Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pathetic little tramp posted:

They could also be temporary, as I learned the hard way when I made it back to my stash after the abyss and quaffed three cure mut to get rid of deformed body and something else that sucked. I was pretty annoyed especially because they got rid of my thin skeletal structure, then as I leave the lair for Pan, they fall off on their own because they were inflicted by wretched stars.

No, I had simultaneously temporary mutations and for-real mutations. Once the temporary mutations cleared up, using a different curemut potion cleared up the mutations I had. I'm just not clear on whether that was a coincidence or not, and a good way to be sure would be to verify whether curemut is ever supposed to just do nothing, thus me asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Mr. Lobe posted:

No, I had simultaneously temporary mutations and for-real mutations. Once the temporary mutations cleared up, using a different curemut potion cleared up the mutations I had. I'm just not clear on whether that was a coincidence or not, and a good way to be sure would be to verify whether curemut is ever supposed to just do nothing, thus me asking.

Well if they weren't temporary or anything else, yeah you might have run into an issue - I always thought curemut always gets rid of something as long as you have a removable mutation.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pathetic little tramp posted:

Well if they weren't temporary or anything else, yeah you might have run into an issue - I always thought curemut always gets rid of something as long as you have a removable mutation.

Checking the wiki, there is a 0.05% chance of Curemut just doing nothing, anyways. That's a 1/2000 chance. This is, of course, assuming curemut hasn't changed since the wiki page was last updated. I'll play around in wizmode later and see if the temporary mutations are to blame or not. I might have just been super unlucky.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wish new blurry vision was compartmentalized or something, kind of like how Searing Ray works where you can break out of it. I just died thanks to taking two(?) (the TV of my death, which I watched multiple times, made it seem like WAY more than two turns) turns to try to read ?blink.

I think new blurry and eating chunks/rations/jellies, along with Cheimoving, are the only actions in the game that can just completely gently caress you like that. Not a mistake I'll make again with blurry vision, but unlike most of my Crawl deaths, this felt really lovely and not really like I made a mistake.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brannock posted:

I wish new blurry vision was compartmentalized or something, kind of like how Searing Ray works where you can break out of it. I just died thanks to taking two(?) (the TV of my death, which I watched multiple times, made it seem like WAY more than two turns) turns to try to read ?blink.

I think new blurry and eating chunks/rations/jellies, along with Cheimoving, are the only actions in the game that can just completely gently caress you like that. Not a mistake I'll make again with blurry vision, but unlike most of my Crawl deaths, this felt really lovely and not really like I made a mistake.

The UI for Searing Ray is really terrible and unintuitive, but I do want to make it possible to break out of the blurry vision scroll-reading delay, like you can with putting on/taking off armour. There were technical issues, but I'll have another shot at it sooner than later.

(It's also quite possible to die very fast without any long-duration actions getting involved - my last character went from max hp to dead in two turns, 20 aut, because I got cocky in a bailey. rip /hw and /haste before lair :( )

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 9, 2014

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I would appreciate some tips for this character:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Aston/Aston.txt

This is the first Gargoyle Wizard of Ashenzari I've got past Lair 1 with, and I'm not really sure what to do with him. I think my end goal is going to be a hybrid, and I'd like to look into at least some of extended endgame but I haven't done it before. I've cleared Dungeon, Lair, Spider, Swamp, Orc apart from one room with St Roka, and Vaults down to 4 where Mara is, and normally I'd go for Depths or Elf 1-2 here. As you can probably tell my skill training is all over the place. Please help!

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Aston posted:

I would appreciate some tips for this character:

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Aston/Aston.txt

This is the first Gargoyle Wizard of Ashenzari I've got past Lair 1 with, and I'm not really sure what to do with him. I think my end goal is going to be a hybrid, and I'd like to look into at least some of extended endgame but I haven't done it before. I've cleared Dungeon, Lair, Spider, Swamp, Orc apart from one room with St Roka, and Vaults down to 4 where Mara is, and normally I'd go for Depths or Elf 1-2 here. As you can probably tell my skill training is all over the place. Please help!

I would lose the dire flail and either pick up a great mace or an eveningstar/demon whip and a shield. Dire Flails are nice early because of the low skill investment, but their base damage is bad. An eveningstar is better, only takes two more skill levels, and allows use of a shield. A great mace obviously requires more skill, but with the ash bonus for cursing a 2-handed weapon, it's not bad. If you don't want to put more into M&F, you could also just grab a demon whip, which, enchanted, will be better than the dire flail against anything except high AC enemies.

