Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is the Nexus Player only HDMI out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Is the Nexus Player only HDMI out?

Seems like it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Yes, the only ports on the unit are HDMI, micro USB, and power.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Would be nice to have an optical SPDIF.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Updated the OP to reflect the thread's title change.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I bought my $30 Chromecast a year ago, I've left it in my TV, and I'm still very happy with my purchase a year later. While there's glitches, things have eventually sorted themselves out.

I don't use it heavily like some people, but it works well for what it's designed for.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
As someone who has never used one of these casting sticks how do they work with Plex? Mainly I'm wanting to stream a movie to the TV while gaming on the desktop that the Plex server is running on. Is that possible or am I going to run into the issue where I can only use one audio stream?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CFox posted:

As someone who has never used one of these casting sticks how do they work with Plex? Mainly I'm wanting to stream a movie to the TV while gaming on the desktop that the Plex server is running on. Is that possible or am I going to run into the issue where I can only use one audio stream?

You're going to run into the issue where the computer shits itself because its rendering a game and transcoding video at the same time.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
only if you have a lovely desktop or are playing BF4 on a 64 player server really. I used to transcode and play games at the same time constantly on my 2500K, transcoding in real time only takes like half of one core nowadays.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Straker posted:

only if you have a lovely desktop or are playing BF4 on a 64 player server really. I used to transcode and play games at the same time constantly on my 2500K, transcoding in real time only takes like half of one core nowadays.

Yea, this is a gaming desktop so the transcoding performance hit isnt noticeable. Main thing is being able to have separate audio streams. Otherwise I might as well just run an HDMI cable.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

CFox posted:

Yea, this is a gaming desktop so the transcoding performance hit isnt noticeable. Main thing is being able to have separate audio streams. Otherwise I might as well just run an HDMI cable.

You'll be fine. I do it all the time.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Fire tv stick reviews are coming in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dl3xoCKdVM

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Got my Nexus Player and controller last night.

Player
- Very nice looking. A lot better looking on a stand than a huge STB.
- Small, so if you have stiff HDMI cables it may case it to lift up.
- Content in indeed sparse but the basics are there.
- Voice control on the remote is astoundingly bad.
- Operation is very smooth. No hangups or stuttering.
- - Except when you're installing big apps and it is basically worthless and laggy. Once it finishes its fine.
- Installing apps via the web Play Store works decently. Played FF6 a bunch.
- Boot takes fooooooooooooooooooooooooorever.
- Wish it had multi user due to the gaming aspect.

Controller
- Basic. Seems to be built decent enough. Button throw is average.
- Dpad is clicky and awful but functions fine.
- Overpriced

You will never find a more determined Chromecast white knight but this review makes the device look incredibly fail. What the gently caress is up with shipping a "gaming as a first class citizen" STB and then not have local multiplayer. that is the dumest poo poo ive ever loving read. Let me guess: the workaround is to install a USB hub into the microUSB slot, plug in usb controllers (or a 360 wireless dongle thing) and fire up an emulator? Does that even work? What a disgrace.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I think he means you can only log on to one account at a time. You can connect up to 4 of the gamepads to one Nexus Player.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What Android game has local multiplayer?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

butt dickus posted:

I think he means you can only log on to one account at a time. You can connect up to 4 of the gamepads to one Nexus Player.

This. Like if my fiance wants to play Badland she's stuck playing it on my account so stuff like progress or achievements goes to my Play Games profile.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This. Like if my fiance wants to play Badland she's stuck playing it on my account so stuff like progress or achievements goes to my Play Games profile.

You're using her to farm cheevos? You monster

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

butt dickus posted:

Oh good. I am incredibly stupid lol

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

The only complaint I have about the FireTV Stick is that it isn't always listening for a Miracast connection. I have to go to settings, Display, then Casting.

And my Windows 8.1 laptop isn't seeing it even on that screen; of course I haven't been able to get it to connect to my WDTV Live that has miracast as well.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Should Plex on the Nexus Player show metadata? In the server software I see plot details, actors, etc. but nothing beyond the poster is displayed in the app on the Nexus Player.

Edit: The latest Kodi nightly for Android x86 has the new icon for the Nexus Player:

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 25, 2014

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

^^^

Is there a way to reorganize the Apps order? I hate having Kodi as my last app. Also, Kodi seemed to struggle with external media. It could not recognize my USB drive so I had to always copy over files locally for Kodi to use.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is the Chromecast notably janky with iOS? I've been using mine with my iPhone and kinda noticing that it's a bit spotty as to whether it detects it (or whether it stays detected if it does).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
TuneIn Radio added support!!!!!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is the Chromecast notably janky with iOS? I've been using mine with my iPhone and kinda noticing that it's a bit spotty as to whether it detects it (or whether it stays detected if it does).

Do you live in an area with a lot of WiFi networks around?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

teagone posted:

Do you live in an area with a lot of WiFi networks around?

Yeah, but they're all passworded and my home wifi is the only one my iPhone knows.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, but they're all passworded and my home wifi is the only one my iPhone knows.

What channels are they all on?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I have both the chromecast and the fire tv stick. The chromecast recently has been giving me issues with videos freezing for a few seconds when using things like plex. Fire tv stick has been a dream in comparison, just perfect playback.

