Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MGN001
May 12, 2012

Didn't /r/bitcoin ban the "I'll start the wiki" bot after a few days or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Magrov posted:

holy gently caress :catstare:

i thought their argument was that the gun at zerlan's house was bfl property? make up your fuckin minds

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this ones good too

Shipping. Temporary Receiver did not prohibit shipping. The Court’s Stipulated Interim
Order allowed for shipping “under conditions acceptable to the Temporary Receiver.” (Doc. 54,
p. 16). Shipping required customer communication and, if more than 345 were shipped, testing
of new machines. Temporary Receiver requested a communication plan, but BFL did not provide
a communication plan that was acceptable to Temporary Receiver because the communication
plan proposed by BFL appeared to be one-sided and forward looking beyond the interim
period. (Ex. 1, ¶ 33). Further, Temporary Receiver requested a testing protocol, but this was
denied by counsel for BFL. (Ex. 1, ¶ 31). Given the responses by BFL and the limited amount of
time left within the interim period, the conditions were unacceptable for Temporary Receiver to
allow shipping during the interim period. (Ex. 1, ¶ 26-33).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dren posted:

no i got busy at work and forgot about it

ah thats a shame

but now its documented in the postchain which is as good as you having done it so i guess our work here is done

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

I use Linux and don't play videogames, how can I use my Bitcoin in Microsoft? (self.Bitcoin)
soumis 11 minutes ago par felipelalli [+1]

guys i don't need microsoft or bitcoin but

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the whole point of the wikibot is that it will start the wiki. it's not supposed to actually get around to it.

as far as bfl goes i'm just waiting for the revelation of josh's wacky hijinks in brazil at this point. :munch:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

MGN001 posted:

Didn't /r/bitcoin ban the "I'll start the wiki" bot after a few days or something?

yes, some user in particular got pissed at it and I presume was the one who reported it

in death we have a name

his name was /u/ArthurPCheltham
his name was /u/ArthurPCheltham

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

As a Millennial I posted:

this ones good too

Shipping. Temporary Receiver did not prohibit shipping. The Court’s Stipulated Interim
Order allowed for shipping “under conditions acceptable to the Temporary Receiver.” (Doc. 54,
p. 16). Shipping required customer communication and, if more than 345 were shipped, testing
of new machines. Temporary Receiver requested a communication plan, but BFL did not provide
a communication plan that was acceptable to Temporary Receiver because the communication
plan proposed by BFL appeared to be one-sided and forward looking beyond the interim
period. (Ex. 1, ¶ 33). Further, Temporary Receiver requested a testing protocol, but this was
denied by counsel for BFL. (Ex. 1, ¶ 31). Given the responses by BFL and the limited amount of
time left within the interim period, the conditions were unacceptable for Temporary Receiver to
allow shipping during the interim period. (Ex. 1, ¶ 26-33).

Who the hell did they hire as counsel, jesus

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

i think the thought was that they weren't paying their counsel on time, so he was deliberately being unhelpful

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

theflyingorc posted:

i think the thought was that they weren't paying their counsel on time, so he was deliberately being unhelpful

i think the judge and the bar might take a dim view of that

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

infernal machines posted:

in that he was just rubber stamping whatever they sent, in a "you want to submit this, fine by me" way

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

might be mixing it up with this bit about pirate's case

woozle wuzzle posted:

It's a funny thing: the lawyer signed a form on 9/4/14 that he acknowledges Pirate's service in this new lawsuit. Yet he was fired on 8/29/14. Default judgment was entered against Pirate because he failed to respond to this lawsuit. What a whacky coincidence. Pro tip #2: seriously, pay your lawyer.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Captain Cool posted:

might be mixing it up with this bit about pirate's case

That's exactly what I was doing. There's too much illegal stuff going on with bitcoin, i can't be expected to keep track of it all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so with bfl it's a case of a some true believer fremen-on-the-lam going no, gently caress you dad to the court/ftc/receiver?

brilliant

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

BFL has a very big and well thought of firm representing them. Presumably smart people following scammy idiots' orders just results in literate scammy idiocy being presented to the court?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what I don't think I'll ever understand about all these scammers in general but BFL in particular, if all the top execs/presumable fall guys were doing all their meetings on irc or whatever, once you had a decent nut why wouldn't you just move to a non-extradition country? like not even permanently, but just so that if you don't get away with it, you have much less of a chance at winding up in jail.

