Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot
Actually, is there a way to beat a player who starts
o==
==o
Where o are empty spaces?

I think the starting player can always respond to any move by making sure the board always has two "triangles" open like after the first move.

For example, in the simplest example, it goes :
1:
o==
==o
2:
o==\
==oo
3:
o==\
===/
4:
===\
===/
5:
/===\
\===/
Win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Running With Spoons posted:

o==
==o

I think the starting player can always respond to any move by making sure the board always has two "triangles" open like after the first move.

1:
o==
==o
2:
o==\
==oo
3:
o==\
===/
4:
===\
===/
5:
/===\
\===/
Win!

Second player could just play:
4:
====\
o===/

e: And then both players would alternate placing two horizontally on alternating rows, eventually becoming impossible for one player or the other, depending on the number of tiles.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Enkor posted:

There's no reason to think that second player has an advantage. It's like you started with an empty board, and then went first by playing the 2 tracks.

You can force a win as the two player if you disregard possibilites like "2 open slots that have to be filled to complete the track" and "impossible to complete". In this case the second player just has to make sure that the total number of tiles played after both turns is 4, which leads to the first player having to put down atleast one tile with 4 tiles remaining, which leads to a player 2 win.

I think it's possible that player 1 can use the face that he knows how many tiles player 2 has to play to stay in the "winning" position to create a situation in which player 2 either has to play a different ammount of tiles, in which case player one is in the "default winning position" or loses by "impossible"/"2 open slots that have to be filled".

I'm not sure if there is a surefire attack for player one, but this game should be solvable for either player 1 or 2 because there is no possibility of a draw.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 8, 2014

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Roflex posted:

4:
====\
o===/

e: And then both players would alternate placing two horizontally on alternating rows, eventually becoming impossible for one player or the other, depending on the number of tiles.

Nah, the winning play is actually:

4:
/o==\
\===/

e: whoops that's losing I probably shouldn't get the rules exactly wrong

I think as the starting player I'd want to do something like

=
=
==

for the first move

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

o==
==o

1:
o==
==o
2:
o==\
==oo
3:
o==\
===/
4:
===\
===/
5:
/===\
\===/
Win!
You're allowed to put down three tiles in a turn, so play 4 would be

/===\
\===/

Win

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Nooooooooooo! I didn't want it to go down this way!

Edit: AHHH I spoke too soon! YES! :supaburn: DONGMIN PULLS VICTORY FROM THE JAWS OF DEFEAT!!!!!:supaburn:

This has to be the best episode of the season. Awesome twist at the end and Jinho being Jinho and dominating the main match . I hope the last two episodes are just as good as this one!

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 8, 2014

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Chainsawdomy posted:

You're allowed to put down three tiles in a turn, so play 4 would be

/===\
\===/

Win

The 3 tiles you put down have to be in a straight line.
But anyway, my solution doesn't work.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Istvun posted:

I think as the starting player I'd want to do something like

=
=
==

for the first move

This seems to be a win forcing move by player 1, because he dictates nearly the complete shape of the track (either 16 or 18 tiles including the train station) while at the same time reducing the freedom of player 2 to place as many segments as he wishes considerably.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Roflex posted:

4:
====\
o===/

Yes, that situation forces a victory for player A. There are 18 tiles in the show's version of the game, 2 of which are the initial tracks.

From the original opener by Player A, Player B can force a victory like so:

code:
1: (A moves)
==o
o==
2: (B moves)
====
o==o

n-4: (B maxes out track length, A to move)
o========oo
oo========o
It's about the number of degrees of freedom (the choice of putting down 1-3 tiles). Player A is forced to leave Player B with the last degree of freedom, with which she can dictate whether the number of turns remaining is odd or even, and therefore the victor.

So if the two players extend the track in this way until the tiles run out, Player B is guaranteed to win. (When both players play perfectly, the victor is made certain when the minimum length and shape of the complete track reaches its 18-tile maximum). I don't know what the optimal opening moves for each player are. But by using some pen and paper, and playing with a friend, I think it's likely that the "guaranteed victor" can change depending on the arbitrary opening moves 1-4.

Anyway, linearly extending the track like in my example is against A's interest. So what should A do? Change the shape of the track, of course. But this introduces uncertainty again and is a pain to analyse. So let's consider only the cases in which the final shape of the track is fixed. This is possible like so:

code:
3: (A moves)
====o
o==\o
ooo/o

n:
/====\
\===\|
ooo//|
ooo\=/
And it's also possible in the opening move:

code:
1:
o===oo
ooo=oo
ooo/oo
oooooo

n:

/====\
\===\|
ooo//|
ooo\=/
So who wins? I don't know. If I had more free time I'd figure it out. But the last example seems to me the most important; if player A can't guarantee their victory with the very first turn, then, assuming perfect play, player B must be the guaranteed winner. I'm sure other "victory-determining" opening moves exist, too, which might have different outcomes.

The difficulty with these scenarios is that you're playing for both players.

