Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, I know what game DOESN'T look good on a big screen, and that's Valkyria Chronicles 3. Maybe most other 3d PSP games too, but I actually don't have very many of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I know what game DOESN'T look good on a big screen, and that's Valkyria Chronicles 3. Maybe most other 3d PSP games too, but I actually don't have very many of those.

VC3 looks great on PPSSPP but that's because that emulator allows like 16x AA and basically all the bells and whistles that make it like low-power PS3 at times.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay, I'm on mission 3 of Ibis's campaign on Alpha 2 and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. To get the skill point I need to clear it by the end of the 6th turn, but I just can't seem to do that without either losing someone or timing out. I feel like this is a 'learn to play' moment but I'm totally stumped. Is there some core mechanic I'm ignoring? It's not like I have a huge number of options to go with here, it's a pretty straightforward battle. It just seems difficult to get through all the grunts and then take out the boss squad without him countering down at least one of my folks. Plus I don't have very deep SP pools to work with.

I just don't get it, but at least it's short so I guess I'll just keep trying until something clicks. Is the rest of the game going to be like this? Does it get easier? Or harder?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Getsuya posted:

Okay, I'm on mission 3 of Ibis's campaign on Alpha 2 and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. To get the skill point I need to clear it by the end of the 6th turn, but I just can't seem to do that without either losing someone or timing out. I feel like this is a 'learn to play' moment but I'm totally stumped. Is there some core mechanic I'm ignoring? It's not like I have a huge number of options to go with here, it's a pretty straightforward battle. It just seems difficult to get through all the grunts and then take out the boss squad without him countering down at least one of my folks. Plus I don't have very deep SP pools to work with.

I just don't get it, but at least it's short so I guess I'll just keep trying until something clicks. Is the rest of the game going to be like this? Does it get easier? Or harder?
Given that I played that game literally a decade ago I can't remember the exact situation, but in general on "finish in x turns" stages, your goal is to damage, but not finish off, each enemy during your turn. That way, when they attack during their turn, your counterattack will kill them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Some minor new info on Gundam Breaker 2: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/971/971499/

Nothing too new, confirms two new melee weapon types that we saw in the PV (claw and twin sword) and shows off a couple of units. Most important thing is the fact that motherfucking Pale Rider is in this! This is interesting to very few people, but to me, it's absolutely amazing news.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Given that I played that game literally a decade ago I can't remember the exact situation, but in general on "finish in x turns" stages, your goal is to damage, but not finish off, each enemy during your turn. That way, when they attack during their turn, your counterattack will kill them.

That helped, though in this case the specific thing I was doing wrong was not attacking the boss quickly enough. I tended to leave him until I had cleared off all the grunts, which took a few turns, and I didn't realize that the reinforcements showing up were tied to attacking him. I thought it was just automatically scripted to halfway through the battle. Once I got the reinforcements going earlier it was easy to clear them up and then use my own reinforcements to take down the boss.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Getsuya posted:

That helped, though in this case the specific thing I was doing wrong was not attacking the boss quickly enough. I tended to leave him until I had cleared off all the grunts, which took a few turns, and I didn't realize that the reinforcements showing up were tied to attacking him. I thought it was just automatically scripted to halfway through the battle. Once I got the reinforcements going earlier it was easy to clear them up and then use my own reinforcements to take down the boss.
Oh yeah, that too. Given that normal enemies can be trusted to kill themselves just from attacking you during their turn, you should concentrate a certain amount of fire on the boss during your turn.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

The what thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3628831

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
You had ONE JOB!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

He looks genuinely confounded at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I am hype. Hurry up already, magical robot man, lower your last finger.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm keeping my expectations down in order to prevent disappointment. Only things I really want to see absolutely confirmed are FMP Sigma and Diebuster. Please have Diebuster. I want to believe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, I wondered if it was some kind of stroke-induced typo of psp. Or maybe like Nonoriri, psp filtered through ten thousand years.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
just give me zz

please

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

One day I'd like SDF Macross back.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I am far more greedy. Give me all of Gaogaigar, even Betterman and the unproduced sequel.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rinne no lagrange wait where did these crickets and that tumbleweed come from

