Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TommyGun85 posted:

for the love of god, make multiple saves. without spoiling anything, there are two fights that can force you to restart your entire game from the beginning if you save between them without tge proper preparations.

I've heard this a lot so I'm prepared to do so. I just want to know how long it takes before I can assign people jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Yes. All the talk of FFT being a very easy breakable game comes from people who have already beaten it and probably replayed it at least a couple times. It is a very breakable game. However, the first time you play it, you may find yourself pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised it is actually pretty damned hard without knowing the job system very well.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I've heard this a lot so I'm prepared to do so. I just want to know how long it takes before I can assign people jobs.

Pretty quickly. After the prologue, once you get your job levels up on a character up, you can just change their job to the new unlocked ones. It's not too tough to do it either.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

It's bizarre that enemies take three turns to become a piece of armor or a floating crystal. Very weird mechanic

I think the idea is that people don't die immediately, you bleed out for a bit and THEN you die. But I'll agree its a little strange. Also, don't feel bad about losing in the first few fights, those are among some of the most difficult you will encounter, thanks to the paucity of options you have at your disposal currently.

The difficulty curve in FFT is really weird, It starts High, then Drops down pretty continuously, with little spikes until the end of chapter 2. Then through chapter 3, if you don't know how to break the game yet, it trends way upward again until it peaks at Riovanes Castle (make an additional save before entering this location). Then it drops down until you recruit one particular unit, at which point, outside of 1 or 2 final battles and the bonus dungeon, the game is easy as pie.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

It's bizarre that enemies take three turns to become a piece of armor or a floating crystal. Very weird mechanic

Learn to love those crystals. If you choose to learn abilities from them instead of getting HP/MP, you learn all of the listed abilities. You can easily get 1000+ JP worth of skills from killing a single unit. Eat all the souls!

But yeah, make sure you bring a full team into the first fight. Try to focus fire on one or two units at a time. Learn Potion and Phoenix Down on everyone you can, and put Item on almost everyone for the first several fights. You can usually heal/revive ("sandbag") until you wear the enemies down.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Positioning is also key. It's a strategy game so you'll find yourself having an easier time if you focus on things like flanking, taking high ground, blocking enemies from being able to attack your casters, and forcing enemies through choke points when available. Since you don't have a lot of the tricks available early on, your success is almost purely based on your ability to pull this kind of stuff off.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 8, 2014

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
In the early FFT storyline battles, use Delita/Algus as decoys. If they get KOed, there's no real penalty. Let them charge off into the middle of a group of enemies and then pick off the poor saps that didn't take the bait.

Protip: The best strategy is to play like a goon. Choosing to NOT save Algus in that second battle gets the entire party a large Bravery bonus, which helps you become badass. And allows you to use him as a decoy without getting a game over if he dies. Don't be a pussy... war is hell. :getin:

Varance fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 8, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alakaiser posted:

I want to live in the world where SaGa fans are allowed to have nice things.

Also, regarding Blue's story...was the ending really supposed to just be that? I don't think I ever got more confused as a kid than when that happened. Knowing how much poo poo was cut from the game, I can't help but wonder if that was on the list too.

Apparently Blue's ending is intended and it's supposed to suddenly end because after you go in to hell(?) to fight the final boss you get sealed in by the Kingdom who basically raised you as a weapon to sacrifice to save everyone else. It's really dumb.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So as someone who likes all the final fantasies but has never played a Suikoden game, am I going to want to get Suikoden 1 and 2 when they come out on Vita in 2015 as revealed at the PSE today?

Play through 1, import save data in to 2. It affects a few things in the game there. Namely [/spoiler]certain characters carry over some equipment (give Humphrey Windsun Armor in S1 because he can't change body armor in 2(and windspun rules and it makes his recruitment much easier)) and it'll let you use Tir plus another (useless) character depending on if you had all 108 stars or not. The other character's irrelevant because Tir's broken as poo poo in Suikoden 1 and 2.[/spoiler]

Maybe if these sell like crazy Konami will consider making Suikoden 6 but considering the last two games they made using the Suikoden name, hopefully they won't. :sigh:

Schwartzcough posted:

So are their stories direct sequels? Should I play Suikoden 1 before playing 2?

