Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I always thought pensions didn't return any money you paid unless you stayed until retirement. Sounds a lot like the 401k I already have so I will be sure to ask about the details before making a decision. Thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Zero VGS posted:

Honestly I should found an IT company that just hires coders to script workarounds for the limitations on free software.
https://www.redhat.com

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

All I see there is marketing mumbo-jumbo. The one thing I can understand, "Minimized Vendor Lock-in" sounds nice, but I get the feeling I'd just be locked in to RedHat by that point.

They need to make it like, a list of software with bullet points on each feature they can replicate or limitation they can circumvent. Or at least some testimonials [edit: found some]

What kind of supersmarty is supposed to go to a website like that and go "Oh great, I know exactly what to do with this!"

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Zero VGS posted:

All I see there is marketing mumbo-jumbo. The one thing I can understand, "Minimized Vendor Lock-in" sounds nice, but I get the feeling I'd just be locked in to RedHat by that point.

They need to make it like, a list of software with bullet points on each feature they can replicate or limitation they can circumvent. Or at least some testimonials [edit: found some]

What kind of supersmarty is supposed to go to a website like that and go "Oh great, I know exactly what to do with this!"

The new website is terrible and I haven't figured out how to get to a lot of things yet, but I really hope this is trolling.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

evol262 posted:

The new website is terrible and I haven't figured out how to get to a lot of things yet, but I really hope this is trolling.

*CEO wipes daughter's apple sauce off iPad screen* ah yes, this is the Linux I have been hearing about

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Corporate intra/extra/whatever-nets have always been extremely complicated but Redhats seems pretty decent compared to others.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

evol262 posted:

Half trolling, our company's website reads like that too and I loving hate it. I can't be the only IT guy who's eyes glaze over when I read that.

To be fair I've done mostly nothing but Windows for a decade but still I shouldn't need a thesaurus to figure out what it is they're trying to sell me on that site.

Edit: This is a thousand times better than trying to figure out what OpenStack is by reading their website, I should have gone here first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStack

Edit 2, whups, that's OpenStack. The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenShift wiki still is a word salad.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 10, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
In a near-:yotj: event for me, I think I might be getting a spare Steelcase Leap chair at work.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

In a near-:yotj: event for me, I think I might be getting a spare Steelcase Leap chair at work.

Is this like when laid-off workers all raided their failed startup companies' Herman Miller Aeron chairs back in 2000?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Corporate intra/extra/whatever-nets have always been extremely complicated but Redhats seems pretty decent compared to others.

I guess I'm just used to the old access.redhat.com, and I can't find anything (like registered systems through RHN classic) on this one, but it's probably objectively better, just takes some relearning.

Zero VGS posted:

Half trolling, our company's website reads like that too and I loving hate it. I can't be the only IT guy who's eyes glaze over when I read that.

To be fair I've done mostly nothing but Windows for a decade but still I shouldn't need a thesaurus to figure out what it is they're trying to sell me on that site.

Edit: This is a thousand times better than trying to figure out what OpenStack is by reading their website, I should have gone here first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStack

Edit 2, whups, that's OpenStack. The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenShift wiki still is a word salad.

We're a Fortune 500 company which productizes and sells Linux (and JBoss), as well as various upstream products. Openstack is confusing if you're not familiar with cloud concepts, or private cloud, or anything. Openstack is just a mess, and somewhere on here I have a long description of what every component does (as of Havana, which is about a year old).

Openshift is PaaS, similar to Heroku or some of Joyent's offerings. Worry about applications, not administration.

We also market systems orchestration software, and hybrid cloud management, and a sort-of competitor to VMware, and consulting for businesses who wanna use Linux or generally need help, and a distributed filesystem, and...

It's hard to find what they're trying to sell you because we are a Linux company (in many senses the enterprise Linux company, where Oracle broadly reuses our work and SuSE's marketshare in the US outside of appliances is so-so). If you know what Linux is, you know what Red Hat is, generally, and it doesn't need any explanation.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Is this like when laid-off workers all raided their failed startup companies' Herman Miller Aeron chairs back in 2000?

They built a huge addition to my department, and stocked most of the offices with Leaps. Lots of people in the old wing moved over to the new wing, and some wanted to bring their crappy chairs with them for reasons unknown to me. One of the facilities guys who manages all that knew I wanted one and said he thinks he has a spare that no one wants.

