Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Mans posted:

Is it me or do shotguns suck? I can never kill anyone with a single shot and i'm almost always dead by the time the second shot is ready.

I tried the shotgun in co-op and wasn't impressed. It's powerful, but not a guaranteed kill. Also, the slow ROF makes it hard to take on multiple targets. I'm not that good though, making better use of cover would help. This guy sums it up well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqV4F0XHz6A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Even though this game has some great weapons, I still operated on the mindset that it has a modern video game shotgun where the pellets straight up disappear after a certain distance so I always rolled slugs. I never had any issues dropping people with the shotgun as the enemies I shoot with slugs would disappear in a red mist cloud when I hit them in the upper body.

I really liked the m590 but I heard that the developers gave it a new iron sight which I found unnecessary because I liked having a wide peripheral view to spot new targets and an easy iron sight to read when I shoot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The shotguns don't really feel like they have much of a niche with the carbines available.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
The shotgun with slugs was amazing before the update that added the grenade launchers, it is piss now.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Slugs were a beast way back in the beta days, they would punch through armor pretty easily. Ever since then if I go shotgun, I hardly bother with slugs. Your damage is going to come from hitting the unarmored parts of the enemy. So either aim high or low and you'll usually tear through guys at close to medium range.

The shotguns operate realistically, meaning they're effective with buckshot out to something like 30-40 meters. Slugs are better at range, but rifles are better at that role. I often roll shotgun for the classes that use it, you just have to use it a bit differently.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

quote:

Update 12/12 Changelist

Content
New weapon: M45 for Security, M1911 for Insurgents.
New PVP maps: Buhriz Night and Revolt Night.
New Survival maps: Verticality, Sinjar and Heights.
New Hunt maps: Buhriz and Revolt.
Updated PVP maps: Revolt.
Updated Survival maps: Market and District.
Added foregrip upgrade for AK-74.
Night vision goggles now show on character models in third person.
Flashlight and laser sight added to sniper rifles and LMGs.

Improvements
Improved Survival mode.
Added team icons to squad selection and scoreboard UI.
Updated AI behaviors and visibility especially in night maps.
Adjusted cost of night vision and added it to default loadouts in Hunt mode.
If you pick up an explosive that can only be assigned to the first sub-slot, you will drop any other explosives that follow the same restriction. This prevents players from running around with RPG/AT4, RPG/C4, etc.
If a grenade is dropped on death, friendly fire is redirected to credit the player who killed them instead.
Grenades now deal direct impact damage.
Fixed recoil so that it no longer slowly brings your view down with some weapons.
Fixed pistol slide when you run out of ammo.
Made laser sights less jarring when your weapon is blocked while aiming down sights.
Added cvar cl_ads_fov_scale which allows a user to control the amount of “zoom” ironsights and reflex sights give you.
Global ban system now applies to all servers, not just servers with matchmaking enabled.
Removed cheat flag off of sv_memlimit. Also added sv_maxuptimelimit which defines the maximum uptime of a server (in hours) before it restarts.

Bug Fixes
Fixed matchmaking failing to find servers when too many maps were selected.
Fixed M4A1 not having the EOTech and Elcan scopes in coop modes.
Fixed weight assignment of weapon upgrades.
Fixed some player data not being transmitted to SourceTV.
Fixed toggling motion blur in advanced video options.
Brightness adjustment for nightvision when using OS X, should be closer to Windows version.

Map Updates
Buhriz:
Moved final cache Push to a more secure spot.
Fixed steep displacement on the bridge near SEC’s spawn area.
Contact/Siege:
Increased fade distance of the planters in the main street.
Fixed some sneaky spots throughout the map.
District:
Changes to prevent spawn camping in Push.
Tweaked cover at front of the school.
Heights:
Fixed players getting stuck in a tree near A on Push.
Ministry night/hunt:
Tweaked lighting to make it more friendly for the NVG.
Panj:
Fixed players able to get stuck in a collapsed wall at firefight A.
Peak:
Improved collision model on rocks.
Uprising:
Fixed bug that allowed a player to leave the playable area.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Hey guys I just bought and got my server set up and running. A group of over 10 of us play nightly and decided it was a good idea. Stop on by, add it to favorites, do what you do.

puddruckers competitive PvP
72.5.102.226:27015

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

all apologies posted:

Hey guys I just bought and got my server set up and running. A group of over 10 of us play nightly and decided it was a good idea. Stop on by, add it to favorites, do what you do.

