Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Mr Tastee posted:

My uncle's read the main series, so I wanted to get him something else either written by Martin or related to ASoIaF for Christmas. What's the least garbage option?

Beauty and the Beast on BluRay VHS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Unzip and Attack posted:

All of that is predicated on Varys knowing, for a fact, that Jorah would choose to protect Dany over receiving the pardon and restoration of his noble rights. I just don't buy that. I don't think Jorah himself knew until that instant what he would do, let alone Varys half a world away with no knowledge of the knight's feelings for Dany.

I don't think he botched the assassination but he thought that it would accelerate Drogo's plans and he could "save" the kingdom later with Aegon and the Golden Company.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

computer parts posted:

I don't think he botched the assassination but he thought that it would accelerate Drogo's plans and he could "save" the kingdom later with Aegon and the Golden Company.

By plans you mean that Drogo would have invaded Westeros in retaliation for Dany's murder?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
loneliness and obsession are a lethal combination.

some people read waaay too much into things.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Should have known better, should have known better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Should have known better, should have known better.

Are we talking Elio and Linda style old fashioned family racism fun or actual fun?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
They have a joint twitter?

Which one cheated?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Unzip and Attack posted:

By plans you mean that Drogo would have invaded Westeros in retaliation for Dany's murder?

Yes, and then Aegon would come as a literal knight in shining armor and take the kingdom back.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

All of that is predicated on Varys knowing, for a fact, that Jorah would choose to protect Dany over receiving the pardon and restoration of his noble rights. I just don't buy that. I don't think Jorah himself knew until that instant what he would do, let alone Varys half a world away with no knowledge of the knight's feelings for Dany.

In GRRM's wormy brain an old man has to be attracted to young girls. It's axiomatic. Without that his whole pretend universe would fall to pieces.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Mmm yes, I can't wait to see what the writer of "A Dance with Dragons" produces after being inspired by a Star Wars teaser trailer. That just screams quality.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, most swords in his world would have had crossguards already, so it can't be that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Well, most swords in his world would have had crossguards already, so it can't be that.

A black Stormtrooper Kingsguard, perhaps.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

A black Stormtrooper Kingsguard, perhaps.

BUT MY IMMERSION!!!!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A Summer Islander would never be in the Kingsguard. There's fourteen words in their oath, drat it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

A Summer Islander would never be in the Kingsguard. There's fourteen words in their oath, drat it.

:vince:

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Varys has spies oversees. You can't assume he has no knowledge of Mormont's feelings for Dany, as they are painfully obvious to anybody who watches them for a minute or two.

Also, he deliberately hired a lovely assassin. He didn't necessarily need to know how the attempt would fail or because of whom, he just needed to be reasonably sure that it was very likely to fail.

And if he fucks up and she dies? He's got Aegon in his back pocket.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Fhate posted:

Also, he deliberately hired a lovely assassin. He didn't necessarily need to know how the attempt would fail or because of whom, he just needed to be reasonably sure that it was very likely to fail.

This seems like such a horrible idea that not even GRRM would write it for one of his characters.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Sexpansion posted:

This seems like such a horrible idea that not even GRRM would write it for one of his characters.

Agreed. If not for Jorah Dany would have absolutely drank the wine and died.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

About the whole "Star Wars inspiration" thing, I actually get that. That makes total sense to me. It's pretty obvious that writing ASoIaF has felt like a job and a chore for him now for quite a while, and I think we can all agree that there's a difference between books 1-3 and books 4-5 that probably has to do with the fact that he's not enjoying this quite so much anymore.

So hearing that he saw the new 'Star Wars' trailer and felt like a fanboy again, and got a taste of that sense of just really wanting something to be out now... It sounds stupid and obvious, but I can see how that would cause him to empathize with what he's put his fanbase through and perhaps give him some renewed determination to push through. Writing is strange, capricious, and unpredictable.

In an ideal world stories like this would just evolve over time, and there wouldn't be this sort of pressure, which is ultimately kind of absurd. In an ideal world these series would just be allowed to evolve naturally, and books 4 and 5 probably weren't really ready to be written, which had something to do with how odd they are at times. Writers need something to say, after all, and some sort of reason for saying it, right? Maybe it's because I just watched this speech Ursula K. Le Guin gave a little speech where she touched on this obliquely, but it all just seems so hilariously absurd.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Actually it's not all that unpredictable when you refuse to write while traveling and then agree to travel a whole lot.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

kaworu posted:

So hearing that he saw the new 'Star Wars' trailer and felt like a fanboy again, and got a taste of that sense of just really wanting to sell his property to a studio and rake in the cash.

ftfy

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

How do the people who earnestly believe stuff like that function in real life? I'm not from California, but I wear clothes designed by a dude who is. Is that cultural appropriation, too? Am I a horrible monster, then, and should only wear Elizabethian-era clothes, like my ancestors did? Wait, poo poo, not all of them were English! drat, what clothes should I wear, crazy internet person?! :suicide:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

Cultural Appropriation in the Media #4 - How do we normalize appropriation in our everyday lives?