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I want to see some surprise obscure OVAs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

rinne no lagrange wait where did these crickets and that tumbleweed come from

Xenoglossia WHEN?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Bring back Megazone 23.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

In this, a post-Miku world, Xenoglossia is downright possible.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Exaxxion and Project A-ko :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'll take one order of Gun x Sword, please. Thank you kindly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Give me Bonestorm Da Garn or go to hell.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pa... Pacific Rim?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TARDISman posted:

Pa... Pacific Rim?
Sword: atk 5600 hit +15 critical +20 130 morale

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Is there any single route in Alpha 2 that is more 'canon' or just better than the others? It's crazy how they have four full routes, and I feel bad because I don't tend to replay games so I'm probably only going to see one of the routes ever. I picked Ibis first because I know her and Tsugumi from the OG games and I liked them in those, but I'm not too far in now to turn back and start over if there's one route that is just head and shoulders better or more important than the rest.

Edit: Also Escaflowne please and thanks.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Is there any single route in Alpha 2 that is more 'canon' or just better than the others? It's crazy how they have four full routes, and I feel bad because I don't tend to replay games so I'm probably only going to see one of the routes ever. I picked Ibis first because I know her and Tsugumi from the OG games and I liked them in those, but I'm not too far in now to turn back and start over if there's one route that is just head and shoulders better or more important than the rest.

Probably Kusuha/Burrito, since they're 'the main characters' of the Alpha trilogy. Or just go with whoever you think is coolest, I don't think it really matters.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Getsuya posted:

Sort of. The routes all continue through Alpha 3. The correct answer is probably the bits and pieces of all of them that have been incorporated into OGs, such as Ibis getting Irui's pendant.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
See every ending of Alpha 3, especially the Ideon ending if you want to see literally the most depressing loving thing I have seen in a video game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

The most 'canonical' route is Kusuha who is the only protagonist to follow through on full protagonist status for the next game and who kind of makes the most sense from a plot perspective.

However every route is canon. In SRWA3 each of the four protagonists follows from an existing route. (Arado -> Cobray, Ibis -> Selena, Sanger -> Touma and Kusuha -> Kusuha.) Cobray and Kusuha fit the best with the overall plot. Touma is fun but not really sensible as a main character. (His rivalry with Baran Doban is kinda more fitting for him than giant cosmic stuff.) However Touma can kind of just sit out the game and his rivalry gets picked up by Sanger, who appears on every route no matter what. Selena just doesn't make much sense as a protagonist for the final game at all, unfortunately.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 11, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sword: atk 5600 hit +15 critical +20 130 morale

Acceptable. As long as the chest laser is stronger because chest laser.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Pacific Rim is totally gonna be in a SRW game some day. One of those B-team 3DS ones where the roster is full of weird experimental poo poo or just plain bad like UX, but it'll be there. It'll be sweet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Pacific Rim is totally gonna be in a SRW game some day. One of those B-team 3DS ones where the roster is full of weird experimental poo poo or just plain bad like UX, but it'll be there. It'll be sweet.

Pacific Rim confirmed for OE2 as DLC.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
2 spirit pools per jaeger, the sync thing from Aquarion (or another gimmick) and probably A ranking underwater? Hell yeah.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

2 spirit pools per jaeger, the sync thing from Aquarion (or another gimmick) and probably A ranking underwater? Hell yeah.

Finally, it's Getter 3's time to shine! :getin:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Policenaut posted:

One day I'd like SDF Macross back.

Me too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2arSJX6l7ys

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TARDISman posted:

Stick it with Gargantia and Lagrange for a super wet world. We did it, Getter 3 is ready to rock.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Policenaut posted:

just plain bad like UX
WHOA! I must have misheard you over all the Demonbane, SD Gundam 3 Kingdoms, Dunbine, Tobikage, Fafnir and Linebarrels manga going on.

TARDISman posted:

Monkey's Paw:
Getter-3 will be delegated to every path split that does not involve Pacific Rim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Davzz posted:

WHOA! I must have misheard you over all the Demonbane, SD Gundam 3 Kingdoms, Dunbine, Fafnir and Linebarrels manga going on.

Monkey's Paw:
Getter-3 will be delegated to every path split that does not involve Pacific Rim.

That loving Monkey's Paw!

• Locked thread