As for where to go, I think depths makes sense, that's usually where I'd go if I didn't want to deal with Vaults anymore, and I don't think there's a ton of benefit to clearing Elf 1 and 2. The XP isn't great, and there's not much good loot, unless you are clearing HoB to find a better weapon.

For extended, just remember that Gargoyles are tough, but the small HP pool is dangerous against hellfire and torment - and you aren't going to be able to go TSO or Zin for post-game easy less hard mode. (I mean, you could, but Ash is generally regarded as having one of the worst wraths, and it throws off all of your skill planning).

Fake E: Also, get your piety back up and don't overuse scrying (and use transfer knowledge very sparingly). Although scrying is nice, you want Ash's passive skill bonuses.

Real E: Okay, you've only used transfer knowledge once, which is good. Still I might back off of the scrying a little bit.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Before I read this I picked up a great mace, enchanted it to +9, and cursed it. Except it was holy wrath.

I was thinking this would be good for all the places with demons and undead coming up but would it be better to just re-brand it and curse it?

I can also buy the Hat of Ponderousness, is this a good item? I'm so confused!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Ponderhat owns.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Aston posted:

Before I read this I picked up a great mace, enchanted it to +9, and cursed it. Except it was holy wrath.

I was thinking this would be good for all the places with demons and undead coming up but would it be better to just re-brand it and curse it?

I can also buy the Hat of Ponderousness, is this a good item? I'm so confused!

I generally think that with the Hat of Ponderousness, if you aren't sure it's the right choice, it's probably the wrong choice. The Holy Wrath GM will be great for extended, and great for Crypt. There are better brands for the rest of the game, including Zot. I would still be inclined to keep the +9 Holy Wrath GM, just because brand roulette could stick you with something you really don't want, like Venom.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
This was a horrible, brutal slog. I never want to see Pandemonium again. Also, I wish I'd played this online so there'd be an eternal record of this terrible idea, but to be fair I didn't think I'd survive long and just wanted to test it offline.

code:
3943 | D:4      | Became a worshipper of Beogh the Brigand
12676 | Lair:1   | Acquired Beogh's fifth power
28836 | D:4      | Fell from the grace of Beogh
28836 | D:4      | Became a worshipper of Trog the Wrathful
31146 | Lair:8   | Acquired Trog's third power
47817 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Trog
47817 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Warmaster Okawaru
54648 | Shoals:2 | Acquired Okawaru's second power
67421 | D:4      | Fell from the grace of Okawaru
67421 | D:4      | Became a worshipper of Makhleb the Destroyer
71943 | Vaults:3 | Acquired Makhleb's fifth power
74867 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Makhleb
74867 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Qazlal Stormbringer
82156 | Depths:5 | Acquired Qazlal's fifth power
87298 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Qazlal
87298 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Dithmenos the Shadowed
93368 | Hell     | Acquired Dithmenos' fourth power
95999 | Snake:1  | Fell from the grace of Dithmenos
95999 | Snake:1  | Became a worshipper of Fedhas Madash
101419 | Abyss:5  | Acquired Fedhas' fifth power
106400 | Depths:3 | Fell from the grace of Fedhas
106400 | Depths:3 | Became a worshipper of Sif Muna the Loreminder
108627 | Pan      | Acquired Sif Muna's third power
118609 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Sif Muna
118609 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Ashenzari the Shackled
122771 | Zig:5    | Acquired Ashenzari's fourth power
130958 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Ashenzari
130958 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Gozag Ym Sagoz the Greedy
141474 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Gozag
141474 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Yredelemnul the Dark
155848 | Zig:9    | Acquired Yredelemnul's fourth power
160827 | Lair:1   | Fell from the grace of Yredelemnul
160827 | Lair:1   | Became a worshipper of Kikubaaqudgha
166415 | Pan      | Acquired Kikubaaqudgha's fourth power
172074 | Snake:5  | Fell from the grace of Kikubaaqudgha
172074 | Snake:5  | Became a worshipper of Elyvilon the Healer
174441 | D:12     | Acquired Elyvilon's third power
176069 | Pan      | Pacified Chim Zek the pandemonium lord
179943 | Lair:7   | Fell from the grace of Elyvilon
179943 | Lair:7   | Became a worshipper of Jiyva Jeut the Shapeless
183591 | Pan      | Acquired Jiyva's fourth power
185904 | Depths:5 | Fell from the grace of Jiyva
185904 | Depths:5 | Became a worshipper of Lugonu the Unformed
188981 | Pan      | Acquired Lugonu's fifth power
198078 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Lugonu
198078 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Nemelex Xobeh the Trickster
208572 | Pan      | Acquired Nemelex Xobeh's third power
212713 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Nemelex Xobeh
212713 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Vehumet
216771 | Zig:8    | Acquired Vehumet's third power
227804 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Vehumet
227804 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Cheibriados the Contemplative
232261 | Pan      | Acquired Cheibriados' third power
233691 | Depths:1 | Escaped the Abyss
234073 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Cheibriados
235737 | Crypt:2  | Acquired the Shining One's fourth power
254935 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of the Shining One
254935 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Zin the Law-Giver
254935 | Temple   | Acquired Zin's fourth power
269274 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Zin
269274 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Ru the Awakened
270389 | Pan      | Acquired Ru's fifth power
277593 | Temple   | Fell from the grace of Ru
277593 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Xom of Chaos
282966 | Zot:5    | Got the Orb of Zot
282967 | Zot:5    | Fell from the grace of Xom
283866 | D:$      | Escaped with the Orb!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Vehu and Kiku don't have epithets?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Quick question: If I play a Sprint game and die, would that end my streak?
I don't think so, but wanted to make sure first.

