Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Obtuseness to replace difficulty curve?
Well, the nineties were weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I don't think the argument is that it's literally impossible to find out what the ability does, but that L-Mag-RF is a stupid as hell abbreviation and well in line with calling the spider bot XF-88G or whatever instead of DOOM SPIDER or anything, you know, fun.

I don't see how it's a stupid abbreviation - L for "Life", Mag for "Magic", RF for "Refine". That's about as straightforward as you can get. The only real argument is why they bothered to abbreviate Life, when several other abilities just spelled out the first (four-letter-length) word (Time Mag-RF, High Mag-RF).

And if your complaint is that the ability names aren't "fun", then you basically need to trash EVERY GF ability name in the entire game, because virtually all of them are just simple, straightforward descriptions/abbreviations of what the ability does: Str-J is a junction for strength. Str+40% raises strength by 40%. GFHP+20% raises GF HP by 20%.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My only personal complaint with L-Mag RF is that half the time I always think the L stands for Lightning. Otherwise I feel it's pretty straightforward.

If you want to argue against abbreviations, it's never explained what SeeD stands for (there are some hints throughout the game, but the full name of the system is never revealed).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Scarcely equipped expendable Dimwits?
I don't think it's an acronyme, just garden/seed.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 13, 2014

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Scarcely equipped expendable Dimwits?
I don't think it's an acronyme, just garden/seed.

Yeah later on This is commented on

Edit: replaced plot bombshell with something milder

Weavered fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 13, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, refinement abilities really aren't that hard to parse, and tend to be fairly consistent on the whole. Not 100% consistent though, there are still some exceptions, but it's still pretty straightforward.

All but two of them end with -RF indicating (perhaps superfluously) that it's a refinement ability. Most of them have either Mag or Med before the -RF, representing whether they make magic or medicine (consumable items, generally of a healing variety). And then before the Mag/Med there's a letter or word indicating what sort of magic or medicine it makes.

My guess on the single-letter ones is that they had to abbreviate Quetz's ability somehow, because neither Thunder Mag-RF nor Lightning Mag-RF would fit. They apparently decided to shorten it to a distinctive first letter; I think I prefer that over Ltng or Thundr or something but that's just me. And then they similarly abbreviated the other basic equivalents (ice, fire, and life) for consistency's sake.

Not sure why they abbreviated "Status" to "ST" for ST Mag-RF and ST Med-RF though. It's not really needed for consistency and there's room enough for the full word (e.g. Forbid Mag-RF).

As for SeeD, I'm curious about the original Japanese: did they use the "English" word SeeD there too, or did they have something in katakana/hiragana/kanji? If the former, I could easily see them doing it that way in the first place (because Japan likes to use English words - often weirdly used from our perspective, e.g. that capital D - as an exotic thing) and then simply stuck with the same thing in the English translation.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Weavered you might want to edit that out, even in tags that's kind of a bombshell when we're not even out of Dollet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vil posted:

As for SeeD, I'm curious about the original Japanese: did they use the "English" word SeeD there too, or did they have something in katakana/hiragana/kanji? If the former, I could easily see them doing it that way in the first place (because Japan likes to use English words - often weirdly used from our perspective, e.g. that capital D - as an exotic thing) and then simply stuck with the same thing in the English translation.

Wiki says they use シード.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Psion posted:

Weavered you might want to edit that out, even in tags that's kind of a bombshell when we're not even out of Dollet.

Fair enough, I've edited it out.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
A siren needs a name that evokes eerie, incomprehensible vocals. I vote for Grimes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd say Lady Gaga :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Speaking of Dollet, though, it does bring up one of the nicer parts of 8: the setting. It's actually a pretty cool mix of swords, magic, and tech. Or at least, Dollet is.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wiki says they use シード.

Wiki is wrong, then. The Japanese version uses "SeeD" in Latin letters.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Gnoman posted:

"Renzokuken" is one of the only untranslated Japanese bits in the game, and translates to something like "Continual Sword." Given the otherwise superb translation, I don't know why this was left in.

I imagine it's a sort of precursor to the convention they ultimately went with for the series; things that are intended to be 'foreign', ie overtly ninja or samurai inspired abilities and gear, were simply left in Japanese. Some of Squall's techniques and imagery seem intended to evoke that feel, so leaving his limits in Japanese would fit that aesthetic. Trouble is they ultimately actually translated all his other skills and weapons, so Renzokuken is just this weird outlier in the game as it exists now.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
In the demo, they'd translated Renzokuken as "C. Sword", but I honestly don't like that name as much. To me, "continuing sword" or "serial sword" or whatever other translation sounds kind of awkward and too much like a direct translation.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Swordstream (CT ref wooo)
Bladehail
Conti-Cutter
Everslash
The "Nonstop Nonsense"

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you want to argue against abbreviations, it's never explained what SeeD stands for (there are some hints throughout the game, but the full name of the system is never revealed).

More irritatingly, they never really explain why the D is capitalized. If SeeD was a real acronym for something ("Special Elite Excellence Defenders" or whatever), it'd be all caps. Or if it was just a typical proper noun like Galbadians, only the first letter would be capitalized.

And IIRC, it's the only oddly capitalized thing in the game, so this was clearly a specific design intent by the developers/writers...which is never, AFAIK, actually highlighted or commented on in any way, shape or form except for the fact every time the D is capitalized.

:iiam:

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Psion posted:

Speaking of Dollet, though, it does bring up one of the nicer parts of 8: the setting. It's actually a pretty cool mix of swords, magic, and tech. Or at least, Dollet is.

