Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
More :stare: cruelty to literally helpless/begging thugs.

It was kinda creepy how he said "goodnight" before dropping a thug head head first off a 1-story drop onto solid concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Nalesh posted:

You'd imagine that cops would have basic trigger discipline.

It is hard to have trigger discipline when you aren't quite sure where the trigger is.

:ssh: and don't ask if he doesn't know where the trigger is then why did he pick it up in the first place.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fabricated posted:

It was kinda creepy how he said "goodnight" before dropping a thug head head first off a 1-story drop onto solid concrete.

I think we have firmly established that these thugs have very hard heads. ;)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I sympathize with the thug trying to defrost the GCPD door. With how often that other thug is bitching at him, I'd get stressed too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, I didn't see the floor below and thought "Holy poo poo!" before seeing it was a (comparatively) short drop. It is neat that they programmed a takedown like that.

I really liked the "wiping the blood from the last guy off" comment though. It seems like the kind of overexaggeration you use if you want to keep always making yourself scarier to the next thug.

I've never seen that Batcave map. Seems neat. Is there anyway you can check it out without being in an active challenge or do you just have to narrow it down to one TYGER and dodge him while you admire the scenery?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Here's a question. And the answer is probably "Rocksteady wasn't paying attention", but... How did Quincy Sharp end up Mayor and totally untouched by Batman, when Batman found proof and such that Sharp was the Spirit of Arkham in AA and admitted to all sorts of crimes? Even if Batman didn't have proof of those, Sharp was nuts, he wouldn't stop with just what he did. He'd do something else he coulda gotten arrested over by now.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

rotinaj posted:

Here's a question. And the answer is probably "Rocksteady wasn't paying attention", but... How did Quincy Sharp end up Mayor and totally untouched by Batman, when Batman found proof and such that Sharp was the Spirit of Arkham in AA and admitted to all sorts of crimes? Even if Batman didn't have proof of those, Sharp was nuts, he wouldn't stop with just what he did. He'd do something else he coulda gotten arrested over by now.

The same way Luthor ended up president. Because comics

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

rotinaj posted:

This will be answered ingame.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Well, what if the player didn't play the last game, or didn't finish that part of the last game? They'd have no idea what it meant.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Night10194 posted:

Yes, Batman has clearly solved all of Gotham's problems during his own long career, too.

Well, he did at least manage to get Jim Gordon, the only honest cop in Gotham, to be police comissioner, and start cleaning up the GCPD. He also helped Harvey Dent, back when he was district attorney, to take on the heads of the Falcone and Maroni crime families.

There was a kinda neat story from Final Crisis, where we see what would've happened if Bruce's parents didn't die: he became a timid surgeon (think Clark Kent), and his rogues gallery did a lot more damage, since the police found it very hard to stop them.

Night10194 posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is I feel they showed Ra's works well as the 'dark reflection' archetype because he represents someone Bruce is only a couple inches from becoming, held back mostly by what little self-awareness he still has.

Yeah, I get it. That restraint is what makes Batman who he is, the guy who is always looking for a better way to do things, no matter the sacrifices he must do.

rotinaj posted:

"Why, those are the ramblings of a deranged inmate who both believes he's me and hates my guts! I'd let you see him for yourself, but we have to keep him heavily sedated to prevent his most violent outbursts".

It's not like being a bit crazy/criminal has stopped people in the real world from becoming political figureheads, so it is not the most incredible thing that Sharpe ended as mayor. Also, what others said about new players having no idea about those extra bits of info.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Kal-L posted:

"Why, those are the ramblings of a deranged inmate who both believes he's me and hates my guts! I'd let you see him for yourself, but we have to keep him heavily sedated to prevent his most violent outbursts".

It's not like being a bit crazy/criminal has stopped people in the real world from becoming political figureheads, so it is not the most incredible thing that Sharpe ended as mayor. Also, what others said about new players having no idea about those extra bits of info.

On an interesting note, the Arkham City Story for Aaron Cash points out that Batman isn't the only one who has seen Sharp's nutty side.