Yes they are. The chronology of the games is 4-tactics-5-1-2-3. 4 is long before the others. 5 is only a few years before 1, and 2 is only a few years after 1.

1 is alright but didn't age greatly. 2 is a pretty amazing RPG. 3 is alright but I'm not a fan of the combat system they used or how much back and forth running you have. 4 is a goddamn trainwreck, and 5 is like a PS2 take on 1&2 and I'd put it as the 2nd best in the series.

Captain Vittles posted:

Blue's story was just as slapdash as Lute's, problem is its gimmick stretched for more than 5 minutes thanks to the longer magic quests so it gave a veneer of completion (until the ending left you literally hanging). Sure, Blue is the only one who technically must get magic, but odds are players get at least a couple of magic types when playing as every other character too. I don't remember if his quest had things cut (was Furdo's Workshop meant for Blue or Asellus?) but his quest was obviously never given much effort in the first place.

I'm blanking on Furdo's but probably Asellus since I think he's tied in to the mystics? The biolab had some tie to Fuse and IIRC if you take him there when you clear it out he has some lines with the monster (cotton?) you recruit. Blue's story was kinda dumb, though I think Asellus might've had the most work put in to hers considering she had multiple endings you could get.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Protip for FFT: get a mediator and breed cool monster bros to be your pal. if you get chocobos you can ride around on them!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Suikoden Tactics is really good, by the way. It's a shame that it's tied to the rpg with the worst world map of all time, Suikoden "let's ride a loving boat" 4

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Evil Fluffy posted:

Apparently Blue's ending is intended and it's supposed to suddenly end because after you go in to hell(?) to fight the final boss you get sealed in by the Kingdom who basically raised you as a weapon to sacrifice to save everyone else. It's really dumb.

Jesus, no kidding. I don't think I'll ever play a game that's quite as all over the loving place as SaGa Frontier for the rest of my life.

Also, a newbie FFT tip: Archer sucks.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Alakaiser posted:

Jesus, no kidding. I don't think I'll ever play a game that's quite as all over the loving place as SaGa Frontier for the rest of my life.

Yes, make sure to pick up concentrate before moving onto a better class though, it's a pretty good skill before you get your hands on Attack Up or Dual Wield from other classes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

When that guy you've spent 6 hours grinding up to the ultimate samuari-geomancer-calculator-monk-lancer-ninja combo dies right as you're getting close to finishing off one of the hardest levels in the game, you'll thank your lucky loving stars you get 3 turns to bring him back before he's lost forever! (or you press the reset button)

The same permanent death is what kept me away from Fire Emblem until Awakening, but FFT is so good I suffered through the hardcore challenge anyways.

Such a great loving game.

Oof but those difficulty spikes though. We're not kidding when we say keep multiple saves. You should have an emergency save from like 5 battles ago at all times.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nah, just make sure you save before you start a level since some are two-part (with a save point in the middle) and if you get halfway and then realize the second part is too tough at the moment, if you can't reload to right before you started you'll probably be pretty mad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

corn in the bible posted:

Nah, just make sure you save before you start a level since some are two-part (with a save point in the middle) and if you get halfway and then realize the second part is too tough at the moment, if you can't reload to right before you started you'll probably be pretty mad.

Uh You're entirely forgetting the worst part which is the reason for keeping old saves, which has three battles in a row and if you save after the first or the second you are not allowed to leave to level up or buy things do anything before you do the third battle. :colbert: Also it gives you no indication that its going to lock you into a two or three part battle, it looks just like any other conflict on the map pretty much.

So no, FFT will actually screw you if you only keep two saves, with one at the start of the level. You need at minimum three rotating saves. Safest to just have one save from the last town/inn you were at, though.

EAT A DICK, WIEGRAF

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 8, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Suikoden Tactics is really good, by the way. It's a shame that it's tied to the rpg with the worst world map of all time, Suikoden "let's ride a loving boat" 4
it's also a shame that it's pretty ugly

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Don't blame me, blame yourself or God

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alakaiser posted:

Archer sucks in FFT because Matsuno knows he broke them in Tactics Ogre and figured making them worthless in FFT would balance it out.

