Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rumda posted:

Yeah but when you vote you get people willing to pervert justice just to get elected

And when they're appointed they pervert justice for entirely different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
In any case, we can all agree that justice is perverted.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

And when they're appointed they pervert justice for entirely different reasons.

The idea is that judges should not be taking popular opinion into account when they make decisions, only the law. If you think the people are going to elect a lovely governor who is just going to appoint cronies then that's a problem with the state of democracy right now and solutions can be found in fixing the electoral process and working toward a more informed public. Why would the same electorate that's electing this bigoted, nepotistic governor you are postulating be any better at electing judges?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MrWilderheap posted:

The idea is that judges should not be taking popular opinion into account when they make decisions, only the law. If you think the people are going to elect a lovely governor who is just going to appoint cronies then that's a problem with the state of democracy right now and solutions can be found in fixing the electoral process and working toward a more informed public. Why would the same electorate that's electing this bigoted, nepotistic governor you are postulating be any better at electing judges?

They wouldn't. But removing electing judges isn't going to fix anything. The public is the problem, not the basic idea behind the current system. Basically everything is hosed.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm not sure if it's viewable without (free) membership, but the FT has a good article on Serial, touching on what it refers to as the 'moral queasiness' of using real cases for entertainment.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Red Oktober posted:

I'm not sure if it's viewable without (free) membership, but the FT has a good article on Serial, touching on what it refers to as the 'moral queasiness' of using real cases for entertainment.

I think the FT is one of those sites that gives you a few free articles a month.

It's a fairly smart article and largely absolves Serial itself and looks towards the audience, e.g. Reddit.

There's a nice quote at the end too:

quote:

“I feel like the word for this whole series has been ‘ambiguity’,” says another, 28-year-old Anna Maltby Patil. “The crime was ambiguous, the ‘evidence’ was ambiguous, the characters involved have been ambiguous, everyone’s opinions about the podcast itself have been pretty ambiguous. I think we’ll be able to do a lot of interpretation about that but I don’t know that Sarah is going to provide it for us . . .”

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nice interview with Adnan's family in the Guardian yesterday: http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/dec/07/serial-adnan-syed-family-podcast-interview

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

TheJoker138 posted:

They wouldn't. But removing electing judges isn't going to fix anything. The public is the problem, not the basic idea behind the current system. Basically everything is hosed.

If the public is the problem then removing them from decisions can only help.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Make voting compulsory, make judges voted in for life only to be removed by impeachment process.

Our entire criminal judicial system hinges on guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. There is so much doubt here that I would like to think I would not have convicted had I been on the jury. but I've never been on a jury so I don't know what it's like having to make those decisions and decipher all the evidence in a small closed room. I hope Adnan get's another trial.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dear Prudence posted:

Make voting compulsory, make judges voted in for life only to be removed by impeachment process.

Our entire criminal judicial system hinges on guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. There is so much doubt here that I would like to think I would not have convicted had I been on the jury. but I've never been on a jury so I don't know what it's like having to make those decisions and decipher all the evidence in a small closed room. I hope Adnan get's another trial.

The other problem with being on a jury is that it severely interferes with your day to day life. I was on one that took 2 days away from me, and that was pretty bad. I can't imagine having to sit on a Jury for multiple weeks. I wonder if that would make someone want to come to a decision as soon as possible.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Blue Star Error posted:

I think this case is a strange example of a miscarriage of justice that happened to get the right guy.

loving Bingo

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

loving Bingo

Nothing, aside from Jay's say so, connects Adnan to the crime and Jay had to give the prosecutor Adnan or else Jay would have his deal revoked and probably be the prosecutor's next target.

What makes you certain that Adnan killed Hae?

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

MrWilderheap posted:

This is mostly due to "tough on crime" politicians who have implemented laws that put in place incredibly long mandatory minimum sentences for trivial offenses.

I totally agree but don't confuse broken laws with a broken system.

These laws are placed there because this is what the majority of the people with the power want ether for personal gain or misguided attempt at security. Just look at the push for legalization of pot, laws can change and slowly push towards the norm.

But ultimately, no matter what system you live under, all legal systems use humans and humans are flawed and make mistakes.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah but American humans are the most flawed.

Not really.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

But there just isn't any compelling reason that judge should be an elected position. The executive and legislators are elected because the public has a right to determine what the laws are and how they should be enforced. But why should public opinion play any role in the court room? The only things that should matter to the judge are the facts of the case and the law itself. Not how their ruling will affect their chances of reelection. Most countries have appointed judges, the US is one of the few places that elects them (on a local level) and I've never heard a good reason why that should be the case.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

MrWilderheap posted:

But there just isn't any compelling reason that judge should be an elected position. The executive and legislators are elected because the public has a right to determine what the laws are and how they should be enforced. But why should public opinion play any role in the court room? The only things that should matter to the judge are the facts of the case and the law itself. Not how their ruling will affect their chances of reelection. Most countries have appointed judges, the US is one of the few places that elects them (on a local level) and I've never heard a good reason why that should be the case.

