Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh god, who uses the VirtualBox guest additions?

Why would you do that to yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ahmeni posted:

virtual box and vboxdriver with guest additions and all that enabled
3d support enabled because gnome shell won't start with it disabled

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't use VirtualBox to begin with because it's a piece of trash.

k-zed
Dec 1, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Dog posted:

networkmanager is a system daemon, how do i interact with it if there's no shell integration, is there a standalone gui prog i could use?

you sound like Shaggar at this point.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't use VirtualBox to begin with because it's a piece of trash.

is there a better VM that allows windows hosts because i'm about tired of virtualbox's poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
VMware

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
VMware is where I tried gnome3 the only time I tried gnome3. it ran like rear end.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

vmware player ran fedora 20 w/ gnome3 fine last i used it

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
welp so much for using gnome then

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Are you really that glued to VirtualBox?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
does the free version of vmware still have the baby blue theme?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Suspicious Dish posted:

it's just what people recommended to me a few years ago when i needed a linux vm (because as much as i like programming in linux, i sure as gently caress don't want it as my primary desktop)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Avenging Dentist posted:

it's just what people recommended to me a few years ago when i needed a linux vm (because as much as i like programming in linux, i sure as gently caress don't want it as my primary desktop)

the only reason to use virtualbox is to avoid paying for the vagrant vmware plugin

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I use virtualbox to run a headless linux development environment, which is the only acceptable use of linux because lol at using a linux GUI.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm sure as gently caress not ruining this laptop by installing Linux on it if that's what you mean lmao

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Palace of Hate posted:

also all my windows had a robot tit on them and so I had to dig through 3 different included config apps to remove the tit.

the purpose of the tit was apparently to make the window persist across multiple desktops but i'm not ready for the future i just plug in more monitors

idk i barely ever noticed that but it was easy to remove

k menu -> system settings -> workspace apperance -> window decorations -> oxygen is selected since that's what i'm using -> configure buttons -> check box for use custom titlebar positions, drag that button out of the titlebar mockup

the only thing i don't think is ideal there is the term "workspace appearance" calling the title bars and stuff part of a "workspace"

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
our other use case is that we offer a supported vagrant vm for people stuck on windows at work or are having trouble with the dev environment on their mac

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
VMware?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

btrfs getting swap file support in 3.19

http://lwn.net/Articles/625412/

not so many showstoppers from quitting zfs after this. btrfs recently gained raid[56] support too.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Tankakern posted:

http://lwn.net/Articles/625412/

not so many showstoppers from quitting zfs after this. btrfs recently gained raid[56] support too.

does it have support for being used for real work yet

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Soricidus posted:

does it have support for being used for real work yet
hhueeuheuheuhuehue

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Tankakern posted:

Btrfs is pronounced "Butterface"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

linux

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Captain Pike posted:

Btrfs is pronounced "Butterface"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

linux
no. its pronounced buttruffs

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

no. its pronounced slamwhale

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
lol if you are ever in a position where you have to pronounce btrfs or listen to someone else trying to pronounce it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i heard it multiple times today

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
so i have to ask

whose bright idea was it to put a javascript interpreter into the security policy server

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
sorry, that was me. my bad

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

buttfs lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mr Dog posted:

so i have to ask

whose bright idea was it to put a javascript interpreter into the security policy server

where is this?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/polkit/tree/src/polkitbackend/polkitbackendjsauthority.c

i get the rationale behind it (afaik the code running on the JS interpreter isn't actually exposed to any untrusted input) but it still made me do a double take. it handles authorization, not authentication.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wrote a reasonable portion of the JS engine in question, and I'd be a *bit* worried about it (or any GCing language) in that capacity unless there's a really good model for how to handle failure of the hosting process due to memory exhaustion. it's harder to verify memory cleanliness with dynamic GCing languages, and closure-entrainment is a non-obvious hazard to many.

OTOH, people can use jQuery to build auth plugins, so that longstanding hole in the universe of freedom has been filled.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

on the other hand, it crashes constantly in the JavaScript interpreter

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

historically, that's usually because of mismanagement of GC'd pointers by the embedding app; pass in a dead pointer, suffer accordingly. I don't know that there's any pure JS you can feed to that engine that will cause a crash, given how widely it's tested by fuzzers and hundreds of millions of people on the web.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

I take it all back, linux is bad after all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

closure-entrainment is a non-obvious hazard to many.

what is this

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

is there a better VM that allows windows hosts because i'm about tired of virtualbox's poo poo

have you considered QEMU, op?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I wrote a reasonable portion of the JS engine in question, and I'd be a *bit* worried about it (or any GCing language) in that capacity unless there's a really good model for how to handle failure of the hosting process due to memory exhaustion. it's harder to verify memory cleanliness with dynamic GCing languages, and closure-entrainment is a non-obvious hazard to many.

We already don't too well on memory exhaustion, so don't worry about that.

The answer is that this comes after eight years of a complex, custom ini-based language for interpreting rulesets since people wanted complex authentication checking rulesets. It's a completely custom module meant to make those people happy. JS was chosen since it's very likely already installed and has been battle-tested in browsers for security. We turn off the JIT and make sure to build a new JSContext and fully destroy it for every execution so that nothing can leak out.

If you have a better idea for a secure interpreted language for complex ruleset checking that would fit our usecase, we'd be more than happy to insert it instead of JS.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

We already don't too well on memory exhaustion, so don't worry about that.

The answer is that this comes after eight years of a complex, custom ini-based language for interpreting rulesets since people wanted complex authentication checking rulesets. It's a completely custom module meant to make those people happy. JS was chosen since it's very likely already installed and has been battle-tested in browsers for security. We turn off the JIT and make sure to build a new JSContext and fully destroy it for every execution so that nothing can leak out.

If you have a better idea for a secure interpreted language for complex ruleset checking that would fit our usecase, we'd be more than happy to insert it instead of JS.

have you considered the C programming language, op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yes. How would you recommend we interpret the C language in a safe and secure way to evaluate a complex ruleset?