Zaphod42 posted:

When that guy you've spent 6 hours grinding up to the ultimate samuari-geomancer-calculator-monk-lancer-ninja combo dies right as you're getting close to finishing off one of the hardest levels in the game, you'll thank your lucky loving stars you get 3 turns to bring him back before he's lost forever! (or you press the reset button)

Unless you make the unit female, allowing them to use a chantage which grants immortality.

Though a proper death machine setup never has to worry about it because they're either a 04 Faith tank or your math user who just wiped the entire field (except aforementioned tank) with Holy or maybe Flare. :eng101:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I just had Ramza punch everybody on half because he had max Bravery.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did it. I saved Algus

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Madmarker posted:

I'm amazed people had to fight a non-captured/dark aeon boss in FFX more than once.
Bullshit, you died to Yunalesca's phase 2/3 transition. Or else you're the only person on the planet who didn't.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Though a proper death machine setup never has to worry about it because they're either a 04 Faith tank or your math user who just wiped the entire field (except aforementioned tank) with Holy or maybe Flare. :eng101:

Or cast DivByHeight, made the Math Skill guy your slowest character, and moved everyone to a half-height tile :v:

I always used to think that fourth-level spells were random damage or somehow tremendously lovely/bugged because the one time I ever actually used one, it was against Worker 7.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 9, 2014

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Bullshit, you died to Yunalesca's phase 2/3 transition. Or else you're the only person on the planet who didn't.

I didn't, but that's because I knew what to expect. The 2nd phase of Braska's Final Aeon wiped me before any of my characters could move though.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Alakaiser posted:

I loved SaGa Frontier to death but my most vivid memory of it was wandering up to Lute's final boss in a matter of 20 or 30 minutes and being completely confused.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If I remember correctly, I hadn't unzombied Yuna when Yunalesca first did the megadeath thing, which let me revive my team and eke out a win. Though that was around a decade ago, so it may have been Tidus who wasn't unzombied

Now on the other hand I died like 6 times against Carry Armor in FF7 the first time I played through that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Haha Sazh's storyline in FF13-3 is so stupid

SAZH IT WAS YOUR ANGRY FACE PUT YOUR SON IN A COMA

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When that happened to me I could not stop laughing. It was such a beautiful dick move from Square.

Honestly I think that the Yunalesca fight is mechanically one of the best designed bosses in the series. The use of zombification to limit your healing yet also protect you from the instant death makes for an interesting combination. Unlike the rest of the game, you don't always want to remove your status effects right away. Zombie + offensive healing + death is also very appropriate on a thematic level for her role in the story. The instant death should have had a weaker version in the early form as a warning for Megadeath, but the fundamentals are solid.

Shame about that unskippable 5 minute cutscene though, geez.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
So I bought Dissidia 012 last year and gave up on it after about half an hour, but I'm considering giving it another go. Anything that makes it a bit easier to get into quickly? I remember not knowing if Action or RPG Mode was better, and the world map seemed pointless.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bregor posted:

So I bought Dissidia 012 last year and gave up on it after about half an hour, but I'm considering giving it another go. Anything that makes it a bit easier to get into quickly? I remember not knowing if Action or RPG Mode was better, and the world map seemed pointless.

Action mode is better - RPG mode is basically switching though menus to do attacks and is rather clunky.

Set your system date/clock to whatever your Bonus Day is (you'll get more EXP, AP, item drops etc). On the world map, see if you can get the first hit on enemies before the battle starts. Collect as many EX-cores as quickly as possible in battle to activate your Ex-mode (limit break).

Customise the character controls and moveset to your liking rather than default, and know that you can cancel most moves by dodging.

Accept that some characters are going to be either poo poo to play as, or shits to fight.

It's been a while since I've played it, but if you need any character specifics, I'll try to remember.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is Exdeath good in that?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Exdeath is hilarious since he's slow as gently caress and has fifteen different counter moves. You're just a brickwall that people throw themselves at.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Is Exdeath good in that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUGCpClNgwQ

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Is Exdeath good in that?

He's not quite as good in Duodecim as he was in the original, but he is still S tier.

