Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Writing a new app from scratch is a lot easier than updating an existing app that you may or may not have all the code to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I went ahead and bought an ASUS UX303LA from Amazon and just recently got it. 1080p screen, i5-4210u, 128 gb SSD, 8 gb RAM. Was $850 when I bought it and appears to be $899 now. Had been looking for an ultrabook for school for a few months. Would anyone be interested in a small write up after I have used it for a bit?

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
Hi all, I'm in the process of returning my Dell XPS15 (L521X) to the manufacturer because, in just under a year and a half this happened:

• 4x screen+lids (dead pixels galore)
  • 1x speakers
  • 1x hdd
  • 1x keyboard
  • 1x cover at bottom

so, yeah. What do you folks recommend to replace it with, considering how apart from the constant screen replacements this has been the best laptop I have ever used, the best looking, gently caress, it even beats the Macbooks for appearance.

I've been thinking of a Macbook, but I've already spent £1450 on this laptop, and I don't really want to spend another £600 to get one of a decent spec...

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, this is entirely up to application developers to handle (or not handle, as the case may be). Some programs work great, and then some are from Adobe.

http://anandtech.com/show/7939/scaling-windows-the-dpi-arms-race is a decent article to explain what goes on. In the end, when the majority of your users are using shitbox 1366 * 768 displays, developers just don't end up spending the time to do it right. High DPI displays are becoming more common, but you'd better believe that the vast majority of stuff out there is still low res dogshit.

The stuff that isn't low res crap is mostly tables, which have much stricter approaches as far as what apps can do on their own.

Thats a bummer. Is there anyway to check if apps play well with high dpi?

Edit: I mean could I somehow see a preview of how VS 2013 looks at various resolutions?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, this is entirely up to application developers to handle (or not handle, as the case may be). Some programs work great, and then some are from Adobe.

http://anandtech.com/show/7939/scaling-windows-the-dpi-arms-race is a decent article to explain what goes on. In the end, when the majority of your users are using shitbox 1366 * 768 displays, developers just don't end up spending the time to do it right. High DPI displays are becoming more common, but you'd better believe that the vast majority of stuff out there is still low res dogshit.

The stuff that isn't low res crap is mostly tables, which have much stricter approaches as far as what apps can do on their own.

True. 1366x768 TN panels are still the norm for a lot of reasons. Businesses wanting something cheap when they order a lot of laptops, older users who want a resolution where everything is gigantic, and budget users who don't care about quality. Also the fact that it's basically a widescreen 1024x768, which was the standard for many, many years. I guess when 95% of your laptop users are on a lovely 768p TN screen, adapating your application for a small number of users with high dpi IPS screens is probably not a high priority.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

B-Mac posted:

I went ahead and bought an ASUS UX303LA from Amazon and just recently got it. 1080p screen, i5-4210u, 128 gb SSD, 8 gb RAM. Was $850 when I bought it and appears to be $899 now. Had been looking for an ultrabook for school for a few months. Would anyone be interested in a small write up after I have used it for a bit?

I, for one, am always interested to hear what people have to say about the laptops they purchase. If nothing else it will let me look online for other reviews to see if what you mention might be a trend or a(n) (un)fortunate one-off.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

So I've been using Steam In Home Streaming to play modern games on my lovely 2009 laptop streamed from my nice gaming desktop, and I'm extremely impressed with how well it works.

The only problem atm is that this laptop is so old that the hardware video decoder in it can only handle decoding up to 720p without dropping tons of frames. CPU isn't fast enough to handle 1080p using software decoding either, I tried and it's even worse.

My question is, can I buy a cheap laptop released in the last year or so with lovely integrated graphics and be confident that it will have no problem displaying a high bitrate 1080p video stream smoothly? Thereby avoiding paying for a loving expensive gaming laptop.

Torka fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 16, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Gfs macbook pro took a poo poo and can't be salvaged.

