Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The only problems with control I had with Skyward Sword was it getting uncalibrated fairly often, but the solution for that is a single button press. I also used the motion plus add-on rather than the wiimote with the motion plus built in, so that might have something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Sometimes those specific movements don't register correctly, so people had trouble playing the game consistently. I've got a crazy idea. Let's build switches into the controller. Then the user can press the switch while swinging the controller a certain way, and the movement will be certain to register. Let's include different switch for each movement. In fact, why not drop the swinging? Just press the switch to represent an action. Boom, no more misreading movements, ever.

I really should patent this.

People can accurately and viably speedrun the game. I don't doubt that people disliked the controls but I've played the game on four different systems in four different conditions and somehow managed to not have problems in any of them, so I really think that people are taking "I disliked the controls and didn't want to play with them" and devolving it into "it didn't work!" When someone talks about how they were flailing their arms around and the controls didn't work, that sounds like user error.

I don't argue that they didn't have flaws and I prefer button controls to motion controls myself, but the hyperbole over the SS controls is a bit silly. I don't blame anyone for wanting to go back to classic controls at all but still.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 9, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The controls worked perfectly for me.

And I don't mean I had to spend 10 years training in a secret wiimote dojo on a Tibetan mountain to get the game to respond properly.

I brought the game home, put it in the wii, picked up my controller, and did what the game said to do... and it controlled flawlessly from the start. It works. You people must be using faulty wiimotes, there can't be another explanation.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

*wildly flails huge flabby retard arms* it doesn't work!!!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

WiiU Zelda looks like a fun game to get lost in. I can't wait to play.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Even if the controls worked perfectly, you still had to do dumb things like raise your sword wiimote over your head to charge up the sword. I won't miss that.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Mahoning posted:

Even if the controls worked perfectly, you still had to do dumb things like raise your sword wiimote over your head to charge up the sword. I won't miss that.

You only had to hold it vertically, not over your head.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Some goons are so out of shape they can't lift their arm higher than a resting position. That's a great thing to learn.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Hedrigall posted:

Some goons are so out of shape they can't lift their arm higher than a resting position. That's a great thing to learn.

I know what you meant here, but there are legitimately people who could have trouble playing a game like that - reduced range of motion from an injury, ill health, etc.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

People can accurately and viably speedrun the game. I don't doubt that people disliked the controls but I've played the game on four different systems in four different conditions and somehow managed to not have problems in any of them, so I really think that people are taking "I disliked the controls and didn't want to play with them" and devolving it into "it didn't work!" When someone talks about how they were flailing their arms around and the controls didn't work, that sounds like user error.

I don't argue that they didn't have flaws and I prefer button controls to motion controls myself, but the hyperbole over the SS controls is a bit silly. I don't blame anyone for wanting to go back to classic controls at all but still.

I've never played SS. Motion controls are garbage and belong in the "well, it was worth a shot" dustbin of history, right next to 3D.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ColdPie posted:

I've never played SS. Motion controls are garbage and belong in the "well, it was worth a shot" dustbin of history, right next to 3D.

Actually motion controls and 3D are both great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ColdPie posted:

"I never played it but I know it sucked" is a pretty lovely argument, man. I don't like motion controls myself much but there's a difference between disliking them and them being defective.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I know what you meant here, but there are legitimately people who could have trouble playing a game like that - reduced range of motion from an injury, ill health, etc.

While this is true, the same applies to all forms of control and the opposite is also true. I have a friend who has a problem with his hand which makes it pretty much impossible for him to hold a 360/PS3 controller but he can comfortably hold a Wiimote + Nunchuck and the use of motion controls instead of buttons means he can play games he wouldn't otherwise be able to.

Back in high school I had to help modify a teacher's kid's Gameboy so he could play it because he was in an accident and lost his hand. Even then he could only play certain games. It legitimately sucks and I wish more games would offer support (at least in the form of customizable controls) for people who have trouble with certain kinds of inputs, but it isn't something exclusive to Wiimote controls at all.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 9, 2014

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Hedrigall posted:

Reminds me of the "informed criticism" of the Wii when it was revealed. "You're arms are going to get tired!"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Actually, that's completely true and I feel bad about my joke now.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Again, part of the problem is just how people's bodies move. I did well enough with vertical and horizontal slashes, but the diagonals were really difficult for me, and Ghirahim just loves him some diagonal hitboxes. I wasn't waving my arm like a spaz, I was flicking my wrist; but evidently, the way I do that doesn't register properly with Motion+. Que sera.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

romanowski posted:

*wildly flails huge flabby retard arms* it doesn't work!!!

Seriously, what kind of wacky set-up did people have for Skyward Sword that made the controls so hard? Do you live on the Island from Lost and there are magnetic forces tilting Link's sword toward the hatch?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

"I lost my hands in the war and can't use the gamepad. This game sucks!"

uh, maybe train your feet more?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bicyclops posted:

Seriously, what kind of wacky set-up did people have for Skyward Sword that made the controls so hard?