The best 2 characters are Ultimecia and Prishe in S+ Tier

S Tier is Squall, Lightning and Exdeath

A+ Tier is Firion(my favorite), Sephiroth and the Emperor

A Tier is Zidane, Gabranth, Kefka, Warrior of Light, Tidus, Golbez, Onion Knight and Kuja(my second favorite)

and everyone else is B Tier or lower with Bartz actually being the lowest ranked character.

Linked is a spreadsheet from the Dissidia forums with the tier breakdown:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjaPyY2d398PdEdyeFZEZjgwdE0zeER6aTI1VUc5QVE#gid=0

The one big caveat to the Tier List is that Jecht should be higher on the list, but no one actually uses him well enough, he has all the tools to be in at least the A tier, with a great block and awesome brave gathering potential that can combo into Hp attacks, but people have a hard time comboing with him correctly, keeping him artificially lower on the tier list.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 9, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, since when was Squall good? I never played 012, but I remember him being awful in the first game because he didn't have any brave>hp moves, and even though his brave moves were fast and strong, his HP moves were ridiculously slow and had bad hitboxes. What happened in 012?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Squall
New Bravery attack, Fire Barret.
Last hit of Fusillade has longer range and staggers guard.
Rough Divide (ground) now tracks upwards, but has greatly reduced range.
Fated Circle and Aerial Circle have improved absorption effect.
Blasting Zone turns to track opponent during start-up.
Solid Barrel has reduced range and can no longer pierce guards in EX Mode.
Thunder Barret has greatly reduced cool-down.
Beat Fang has slightly reduced range.
Mystic Flurry now fires at a downward and upward angle and the lightning strikes travel downward faster and track enemies.
Heel Crush can no longer be dodge cancelled out.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Wait, since when was Squall good? I never played 012, but I remember him being awful in the first game because he didn't have any brave>hp moves, and even though his brave moves were fast and strong, his HP moves were ridiculously slow and had bad hitboxes. What happened in 012?

quote from the forums

K´Genesis on Dissidia Forums posted:

Squall is one of the most positivitely affected characters of the entire cast by the mechanics' changes. His only two weaknesses from DFF were either removed or supressed from the game's ecossystem: Stalling and difficulty in landing HPAs, making him a solid pick in this new environment.

He still retains his offensive prowess from DFF, but not without taking a few hits that would otherwise make him too much of a powerhouse. His BRV melee game is still one of the best around(if not the best overall) and, between damage nerfs and buffs, maintains itself as Squall's trademark with a perfect balance between speed and power. The only notable loss was the removal of Heel Crush cancelling which, in turn, severely reduces mindgaming tactics. But he has been graced with two other tools to make up for it: Thunder Barret's amazing buff and the new Fire Barret.

Also, Squall takes advantage of the assist system like no other character, being able to fill his assist gauge very quickly and turning his crushing BRV game into HP damage with unquestionable efficiency. Not to mention the newfound custom combos between his own BRV attacks and assists that truly turn him into the fabled "Combo Master" he was once called. The possibilities are numerous and certainly damaging.
If you want a fast, aggressive melee character with lots of tools and a powerful assist-based game, look no further. Squall will certainly earn a spot in your team.

TLDR-Assist characters make Squall Awesome. Oh and his Magic spells aren't complete rear end anymore either.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should make a Vita Dissidia because I would buy it

There's probably still a character or two from each game that would be worth adding to the roster I guess. Let me play as Sazh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

There's probably still a character or two from each game that would be worth adding to the roster I guess.
Black Mage, pirate lady from 2, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Rosa, Faris, Sabin, Barret, Seifer, anyone would be good really, Auron, i have not played 11, Balthier, Sazh, I have not played 14

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

Black Mage, pirate lady from 2, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Rosa, Faris, Sabin, Barret, Seifer, anyone would be good really, Auron, i have not played 11, Balthier, Sazh, I have not played 14

Those are all the good choices, yes.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm laffin' at the sound effect that ring attack makes, it's like Exdeath is farting softly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Blackheart posted:

I'm laffin' at the sound effect that ring attack makes, it's like Exdeath is farting softly.

It's alright; he's pine-scented.