She really likes macs but would be find with a nice similar laptop. Even old macbook pros still net a lot on craigslist.

How are these deals?

http://computers.woot.com/offers/asus-13-zenbook-intel-core-i5-ultrabook-1?ref=cnt_wp_2_4

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...hnomkhxbs20whhx

No backlit which is a bust

http://computers.woot.com/offers/dell-15-6-quad-core-touchscreen-laptop-6?ref=cnt_wp_5_5

Budget is around $500-600. Should I just pay the difference and get a macbook air?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 16, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

B-Mac posted:

:justpost:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Christoff posted:

Gfs macbook pro took a poo poo and can't be salvaged.

She really likes macs but would be find with a nice similar laptop. Even old macbook pros still net a lot on craigslist.

How are these deals?

http://computers.woot.com/offers/asus-13-zenbook-intel-core-i5-ultrabook-1?ref=cnt_wp_2_4

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...hnomkhxbs20whhx

No backlit which is a bust

http://computers.woot.com/offers/dell-15-6-quad-core-touchscreen-laptop-6?ref=cnt_wp_5_5

Budget is around $500-600. Should I just pay the difference and get a macbook air?

Does she really need a MBP or could she live with an Air?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I guess when 95% of your laptop users are on a lovely 768p TN screen, adapating your application for a small number of users with high dpi IPS screens is probably not a high priority.
But for a company like Adobe who sells $1,000 software that's run on pretty decent to high-end machines...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bob Morales posted:

But for a company like Adobe who sells $1,000 software that's run on pretty decent to high-end machines...

Adobe also sells to enterprise contexts and to schools and universities.

Also Photoshop has always been buggy, crummy trash in every other respect so yeah.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Torka posted:

So I've been using Steam In Home Streaming to play modern games on my lovely 2009 laptop streamed from my nice gaming desktop, and I'm extremely impressed with how well it works.

The only problem atm is that this laptop is so old that the hardware video decoder in it can only handle decoding up to 720p without dropping tons of frames. CPU isn't fast enough to handle 1080p using software decoding either, I tried and it's even worse.

My question is, can I buy a cheap laptop released in the last year or so with lovely integrated graphics and be confident that it will have no problem displaying a high bitrate 1080p video stream smoothly? Thereby avoiding paying for a loving expensive gaming laptop.

Anything with a modern Haswell (i5-4xxx) chip will do just fine. You should be able to hit up something like the Lenovo outlet and get a good deal there. Not needing a discrete GPU gives you tons of options. Probably the only thing you'd really care about is the screen quality.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Preface: I hate shopping for laptops and do not keep up to date on things very well.

I was going to re-purpose an old, but decent desktop to replace my girlfriend's terrible old machine running XP, but now I'm thinking about just getting her a laptop for Christmas instead.

It would spend 90% of its life doing facebook and email, but we do have a GoPro4 and I want it to be able to handle playback of 4K 30fps and 1080p 120fps videos. It'll likely sit on a desk with a spare monitor and external kb/mouse hooked up a lot of the time, but she does work a job where she may want to bring it along for downtime. I'd like to keep it in the $500 range, but I don't know how reasonable that is.

Oh, and able to get here before Christmas would also be nice :)

Is there something that fits these requirements?

Also, are the barnes and noble gold deals gone now? This link brings me to an error:
http://www.lenovo.com/barnesnoble

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 16, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Dave posted:

Does she really need a MBP or could she live with an Air?

Oh an air is fine

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Grumpwagon posted:

Hi Laptop thread!

I'm looking to get my sister a laptop to take with her to college this year. We're in the US. Main usage is papers and basic web browsing and stuff, but she'd also like to do some light gaming. Mostly old stuff like Heroes 3, but if she could play some more recent stuff (mostly Skyrim era, not talking new console ports or anything), that'd be a nice bonus. She likes The Sims too, although I know that can be a beast to run properly.