I don't really understand why as I thought everything was done server side on my pc. Having a remote is nice as well, though searching is way better on chromecast as typing with the remote is a pain.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Harminoff posted:

So I have both the chromecast and the fire tv stick. The chromecast recently has been giving me issues with videos freezing for a few seconds when using things like plex. Fire tv stick has been a dream in comparison, just perfect playback.

I don't really understand why as I thought everything was done server side on my pc. Having a remote is nice as well, though searching is way better on chromecast as typing with the remote is a pain.

Fire TV Stick has dual band/dual antennae WiFi compared to Chromecast's single band, so I'm guessing it's able pick up a better WiFi signal from your router? Anecdotal, but I've got a moderately decent router that's able to serve up 1080p content to 2 Chromecasts in my house from Plex without issue. That said, I'd totally recommend the Fire TV stick over Chromecast for Plex these days because of the remote and better WiFi.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, a few times I had pauses while watching something in the CC, and it was weird because 90% of the time it was smooth, so I knew the hardware was enough. I rebooted the router, and that "fixed" it. so a teagone mentions, it can be the dual antenna or just a compatibility thing between different hw.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Is anyone using their Chromecast for music to something other than a TV?

I grabbed this HDMI to VGA w/ audio adapter and despite what the article shows I couldn't get it working until I plugged in a VGA dongle or display to the other end. Once I got that going, the audio seems decent but could definitely use a boost.

Has anyone else set this up as sort of a poor person's airplay?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I've set one up going to a HDMI input on an audio receiver, so that can play music whether the TV is on or not. Did you buy the exact same converter? And I get the feeling anything passive is going to put out a really weak and crappy analogue signal anyway, even if you're running it into an amp

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

baka kaba posted:

I've set one up going to a HDMI input on an audio receiver, so that can play music whether the TV is on or not.

I've done the same thing

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't know anything about how this works, but doesn't the Chromecast support some sorta something that switches inputs automatically on the device its connected to?

Does that work when it's plugged in to a receiver?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know anything about how this works, but doesn't the Chromecast support some sorta something that switches inputs automatically on the device its connected to?

Mine is plugged into a switch (because I have too many hdmi devices) and I'm pretty sure my chromecast wakes and possibly reboots around 4 am and the switch switches inputs to the chromecast because of this.

I would love to figure out how to stop it, because other than this hiccup that happens regularly, I have my system set so that my wife can control what she wants without needing me to play around with the universal remote.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Thermopyle posted:

Depends if your receiver passes through HDMI-CEC or not.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Thermopyle posted:

https://gigaom.com/2013/07/24/chromecast-hdmi-cec/

It's HDMI-CEC, and it will even turn my TV on if I cast something while it's off, even through an HDMI splitter. As for your receiver, you'd have to figure out somehow if that thing supports HDMI-CEC.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah like people said it supports HDMI-CEC so it can do things like switch the TV on and so on. Your receiver can probably control what gets through - I had to run it through this old Onkyo one which had like... two levels of control? You had HDMI Control (I think that was necessary to make it keep playing while the TV is off) and if that was on you could enable Power Control which is what sends the wakeup signals. Something like that, it was stupidly complicated

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

baka kaba posted:

I've set one up going to a HDMI input on an audio receiver, so that can play music whether the TV is on or not. Did you buy the exact same converter? And I get the feeling anything passive is going to put out a really weak and crappy analogue signal anyway, even if you're running it into an amp

Fairly certain it's the exact same. I followed the same link and it looks the same, but was an ebay seller.

I don't have a receiver and am not looking to buy one. I'm just trying to put one of these in every room and see if I can do a cheap airplay clone. With the VGA dongle plugged into the HDMI converter it seems to work, and I've ordered a cheap $20 amp I saw used on another setup to see if it boosts and is clear enough to use.

If it doesn't work well enough I'll suck it up and go Apple, but the Chromecast seems like such a good candidate platform for this kind of thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

baka kaba posted:

You had HDMI Control (I think that was necessary to make it keep playing while the TV is off) and if that was on you could enable Power Control which is what sends the wakeup signals. Something like that, it was stupidly complicated

I have an old Onkyo and that happens (it stops playing when the TV is off) can you remember what you did to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have an old Onkyo and that happens (it stops playing when the TV is off) can you remember what you did to fix it?

Does it stop producing sound when the TV turns off, or does powering off the TV power off the receiver? If it's the second, you probably need to disable HDMI-CEC (or whatever your TV calls it) on the TV, you can keep it enabled on the receiver. I have an Onkyo RC-360 (aka NR-609), and I don't see any option to change the way CEC behaves other than setting it on or off (the "HDMI Control" setting). Your TV might have an option to control what happens when you turn it off, but I wouldn't count on it.

If it stops making sound when you start with the TV on and then turn it off, that sounds like a HDMI handshake problem. You might be able to force a new handshake by unplugging it from the HDMI input and plugging it back in. If it never works without the TV on, that's probably a handshake problem, but it might not be solvable. If you've got the Chromecast in your TV and you want to use Audio Return to play the audio through your receiver, you probably can't do that with the TV off.

• Locked thread