Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fremry posted:

While we're on the subject of VC and Wii U, where the gently caress are my N64 games?!?!?

Never mind that, where the gently caress is Donkey Kong Country, NOA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Handsome Ralph posted:

Never mind that, where the gently caress is Donkey Kong Country, NOA?

Well considering we just got Fire Emblem and that was released four months or so ago in Europe, I imagine Q2 2015 because of Nintendo's schedule on this stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Curve Digital just announced a couple more indie ports to Nintendo systems: Titan Attacks is coming to 3DS, and Ultratron is coming to Wii U, both in early 2015.

Renegade Kid has announced a NA release date for their new metroidvania, Xeodrifter: it'll be out next week December 11) for $9.99. Seems a bit rich to set the price higher than Mutant Mudds for a game they said would be comparable to Ikachan in size, but maybe that's changed, I dunno.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

The 3DS can't handle SNES/GBA properly. Keyword being "properly" since it can do so to some extent and people love to bring that up and go on a huge derail why the 3DS doesn't have SNES/GBA VC titles, etc, etc. The Nu3DS model may change this, but it's too soon to tell.
Nintendo should just forget about SNES and GBA VC on 3DS and just get M2 to work their magic and make 3D enhanced ports of select games

All Frogs posted:

Wario Land Shake It was pretty fun. Haven't played too much of 4 yet to make a solid comparison myself but 4 does remind me of it. I'd recommend Shake It regardless though.
I think I liked Shake It more than NSMBW, WL4 is great too and the graphical filter actually kinda works with the art style. I know everyone was talking about how great WL4 is a few pages back, so if there's anyone who still doesn't have it on their WiiU I don't even know what to say

Out of all those indies I can say I'm definitely on board for Xeodrifter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBgdGZqRW3o

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

.TakaM posted:

Out of all those indies I can say I'm definitely on board for Xeodrifter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBgdGZqRW3o

This comes out Dec 11th for $9.99. Looks like a solid metroidvania.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is it likely they'll do a WiiU port of Xeodrifter like they did with Mutant Mudds? I think I'd go for that.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Disargeria posted:

Thank you for telling me what features I want, forums user Artix and Nintendo.

I have no idea how I would manage to play WarioWare without save states!

Artix posted:

Nope, it treats them like DS games/DSiWare in that pressing the Home button will ask you if you want to close the game, and that's it.

poo poo, you mean all my DS games are broken, too? I had no idea I owned so many lovely games that weren't worth any money!

Sarcasm aside, the brightness and motion blur sound like issues I'd care about. No savestates and no sleep mode? It's not a big deal. It's the Smallest Deal, really.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Seems a bit rich to set the price higher than Mutant Mudds for a game they said would be comparable to Ikachan in size, but maybe that's changed, I dunno.
Depends on how much he supports it after release I guess. Original Mutant Mudds was a pretty short game for it's price, but has gotten two substantial updates since then that were free if I remember correctly.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Curve Digital just announced a couple more indie ports to Nintendo systems: Titan Attacks is coming to 3DS, and Ultratron is coming to Wii U, both in early 2015.
I don't know about Ultratron but Titan Attacks is super terrible.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Surlaw posted:

Decent look good soundtrack. And utterly shite game balance and no fun at all. Maybe this time?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

John Lee posted:

poo poo, you mean all my DS games are broken, too? I had no idea I owned so many lovely games that weren't worth any money!

Sarcasm aside, the brightness and motion blur sound like issues I'd care about. No savestates and no sleep mode? It's not a big deal. It's the Smallest Deal, really.

Any perceived brightness issues would be because the games were designed for screens with no back lighting so they bumped up the gamma originally. Motion blur is not a technical issue that would not happen so you should probably ignore that claim. The emulation is Nintendo's usual high standard despite what others may say.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Surlaw posted:

Ultratron is a Robotron clone by the same dev so... hmm.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RVWinkle posted:

The emulation is Nintendo's usual high standard despite what others may say.

No it's not. It's not running an emulator, it's running off legacy hardware left in the design and literally would not even be possible if the 14 year old GBA hardware did not physically exist in the 3DS. Nintendo's emulation standards include the VC stuff whereas this does not include that stuff.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

nolen posted:

I know this is a couple days old but without going into specifics, I can tell you this is not the case at all anymore. It's very iOS AppStore these days.

For the 3DS too, or just the WiiU?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Getting stuff onto either platform isn't too difficult these days but it's a lot easier and faster on Wii U because Nintendo has a very competitive Unity deal and supports stuff like HTML5. Most of the terrible Meme Run-tier garbage that's on Wii U is stuff that people crank out in Construct 2 in a few weeks.