I don't care about a touchscreen (unless I should, I'm a linux person, not sure if it is useful for windows). She's used to Windows, but a Mac isn't out of the question. I just think it might be out of my price range. I'd love an SSD, just from my own experience of how much nicer that can be. I'm fine with buying it separately and installing it if that makes more sense. An IPS screen would be nice, but even a decent TN screen would be a huge upgrade from what she's using now.

Used or refurbished is fine, if that makes more sense than new. eBay is a pain, but I'm fine with that if it delivers value. I'll just need some help picking out what I should be looking for.

The most important thing is that it lasts 4 years and doesn't fall apart. She's had a series of really horrible computers, and I'd like this not to be another one.

TL;DR: College laptop, light gaming, ~$700 but flexible. Probably Windows. Used or refurbished is fine, if it meets all other criteria. Most important is that it will last 4 years. If I have to spend more, I'll live.

To follow up on this, I am looking at the Lenovo T440 (not the S/P/whatever). This is a recommended model from the OP, but the OP is a bit old. Is that still a good idea?

By default, it comes with a 500gb 7200 rpm platter drive for a total of ~$750. For Lenovo to upgrade to a 128gb SSD, it costs about $100. This also changes the name from "Lenovo T440" to "Lenovo T440 ultrabook with SSD," and changes the windows version to 8.1 from 8. I realize 8.1 is a free upgrade from 8, but does this mean I'm buying a previous generation laptop? It has the same generation/model CPU ("4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200U Processor( 1.60GHz 1600MHz 3MB)")

I asked their sales support chat if the drive was user replaceable without voiding the warranty, and they said it was. Would it be a bad idea to buy a decent SSD and replace it myself? I'm comfortable building desktops, and I've replaced the fan on my ancient laptop, so I think I'm capable. Is it just a normal 2.5" drive?

While I'm in there, I was thinking of adding another 4gb stick of ram, but I can't figure out what form factor the memory is? Would this work? All the tech specs page on the lenovo website says is: 4.0GB PC3L-10600 DDR3L 1333 MHz

Thanks again!

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 16, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

HP Chromebooks are back at Woot: http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-14-dual-core-chromebooks-w-free-4g-22

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Grumpwagon posted:

To follow up on this, I am looking at the Lenovo T440 (not the S/P/whatever). This is a recommended model from the OP, but the OP is a bit old. Is that still a good idea?

By default, it comes with a 500gb 7200 rpm platter drive for a total of ~$750. For Lenovo to upgrade to a 128gb SSD, it costs about $100.

I asked their sales support chat if the drive was user replaceable without voiding the warranty, and they said it was. Would it be a bad idea to buy a decent SSD and replace it myself? I'm comfortable building desktops, and I've replaced the fan on my ancient laptop, so I think I'm capable. Is it just a normal 2.5" drive?

While I'm in there, I was thinking of adding another 4gb stick of ram, but I can't figure out what form factor the memory is? Would this work? All the tech specs page on the lenovo website says is: 4.0GB PC3L-10600 DDR3L 1333 MHz

Thanks again!

Yes, T440 family is still a good choice all around.

Yes, buy your own SSD and install it, very easy and quick to install.

Memory is DDR3L (for low voltage) in a SODIMM. What you've linked is the right form factor but 1.5v where 1.35v is needed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

t chat if the drive was user replaceable without voiding the warranty, and they said it was. Would it be a bad idea to buy a decent SSD and replace it myself? I'm comfortable building desktops, and I've replaced the fan on my ancient laptop, so I think I'm capable. Is it just a normal 2.5" drive?
Yes, you can use a regular 2.5" drive. Check to see if you need a 7mm drive though, some smaller laptops require them and some drives come with an adapter piece to make them 9mm (thickness, you can rig something with a piece of cardboard if you have to)

quote:

DDR3L is the low-voltage, 1.35v memory, not 1.5v

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Excellent, thank you to you both. I'm putting the order in now.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
This seems like a really good deal, right?
Lenovo Y50 Core i7 15.6" 1080p gaming laptop with GeForce GTX 860M, 16GB RAM for $939
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...Bargains&NID=CJ

I wish that they had the option for just a SSD though.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Anything with a modern Haswell (i5-4xxx) chip will do just fine. You should be able to hit up something like the Lenovo outlet and get a good deal there. Not needing a discrete GPU gives you tons of options. Probably the only thing you'd really care about is the screen quality.