Brannock posted:

Neither does Fedhas, unless "Madash" is his.

HisMajestyBOB fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 10, 2014

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
VsVM. Gets my first acquirement all game. Use it on a weapon, because a quickblade would be cool and good.

Got a hunting sling. :confused:

Then I realized that Ash boosted my sling skill to 2.3 even though I invested nothing at all in it. Acquirement does a lot of weird things(like the shield skill stats posted earlier), but I guess I should be watching out for Ash boosts too? I know it's not the scroll of Guaranteed Good Item, but that's not the sort of thing you think to watch out for.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Acquirement can give you completely unrelated weapons even without miniscule investment in their respective skills. There is almost nothing in this game that doesn't afford the chance to screw you over with disappointing returns.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
As someone who's won almost every single race in the game, how do you play as a felid properly?

I prefer defenses over offenses (and furthermore prefer AC over EV), hate kiting gameplay, dislike apts below 0, and don't like unarmed combat because in my opinion the damage output generally doesn't outweigh the drawbacks.

Felids can't wear armor and have worse HP than spriggans, basically have to kite whenever possible if using spells, have 0 or worse in almost every single aptitude, and for obvious reasons are forced into unarmed combat.

They're basically the race that most goes against how I tend to play, so I'm legit at a loss for how you're supposed to win.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

the Orb of Zot posted:

As someone who's won almost every single race in the game, how do you play as a felid properly?

I prefer defenses over offenses (and furthermore prefer AC over EV), hate kiting gameplay, dislike apts below 0, and don't like unarmed combat because in my opinion the damage output generally doesn't outweigh the drawbacks.

Felids can't wear armor and have worse HP than spriggans, basically have to kite whenever possible if using spells, have 0 or worse in almost every single aptitude, and for obvious reasons are forced into unarmed combat.

They're basically the race that most goes against how I tend to play, so I'm legit at a loss for how you're supposed to win.

Kiting gameplay. Luckily, kiting is incredibly strong!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

I'm legit at a loss for how you're supposed to win.

quote:

I'll take Answering Your Own Questions for 500, Alex.

(Just because you don't want to doesn't mean it's not the right way to play felid. It's like someone coming in here, saying they like tabby melee characters, and wondering how to win as a Deep Elf because they hate not being a tabby melee character.)

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

the Orb of Zot posted:

Well, if you're a Felid caster of sorts, you don't kite as much as you just nuke everything from a safe range, retreating if you risk running out of mana. It's certainly not as much kiting as you'd do with a centaur or something. The only time they'll have top tier AC is in statue form, and I wouldn't center a Felid game on finding it.

Basically do FeFE or something

apple fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 10, 2014

Chiminey
Sep 12, 2011

I started this run today thinking I was gonna mess around with a TrMo of Jivya, but I changed my mind when I got an early temple and decided to worship Chei. Then I got an early ponder hat and kinda just went to town. Finally got my first win.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15.0 (tiles) character file.

1730757 Marmalade Jallopsy the Wrestler (level 27, 158/299 (300) HPs)
             Began as a Troll Monk on Dec 9, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Dec 10, 2014!

The game lasted 05:28:44 (68275 turns).