like they were spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on houses and poo poo. why not buy a little place in Venezuela or something.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

indigi posted:

what I don't think I'll ever understand about all these scammers in general but BFL in particular, if all the top execs/presumable fall guys were doing all their meetings on irc or whatever, once you had a decent nut why wouldn't you just move to a non-extradition country? like not even permanently, but just so that if you don't get away with it, you have much less of a chance at winding up in jail.

like they were spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on houses and poo poo. why not buy a little place in Venezuela or something.

because bitcoin is new and dusruptive, the old laws don't apply

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

indigi posted:

People like that have something wrong in their heads. They don't think like a normal responsible adult does. They think they can just bullshit their way out of it. Or they are doing nothing wrong. Or they have the same sense of right and wrong as a toddler, it's not wrong if I got away with it.

Then when the inevitable happens and the authorities get involved they keep trying the same crap despite the outcome being blindly obvious to everyone but themselves.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

was it roger ver that was convicted for sending explosives through the us mail and literally does not understand why that is a crime?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

hobbesmaster posted:

was it roger ver that was convicted for sending explosives through the us mail and literally does not understand why that is a crime?
According to the information and plea agreement, Mr. Ver sold explosive devices described as “Pest Control Report 2000” on the online auction site eBay. He purchased approximately 49 pounds of the devices from a supplier in South Carolina, and sold at least 14 pounds of the devices to bidders on eBay. While engaging in the business of selling explosive devices, Mr. Ver stored the explosives in a residential apartment building and mailed the devices via the United States Mail in a manner contrary to Postal Service regulations. Judge Fogel sentenced the Defendant to 10 months in federal prison, a fine of $2,000, as well as a three-year period of supervised release.

also, <1 year later
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is announcing today that Max 2000 Inc., of Stanton, Mo., and company officials Thomas and Mary Scaman, have agreed to stop manufacturing and selling an illegal agricultural firecracker that was widely available to consumers. Max 2000 made and sold over one million "Pest Control Report 2000" (PCR 2000) firecrackers that each contained nearly 1,000 milligrams of explosive powder, which is far in excess of the legal limit for consumer firecrackers. These firecrackers, if used by consumers, could cause serious injuries or death.

so he illegally sold and illegally shipped explosives that apparently were themselves illegal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

According to the information and plea agreement, Mr. Ver sold explosive devices described as “Pest Control Report 2000” on the online auction site eBay. He purchased approximately 49 pounds of the devices from a supplier in South Carolina, and sold at least 14 pounds of the devices to bidders on eBay. While engaging in the business of selling explosive devices, Mr. Ver stored the explosives in a residential apartment building and mailed the devices via the United States Mail in a manner contrary to Postal Service regulations. Judge Fogel sentenced the Defendant to 10 months in federal prison, a fine of $2,000, as well as a three-year period of supervised release.

also, <1 year later
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is announcing today that Max 2000 Inc., of Stanton, Mo., and company officials Thomas and Mary Scaman, have agreed to stop manufacturing and selling an illegal agricultural firecracker that was widely available to consumers. Max 2000 made and sold over one million "Pest Control Report 2000" (PCR 2000) firecrackers that each contained nearly 1,000 milligrams of explosive powder, which is far in excess of the legal limit for consumer firecrackers. These firecrackers, if used by consumers, could cause serious injuries or death.

so he illegally sold and illegally shipped explosives that apparently were themselves illegal

In reality, I ran for California state assembly in 2000 as a Libertarian / Voluntarist.
I said enough to upset the feds so much that I became the only person in the USA to be prosecuted for selling a legal product
that was also being sold by hundreds of other companies across the USA including http://www.cabelas.com/
http://www.justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/press-releases/2002/verPlea.htm
There is no freedom of speech.
This is why the world needs Bitcoin, and this is why I support bitcoinfoundation.org

(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113400.msg1225950#msg1225950)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

hobbesmaster posted:

that may or may not be a prerequisite to being named a bitcoin jesus

also victimless crime :qq:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

look he never volunteered to be subject to any laws against mailing explosives, ok

