Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
gently caress it just do COM, it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pram posted:

whats wrong with named pipes huh

pram posted:

unix sockets and named pipes should be good enough for anyone

at a previous job I once got into a brief shouting match with a coworker who insistently thought this for everything

not my finest hour but goddamn was that guy a dbag

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

did Ubuntu Phone ship anywhere? FirefoxOS has woes, some originally my fault, but it got into the hands of humans inexpensively at least (and exceeded carrier no-doubt-cynical expectations).

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

did Ubuntu Phone ship anywhere? FirefoxOS has woes, some originally my fault, but it got into the hands of humans inexpensively at least (and exceeded carrier no-doubt-cynical expectations).

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

quote:

Typing on the Cloud FX is pure agony, and this is one of those really crippling deal breakers that makes the Cloud FX a bad phone at any price. The keyboard doesn't support multitouch, so you if press "Q" and "P" at the same time it splits the difference between the touch points and enters "Y."

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Progressive JPEG posted:

at a previous job I once got into a brief shouting match with a coworker who insistently thought this for everything

was he one of "young and ignorant" or "old and dunning-kruger stupid"

i have this theory, which is mine, that sincerely believing ~~the unix way~~ is the one true structure of an operation system is highly correlated to being in one of these two states

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

was he one of "young and ignorant" or "old and dunning-kruger stupid"

i have this theory, which is mine, that sincerely believing ~~the unix way~~ is the one true structure of an operation system is highly correlated to being in one of these two states

you can tell someone is the latter if they think EINTR is no big deal

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
My favorite followup to that is "well, terrible feature X isn't actually the UNIX way. It was invented by some evil people at SGI, or Sun, or Berkley, or HP, or IBM, or *fart*"

See: BSD sockets, ioctl, threading.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

just use MOC

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lmao at this

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:barf:

by all means use KDE if you want the computing environment you spend 8+ hours a day in front of to look like utter poo poo

GNOME 3 looks really pretty and is plenty usable but I'm sure the minute it starts to be really stable and functional they'll CADT it into oblivion and start again from scratch with GNOME 4. Like CADT was literally coined to describe GNOME's development process. It's sad too, all it would take to avoid that stigma is to keep GNOME 2, GTK 2 etc officially supported until its anointed replacement is out of pre-alpha proof-of-concept phase, but supporting the old and boring poo poo isn't fun.

(I keep meaning to contribute to GNOME because i am a very shallow person and can put up with a lot of poo poo from something this pretty looking actually but lol @ having the free time to do that. all hail capitalism)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

by all means use a computer if you want the computing environment you spend 8+ hours a day in front of to look like utter poo poo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

My favorite followup to that is "well, terrible feature X isn't actually the UNIX way. It was invented by some evil people at SGI, or Sun, or Berkley, or HP, or IBM, or *fart*"

See: BSD sockets, ioctl, threading.
its true, X is a terrible feature

Malcolm XML posted:

gently caress it just do COM, it works
unironically this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

what depravity is this op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:pwn:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

this is the most kde i have ever seen

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
can you minimi^W temporarily dismiss windows in gnome 3?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Super+H

The "H" is for "hide".

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

*opens a file*

*reads from and writes to it*

kdbus is totally different to sockets guys

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

Super+H

The "H" is for "hide".

thanks

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

*opens a file*

*reads from and writes to it*

kdbus is totally different to sockets guys

Things that kdbus has that sockets do not:

• Service discovery. A DNS-inspired approach where services can own "bus names". For instance, to open a desktop notification, you send it to the service that owns "org.freedesktop.Notifications". This is done transparently so that you do not need to do the bus name lookup yourself, though you can.
  • A standard protocol for structured data, including complex data types (structures, dictionaries), and support for call-response-style RPC.
  • Multicast. One message can be sent to multiple listeners, all by the bus itself, and not by the protocol. This is tracked by a bloom filter in the kernel. So, anybody that's listening might be interested in hearing about dynamic updates to services, without having to watch for a filesystem event.
  • Optimal (sometimes zero-copy) secure message passing. Even though messages are mmap'd shmem, messages are guaranteed to be sealed, which means that nobody can change their contents or change their size. So I, a rogue application, cannot pass an FD to an untrusted application and call ftruncate() afterwards causing the receiving application to SIGBUS when reading from it.