It has to do with the conversation between the traditions of common law and society which, in a perfect world, produces lawyers and judges from the same society in which they're elected. The politics is what skews the system, but the Lockean notion of law preceding the state is and our own unique system of law is a good combination with properties of civil law. I mean, it's American as gently caress in all its chaos (which I think can be beautiful at times) and conservative in the sense that it is often behind the times but not prone to radical change overnight. But then I'm not black and in prison based on flimsy evidence.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Shes Not Impressed posted:

It has to do with the conversation between the traditions of common law and society which, in a perfect world, produces lawyers and judges from the same society in which they're elected. The politics is what skews the system, but the Lockean notion of law preceding the state is and our own unique system of law is a good combination with properties of civil law. I mean, it's American as gently caress in all its chaos (which I think can be beautiful at times) and conservative in the sense that it is often behind the times but not prone to radical change overnight. But then I'm not black and in prison based on flimsy evidence.

Let local judges be selected by county board supervisors, let DAs be elected as the representation of the people's desires re: law enforcement

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

bedpan posted:

Nothing, aside from Jay's say so, connects Adnan to the crime and Jay had to give the prosecutor Adnan or else Jay would have his deal revoked and probably be the prosecutor's next target.

What makes you certain that Adnan killed Hae?

I can't answer for that guy, but the crucial piece of evidence is that Jay knew where Hae's car was. That proves beyond any doubt that Jay was involved with her death, and we can completely rule out unknown third parties (eg serial killers, sex pests, Mr S etc).

I'm not a big fan of the "Jay did it" theories, because as others have pointed out he has no motive (that we've heard on the show, I haven't read any other material), and he'd basically need to be a criminal mastermind to engineer the perfect situation where he has Adnan's phone and car during a tiny window when Adnan has no alibi. I haven't heard anything so far that makes me think that that's the case.

Which leaves us with Adnan. Either he killed her alone and enlisted Jay's help afterwards (roughly as per Jay's testimony), or they were both in on it together and Jay later turned on Adnan for unclear reasons (but most likely a guilty conscience).

I think the latter is the most likely scenario, based on what we've heard so far.

That said. I don't think he should have been convicted on the strength of evidence we've been shown; in my mind there's certainly enough reasonable doubt that he's not guilty. If the burden of proof were lower, and we were looking at the balance of probabilities, I'd be more inclined to say guilty.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
People keep saying he doesn't have an alibi, but doesn't that one woman say she saw him in the library? Maybe it got debunked later on and I just missed it though.

Also, I think it's kind of silly to assume that Jay has to be a criminal mastermind to pull this off. People get away with murder all the time, all he really needed was to get lucky, and I think that's what happened. He killed her, got incredibly lucky that Adnan couldn't provide a clear-cut alibi, and he used the fact that he helped testify to skate free of everything.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Jummy posted:

People keep saying he doesn't have an alibi, but doesn't that one woman say she saw him in the library? Maybe it got debunked later on and I just missed it though.

Also, I think it's kind of silly to assume that Jay has to be a criminal mastermind to pull this off. People get away with murder all the time, all he really needed was to get lucky, and I think that's what happened. He killed her, got incredibly lucky that Adnan couldn't provide a clear-cut alibi, and he used the fact that he helped testify to skate free of everything.

Asia claims to have seen him at the library and while I don't think it was debunked she wasn't very sure about it after the fact. It felt a little circumstantial at best. That said, it's criminal that Adnan's attorney didn't follow up with Asia to help his case.

Even if Asia did see him at the library they still have the cell phone record to link Adnan to the crime. The call to Nisha shows him and Jay together shortly after the murder and during the time when he was supposedly at track practice. The phone also pinged the cell tower near Leakin park showing that his phone was near the site of Hae's grave the night of the murder.

It doesn't prove that Adnan killed Hae but I think it's enough to show that he was more involved than he's letting on.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jummy posted:

I don't remember which episode it was (I think it was The Deal With Jay), but Jay apparently told somebody beforehand a somewhat different version of the story and in that version Hae was killed at the library at about the time Asia (?) saw Adnan there. So the library story only exonerates Adnan according to the version of events that was presented at the trial, which we already know is pretty suspect.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That was the story told to his friend Chris. In that version, Adnan called him while he was at a pool hall [this is probably another source for rumors that he may have been more involved with Jenn] and it was at the library. Also the Asia alibi really only covers the state's timeline (which is why it would have significantly aided his case).

Part of the requirement for Jay being called a 'mastermind' is that he had to have been framing Adnan from the start. These were stories he was telling people fairly early on. It's not just Chris and Jenn, there is also Neighbor Boy. NB claimed what he said didn't happen, but clearly it either did or he heard about it somehow. My guess is it's the latter before he realized that he'd be an accessory if he confirmed it.

And again, she was most likely killed by someone who managed to get her and her car away from the crowded school lot without a scene, killed her without a violent struggle, and failed to leave any physical evidence in her car. I don't know if the police could determine it, but it seems likely she was buried the same day she was killed as well, given the snowstorm.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Am I crazy or was the Asia alibi debunked because she specifically mentioned the type of weather that day way which was completely inaccurate? Like she said it was raining heavily but it was clear all day or something? So she would have been remembering another day.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mister Chief posted:

Am I crazy or was the Asia alibi debunked because she specifically mentioned the type of weather that day way which was completely inaccurate? Like she said it was raining heavily but it was clear all day or something? So she would have been remembering another day.