But who's going to listen to a prison guard who let a riot happen?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

rotinaj posted:

Batman had to decode the Spirit of Arkham things, so it's not like anybody else could read them and figure out what was going on, and Batman is juuust a bit closemouthed when it comes to mentioning these little things to people in authority. There's also the fact Sharp just admitted to being a front man for Strange, AKA the guy who plays with minds like they're tinker toys, who's to say Strange couldn't just brainwash anybody who did investigate? For that matter, Quincy might never have actually BEEN the Spirit of Arkham and Strange just brainwashed him into thinking he was, in which case Sharp will probably have an airtight alibi for at least some of the stuff mentioned because he wasn't actually there. The latter actually seems more likely to me since I doubt Strange would have been able to count on the warden being a nutcase he could manipulate after all. Or at least if Sharp was killing or trying to kill people in the Asylum Strange probably helped twist him over the line to that.

Night10194 posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is I feel they showed Ra's works well as the 'dark reflection' archetype because he represents someone Bruce is only a couple inches from becoming, held back mostly by what little self-awareness he still has.

Pretty much all of Batman's villains, at least the iconic ones, go for the "dark reflection" setup. Most of them are of the "one bad day" type where they had a tragedy occur that broke them in some way, and the exceptions tend to mirror some other feature of Batman/Bruce Wayne. Penguin's probably a reflection of Bruce's wealth (in this case turned purely to selfish gratification), Riddler a twisted version of the "world's greatest detective", Scarecrow as a foil to Batman using fear as a weapon himself and how fear shapes Batman himself, and so on.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MadDogMike posted:

Batman had to decode the Spirit of Arkham things, so it's not like anybody else could read them and figure out what was going on, and Batman is juuust a bit closemouthed when it comes to mentioning these little things to people in authority. There's also the fact Sharp just admitted to being a front man for Strange, AKA the guy who plays with minds like they're tinker toys, who's to say Strange couldn't just brainwash anybody who did investigate? For that matter, Quincy might never have actually BEEN the Spirit of Arkham and Strange just brainwashed him into thinking he was, in which case Sharp will probably have an airtight alibi for at least some of the stuff mentioned because he wasn't actually there. The latter actually seems more likely to me since I doubt Strange would have been able to count on the warden being a nutcase he could manipulate after all. Or at least if Sharp was killing or trying to kill people in the Asylum Strange probably helped twist him over the line to that.

Pretty much all of Batman's villains, at least the iconic ones, go for the "dark reflection" setup. Most of them are of the "one bad day" type where they had a tragedy occur that broke them in some way, and the exceptions tend to mirror some other feature of Batman/Bruce Wayne. Penguin's probably a reflection of Bruce's wealth (in this case turned purely to selfish gratification), Riddler a twisted version of the "world's greatest detective", Scarecrow as a foil to Batman using fear as a weapon himself and how fear shapes Batman himself, and so on.

Penguin is most definitly a reflection of the wealth. They are both members of important Gotham Families, both of them lost their parents, both live the lifestyle of the wealthy, it's just that Batman as Bruce Wayne does it by living the celebrity lifestyle while Cobblepot is more oldschool with it.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

This is why batman will always be my favorite superhero because it tackles the inner psyche and projection. To me that always spoke louder than the gadgets or the moniker. It was simply a very interesting view of battling inner demons.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kal-L posted:

Well, he did at least manage to get Jim Gordon, the only honest cop in Gotham, to be police comissioner, and start cleaning up the GCPD. He also helped Harvey Dent, back when he was district attorney, to take on the heads of the Falcone and Maroni crime families.

There was a kinda neat story from Final Crisis, where we see what would've happened if Bruce's parents didn't die: he became a timid surgeon (think Clark Kent), and his rogues gallery did a lot more damage, since the police found it very hard to stop them.
I can't help but think that if there was no Batman... well, there'd probably still be SOME crazy super-psychopaths in Gotham, guys like Zsasz would have existed regardless of Badman. But it probably would have been more of a case of "organized crime run amok" than "supervillains running unchecked", because the personality of Batman kind of attracts the insane personalities of his rogues.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, most of Batman's villains were already involved in criminal activity before they even met him and only really advanced to their supercriminal personas in response to his clothing. The only thing they can blame Batman for is their colorful costumes.