The MotionPlus add-on.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Motion Controls, some people love them, others hate them, but you gotta respect them.

I was look at the Zelda U map and I noticed a hurricane to the left and a skull on the top right. I bet it will be fun and cool to explore those areas in the game. The new Zelda game that is coming out next year.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, why are we drudging through the "Motion controls in SS don't work!/Motion controls totally work you noobs!" argument again when we could be talking about Zelda U instead? Or how awesome the 3D remake of Majora's Mask is gonna be? Or how overpowered Twili Midna is in Hyrule Warriors? Hell, worst comes to worst, we can talk about all the other reasons Skyward Sword sucks!

Just anything but the motion controls again :negative:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I hope the new Zelda controls like the DS ones.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Zelda U is gonna be a Tingle-fied version of Pacman 2 that's controlled by yelling commands into the gamepad mic.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So Bayonetta 2 came with a free copy of Bayonetta 1 in every box.

What if Zelda U came with a free copy of Twilight Princess HD in every box :neckbeard:

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Including Bayonetta 1 with Bayonetta 2 was a value add. Including Twilight Princess with the new Zelda is the opposite.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Gorgolflox posted:

Motion Controls, some people love them, others hate them, but you gotta respect them.

I was look at the Zelda U map and I noticed a hurricane to the left and a skull on the top right. I bet it will be fun and cool to explore those areas in the game. The new Zelda game that is coming out next year.

I actually wonder on whether its a hurricane (though that would be awesome, and not without its place in Zelda), or if perhaps its a snow region.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Not to get all Real World on the thread, but hurricanes don't get that far inland. It's probably a snowy region.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
With that hole right in the center, I'm thinking its the clouds over Death Mountain.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I wasn't being serious with the hurricane thing, it's probably clouds or snow. I'm more interested in what the skull is, Death Mountain? Ganon's House? Kooloo-Limpah?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I hope it's the town.

Skull Town.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Lines up sort of with the Sorceress Temple from Hyrule Warriors.
I'd love this to be a near sequal to Skyward Sword during the expansion of Hyrule as a kingdom.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Including Bayonetta 1 with Bayonetta 2 was a value add. Including Twilight Princess with the new Zelda is the opposite.

Twilight Princess was a good game, sorry.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bicyclops posted:

Twilight Princess was a good game, sorry.

B-but it took multiple button presses to become a wolf, and the world map was big and empty, also bloom :qq:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

B-but it took multiple button presses to become a wolf, and the world map was big and empty, also bloom :qq:

This but seriously.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

There's twili midna in hyrule warriors?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blackheart posted:

Yup. She was DLC.

I mean, the game isn't perfect. The fishing mini-game sucks, the day/night mechanic can't be manipulated and you have to hunt the poes at night, yadda yadda, but half the complaints people have about it apply to Ocarina of Time. Like the big field is actually kind of fun in this one, it's an intended feature to let you ride your horse around and search the corners of it for stuff (and it's not as empty as people pretend). The bloom lighting is a good design choice for the subject matter. They can't all be Windwaker.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also it has really good art design (that part near the end where Midna goes full Evangelion is awesome) and the dungeons are generally better than both WW and SS! Also that last Ganon fight rules.

TP is greaaaaatt.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackheart posted:

She fights by summoning giant hands, the sky city cannon, a pack of wolves, and the Kakariko Gorge bridge.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A lot of those flaws people mention like multiple button presses to become a wolf, day and night mechanic, horse whistle way too late, confusion about how much a blue rupee is worth(they only remind you once per game start and i keep forgetting!) etc could be easily fixed in a remake just like Wind Waker's most glaring flaws were.
Iron some of those out, clean up the lighting and brighten some texture colors just a wee bit, and improve pacing before the first dungeon and you've made the game a ton better already, before all of the quality of life improvements the gamepad and being in 1080p can add.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

greatn posted:

A lot of those flaws people mention like multiple button presses to become a wolf, day and night mechanic, horse whistle way too late, confusion about how much a blue rupee is worth(they only remind you once per game start and i keep forgetting!) etc could be easily fixed in a remake just like Wind Waker's most glaring flaws were.
Iron some of those out, clean up the lighting and brighten some texture colors just a wee bit, and improve pacing before the first dungeon and you've made the game a ton better already, before all of the quality of life improvements the gamepad and being in 1080p can add.

Yeah, that's very true. I'm amazed at how minimal the changes were in the actual gameplay for Windwaker in some ways and how vastly it was improved by the three or four differences. I'm looking forward to seeing what they change in Majora's Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never got the "it takes multiple button presses to become a wolf" thing because like... yes, it does.

It also takes multiple button presses to do half the other poo poo in other Zelda games. You have to play a song every time you want to fast-travel, don't even get me started on swapping boots. It's an annoyance but treating it like a major game-crippling mistake, especially when it has been present in other Zelda games, is pretty silly.

• Locked thread