Add a stat tracker and I'm down.

ed

Dammit, more night maps.

Like some of the map changes lately, though.

Anyone have a good comparison of all the weapons?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 15, 2014

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Add a stat tracker and I'm down.

ed

Dammit, more night maps.

Like some of the map changes lately, though.

Anyone have a good comparison of all the weapons?

http://insurgency.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Multiplier

There's a breakdown of the damage multipliers, but there's nothing like symthic for comparison

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Robot Randy posted:

http://insurgency.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Multiplier

There's a breakdown of the damage multipliers, but there's nothing like symthic for comparison

This is still pretty good to know. For example: don't bother going for headshots with most guns, just aim for the torso, because the multiplier is identical.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Here's a much more comprehensive page, which was linked on the wiki article

http://jballou.com/insurgency/stats.php

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Re: Shotgun chat

I shoot men, they fall down. Doesn't really seem to matter whether I'm using slugs or shot.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Mans posted:

Is it me or do shotguns suck? I can never kill anyone with a single shot and i'm almost always dead by the time the second shot is ready.

The shotgun sucks if you load slugs into the thing since they do less damage and are way less likely to hit. Using standard buckshot I get 1 shot kills all the time and it's accurate out to way further out then most video game shotguns are. (like 100m or so, I've gotten kills from the bottom of that ramp up Sinjar) It's actually one of my top 3 shotguns in videogames and I love the thing.

Don't load slugs though, it turns it into a single shot rifle with the gimmick of having terrible sights and sucking rear end.

EDIT: It's particularly good for holding A in that office map that I can't recall the name of at the moment, the one with the huge annoying lobby.

Babby Formed fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 15, 2014

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

There's really no reason to use shotguns when the other guns in the game exist. The assault rifles usually kill in one shot and they can shoot 29 more times immediately after if they don't.

Shotguns are fun, though. They're probably the most non-videogamey in any comparable FPS.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009
The shotgun is super light so if you're planning on spawning in armorless for the runspeed it's my favorite out of the low weight options. It's even light enough to work ok for speed on light armor.

It's only real competition are the semi auto rifles and at that point you're basically using a (better) slug shotgun anyway. If you're using shot it's at least debatable. Unless you actually like the smgs I guess.

EDIT: It's also by far the most viable weapon if you're not rocking a chest rig/carrier IMO, which is a big reason it's the low weight choice.

Babby Formed fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 15, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The MP5 is absolutely ridiculous at pretty much any range where you don't need a 4X to see the people you're shooting at.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The MP5 is absolutely ridiculous at pretty much any range where you don't need a 4X to see the people you're shooting at.

My debate right now is whether it's better to use AP and shoot it through walls, or use HE rounds and count on lots of limb shots due to the high ROF. Technically the HE rounds do more damage to limbs than either of the other two rounds, so it's supposed to be preferrable for the LMB and other "spray" weapons, but I haven't messed around enough with it to see that play out.

On a completely different topic, does anyone have tips on how to tackle the first section of Coop Sinjar, other than "don't get shot"? It's only become tougher than ever with the new bots and a flood of new players.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Stick left and try to maintain some kind of hard cover to your right when moving. Have someone on the team dedicated to covering the right flank if possible. As you approach the second objective (the bridge) front cover takes precedence, but remain far left if you can manage it. Other than that, use vehicles in the road to lean around and be cautious as you approach the buildings under the bridge.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
I would pick AP because it is still a kill shot to the limbs and shooting through walls can make a difference even if it you don't hit anybody it will make the guy behind the wall think twice about advancing. The fact that SMGs don't drop people in one shot with AP might be the reason why I didn't take a liking to them or had a compulsion to bring a pistol unless I am a MG gunner/marksman.

