Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
cotogna is super ridic expensive. i had a friend take me out there cuz i didn't get a job at his company and it was like $200 for the two of us with 1 glass of wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

:allears: zillow lawsuit :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Beast of Bourbon posted:

cotogna is super ridic expensive. i had a friend take me out there cuz i didn't get a job at his company and it was like $200 for the two of us with 1 glass of wine

:staredog:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

still funny

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fabricated posted:

until i can plug computer chips into my brain and properly escape this gay earth its not a proper cyberpunk dystopia tyvm :colbert:

gonna be huge lols when your dumb chip-plugging rear end gets a brain infection and you're totally poo poo out of luck because all the antibiotics have long since been exhausted

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
finally, a place for only the richest and most elite sv techbros

no girls allowed

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Cuckoo’s Nest, which I attend from time to time . . . It is the most faggy goddamned thing you could ever imagine with that San Francisco crowd. I can't shake hands with anybody from San Francisco.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i love that they just ignore the last two failed attempts at doing the same thing, apparently not quite grasping that power-autists aren't really much for social gatherings

also, lol at the "artist in residence" bullshit.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
pick up artist in residence

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

autist in residence

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

computer parts posted:

The Cuckoo’s Nest, which I attend from time to time . . . It is the most faggy goddamned thing you could ever imagine with that San Francisco crowd. I can't shake hands with anybody from San Francisco.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
i wish nixon was still around

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i don't.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

$200/month isn't exactly exclusive, the olympic club is like 10k just to join then $3k+/year and they have like 5000 members

plus they have a sweet gym and golf course

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

$200/month isn't exactly exclusive, the olympic club is like 10k just to join then $3k+/year and they have like 5000 members

plus they have a sweet gym and golf course

yeah $200/month is less than most country clubs ffs

but lol apparently tech nerds need a place not associated with outside sports like golf and tennis

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
right? i was honestly expecting a much much higher number

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

you wouldn't relish the chance to kick him in the nads?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

you wouldn't relish the chance to kick him in the nads?

i can already piss on his grave if i were so inclined, that's good enough

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but lol apparently tech nerds need a place not associated with outside sports like golf and tennis

so basically a place for poor tech bro's (as in poor for young white male ivy league graduates) who think thy're the next zuck.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

I thought tech types were meant to be rich and stupid? that type of money wouldn't get you anywhere near a real club in london.

Hell even babbies first club, like the oxford and cambridge, charge under 30 over $1000 a year.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a double triple posting idiot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

vodkat posted:

Hell even babbies first club, like the oxford and cambridge, charge under 30 over $1000 a year.

this place charges $2400 a year so i dunno what comparison you're making here exactly

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

200/month is more than 1000 a year btw

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vodkat posted:

so basically a place for poor tech bro's (as in poor for young white male ivy league graduates) who think thy're the next zuck.

yeah. its just a clever guy leeching some cash off the aspirational wannabe bubble bros

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I dunno, i think it sounds like a great idea. I don't have to hear them talking about how disruptive they are and how smart they are when trying to eat lunch or get a coffee.

Also, the reason you have no common social place to meet up in SV is because SV is a commercial/subburban poo poo hole that involves driving ANYWHERE and nerds are both asocial and lazy.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

this place charges $2400 a year so i dunno what comparison you're making here exactly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've got $100 towards one of the bay yosposters infiltrating

test me

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
the meh private clubs in scottsdale are $10k with 500~ month for just course members. lol at that as an exclusive club

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

born on a buy you posted:

finally reading snowcrash. it's absurd how many parts of that abook seemed to be inspiration for tech comapnies now

if you want to be really sad, read some John Brunner, specifically "Stand on Zanzibar" and "The Sheep Look Up"

just don't if you're anywhere near suicidal, because, uh, yeah.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i've got $100 towards one of the bay yosposters infiltrating

test me

Seconded.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they feel rich, so they ape what they saw a rich person do on tv once. tryin to mimic eight-figure society on a six-figure salary

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

computer parts posted:

:newlol:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
lol if ur 'exclusive club' doesn't have a five-and-a-half-figure initiation fee

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my club has an imaginary fee

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
entry to my club is free but you have meet certain criteria (my club is my b hole)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah. its just a clever guy leeching some cash off the aspirational wannabe bubble bros

this is a great idea but you need to get some extroverts in on the ground floor so that the wallflowers come in and spill money everywhere

taking initial investments now for a private club that's primarily for well-known social media personalities and people who are famous in tech

it will have a twitter feed that lets you know who is currently in attendance

right now we're calling it the Glory Hole

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Metrication posted:

entry to my club is free but you have meet certain criteria (my club is my b hole)

pls specify your criteria and text me.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

my club has an imaginary fee

no need to pay an entry fee when you are a founding member of ANIME CLUB!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

liquidfire posted:

no need to pay an entry fee when you are a founding member of ANIME CLUB!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

• Locked thread