And not all of them can even say that. Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Bane, etc. would've all ended up being who they were regardless.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm pretty sure an episode of Batman TAS dealt with that very issue, and the answer was, Batman had very little to do with the Rogue's Gallery becoming the freaks they are.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It also helps that most of the villains only met Batman in TAS in the middle of their first crimes.

I mean, Joker was a mob hitman, Two-Face had multiple personality disorder, etc.

Really, practically every villain in TAS donned their costume before they met Batman.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dscruffy1, sorry dude, I haven't even watched one of your videos. I've been going through the thread and just got to the end because wow all this Batman talk from actual people is way more interesting than trying to figure it out on my own by going to a wiki or something. Is the Batman thread in BSS as interesting or is it mostly people who've bought the new comic and talking with other people who've done the same?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Dscruffy1, sorry dude, I haven't even watched one of your videos. I've been going through the thread and just got to the end because wow all this Batman talk from actual people is way more interesting than trying to figure it out on my own by going to a wiki or something. Is the Batman thread in BSS as interesting or is it mostly people who've bought the new comic and talking with other people who've done the same?

Usually it's just people talking about the recent comics but they'll totally talk general stuff at the drop of a hat if you just post there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Usually it's just people talking about the recent comics but they'll totally talk general stuff at the drop of a hat if you just post there.

Oh cool. Now if my general knowledge of Batman wasn't these games The Batman, Batman: Brave and the Bold [The best one for tone] and Batman Beyond, I'd totally go say something. Actually, I think I might have a good idea. Thanks for the heads up!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Y'know, I've always wondered why people ask 'Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker?' instead of 'Why haven't the courts that Batman repeatedly dumps the Joker into sentenced him to death yet?'

Thats a much more worrying question in my mind.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Y'know, I've always wondered why people ask 'Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker?' instead of 'Why haven't the courts that Batman repeatedly dumps the Joker into sentenced him to death yet?'

Democrats:argh:

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

There was actually a special on... I believe the History Channel about this whole thing. I'd have to dig it up, but I distinctly remember them going over most of the iconic Rogue's Gallery and talking about how they're similar to Batman, but just took a different path.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Because he's clearly insane, and sentencing an insane person to death might set a bad precedent? It would be a slippery slope where any mentally unstable person might find themselves sentenced to death automatically just because "They could be the next Joker!"

There was the Devil's Advocate one-shot where Joker does get sentenced to death, but the district attorney at the beginning said it was going to be a longshot, because of his insanity defense.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kal-L posted:

Because he's clearly insane, and sentencing an insane person to death might set a bad precedent? It would be a slippery slope where any mentally unstable person might find themselves sentenced to death automatically just because "They could be the next Joker!"

There was the Devil's Advocate one-shot where Joker does get sentenced to death, but the district attorney at the beginning said it was going to be a longshot, because of his insanity defense.

Heh, yeah a slippery slope of 'Man, if you start sending people responsible for over five thousand deaths, then what's to stop them from cracking down on criminals one their kill count crests over a thousand!?' D:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Heh, yeah a slippery slope of 'Man, if you start sending people responsible for over five thousand deaths, then what's to stop them from cracking down on criminals one their kill count crests over a thousand!?' D:

That's a good point. It also begs the question of "Why the hell any of the DC anti-heros haven't put down the Joker for good?" And the answer would be, because then Batman would chase you and beat you down. But then the same lenient courts would let you go with a slap on the wrist and a high-five from everyone in the room.

And I swear Shortpacked has a Batman strip for everything. :allears:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it's better than the regular schlock Willis puts out, but that's not saying a whole lot

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Or even just someplace more secure than loving Arkham Asylum, whose 'Days since last mass riot/escape' counter never reaches 1.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Night10194 posted:

Or even just someplace more secure than loving Arkham Asylum, whose 'Days since last mass riot/escape' counter never reaches 1.

the legitimate answer is because nothing works. They shipped criminals off-planet and they managed to get back.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, yes, I know, comic books and the futility of any form of finality and all.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

You both are forgetting that there have been no escapes so far from Arkham City. Hugo Strange has triumphed where the Batman could not! :smug:

Edit: Well, I stand corrected. Still, just one escape from all the crazies inside is impressive.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 10, 2014

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Kal-L posted:

You both are forgetting that there have been no escapes so far from Arkham City. Hugo Strange has triumphed where the Batman could not! :smug:

Well.