In the wider popular HBO show, Game of Thrones, a bear lives in the woods. As with most animals in Game of Thrones, Bears are not normally invited to the fair unless they are shackled or controlled in some other way for entertainment.

But when this bear shows some aptitude at dancing, an unspecified group invites him to the fair where he meets a maiden. Except the maiden has called for a knight, not a bear. Therefore she initially objects to dancing with the bear, however after licking the honey from her hair she relents and off they went from here to there, the bear the bear and the maiden fair.

This is how in many little ways, ursine appropriation has been normalized in our songs of legend and daily lives.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

that is the stupidest thing ive ever read. thats like saying someone from california shouldn't be allowed to wear a winter coat if they move to buffalo. of course her clothes changed....wtf did I just read?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Sansa is half southron anyhow, that's some uninformed poo poo right there.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sansa is half southron anyhow, that's some uninformed poo poo right there.

She didn't even mention Rhoynar, talk about erasure.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

as bleedy-lefty as I am I just can't give a poo poo about cultural appropriation, especially since it's how syncretic cultures operate so to deny appropriation also denies an expression of culture- but that aside, if you're a crusader for this kind of thing, I would think an example that you could point to in popular culture would be good for explaining what cultural appropriation is. Which leads me to believe this is more about the chemical reward system involved in being upset about something and posting about it than it is about making any sort of salient or useful point. I mean in the US we're basically an entire culture based on large amounts of appropriation heaped upon a thin, fake noble Anglo-Saxon national origin myth.

but n/m gently caress dany for both appropriating dothraki culture and imposting westerosi abolitionist morals on a foreign society

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

thank you for that, I needed a good loving laugh.

kaworu posted:

So hearing that he saw the new 'Star Wars' trailer and felt like a fanboy again, and got a taste of that sense of just really wanting something to be out now... It sounds stupid and obvious, but I can see how that would cause him to empathize with what he's put his fanbase through and perhaps give him some renewed determination to push through. Writing is strange, capricious, and unpredictable.

Yes, it is the gentle breathe of the Muse! The will-o-wisp of Creativity's tickle! The "this is what happens when someone else gets to finish your Life's work - Black Stormtroopers and Lightsabers with crossguards".

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Am I a horrible monster

white. check
male. check

yup.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

How do the people who earnestly believe stuff like that function in real life? I'm not from California, but I wear clothes designed by a dude who is. Is that cultural appropriation, too? Am I a horrible monster, then, and should only wear Elizabethian-era clothes, like my ancestors did? Wait, poo poo, not all of them were English! drat, what clothes should I wear, crazy internet person?! :suicide:

I think they're confusing cultural exchange with cultural appropriation.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

This misses the point of any reasonable argument about cultural appropriation. You can't steal from the dominant culture (in this case King's Landing) because it's the dominant culture. Cultural appropriation is about people in the privileged position assuming elements (usually cosmetic) of other cultures. Like, if you're a white guy and you want to go around in a Native American headdress and try to make that your style, people are probably going to think you're being insensitive at best if not outright racist. You're co-opting the look of a another culture to be cool while ignoring any of it's cultural significance. In this case it's doubly problematic because of the erosion of Native American culture at the hands of white settlers attempting to commit genocide.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:master:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

kcroy posted:

white. check
male. check

Uh, don't loving presume on how I identify, you piece of poo poo.

I am a meat popsicle.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
So I am reading WOIAF (I bought it, sorry). Uhhhh...Lord Grover, Ser Elmo and Ser Kermit? Eat poo poo gurm.

ShaqDiesel fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 12, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShaqDiesel posted:

So I am reading WOIAF (I bought it, sorry). Uhhhh...Lord Grover, Ser Elmo and Ser Kermit? Eat poo poo gurm.

Was Lord Grover known for building lovely castles?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

Was Lord Grover known for building lovely castles?

Chief Architect for Black Harren.

Harrenhall wouldn't have burned down if the dragonfire hadn't hit the insulation under the stairs.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

420 Gank Mid posted:

Chief Architect for Black Harren.

Harrenhall wouldn't have burned down if the dragonfire hadn't hit the insulation under the stairs.

Oh please - everyone KNOWS maesters were hiding wildfyre im cities and castles throughout the REALM - clearly this castle burned from the inside. Here look at this...

[Photo Blocked]
[Photo Blocked]
[Photo Blocked]
[Photo Blocked]

4 castles ALL HIT WITH DRAGON FIRE... none of them burned to the ground.

Wake up Ser Sheeple.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Karnegal posted:

This misses the point of any reasonable argument about cultural appropriation. You can't steal from the dominant culture (in this case King's Landing) because it's the dominant culture. Cultural appropriation is about people in the privileged position assuming elements (usually cosmetic) of other cultures. Like, if you're a white guy and you want to go around in a Native American headdress and try to make that your style, people are probably going to think you're being insensitive at best if not outright racist. You're co-opting the look of a another culture to be cool while ignoring any of it's cultural significance. In this case it's doubly problematic because of the erosion of Native American culture at the hands of white settlers attempting to commit genocide.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

I am a meat popsicle.