Fall fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 8, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

A vertical straight line is still a straight line. It doesn't have to be horizontal.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
It's been said before, but Yeonjoo's loss was heartbreaking. I wanted her to win just to punish these guys who keep picking the women for what they think is an easy win. Yoohyun got punished for it last week, would have been great to see Dong get the same treatment. Also just to break the Min alliance, it's getting a bit played out. Would have liked to see Dr and Yeonjoo team up against Hyunmin in the next episode. I think he knew that was about to happen when Dong was about to lose, his celebration when Dong pulled it out of the bag was a bit too obvious.

The genius has gotten a whole lot less cute :(

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Her line about how she always expects to get picked was kind of sad. :(

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

But wasn't she really picked because of the deal Yeonsung had made the previous episode?

I mean, after her dominant performance last ep in the laser maze game, I don't think she was any less intimidating than Yeonsung.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I felt so bad for her. If she were a man there's no way she'd have lost. She just seems so unsure of herself, which was her main downfall. You could even see she figured it all out! She just didn't trust herself enough to call him out.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, she and Ahyoung had the lack of self confidence in common actually. The difference between them was that Yeonjoo keeps her head under pressure. (and she never whined about getting the token because "how can I win the deathmatch!!!") It's unfortunate that just when she starts to understand her fatal flaw, she gets eliminated. But there really wasn't any other way.

I hope they invite Yeonjoo back next season.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they should invite cool and confident song ji-hyo next season

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Davincie posted:

That guy was pretty smart, I reckon he could go all the way!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Hell, they should invite me, the titty god

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

redreader posted:

I felt so bad for her. If she were a man there's no way she'd have lost.

Uh what?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

South Korea is pretty culturally sexist to the point where women believe in their own inferiority compared to men, so they rarely challenge the men like the men challenge each other.

I'm glad she learned to be more confident in herself, I just wish she'd realised it a little bit sooner. Heartbreaking to watch.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Xachariah posted:

South Korea is pretty culturally sexist to the point where women believe in their own inferiority compared to men, so they rarely challenge the men like the men challenge each other.

I'm glad she learned to be more confident in herself, I just wish she'd realised it a little bit sooner. Heartbreaking to watch.

Kyungrun would have kicked the poo poo out of the season 3 cast.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Davincie posted:

....this is far from this worst idea. She's snarky and clever.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah, I miss Kyungrun, she owned, season 1 owned.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Give me Park Jiyoon from Crime Scene, damnit!

But anyway, my solution doesn't work.

Thanks, I actually missed this. I interpreted "in a line" as just "contiguous".

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Chainsawdomy posted:

Give me Park Jiyoon from Crime Scene, damnit!

she'll beat every game with a venn diagram

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Symbolic Butt posted:

Hahaha.

Yeah, she would probably do really well. Could be the best female competitor since Kyungran.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

Until they count for actual money and then she'll dramatically whiff the final shot.

Edit: we would have a pretty sweet all star season if they just picked the top 4 people of each season. You'd exclude Sangmin once but you'd get Jinho, Sangmin, Kyungrun, Sungyuu, Yohwan, Mr. Magoo, girl Mr. Magoo beat, Hongchul?, Dongmin, Sujin, Mentality King, and Jinho Lite. They could throw in dealer nuna as the 13th person.

Soylentbits fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 9, 2014

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I'd kind of like to see Jimmy Cha back.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Let's be real, we all just want the entire season 1 cast back

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Nah there are a lot of other people I'd like to see.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

We can't start doing all-star seasons until we get at least one Running Man cast member drat it. What's Joong-Ki doing these days?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I can imagine both Yoo Jae Suk and Kim Jong Kook being amazing at this game. Jae Suk is obviously a smart fucker and Jong Kook's ability to figure out the producer's plans before they get to blossom borders on annoying.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

comedy kwang soo and big nose options, both get eleminated in the first two tounds

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Getting some people from Abnormal Summit would be fun. Tyler Rasch has a 'genius' type image so get him or Enes for maximum hilarity.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Maduo posted:

What's Joong-Ki doing these days?

I think he might actually have a reputable career.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Zythrst posted:

Getting some people from Abnormal Summit would be fun. Tyler Rasch has a 'genius' type image so get him or Enes for maximum hilarity.

Enes you can forget. He is involved in a adultery scandal at the moment.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Season 4 better have a member of Super Junior in it :colbert:
I'm not picky as long as it's one of the clever ones (remember their guest episode?)

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Well I won't be happy if it's not Kim Heechul. Dude's hilarious and obviously hella smart.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

sharktamer posted:

Well I won't be happy if it's not Kim Heechul. Dude's hilarious and obviously hella smart.

He's good friends with Jinho too. I'm still not picky though because they have at least 5 other members that are just as clever and funny.
You can't beat SuJu when it comes to variety :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Nexal posted:

Enes you can forget. He is involved in a adultery scandal at the moment.

Pffffft :haw:

Of course it would be the conservative blowhard involved in an adultery scandal. Of course.