I haven't played COOP Sinjar but I assume the first section is going up the ramp and into the buildings. Even In PVP, it's still a crapshoot so use a ton of smoke to conceal your advance into the buildings or pick off the people on the hill and soften the building up with explosives would be my best guess on how to approach the situation.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Supposedly AP does next to nothing on the MP5K, but I still take it.

I generally take AP on all weapons in PvP, because it's more reliable and more versatile than HP. The idea that you tend to hit people in the extremities more often when they're in the ADS pose compared to when they're running or neutral is probably true, but I think you still mostly just zap people in the chest in this game.

Theoretically it makes sense that AP would overpenetrate with the rifles/carbines and give you some frustrating non-kill shots but it just hasn't been how my experience has played out.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

all apologies posted:

Server Unresponsive

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

An Enormous Boner posted:

Supposedly AP does next to nothing on the MP5K, but I still take it.

I generally take AP on all weapons in PvP, because it's more reliable and more versatile than HP. The idea that you tend to hit people in the extremities more often when they're in the ADS pose compared to when they're running or neutral is probably true, but I think you still mostly just zap people in the chest in this game.

Theoretically it makes sense that AP would overpenetrate with the rifles/carbines and give you some frustrating non-kill shots but it just hasn't been how my experience has played out.

AP is basically the meta, there's no reason not to take it ever.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Too bad they won't change it to be an MP5A4.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Dvsilverwing posted:

AP is basically the meta, there's no reason not to take it ever.

Counterpoint: foregrips on automatic rifles. Some of the higher powered rounds already perform well against armor and standard rounds that land on target are better than AP that misses. AP is a solid addition but I don't always prioritize it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
According to http://jballou.com/insurgency/stats.php#ammo AP rounds just flat out do three times as much damage to people as non-AP rounds, which seems really weird.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

According to http://jballou.com/insurgency/stats.php#ammo AP rounds just flat out do three times as much damage to people as non-AP rounds, which seems really weird.

Actually if you look at that, AP only does increased damage to the torso. But oddly, HP does increased damage to the limbs, but actually does decreased damage to unarmored torsos. That's an odd fudge with the armor system.

EDIT: Although it looks like the decreased HP torso damage is still enough to kill in one shot assuming a player has 100HP. So gameplay wise it doesn't matter much.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 16, 2014

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

LogisticEarth posted:

Counterpoint: foregrips on automatic rifles. Some of the higher powered rounds already perform well against armor and standard rounds that land on target are better than AP that misses. AP is a solid addition but I don't always prioritize it.

Foregrips and heavy barrels are also good for general hip fire, which can be pretty useful in some situations. I think they are another example of useful attachments for breaching rooms.

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Another update went up tonight.

quote:

Today we are releasing a small hotfix to address a few issues that became apparent since our previous update. We have addressed an audio cache related issue that led to frequent ‘stuttering’ for some players. If you experienced the stuttering issues, let us know whether this fixed them. We have also made some tweaks to AI behaviors in Coop modes that should improve the experience overall. Please continue to post your feedback as we continue to improve upon the bots. Full changelist below:

Optimization
-Fixed audio cache issue that would lead to frequent “stuttering” on machines that use hard disks instead of solid state drives when audio files were being streamed into memory.

Bug Fixes
-Fixed gaining score in Ambush for TK’ing the VIP.
-Fixed not gaining two supply in Survival when securing a safehouse.
-Fixed missing AP and HP ammo icons for M1911 and M45.
-Fixed wood grips for AKM, AKS-74U and AK-47 costing only 1 supply instead of 2 like all the other grips.
-Fixed missing map vote images for new maps added in the 12/12 update.
-Fixed navmesh issue in Buhriz_coop.
-Ministry: Fixed some car windows inside the garage blocking bullets when destroyed.
-Revolt: Moved cache A Flashpoint out of restricted zone.
-Revolt: Fixed several soundscape issues.
-Revolt: Fixed a small graphical glitch in the sky near INS spawn area.
-Sinjar: Fixed attacking team not set for Strike.