So... almost.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

For the price of 2 cases of beer, one for my buddy with a pickup and one for the office manager, we hauled off about 30 of those beautiful black beasts. Office manager plowed through half of the case right there in the parking lot while he watched us load.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MagnumOpus posted:

For the price of 2 cases of beer, one for my buddy with a pickup and one for the office manager, we hauled off about 30 of those beautiful black beasts. Office manager plowed through half of the case right there in the parking lot while he watched us load.

Haha, a friend of mine got laid off a few years ago and looted a dozen IPS monitors and gave them to all his buddies. The office manager called him and was like yeah I know we're going out of business but we saw you on camera and you gotta do the walk of shame to put them all back or we'll arrest you.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Haha, a friend of mine got laid off a few years ago and looted a dozen IPS monitors and gave them to all his buddies. The office manager called him and was like yeah I know we're going out of business but we saw you on camera and you gotta do the walk of shame to put them all back or we'll arrest you.

In our case the whole company had woken up to "don't come into the office today" emails. My roomate/coworker and I only knew that there were going to be no further emails because we called the office manager to find out what was going on. It turned out that the idiot silver spoon COO was so incompetent that he needed the office manager to book the ticket for his plane out of the country. This was the same asshat that shot down our moving to a much better facility a year earlier because our Tribeca location was two blocks away from his condo.

So the office manager was more than happy to oblige us. Shitlord COO's last words to him were "turn off everything in the office" and he took some creative license to include all the security gear.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MagnumOpus posted:

In our case the whole company had woken up to "don't come into the office today" emails. My roomate/coworker and I only knew that there were going to be no further emails because we called the office manager to find out what was going on. It turned out that the idiot silver spoon COO was so incompetent that he needed the office manager to book the ticket for his plane out of the country. This was the same asshat that shot down our moving to a much better facility a year earlier because our Tribeca location was two blocks away from his condo.

So the office manager was more than happy to oblige us. Shitlord COO's last words to him were "turn off everything in the office" and he took some creative license to include all the security gear.

Leaving the country as in stealing money from the company and leaving to a country that won't extradite for financial crimes?

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Leaving the country as in stealing money from the company and leaving to a country that won't extradite for financial crimes?

Sadly I think it was just to party while everyone else cleaned up the mess. Last time I checked some years back the same crew of professional nepotists that made up our c-levels were wasting someone else's money running the same hustle. If your daddy is the right guy there's no direction to fail but up.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

Openstack is confusing if you're not familiar with cloud concepts, or private cloud, or anything.

I think the easiest way to explain Openstack is your own Azure, AWS, etc that you host.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

I think the easiest way to explain Openstack is your own Azure, AWS, etc that you host.

Well, sure. And Eucalyptus aims to match AWS 1:1, but...

It's hard because Openstack is a whole bunch of projects under the same umbrella, but only keystone is really required. Then you can try to explain how Cinder, Glance, Neutron, etc match up against S3 and AMIs and AWS's private networking. But if you're not familiar with how any cloud product works other than thinking "cloud" is nothing but a buzzword, it can be confusing as hell trying to figure out what the hell "Nova" is or how "Openstack compute" differs from Openstack and why it needs to be a separate service, without even going into why you may want a private cloud instead of just using AWS/Azure/Rackspace/etc.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I had to explain the concept of Openstack/elastic computing to the old greybeard teaching my sourcefire class today. He had no idea that such wizardry was possible.

e: Datacenter IT is so loving different from normal IT that you really have to work in one or be intimately involved in one to understand what the hell is going on.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 11, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the best explanation for OpenStack?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

psydude posted:

e: Datacenter IT is so loving different from normal IT that you really have to work in one or be intimately involved in one to understand what the hell is going on.

Yeah, I'm pretty vanilla IT, and the little I know about how big datacenters function -conceptually alone- makes me go :aaa:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

What's the best explanation for OpenStack?

"running your own in-house AWS".

I think what evol is getting at is that it's made up of a bunch of semi-independent projects all under the OpenStack umbrella. So one company might only run Swift object storage while another runs Nova + Neutron + Glance + Cinder (which basically add up to Amazon EC2). Still another might use Neutron to do fancy SDN stuff for their bare metal servers but not manage them with Nova. And yet all of them are "running OpenStack" and "have a private cloud".