Marmalade Jallopsy the Wrestler (Troll Monk)       Turns: 68275, Time: 05:28:44

HP 158/299 (300) AC 28     Str 40      XL: 27
MP  27/27        EV 25     Int 14 (19) God: Cheibriados [******]
Gold 3668        SH 15     Dex 42      Spells:  4 memorised, 18 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis .       - Unarmed
rCold  + + .     Clarity  +     J - +8 fire dragon armour
rNeg   + . .     rCorr    .     I - +0 shield
rPois  .         rRot     .     (helmet restricted)
rElec  +         Spirit   .     A - +1 cloak of the Amoeba {rElec MR++ Stlth+}
SustAb .         Warding  .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
Gourm  +                        n - amulet of the Four Winds {Clar rN+ MR+++}
MR     +++++                    r - ring "Kechij" {rC++ Dex+4}
                                a - ring "Zuomoab" {+cTele rF+ rC+}

@: mildly poisoned, drained, very slow, almost entirely resistant to hostile
enchantments, very unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, claws 3, iridescent scales 1, agile 1, deformed body,
deterioration 1, dopey 1, fast metabolism 3, gourmand, low mp 1, regeneration 2,
saprovore 2, shaggy fur 1, tough skin 2, weak 1, placid magic 2
a: Bend Time, Temporal Distortion, Slouch, Step From Time, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Teleport Control
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer

You escaped.
You worshipped Cheibriados.
Cheibriados was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm not looking forward to my felid 15 rune game. Felids are so boring to play on top of being really hard for me. Its just weird to play as a race that gives up so much in exchange for being able to die in a roguelike.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Stab dudes w/ your claws, then later cast at dudes with your paws.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

the Orb of Zot posted:

According to this commit, Felid claws are now short blade tier, while other mid tier weapons have dropped down to bottom tier. Unless there's some funky special casing (e.g. they get the percent damage bonus, but not the flat damage added before the multiplier) Felids might make decent stabbers now. Enchanter, especially, might be a nice start on account of the +4 hexes aptitudes.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Felids are so boring to play on top of being really hard for me.
At least they can use Wands now I guess, which makes them somewhat less boring.

Though they did lose their jump attack.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Haifisch posted:

VsVM. Gets my first acquirement all game. Use it on a weapon, because a quickblade would be cool and good.

Got a hunting sling. :confused:

Then I realized that Ash boosted my sling skill to 2.3 even though I invested nothing at all in it. Acquirement does a lot of weird things(like the shield skill stats posted earlier), but I guess I should be watching out for Ash boosts too? I know it's not the scroll of Guaranteed Good Item, but that's not the sort of thing you think to watch out for.
Ash skill boosts (and draining penalties, heroism and the like) don't affect acquirement in any way. Weapon acquirement is just really bad because anything other than "the best weapon you've seen all game" is likely to be worthless. The fact that you got something much worse than the best weapon you have is basically unimportant, except as a reminder that the god of acquirement hates you.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
The one situation where I consider Weapon Acquirement is if you Read ID acquirement REALLY early and you're playing a combat wombat and you don't plan on going either Trog or Oka, you'll usually get a higher tier weapon with a couple of +s that can feel like a HUGE power jump at that time even if it's mundane... especially if you're using something like Axes

Otherwise yeah go for Armor/Staff/Jewelery/Wand depending on what you feel like at the time.

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
code:
y - Onearchei's Almanac of Dhcmrlchtdj.
The name generation code is really grasping at straws now. I didn't think books could get the random garbage names.

It only has Mephitic Cloud in it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Well, I have to say "Dhcmrlchtdj" is probably an accurate representation of what you'd be thinking after a whiff.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Smash Daisaku posted:

The name generation code is really grasping at straws now. I didn't think books could get the random garbage names.

That's because it's not a random name.

(It's a reference to a Borges story, the Library of Babel.)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 10, 2014

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Quick question: If I play a Sprint game and die, would that end my streak?
I don't think so, but wanted to make sure first.

Sprints/Zot Defense are not tracked as part of your profile, so any wins/losses will not be recorded. Your streak is safe, so splat away!

It would be cool if a "Sprint High Scores" section was added though, showing your best score in each sprint.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You'd see that I wrecked the previous high score on meatsprint. :smug:

But it turns out I didn't max out the score by a wide margin. So anyone with a lot of time on their hands could easily repeat my effort.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

Yeah that's a little odd.

How about the Annihilator and the Wringer of Souls.