That being said, there really isn't a lot of lazy shovelware, all things considered, and that's kinda what I was getting at earlier - it's really easy to release on Wii U but the eShop still doesn't get a lot of anything, not even shovelware. Things have definitely been picking up recently but I still think it could be doing better.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I wonder why Nintendo made those policy changes. If they were after the announcement of the Xbox One, they could have been an attempt to leave Microsoft behind in the dust - instead of one of the Big Three being easier (Sony) to deal with than the other two, one (Microsoft) is now harder to deal with than the other two. Although it should be noted that Microsoft has dropped its infamous patch certification fees and now has a self-publishing program (but not for 360, which pissed off Zen Studios).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They made most of these changes a while back, some at launch and some a little while in, but it took them ages to advertise any of these changes and they're just bad at talking publicly on these topics outside of trade shows and other semi-private events. People who've spoken to them directly seem to be clued in but it's taken a while for the info to reach the online gossip boards; I don't think Nintendo understands just how interested laypeople are in topics like this, maybe they just think it's gauche to talk about these things during interviews or something.

The other big problem they had is that they suck at social media and are afraid to let their people talk to anyone outside of PR-controlled environments. There was a little drama earlier in the year when it came out that their (now ex) head indie guy was made to remove himself from twitter after responding to some tweet in a manner that could be inferred as criticising region-locked hardware. People didn't even know Nintendo had an "indie guy" but they sure as hell didn't like that he was being gagged.

All these policies were made completely independently of what Microsoft was or wasn't saying or doing; they made themselves look bad on their own.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

The other big problem they had is that they suck at social media and are afraid to let their people talk to anyone outside of PR-controlled environments. There was a little drama earlier in the year when it came out that their (now ex) head indie guy was made to remove himself from twitter after responding to some tweet in a manner that could be inferred as criticising region-locked hardware. People didn't even know Nintendo had an "indie guy" but they sure as hell didn't like that he was being gagged.

Was this before or after Iwata said Nintendo should consider ending region locking?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Before, but it wasn't specifically his barely-a-comment on region locking that set them off, it was their complete paranoia about anyone going "off-script" or saying anything that might create a perception of disunity, a perception that didn't exist until it got out that they were gagging their own spokespeople.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of December 11):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Rise of the Guardians - €19.99 / £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Ben 10 Omniverse 2 - £19.99 (permanent price reduction)
WII U eSHOP
    Tested With Robots! - €10.00 / £9.00
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Zen Pinball 2 Additional Tables (includes free demos)
  • South Park Pinball - €4.99 / £3.99
  • Core Collection - €9.99 / £7.99
  • Venom Table - €2.99 / £2.39
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.79
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own Shovel Knight on 3DS, get the Wii U version for 33% off! - runs until January 1
    BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.33 until December 11
    Epic Mickey 2 (Wii U) - €17.99 / £14.99 until December 11
    Ducktales Remastered (Wii U) - €7.49 / £5.99 until December 11
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - €14.99 / £11.99 from December 11-18
    99seconds (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until December 25
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until December 25
    Fit Music for Wii U (Wii U) - €14.90 / £12.40 until January 30
    Luv Me Buddies Wonderland (Wii U) - €14.90 / £12.40 until January 30

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Ben 10 Omniverse - £14.99 (permanent price reduction)
    Hello Kitty: Happy Happy Family - €34.99 / £29.99
    My Life on a Farm - €29.99 / £24.99
    I Love My Little Boy - €29.99 / £24.99
    I Love My Little Girl - €29.99 / £24.99
    Hello Kitty: Happy Happy Family (demo)
    I Love My Little Boy (demo)
    I Love My Little Girl (demo)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - €29.99 / £24.99
    Rune Factory 4 - €29.99 / £24.99
    Fairune - €2.99 / £2.39
    Pyramids 2 - €4.99 / £3.96
    Battleminer - €7.99 / £5.99
    My First Songs 2 - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Persona Q DLC
  • Navigation: Theodore - €2.99 / £2.69
  • Navigation: Elizabeth - €2.99 / £2.69
  • Navigation: Margaret - €2.99 / £2.69
3DS MENU THEMES
    Animal Crossing New Leaf: KK Slider at Club LOL - €1.99 / £1.79
    Mario Characters (green camo) - €1.99 / £1.79
    Mario Characters (blue camo) - €1.99 / £1.79
    Polka Dots (yellow/white) - €0.99 / £0.89
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own Shovel Knight on Wii U, get the 3DS version for 33% off! - runs until January 1
    AiRace Xeno (3DS eShop) - €1.69 / £1.59 until December 11
    Farming Simulator 2014 (3DS eShop) - €19.99 / £12.99 until December 11
    The Keep (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.49 until December 11
    Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.89 until December 11
    Crash City Mayhem (3DS) - €7.99 / £6.99 until December 18
    Resident Evil Revelations (3DS) - €9.99 / £8.49 from December 11-18
    Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D (3DS) - €3.99 / £3.59 from December 11-18
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) - €11.99 / £9.99 until December 18
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS) - €19.99 / £17.99 from December 11-25
    AeternoBlade (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.40 from December 11-January 1
    [uWitch & Hero[/u] (3DS eShop) - €1.99/£1.79 from December 11-January 1
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 from December 11-January 8

(not listed: a ton of shovelware sales I couldn't be arsed to mention)

Ace Attorney Trilogy is based on the iOS versions but allegedly fixes most of the complaints people have with those ports - they restored a lot of animations frames, re-edited the script, remastered sound, etc.