Coop Improvements
-Improved bot targeting so they no longer prioritize aiming for a player’s head.
-Adjusted bot aim penalty and aggressiveness.
-Bots slide less and no longer shoot or turn while doing so.
-Suppressing bots will make it more difficult for them to shoot back at you.
-Bots no longer fire while mid-air if they’re falling.
-Bots utilize grenades more efficiently.
-Bot voice-over frequency reduced.
-Improved bot flashlight behavior in Survival.
-If you are part of securing a safehouse in Survival, you will get 2 supply instead of 1.
-M1911 costs the same as other pistols in Survival.

Features
-Added Freetype rendering for fonts which results in better anti-aliasing. Currently only on Windows.

Content
-Updated M45 texture.
-New M1911 animations.
-Removed green night sights on M9.
-Improved night vision goggle placement on the Insurgent VIP.

If you are crashing, please post your dump here and let us know whether you are an Nvidia or AMD video card user. We suspect there may be a crash linked to the most recent AMD driver update, so getting more feedback from users would help us greatly.

Thanks

Glad to see they've made the co-op bots a bit less insane.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

deck posted:

They seem to tweak the bot difficulty every other patch, so co-op's always got this Goldilocks thing going on.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

deck posted:

Did they fix that bug where if someone yells "OH poo poo RPG" your entire squad dies a second later?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

Did they fix that bug where if someone yells "OH poo poo RPG" your entire squad dies a second later?

That's a feature, not a bug.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Played a few rounds last night for the first time in a while. I like some of the newer features like greater flexibility with your grenade loadout. But they seemed to have tightened up on the weapons available to each class. Demolitions can no longer grab the UMP, which sucks. Also it seems that Insurgents have lost the perk of being able to have a zero-supply AKM for all classes. I always thought that was a good asymmetric counter to Security's free armor. Was there any discussion as to why they made that change?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

They made it so that the different classes have more individual loadouts - weapon sets are more distinct, attachments and guns cost varied amounts depending on class, etc. I don't know if they ever officially said why, but it was probably to keep everyone from just being a guy with an M16 / AK, which is pretty much what it was for a while.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

How is that a counterpoint? Just take both.

LogisticEarth posted:

Played a few rounds last night for the first time in a while. I like some of the newer features like greater flexibility with your grenade loadout. But they seemed to have tightened up on the weapons available to each class. Demolitions can no longer grab the UMP, which sucks. Also it seems that Insurgents have lost the perk of being able to have a zero-supply AKM for all classes. I always thought that was a good asymmetric counter to Security's free armor. Was there any discussion as to why they made that change?

They changed it because Security no longer gets free light armor or chest rig, they both cost 1 supply now IIRC.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's kind of silly, since there's absolutely nothing wrong with every class having access to the same basic primary in the form of the M16/AKM (also because those guns are both cheap and super good). :(

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sayfB4yrbdA

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Always play at max brightness.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there any reason not to use a foregrip aside from points?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Dvsilverwing posted:

How is that a counterpoint? Just take both.

Not always possible to afford both depending on the rest of the loadout, as I said, duh.

quote:

They changed it because Security no longer gets free light armor or chest rig, they both cost 1 supply now IIRC.

Ah, yeah, just noticed that. But the AKM is 1 point for the classes that have it too. Not sure why you just can't select it for all classes like before. Stuff like scout where the only other option for 1 supply is the M1A1, which is kind of crap.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

I play a lot of co-op, so that phrase now fills me with dread whenever I hear it. In one very short match, a guy screamed it and the immediate retort was THREE RPG rounds blasting various parts of the spawn point. Instant TPK.

Fuckin spawn-camping terrorists... :argh:

Have they loosened up on the default points? On stock servers, I was always running around with 0 grenades and no side-arm, just to be able to afford a non-lovely gun and some decent armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
It's p fun to pretend you're big boss and run around with a 1911.

While loving around on the night maps I found that the flare gun damages players

• Locked thread