Black Mask

No one escaped from Arkham City for long.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Kal-L posted:

This is kind of pointless discussion, but he's not legally insane. The tests for legal insanity are kind of weird, and I'm not a criminal lawyer by any means (Though someone who is will probably define this later) but as far as I understand it, to be declared legally insane, you have to be able to show that you were not aware your actions were 'wrong'. The Joker does plenty of things to show he's aware what he's doing is wrong. He hides from the police, he taunts Batman, he disguises himself, exc. So it would be a hard sell to convince a jury that he's not aware that the crimes he commits are wrong, legally. Simply lacking empathy and not caring isn't enough to get you an insanity defense.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

GilliamYaeger posted:

The DC universe is apparently the most liberal universe ever and never executes anyone ever.

Like, accepting that which I think maaaybe I can wrap my head around given that I could see the less morally grey heroes like Superman being skeeved out by the government executing supervillains because they're "dangerous".

My question is: Why keep them all in one place?

Given the poo poo that most villains pull after breaking out a zillion times it would make a bit of sense to kinda split them up over various max-security prisons or facilities. At least that way if they bust out they aren't letting out an entire zoo's worth of superpowered crazies.

Gothsheep posted:

This is kind of pointless discussion, but he's not legally insane. The tests for legal insanity are kind of weird, and I'm not a criminal lawyer by any means (Though someone who is will probably define this later) but as far as I understand it, to be declared legally insane, you have to be able to show that you were not aware your actions were 'wrong'. The Joker does plenty of things to show he's aware what he's doing is wrong. He hides from the police, he taunts Batman, he disguises himself, exc. So it would be a hard sell to convince a jury that he's not aware that the crimes he commits are wrong, legally. Simply lacking empathy and not caring isn't enough to get you an insanity defense.
I can't remember where it's from but IIRC one guy who wrote Joker basically states that not only is Joker not insane, he's so sane he has basically "super sanity". He literally realizes he's in a comic book and just does not give a poo poo anymore.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 10, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I miss Joker directly referencing his comic book character status and seizing control of the letters page. (:ssh: I was not old enough to read when that stuff was going on)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

The legal justice system in Gotham is really stupid, from what I can tell.

There's a comic about the Mad Hatter trying to reform, only to become completely obsessed with this blonde and kidnapping her and drugging her to be Alice. And then he tries to kill her because her name is wrong. Batman shows up to stop him and the Mad Hatter tries to run away, but he ends up opening his closet door instead of the front door and out come the bodies of several other blondes he's killed.

Naturally, one of the officers who's nearby when he's arrested is a blonde woman, starting his obsession anew. :shepface:

dscruffy1 posted:

No one escaped from Arkham City for long.

Aside from Robin. :v:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

The in-universe explanation as to why Batman doesn't just kill all his supervillains is the Justice Lords thing. Apparently all of DCs superheroes lack self control when it comes to murder and once they start killing (or lobotomizing) supervillains, it all ends in world domination.

As to why the legal system doesn't take them out, well. That's uh, that's gonna come up in this game actually.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
All this law talk reminds me of the crossover between Batman and Judge Dredd, the first one, Bats ended up in Mega City One due to a dimensional teleporter incident involving Mean Machine Angel, Bats then saw someone committing a crime in the Big Meg and swooped down to help, Dredd was nearby since he was after Angel and came down on Bats like a tonne of bricks.

See, vigilantism is illegal in Mega City One, there's been many a tale of what happens to people who try it, it doesn't end well for the vigilante, poor old Batman ends up in Judge custody, mask removed and being interrogated personally by an angry Dredd.

It ends alright though as Anderson (Psi-Judge) eventually steps in and informs Dredd of the situation, and he's very unhappy to have to let Bats go, also Judge Death is involved and he meets the Scarecrow who fear gasses him into obedience.

Death's personal nightmares are plush toys and teddy bears by the way. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Batman didn't even escape the law. In a future crossover Judge Dredd comes back to the past and beats up batman to conpensate for the fact that he didn't end up in prison.

• Locked thread