Also, what I learned from worshipping every god is that Gozag is loving terrible. I don't know, maybe you have to worship him from the start, but his bribe branch ability is pretty underwhelming. I panscummed to get enough money to try to bribe Dis, and on my bad rush to the 7th floor, a single rust devil decided to mercenary up with me and it promptly died. I didn't really try potion petition though, maybe that's his more useful power, but since Branch Bribe is his ultimate power, shouldn't it be more impressive? A simple mercenary card type effect with more money leading to a better mercenary would be more fun I think. Or maybe just a mercenary with better AI than "rush into melee range at the slightest disturbance."

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Gozag sucks. If chunks were removed he'd be better, though. And making shops appear on the spot.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

According to this commit, Felid claws are now short blade tier, while other mid tier weapons have dropped down to bottom tier. Unless there's some funky special casing (e.g. they get the percent damage bonus, but not the flat damage added before the multiplier) Felids might make decent stabbers now. Enchanter, especially, might be a nice start on account of the +4 hexes aptitudes.

Even with that Felids feel like second-hand Chinese knock-off pirated spriggans. Less HP, no armor at all, no dagger bonus for stabbing (although as you mentioned they did get buffed to short-blade effectiveness), worse apts...

I mean they aren't that terrible all things considered, even being an inferior spriggan is still well above average compared to most other species in the game, and extra lives are a really big safety net.

I'd honestly try FeEn if they hadn't stripped Invisibility out of the En starting book

Anyways, need some advice on my current FeIE

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/darkli/darkli.txt

I've managed to get lucky in regards to spellbooks and I was wondering which method to victory would be better:

1. Continue focusing on spellcasting to the exclusion of all else, hope for Vehumet to gift Glaciate, get it castable, beat game with it
2. Switch to a hybrid focusing on Ice Form + Ozo's armor to gain something resembling decent defenses, rely on unarmed combat to beat the game

I have good equipment for the latter, but the former seems to be the better option since felids have godawful HP no matter what.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Iceform + Ozo does not seem like a reliable strategy to me for taking on Zot: 5. It should get you up to Zot, though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You're with Vehumet, blaster mage god extraordinaire. You better believe you're casting magic at range with every single life you own.

EDIT: God, was I on crack when I wrote that?

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 11, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
gently caress. I've been in such a horrendously bad slump after ripping off 10 wins in 11 days. Took me 38 games to finally ascend Human.

code:
2998081 Brannock the Talismancer (level 27, 216/229 HPs)
             Began as a Human Fighter on Dec 10, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Zin.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on Dec 11, 2014!

The game lasted 04:10:22 (76208 turns).
I don't even feel particularly good about this win because I lucked out so hard on equipment that I would have been incredibly disappointed if I hadn't won. I'm not even counting my endgame gear as "lucky" -- most winners have a pretty impressive array of gear just from being able to gather so much loot. I found a plain eveningstar in Labyrinth and enchanted/branded it into a monster, found a fantastic randart shield on D:6 that I used all through the game, and got an early ring of +6 slaying that I eventually abandoned since it was giving me rFx and an absolutely incredible ring of rElec/rF++/rC++ all fairly early on.

Getting 27 in Evocations was pretty much a waste, I didn't really use my evocables much. I did manage to finally pull off the polymorph TRJ trick (along with polymorphing Dissolution!) so there's that. It wasn't like I was going to be able to cast anything meaningfully though and I didn't find any decent books.

Only six species left before greatplayer!

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

You're with Vehumet, blaster mage god extraordinaire. You better believe you're casting magic at range with every single life you own.

Took your advice, somehow still sitting on 2 spare lives with just Spider, Vaults:5, Depths:5, and Zot left to do.

On one hand, I'm XL23 and barely have over 100 HP.

On the other hand, Glaciate makes my defenses less relevant, and the Ice Form + Ozo's combo leaves my character feeling marginally less fragile than otherwise (31 AC/24 EV is pretty good for a felid last time I checked, and the 20% HP bonus makes me feel slightly less likely to die instantly).

Anyways, once I'm done grabbing the spider rune and head down for Vaults:5, how should I handle the starting ambush?

Should I try running past the vault guards and annihilating the ambush with Glaciate, or should I try to not wake the entire level up immediately and use Refrigeration to deal with the ambush instead?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

Getting 27 in Evocations was pretty much a waste, I didn't really use my evocables much.

Oh, yeah -- killing the Enchantress via slamming her into a wall repeatedly with Fan of Gales was really fantastic. Thanks to whoever decided to add that in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I honestly can't gauge when it's a good time to try and take Vaults 5.

• Locked thread