Rune Factory 4 is pretty much identical to the US version, as far as I know, but I don't think anyone's really bothered either way, are they? It's finally here.

Fairune is a mini action-rpg in the vein of Ys or Hydlide, from the looks of things. It looks like it's by the same team that did Witch & Hero, if anyone remembers that game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gently caress, Pokemon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire and Rune Factory 4 the same drat week.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Looking forward to RF4. What time does the eshop normally update?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Ace Attorney Trilogy is based on the iOS versions but allegedly fixes most of the complaints people have with those ports - they restored a lot of animations frames, re-edited the script, remastered sound, etc.

It's still english-only, right?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Petiso posted:

It's still english-only, right?

No, it includes the Japanese script. Probably not what you're looking for, but hey!

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Does anyone know how Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire compares to the original Pokemon Pinball on Gameboy? I loving loved that game but I never played the GBA one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a new 3DS firmware update, here's the US changelog:

quote:

Version 9.3.0-21U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

Changes to the HOME Menu:
A Shuffle Favorites feature has been added under Change Theme in HOME Menu Settings. Users can choose multiple themes and have their theme change when the system is left in Sleep Mode from the HOME Menu or turned on after being off
Available software updates can now be downloaded from the HOME Menu
Users can now capture screenshots with both the upper and lower screens included

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

There are also some unlisted updates for New 3DS: an Amiibo options screen on the home menu, as well as the option to make purchases with your SUICA card.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

There's a new 3DS firmware update, here's the US changelog:

There are also some unlisted updates for New 3DS: an Amiibo options screen on the home menu, as well as the option to make purchases with your SUICA card.

Shuffle Menu option is sooooooo gooooood, can not wait for that poo poo. :cool:

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I'm laughing about them enabling SUICA purchasing.
SUICA's a prepaid debit card, but it's primarily used as a rail pass (though it can be used at convenience stores and some vending machines).
Lots of kids are given SUICA cards for riding trains, so I imagine they can go hogwild in the e-shop.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh gently caress shuffling menus makes me want to buy more menu themes :supaburn:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kaubocks posted:

oh gently caress shuffling menus makes me want to buy more menu themes :supaburn:

:wario:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I'm laughing about them enabling SUICA purchasing.
SUICA's a prepaid debit card, but it's primarily used as a rail pass (though it can be used at convenience stores and some vending machines).
Lots of kids are given SUICA cards for riding trains, so I imagine they can go hogwild in the e-shop.

Is Suica NFC? If so I wonder if they'd think of adding NFC payment options like Google wallet or apple pay in the west.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Does Nintendo eShop stuff ever go on sale? I want to buy the FE DLC and the Phoenix Wright game and I don't know if I should just do it or wait a bit.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

greatn posted:

Is Suica NFC? If so I wonder if they'd think of adding NFC payment options like Google wallet or apple pay in the west.

Yeah, it is.

This should make "accidental" SUICA e-shopping even more tempting.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, SUICA is NFC. Wii U has supported SUICA for a few months now.

Nintendo seems tight with Google right now, and they've been talking a big game about broadening the ways people can access their games, so Google Wallet support seems plausible.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

quote:

Available software updates can now be downloaded from the HOME Menu

This should've been day one poo poo, but better late than never.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

radlum posted:

Does Nintendo eShop stuff ever go on sale? I want to buy the FE DLC and the Phoenix Wright game and I don't know if I should just do it or wait a bit.

Base games do go on sale, but I don't think I have ever seen DLC on sale before. Been holding on Fire Emblem stuff and the PW:DD special episode for a while just in case it would, but so far, nope. Don't think that will change.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Doug Dinsdale posted:

This should make "accidental" SUICA e-shopping even more tempting.

That may not go well for Nintendo in the long term when parents start getting mad at their kids' game boys eating a bunch of money.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kaubocks posted:

I didn't need much more incentive, real hosed up Nintendo.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

That may not go well for Nintendo in the long term when parents start getting mad at their kids' game boys eating a bunch of money.

I've never looked at the Parental Controls, is there a way to lock purchases from the eShop to require the PIN? That seems like an easy solution.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Saoshyant posted:

Base games do go on sale, but I don't think I have ever seen DLC on sale before. Been holding on Fire Emblem stuff and the PW:DD special episode for a while just in case it would, but so far, nope. Don't think that will change.

You can turn parental controls on so they can only input codes on the eShop or download updates. My sister did this to my nephew's 3DS because he once spent $230 on iPad games in one night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, seems like they actually thought about it. I do hope they add NFC payment support in the West, too.