of recruitments and dimension door + seemingly never ending arsenal of fireballs and lightning bolts. i silenced him before he could get his protections on and beat that mute gently caress to a pulp.

has anyone actually beat that fight fairly, without the use of protection of magic scrolls?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 8, 2014