What sub-genre does the setting fall into anyways? It's kind of...everywhere.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Does it ever get explained why Galbadia decided to attack Dollet? If they just wanted to fix the tower it would have probably been way cheaper to just rent it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Variant_Eris posted:

What sub-genre does the setting fall into anyways? It's kind of...everywhere.

Pseudomilitary science fantasy?

Iretep posted:

Does it ever get explained why Galbadia decided to attack Dollet? If they just wanted to fix the tower it would have probably been way cheaper to just rent it.

Yes, in detail.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
SeeD stands for "See Delights" because when you're a mercenary in a fantasy setting you see delightful things like burnt or frozen corpses and organs on the outside of people's bodies.

Duh.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Iretep posted:

I imagine they invaded because otherwise how would we know they're the bad guys. But yeah the game does give a reason for this... Relatively soon, so patience.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Voting for Cooter for Siren, she has a very noticeably hairy blonde vag, or at least that's what it looked like when I was a teen.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

MagusofStars posted:

More irritatingly, they never really explain why the D is capitalized. If SeeD was a real acronym for something ("Special Elite Excellence Defenders" or whatever), it'd be all caps. Or if it was just a typical proper noun like Galbadians, only the first letter would be capitalized.

And IIRC, it's the only oddly capitalized thing in the game, so this was clearly a specific design intent by the developers/writers...which is never, AFAIK, actually highlighted or commented on in any way, shape or form except for the fact every time the D is capitalized.

:iiam:

anilEhilated posted:

Well, the nineties were weird.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014

Cool Ghost posted:

Also, like all limit breaks in this game, it is easily repeated. This is one of the more broken things in the game - if you keep a character in critical HP, you can just churn out limits like crazy and mince everything.

This is how I beat the final boss when I played this game. I forget what limit break I had Squall on, but it would do 9999 damage every time it hit, and so I kept his HP as low as I could get away with so every time his turn came up he would murder the boss.
(I was stupid and didn't realize level grinding wasn't helping me & didn't understand junctioning properly, so this was really the only way I could beat the boss without dying horribly.)

Also, my vote for Siren's name is Wee-ooo.

Oh, also, I did start playing this game, but I'm apparently doing a bad-manners run. Cool Ghost, could I post screencaps for things that go differently in my run? (I didn't offer to show Selphie around, and I'll probably score poorly on the exam.)

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

I am going with Godiva as well for Siren.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Voting for Nom-Nom, since she's a Siren.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

inverts posted:

Oh, also, I did start playing this game, but I'm apparently doing a bad-manners run. Cool Ghost, could I post screencaps for things that go differently in my run? (I didn't offer to show Selphie around, and I'll probably score poorly on the exam.)

Go wild, man.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cool Ghost posted:

Go wild, man.

On a similar note, would you mind if I dug up the FMV you skipped (along with any others that might be optional), or discussed the enemies/GFs from the update in greater detail (avoiding spoilers, of course)?

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
You can talk about the enemies and stuff, but I actually have a sort of "outtakes" update for the SeeD exam planned, which will include talking about that FMV.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Not a problem. Some LPers post the alternate content, some don't.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
When I was a kid, all the abbreviations in skill names seemed to me like a cool way to make the game seem more sci-fi. I mean, the entire concept of what we're using here is called "para-magic", it would make sense to do professional and to-the-point names instead of calling Str+20% "Knight's Strength" or something. Compare with FFIX ability names, where they're fully spelled out, personal and sometimes even a comment about the character themselves (like Zidane getting "Protect Girls").

Mind you, English is not my first language and I was probably overthinking it, because as a kid I was big into both games. :v:

Oh, and +1 for UNCENSORD.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The thing I remember seeing for the limit break nonsense, is if your critical HP Squall doesn't want to limit when his turn comes up, you can just cycle between characters (L1 and R1? ) until the game decides that this time his menu comes up he can Limit.

As I wasn't playing myself though, perhaps I am wrong?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Tylana posted:

The thing I remember seeing for the limit break nonsense, is if your critical HP Squall doesn't want to limit when his turn comes up, you can just cycle between characters (L1 and R1? ) until the game decides that this time his menu comes up he can Limit.

As I wasn't playing myself though, perhaps I am wrong?

Nope, you are completely correct. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with the limit breaks in this game.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
If you want to use a normal attack instead of a Limit Break, you can. Limits don't replace Attack in your menu - instead, if you have one available, you get a right arrow (like this: "Attack >") that indicates that you can press right to change Attack into Limit.

There IS something odd with switching character turns, though. Triangle switches between characters with active turns. If there's only one character with an active turn, it refreshes the window. This also rerolls for whether a Limit Break is available. You can just get Squall down to low-ish HP and then mash Triangle until you see that arrow.

I'm sure you see how this breaks the game.

e:f,b

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Voting for Cooter for Siren, she has a very noticeably hairy blonde vag, or at least that's what it looked like when I was a teen.

By that logic, I'd lean toward some variation of 'feather-bush'; unfortunately, Quackenbush is too long.

I'm going to suggest that Siren be named Kate Bush, as she sings, and her label's name is Fish People.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

MagusofStars posted:

It's pronounced "See Dee" - the game is a metaphor for the evils of technology in the era where cartridge-based gaming had given way to the CD, and suddenly, there was a lot more data available for each game (more for games that used multiple CDs, like Final Fantasies), and the load times were longer.

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax
I vote for Kate Bush

It feels like limits should have a cooldown time especially when most bosses have a fixed attack animation for Renzokuken that completely negates crisis level. I don't think theres anything wrong with leaving the name untranslated like with judo throws.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Kate Bush does seem strangely appropriate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The rubric for attack names is: translate as best you can but if it sounds dumb while conveying the original intent leave it in the original language.

Like all mighty martial war god slash becomes omnislash.

• Locked thread