And plenty more.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Service discovery. A DNS-inspired approach where services can own "bus names". For instance, to open a desktop notification, you send it to the service that owns "org.freedesktop.Notifications". This is done transparently so that you do not need to do the bus name lookup yourself, though you can.
If only the unix filesystem had a way of naming objects.

quote:

A standard protocol for structured data, including complex data types (structures, dictionaries), and support for call-response-style RPC.
None of this is kdbus, it's just a convention on top of kdbus.

quote:

Multicast. One message can be sent to multiple listeners, all by the bus itself, and not by the protocol. This is tracked by a bloom filter in the kernel. So, anybody that's listening might be interested in hearing about dynamic updates to services, without having to watch for a filesystem event.
Because the accept syscall is to easy.

quote:

Optimal (sometimes zero-copy) secure message passing. Even though messages are mmap'd shmem, messages are guaranteed to be sealed, which means that nobody can change their contents or change their size. So I, a rogue application, cannot pass an FD to an untrusted application and call ftruncate() afterwards causing the receiving application to SIGBUS when reading from it.
Because people mutating data after writing it to a socket is such a problem.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

every pixel of this is amazing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

by all means use KDE if you want the computing environment you spend 8+ hours a day in front of to look like utter poo poo

it's much more important that it work well than look good

you're right though man is that hideous

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Progressive JPEG posted:

LOL if you give enough of a poo poo about your job to get in a shouting match with someone.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
dce rpc supremacy

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

they didnt even apply scaling to the spectrum analyzer to shrink the vast plains of treble, leaving most of what you perceive with only 1/4 of the width :arghfist:

keyvin posted:

LOL if you give enough of a poo poo about your job to get in a shouting match with someone.

ya tbh this was the key mistake

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

:barf:

picking a desktop environment on linux is like selecting the least stinky peice of garbage from a dumpster, its always gonna smell no matter what u pick. also gnome's screen configurator just defaulted to two cloned screens every restart while kde has remembered to not cross the streams

Progressive JPEG posted:

they didnt even apply scaling to the spectrum analyzer to shrink the vast plains of treble, leaving most of what you perceive with only 1/4 of the width :arghfist:

its even better in my case due to my hosed up ears not hearing anything above 13khz

this was pretty cool though, i accidentally yanked out the cord for my audio card and then plugged it back in and this popped up and it started playin sound again

when using windows, 1/3 of the time it switches to the 3.5mm on the back until manually set back to usb dac as default device, 1/3 of the time it automatically re selects it, and the other 1/3 it shits the bed so hard no amount of pluggin or port switching gives me sound until a reboot

2014 year of pulseaudio/alsa/??? linux sound competency on the desktop, still cant work out button scaling via their text tho apparently

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Palace of Hate posted:

this was pretty cool though, i accidentally yanked out the cord for my audio card and then plugged it back in and this popped up and it started playin sound again

when using windows, 1/3 of the time it switches to the 3.5mm on the back until manually set back to usb dac as default device, 1/3 of the time it automatically re selects it, and the other 1/3 it shits the bed so hard no amount of pluggin or port switching gives me sound until a reboot

2014 year of pulseaudio/alsa/??? linux sound competency on the desktop, still cant work out button scaling via their text tho apparently

your bios might let you turn off the built-in audio

i also have a fiio (e17) at work but cant really tell the difference oh well rule 36

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

your bios might let you turn off the built-in audio

i also have a fiio (e17) at work but cant really tell the difference oh well rule 36

the reason I use an amp is so i can crank it for my deaf ears to be able to hear the sound not so i can buy packages of crystals to balance on top of it to achieve audiophilic enlightenment

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

Because people mutating data after writing it to a socket is such a problem.

How is that zero-copy?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
my favorite bit of the gnome shell is the sliding lock screen which protects me from accidentally clicking on anything when I shove my ATX tower, 24" monitors, keyboard, and mouse into my pockets (power supply is strapped to my back).

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm the wiki page for actual tools

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Phoenixan posted:

i'm the actual tool

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i like amarok :3:

it works perfectly to play music and copy it to a ipod nano and it looks great

pram
Jun 10, 2001
It actually looks like poo poo

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
live chat: I am installing ubuntu right now, because it is free as in "free beer" and whenever I see a linux software download it is an ubuntu version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tin Gang posted:

live chat: I am installing ubuntu right now, because it is free as in "free beer" and whenever I see a linux software download it is an ubuntu version

you're doing it wrong