Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Steve Yun posted:

Okay I did three batches of oxtail at 100 hours.

First one was great.

The second and third batches however, were FUNKY. Like farts funky. I decided to take the risk of eating it because it smelled slightly different from bacteria funk. After eating it I think something about the 100 hours of sous vide made the meat gamey, more gamey than lamb or anything else I've ever eaten. I'm not sure why one batch wasn't funky and the other two were, but my guess is that the two funkier batches had smaller pieces and more bone.

I had that happen with 72 hour short rib once. The ribs tasted fine, but smelled, like you said, funky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
As a general rule, don't eat farts.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
Just did my second batch of SV short ribs this past weekend. It was glorious. My method was:

* De-bone and trim off the big thick chunks of fat
* Brown meat in hot pan in a little oil (no seasoning) on all sides
* Cook rib meat for 48 hours at 56.0C (132.8F)
* Use bones to make stock
* Heat butter in pan, pull ribs from water bath
* Pat ribs dry, season
* Heat up bag juices until fatty stuff coagulates, then skim/sieve and add some stock to the purified juices; whisk in some cold butter
* Sear ribs in butter, set aside
* De-glaze pan with sauce, return sauce to saucepan and season

The sauce was incredible - very meaty and with lots of depth/umami. The meat itself was amazing as well: perfectly pink, full of flavour and with a bizarrely wonderful texture - melt-in-the-mouth but somehow with some bite to it as well. Worth the purchase of a sous device alone.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
^^ These were done in my Crock Pot with Codlo (PID controller). I now have a Sansaire as well. Does tin foil do a good enough job at preventing water loss through evaporation on a 48-hour cook?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pogo posted:

^^ These were done in my Crock Pot with Codlo (PID controller). I now have a Sansaire as well. Does tin foil do a good enough job at preventing water loss through evaporation on a 48-hour cook?

Yeah, foil over a cambro works fine. I lost an unnoticeable amount of water over 72 hours.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Veritek83 posted:

I'm doing pork chops at 61 c and one of them seems to have some air in the vac pouch. Doesn't appear to have sprung a leak or anything- seems more like the chop has just shrunk a bit. They've been goin an hour at this point, probably an hour left before I want to pull them to sear. I figure I'm just going to give this one a sniff and as long as it doesn't smell bad, I'll use it. Is that a recipe for food poisoning?

Edit: smelled fine, eaten, tasted good, not dead yet
It's fine. You want as much water in contact with the meat as possible, but some air bubbles aren't going to hurt anything. The air will get to the desired temperature and cook the meat too -- it just won't do it as efficiently as the water.

If you have a LOT of air in the bag and are really paranoid, you could leave it in the bath a bit longer, but air won't magically make the meat spoil or anything.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Anybody got a good call on doing a point cut corned beef? I've been seeing wildly varying suggestions, and it just seems easier to ask here.

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

BraveUlysses posted:

What temp for the broccoli? That and sous vide chicken salad sound really good

I did 183 F for about 45 minutes. I cut the broccoli up first into reasonable chunks and sealed it in one layer. Sealing broccoli is also really fun because it scrunches up really tight when all the air is sucked out of the bag.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE
I'm planning to sous vide a beef roast of ~1kg for tomorrow night's dinner. I've got up to 24 hours to play with, will it benefit from being in for that long? Or should I set it going in the morning before heading to work? Planning to carve and split it 5 ways, so far I've only experimented with steaks so a bit concerned about ruining a solid piece of meat.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It really depends on what cut you're roasting. If it's a tender cut, with not much collagen, you probably only want it in for 90 minutes or two hours, just enough for it to come to temp. If it's more-used muscle, then you'll want the whole 24 hours.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Huzzah! I finally got my Anova yesterday. It's quite a bit larger, heavier, and just more solid overall than I expected. I just thawed some boneless pork chops and plan to pop my sous vide cherry tonight or tomorrow night, as well as hopefully knock my girlfriend's panties off with how delicious a medium-rare pork chop can be.