But really that's no different than AWS. It's entirely possible to be an AWS customer that only uses S3, or EC2, or any of their 7127381723 other products. You're still "running on AWS" and "in the cloud" no matter which products you choose off the menu. OpenStack and AWS are both giving you API's that let you provision and manage resources (compute, network, storage). It's just that OpenStack's API endpoints are in your datacenter whereas Amazon's are at, well, Amazon.

Sorry for the gratuitous use of quotes. I may have a :airquote: problem :airquote:.

fake edit: I am so thankful I stumbled into data center IT / web operations. It's 10000x more interesting to me than corporate IT ever was. Not knocking either one, I'm sure there are folks who are just as passionate about managing AD and Exchange as I am about cloud computing and infrastructure-as-code. It just tickles my fancy more personally.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 11, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

"running your own in-house AWS".

I think what evol is getting at is that it's made up of a bunch of semi-independent projects all under the OpenStack umbrella. So one company might only run Swift object storage while another runs Nova + Neutron + Glance + Cinder (which basically add up to Amazon EC2). Still another might use Neutron to do fancy SDN stuff for their bare metal servers but not manage them with Nova. And yet all of them are "running OpenStack" and "have a private cloud".

That's kinda the crux of it, yeah. Also that I'm not sure whether or not the kind of customers/whatever who look at it and say "what's openstack" can cogently answer "what's ec2"?

Explaining FOOaaS or cattle vms as virt and horizontal scaling through software load balancing with message queues and distributed key-value stores and on-demand/elastic scaling and all the rest makes explaining what openstack (or ec2 or GCE or whatever) is, how it differs from traditional virt, and when you'd wanna use it is really hard to put on your front page.

"What's openstack?", as you said, varies a lot from customer to customer.

Docjowles posted:

fake edit: I am so thankful I stumbled into data center IT / web operations. It's 10000x more interesting to me than corporate IT ever was. Not knocking either one, I'm sure there are folks who are just as passionate about managing AD and Exchange as I am about cloud computing and infrastructure-as-code. It just tickles my fancy more personally.
Even though I'm on the development side of datacenter IT now, I couldn't agree more. AD is awesome and everything, and there's a ton of depth in a lot of corporate products, but I'm glad I lucked into a different set of problems

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So how much of a trap do you think this job would be?

quote:

Dev Ops Systems Engineer

Responsibilities:
The main responsibilities for this candidate will be to create a rock solid and flexible infrastructure to support our growing Internet-facing and in-studio applications. You'll be comfortable using automation to deploy web applications in a virtualized environment, and you'll be familiar with other portions of the system stack including nginx, apache, memcache, MySQL, and redis. You'll think automation first and manual second. A successful candidate will need to possess discipline to build platforms and services that will live on for a long time. This individual must be comfortable in a team environment and be willing to handle IT tasks from top to bottom (you'll build up our online presence and run the cabling to do it). The candidate should be a self-starter with the ability to complete tasks without a great deal of hand-holding. This position will require you to carry a mobile device and participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation.
Qualifications:
Bachelor¹s degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent training and professional experience
A strong foundation in systems administration/DevOps
Proven experience with Linux, including command line tools and common applications, and at least one scripting language (bash, Perl, Python)
Deployment and support experience with applications in a cloud environment, such as Amazon Web Services
Comfort with configuration and deployment tools such as Puppet, Chef, and Capistrano, and the depth of Ruby/Rails knowledge to develop within these tools
Familiarity with Perforce, Git, or similar versioning software
Hands-on, “get it done” attitude
Work well as part of a team in a fun, fast-paced environment
Bonus points for having knowledge or skills in the following technologies:
Monitoring (Zenoss, Nagios, or similar)
Databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, RDS, NoSQL databases)
Messaging and Queuing (ActiveMQ or RabbitMQ)
TCP/IP networking
PHP or Java
C or C++
Consumption or development of RESTful services and APIs
What you might work on:
Building systems and applications that work in the cloud
Building systems and applications that live on indefinitely
Building tools to support a variety of endeavors
Automation
Big Data: Hadoop, Analytics, Visualization
Influencing the tools you use, the languages you work on
Using an API or RESTful service to add features to existing system

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Here, let me summarize that for you: "Be in charge of all of these separate focus areas so we don't have to hire the appropriate number of people to support them."

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

So how much of a trap do you think this job would be?

Sounds like a job for a Rogue.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It says "might" work on but Gearbox Software has made some really cool games :smith:

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

psydude posted:

Here, let me summarize that for you: "Be in charge of all of these separate focus areas so we don't have to hire the appropriate number of people to support them."