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

hobbesmaster posted:

these people literally think the law is a genie who can be tricked into defeating himself if you describe things using the right magic words.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

dont forget endangered the lives of everyone living in the apartment building he housed them in by storing them improperly

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

if i haven't heard it's illegal, how can i be breaking the law? if i'm ignorant of the law, i never agreed to the contract to obey it.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

minivanmegafun posted:

dont forget endangered the lives of everyone living in the apartment building he housed them in by storing them improperly

those people are guilty of not doing their research properly on the other people living there and not covertly inspecting each and everyone of their neighbours apartments for dangers while the owner sleeps, and he cannot therefore be held liable for their lazyness

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Sweevo posted:

these people literally think the law is a genie who can be tricked into defeating himself if you describe things using the right magic words.

look, if you can mess up a website with php/sql/javascript injection, surely there's a way to reprogram a judge with a well-formed legal argument like, "THIS ENTITY IS NAMED ONE SINGLE QUOTE SEMICOLON INSERT INTO law VALUES("LEGALIZE WEED")"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TVarmy posted:

look, if you can mess up a website with php/sql/javascript injection, surely there's a way to reprogram a judge with a well-formed legal argument like, "THIS ENTITY IS NAMED ONE SINGLE QUOTE SEMICOLON INSERT INTO law VALUES("LEGALIZE WEED")"

you see law is like a schema, what we need is a schema less society

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

so with bfl it's a case of a some true believer fremen-on-the-lam going no, gently caress you dad to the court/ftc/receiver?

brilliant

bfl won

http://ia802308.us.archive.org/32/items/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531/gov.uscourts.mowd.117531.201.0.pdf

court denied preliminary injunction, will wind down the temporary recievership, and while bfl has to file weekly status reports and the FTCs lawsuit can go forward, the status reports won't be public and nothing will happen in the lawsuit until the FTC wins (if it wins)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

how you cock up a slam-dunk like this :psyduck:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
that is not the result i was expecting, what's the reason given?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

theflyingorc posted:

Excelzior posted:

hahaha BFL got off on a technicality (we're not committing massive fraud anymore, you can't get an injuction against us!)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

basically the ftc didn't show it would win, and that even if they had the ftc's primary case was that bfl lied about delivery dates but since they're not taking preorders anymore theres no need for a reciever and an injunction just to protect customers

the ftc hosed up bad, they didn't do a good job explaining that bfl was actively lying, not just thinking it could meet deadlines, and they never remembered to tell the court that 'third party profitability calculator' was owned by bfl and pre-set to be deceptive :cripes:

also they should have been stressing the history of bfl's execs using the company as a piggybank and looting assets that should go to customers and they seem to have utterly fallen down on that point because that's a solid reason for an injunction

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
dont worry guys, now we get to see a smug josh/inaba calling everybody on the bitcointalk thread a cocksucker

Inaba posted:

Re: BFL hosed us over again
Today at 10:16:58 PM
Looks like justice has won out and the truth and facts have been proven.

I guess that makes Gleb, Puerto and the rest of the clown crew even dumber than Pakleds, huh? This is why I call you people idiots. You don't understand anything you read or what's been said to you. You just have blinders on and if anything disagrees with your misguided, twisted world view, you shout it down and troll until it goes away.

Sorry, but reality and facts have won out over your rhetoric and bullshit. Every single piece of bullshit you idiots have slung forth has been annihilated by the court. It is a good day.

PS - Thanks to all of your lies and false information the FTC (presumably) relied upon, this is the first time the FTC has ever lost an injunction. This will set a nice tone for future FTC challenges and provides some decent case law. Word through the grapevine is that Helen Wong has acquired a new letter to her name, an "R," around her office in Washington DC. I wonder if they say that to her face. Someone needs to.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

quote:

this is the first time the FTC has ever lost an injunction.

what

WHAT

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Magrov posted:

dont worry guys, now we get to see a smug josh/inaba calling everybody on the bitcointalk thread a cocksucker

:barf:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
bitcoin projects a field of incompetence and the ftc has become trapped within it

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
Papillion Laboratoires wins again :(

• Locked thread