That said, now that I have it in my possession, I feel almost frozen in terror. Is there a handy guide to most proteins/vegetables for times and temp? I follow this thread religiously but it's been mostly abstract theory thus far - now I need actual practical advice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Huzzah! I finally got my Anova yesterday. It's quite a bit larger, heavier, and just more solid overall than I expected. I just thawed some boneless pork chops and plan to pop my sous vide cherry tonight or tomorrow night, as well as hopefully knock my girlfriend's panties off with how delicious a medium-rare pork chop can be.

That said, now that I have it in my possession, I feel almost frozen in terror. Is there a handy guide to most proteins/vegetables for times and temp? I follow this thread religiously but it's been mostly abstract theory thus far - now I need actual practical advice.

This is a really good primer/reference. i feel like it's a great starting point.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Midniter posted:

http://bagsoakeat.com/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Has anyone done Creme Brulee sous vide? I noticed there are two types of recipes, some that have a lot of steps like simmering the milk and tempering it into the eggs and then sous vide the whole thing in an elaborate setup with ramekins raised up in a water bath.

The other is just blending all the ingredients, bagging them up, sous vide cooking at 180-ish, and pouring the cooked custard into ramekins and chilling in the fridge for a few hours.

The second option seems way simpler and the way to go, but I'm curious is there any reason to consider something fancier with the ramekins immersed in the water bath?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I actually asked for recipes/experiences of the second option on the last page. If it works, it's much more convenient, obviously. The first way is the normal/traditional way to do it, just using the puddle as a bain-marie (instead of putting the whole setup in the oven).

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Has anyone done Creme Brulee sous vide? I noticed there are two types of recipes, some that have a lot of steps like simmering the milk and tempering it into the eggs and then sous vide the whole thing in an elaborate setup with ramekins raised up in a water bath.

The other is just blending all the ingredients, bagging them up, sous vide cooking at 180-ish, and pouring the cooked custard into ramekins and chilling in the fridge for a few hours.

The second option seems way simpler and the way to go, but I'm curious is there any reason to consider something fancier with the ramekins immersed in the water bath?

The first method is just how you normally make Creme Brulee. The true 'sous vide' method is the 2nd. They're about equivalent imo, I'd just use the 2nd.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I think I'm going to try the second one for Christmas dinner dessert.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I made sous vide custard for frozen custard and it was dead simple.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Also got a Sansaire delivered today and it is a really nice machine. Cooked some soft boiled eggs and was really impressed how well the whole thing worked. Can't wait to get some meat and do some big meals.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Am I crazy or is putting the back cover on the Sansaire really freaking difficult? The tolerances are really sloppy and nothing fits into place that well.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mod sassinator posted:

Am I crazy or is putting the back cover on the Sansaire really freaking difficult? The tolerances are really sloppy and nothing fits into place that well.
Yeah, mine is like that too.

I rarely remove the cover. It really only touches water (except that time when the short ribs leaked). Other than some mineral buildup on the heating element, there's nothing a quick rinse won't handle.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mine's the same.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah mine fell from great height one time and I've never been able to get the cover back on properly. The temp wheel also kind of grinds or something when it turns but I assume that's from falling down. Still it works fine so whatever.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

It really depends on what cut you're roasting. If it's a tender cut, with not much collagen, you probably only want it in for 90 minutes or two hours, just enough for it to come to temp. If it's more-used muscle, then you'll want the whole 24 hours.
Thanks for this. I posted before picking my meat, then I picked up a brisket and tossed it on for 24 hours. Only 6 hours until I get to eat it :)

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Chemmy posted:

I made sous vide custard for frozen custard and it was dead simple.

Did you have any issues with grainy texture? It wasn't a showstopper for me but making brulee or any other custard really required some cheesecloth at the end even with massaging the bag every 5 min or so.

I love the idea of easy peasy brulee in a bag but that perfectly smooth texture seems to come at the cost of convenience.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just got my Sansaire and picked up a flank steak on sale.

Bag soak eat says:
4 hours at 131.

Modernist cooking made easy says:
Flank Steak
Medium Rare 131°F for 1 to 2 Days (55.0°C)
Medium 140°F for 1 to 2 Days (60.0°C)

The Rogue Gourmet calls for:
16-18 @ 135.

Which one of these is most right?

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

toplitzin posted:

I just got my Sansaire and picked up a flank steak on sale.

Bag soak eat says:
4 hours at 131.