Unfortunately this is 90% of DevOps jobs because there are just not enough skilled people in the field and as a result the state of DevOps leadership is abysmal. No one has any idea how many people are needed, and as soon as something is "working" all support for DevOps projects tends to fall away. I'm not bitter.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Actually I didn't realize that was at Gearbox - I know several people who work there and have worked there, all-in-all it sounds like a very cool place to work at. One of those that isn't spewing corporate BS when it talks about being "play hard / work hard" etc.

As far as that position goes, I have no idea.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I copied part of the job description and Google followed.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

They were lucky. The failed startup I did IT for a couple years ago didn't even get around to buying real office furniture before it folded.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

As far as that position goes, I have no idea.

Plan the infrastructure, run the cabling, be a db admin, support the cloud computing environment, automate virtualization, do the hadoop.

wtf this is like 10 jobs in one.

Griffon
May 14, 2003

A systems administrator/DevOps/Deployment/support + Java and C++ Development in one person? Are they loving high?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm sort of curious if DevOps might be the direction I want to go with my career. It just is kind of a nebulous job description.

Is it just a systems admin who is really good at their job and automates 40 hours of work into 1, and as a result has 1600 hours worth of responsibility?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Griffon posted:

A systems administrator/DevOps/Deployment/support + Java and C++ Development in one person? Are they loving high?

You laugh, but i've got several friends from Uni who do this.

They get paid like £10,000 more than me mind, but you know, I don't come home wanting to kill myself (most of the time).

E: Yes, they're being screwed, i'm more saying people actually take these jobs for some strange, hosed up reason.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 11, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Griffon posted:

And it probably pays whatever the lowest salary for a single one of those positions would be.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
They really should say automation engineer or something. DevOps isn't a title or a division. You can't "do devops" right unless the organization is on board.

That said, it's a good skill to learn how to use automation tools, design things in an a way suited for reuse,fault tolerance, quick recovery, and cut down on human error or repeating tasks.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm sort of curious if DevOps might be the direction I want to go with my career. It just is kind of a nebulous job description.

Is it just a systems admin who is really good at their job and automates 40 hours of work into 1, and as a result has 1600 hours worth of responsibility?

It's not a job description, it's just an organizational methodology that usually involves sys admin type people know automation skills most of the time. Plus organizations that seem on board with it tend to use newer tech so you will see similar application stacks a lot of times. So it's good to integrate some of it if it helps your day to day job. When it works it's awesome but having development or other involved parties not subscribing to the sale ideals can make it harder to do right.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

And it probably pays whatever the lowest salary for a single one of those positions would be.

Going rate for Sr. DevOps Engineers with 5+ years of experience is $130k-$160k in Boston. I get what people don't like about how nebulous the work can be, but the reverse side is that if you really like to play around with technology there is no other section of the tech industry where you get to work with so many different things. It is perfect for the classic hacker mentality, so much so that I've stayed in the industry half because of the crazy and crazy talented people I get to work with.

MagnumOpus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 11, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Much like ~cloud~ it's been coopted to mean literally anything depending on who you ask. The guys who actually coined the term talk about it in terms of a company culture moreso than a job title or role. They summarize it as "CAMS": Culture, Automation, Measurement, Sharing. If your organization practices DevOps, you have a culture of collaboration and sharing instead of building silos and kingdoms. You automate the poo poo out of everything. You measure and monitor everything so you can make data-driven decisions. So a team practices DevOps, but you are not personally a DevOps.

That being said, companies now use it to mean anything from "literally just a traditional sysadmin with a different name so it sounds cooler" to a build/release engineer to someone that writes internal tools to a syadmin who knows what Puppet/Chef are. If you enjoy scripting and automation and config management and The Cloud and collaborating with developers instead of fighting them, a job with DevOps in the title is likely to be interesting (even if it's kind of a stupid use of the term). But those are also skills a good sysadmin in 2014 should have anyway regardless of job title.

Fake edit: more or less what JHVH-1 said as I was typing this :)

Real edit: And yes, these positions generally pay VERY well, actually. Because unlike Jack of All Trades IT Rogues it's very hard to find qualified people and those who are know their value.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Griffon posted:

This type of poo poo works if you're The IT Guy for a small company that doesn't support too many crazy applications and you have the ability to get the requisite support contracts, but given the crap they're listing, they're definitely big enough that your day to day life would consist of being thrown under the bus and killing a bottle of whiskey each evening.