It was on a blog somewhere but I didn't bookmark it and can't find it now.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Mister Chief posted:

Your memory is correct. While not entirely debunking Asia's story, it at least makes it unreliable. Like just about everything else in the case. In fact, about the only uncontested fact in the whole case is that Jay is somehow involved.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Mister Chief posted:

http://serialpodcast.org/posts/2014/11/weather-report

Basically, her memory of talking to Adnan in the library is specifically tied to the fact that it snowed that night, because her boyfriend was mad at her for doing so and she was then trapped in the house with him all night, which was awkward or something. Problem is, it didn't actually snow that night. School was cancelled the next day due to ice, not snow, and that didn't even start until 4:30 AM on the 14th.

While this doesn't disprove her story, it does, like outlier just said, make it more unreliable because the fact that the weather was different than what she said makes it possible that she's remembering a completely different day. On the other hand, ice and snow aren't really all that different (to me, at least :ca:) especially as she's remembering it 6 weeks and then 14 years after the fact, so it could be nothing.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

ninjahedgehog posted:

http://serialpodcast.org/posts/2014/11/weather-report

Basically, her memory of talking to Adnan in the library is specifically tied to the fact that it snowed that night, because her boyfriend was mad at her for doing so and she was then trapped in the house with him all night, which was awkward or something. Problem is, it didn't actually snow that night. School was cancelled the next day due to ice, not snow, and that didn't even start until 4:30 AM on the 14th.

While this doesn't disprove her story, it does, like outlier just said, make it more unreliable because the fact that the weather was different than what she said makes it possible that she's remembering a completely different day. On the other hand, ice and snow aren't really all that different (to me, at least :ca:) especially as she's remembering it 6 weeks and then 14 years after the fact, so it could be nothing.

Not even close to as unreliable as Jay saying he saw Hae's body at the strip, or at best buy, or ???.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

The manipulation is apparent to the judge but the exact details do not concern us common folk.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Watermelon City posted:

The manipulation is apparent to the judge but the exact details do not concern us common folk.

It feels like it would be improper for him to get into the specifics of the case. I'm surprised he even made that comment, to be honest.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

CottonWolf posted:

It feels like it would be improper for him to get into the specifics of the case. I'm surprised he even made that comment, to be honest.

It's lovely and unbecoming but also pretty predictable.

Jummy posted:

People get away with murder all the time, all he really needed was to get lucky, and I think that's what happened. He killed her, got incredibly lucky that Adnan couldn't provide a clear-cut alibi, and he used the fact that he helped testify to skate free of everything.

A million times this. The cops served his lucky break on a platter.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 9, 2014

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I powered through the first five episodes last night knowing nothing about it, rely enjoying the immersive quality, and then when I googled it and found out it was all a real case I felt somewhat guilty about trying to "guess" if he was innocent or not.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

dj_clawson posted:

I powered through the first five episodes last night knowing nothing about it, rely enjoying the immersive quality, and then when I googled it and found out it was all a real case I felt somewhat guilty about trying to "guess" if he was innocent or not.

How did you listen to five episodes and not know it was a real case?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

He doesn't pay attention to lyrics.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Probably has the same attention to detail that your average juror in this country has.

If my life is ever in the hands of a jury I'd sooner just blow my brains out than let 12 brain dead fucks decide my fate.

P.S. Not calling the other poster a brain dead gently caress. However they do seem to have horrible deductive powers and no attention to detail. Much like your average juror.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
quote/edit

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

I thought it was a really, really, really excellent radio show.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Well, the War of the Worlds mystery is solved..

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

This may be relevant to goon interests: The Marshall Project Polls Top Trial Lawyers on Adnan's Guilt

cams
Mar 28, 2003

quote:

And I’ll say, if he’s so virtuous, why’s there such a lack of emotion on his part? In discussing the murder of someone you loved for which you've been unjustly imprisoned for decades, you’d get emotional.
I want to pick on this one cause I had this same thought early when I was going through it, but as it went on I started to really understand. The guy is in prison. He does not think he is getting out. I do not think he is "playing a character".

This is a girl he dated for a very small amount of time when he was 17 and, honestly, at this point I think it would be really weird if he talked about her like she was the love of his life.

I take the "Adnan may in fact have done it but I see zero reason to believe he did beyond the word of a noted liar who is 100% involved in the murder and cover-up."

quote:

Joseph Sieger, Brooklyn Defender Services

Verdict: Guilty, but not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Reason: Not enough evidence linking Adnan to the crime.

Explanation: My gut is that Adnan probably did it, albeit with a hell of a lot more involvement on Jay’s part than Jay has admitted to. That being said, no loving way would I say Adnan is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. No way.
Yeah, this one. The only reason I don't completely believe that Adnan didn't kill her is that I can't explain who did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
New episode just dropped. Titled: Rumors, oh poo poo yall

• Locked thread