Modernist cooking made easy says:
Flank Steak
Medium Rare 131°F for 1 to 2 Days (55.0°C)
Medium 140°F for 1 to 2 Days (60.0°C)

The Rogue Gourmet calls for:
16-18 @ 135.

Which one of these is most right?

Flank steak can definitely benefit a bit from a longer cook, but I haven't gone over 24 hours at 131°F. 4 hours should definitely get you pasteurized through, even at 131 F. Anything over that is just tenderness time. I guess it really just comes down to how rare and tender you like your flank steak. I personally notice that at 24 hours the steak wants to stay together less as I'm flipping it to get a sear on. Two days sounds like longer than I'd like.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've got two boneless pork chops I want at a medium rare. Does 135 for two hours sound sufficient? They're about an inch thick.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Lux Aeterna posted:

Did you have any issues with grainy texture? It wasn't a showstopper for me but making brulee or any other custard really required some cheesecloth at the end even with massaging the bag every 5 min or so.

I love the idea of easy peasy brulee in a bag but that perfectly smooth texture seems to come at the cost of convenience.

I put it through an ice cream maker and didn't notice anything odd.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Two days sounds gross for flank steak frankly. Modernist cuisine recommends a core temp of 133F for flank, which I imagine you can hit in under an hour due to its relative thinness. If it were me personally, I'd start with 133F for 4 hours and see how that turned out, but I tend to prefer my steaks to have a bit more texture.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I have done flank steak a few times at 133 for 24 hours and then I did it once for around 8 when I dropped it in the morning before work instead of the night before. I definitely prefer the 24 hour cook but shorter cooks are not bad by any means.

Here's a flat iron steak I did the other day for 4 hours at 134. It was amazing and cheap as well. Served it with sauteed french beans and garlic smashed potato.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

After ~26 hours at 55C my brisket came out and was still pretty chewy. Next time maybe 48-72 hours?

Very happy with the colour and appearance though:

xarg fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 11, 2014

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If it's anything like a corned beef brisket 48-72 hours will make it amazing.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
So I'm getting my anova in the mail tomorrow and would like to do a 24 hour meat dish to be served saturday night, hopefully with polenta or risotto. Going for hearty, going to be making mulled wine as well. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd love to do short ribs but haven't seen much south of 36 hours. Would prefer to not just do a steak or something, want to flex this thing.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Pork belly is the answer.

Specifically this.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-pork-belly-buns.html

Huge_Midget fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 11, 2014

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

I've made these twice, incredible. Kind of fussy (making the buns -- couldn't find them in the stores around here, pickle, sauce, etc), but amazing.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Any suggestions for beef and lamb? Was planning on making the sous vide porchetta next week so don't wanna be porked out.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jay Carney posted:

Any suggestions for beef and lamb? Was planning on making the sous vide porchetta next week so don't wanna be porked out.

I'm going with a flank steak this weekend, but haven't figured out a rub yet.
I have some leftover Lebanese style stuff I might use.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

xarg posted:

After ~26 hours at 55C my brisket came out and was still pretty chewy. Next time maybe 48-72 hours?

Very happy with the colour and appearance though:

Yeah, brisket is a really tough cut, and the hydrolysis that turns collagen to gelatin, making the meat tender, takes a long time at temps that low. With a brisket, I'd guess maybe 24 hours at 160f, or 48 at 144 (which is where I prefer my shortribs as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

lousy hat posted:

Flank steak can definitely benefit a bit from a longer cook, but I haven't gone over 24 hours at 131°F. 4 hours should definitely get you pasteurized through, even at 131 F. Anything over that is just tenderness time. I guess it really just comes down to how rare and tender you like your flank steak. I personally notice that at 24 hours the steak wants to stay together less as I'm flipping it to get a sear on. Two days sounds like longer than I'd like.

This is interesting. I asked my sister's BF for his opinion (he's worked under a few named chefs, so its not like he's some fresh out of LCB schlub) and he suggested the following:

Circulate at 125 f depending on size for about 1 hour to 2 hours I would put some thyme bay leaf salt pepper and olive oil in with the meat. Then once done you get a really hot pan and sear off both sides till nice and brown. Maldon salt on top.

Thoughts/discussion?