Alright, thanks a lot dude. :) And yeah the other reason is I'd like to get one with a 17" screen, current one's only 15.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Uziel posted:

This seems like a really good deal, right?
Lenovo Y50 Core i7 15.6" 1080p gaming laptop with GeForce GTX 860M, 16GB RAM for $939
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...Bargains&NID=CJ

I wish that they had the option for just a SSD though.

Yes, it is. I have one, and it is REALLY nice. try to read a few pages back, and you will get most questions answered, and if you have other questions, just ask!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Anyone have any thoughts/reviews on the new Dell Latitude 13 7000 series detachable 2-in-1?

I'm thinking about getting it.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 18, 2014

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.
So I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'm not very hardware savvy so I was wondering if I could get some ideas. What I want is one that can run world of warcraft and league at medium/high settings. Price is also a concern, and I live in the UK. My plan is just to use the monitor and keyboard/mouse setup from my old desktop computer.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I travel for business every week, and I need a new personal laptop for the road. Was considering the Lenovo Yoga, but I'm hesitant about jumping into the world of touchscreen WinTel. If I get an Alienware, I can get Win7, and do some light gaming.

Anyone seen the new Alienware 13 inch laptop first hand?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-13/pd?oc=dkcwe05h&model_id=alienware-13

Seems like a good tradeoff between portable formfactor and power.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Further trip reports on the Lenovo Y50 UHD - still enjoying the insane high resolution in the form of very very small writing. Still hate the touchpad. Been playing Alan Wake at medium settings and medium-high resolution (I think I picked 1920x1200, so not all the way up at the 3K). I'm confident I could turn some things and up and still have a smooth experience, but I'm equally confident I wouldn't notice the difference. Most impressive thing is that I can play for 3 hours and the machine barely even gets warm.

Also enjoying, though it's not really to do with the laptop, that Windows 8 complains that I'm running low on memory while playing Alan Wake even though I always had more than half of the 16GB unused. Apparently this is just something that Windows 8 does, and you can turn it off using the group policy editor if you have Pro, or with creating some keys with regedit if you don't. Thanks Microsoft. I've already had to do 4 regedit hacks and use 2 third-party programs to make the operating system usable.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Are you using any kind of scaling with the 3K resolution? I gave up on scaling on my 1440p X1 Carbon. It just seems to create too many issues. I've just been leaving it at 100% at 1440p, which is actually still readable but small, and zooming as needed.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone have any thoughts/reviews on the new Dell Latitude 13 7000 series detachable 2-in-1?

I'm thinking about getting it.

This has me excited. I've been using the detachable form factor with an 10 inch android tablet for 3 years now. It's still fine for HD media and pdfs and the 1920x1200 IPS screen at 10.1 is more then fine DPI wise so I haven't been in the biggest rush to buy something like a surface just yet.

My dream upgrade is a 13 inch version of this setup, that is light enough to do some basic reading at 1:1 scale of A4 8.5x11 content with some kind of accurate stylus/digital pen for markup ability. I've been spoiled by all day battery life, no heat or fans.

It seems like there might actually be a few more models in this space now with Broadwell and eventually skylake. I'm cautiously optimistic but more hopeful in windows 8.1/10 detachables then android tablets going past 10-11 inch territory. Waiting for IFA/reviews in this space..

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Holy poo poo I replied to an old post.

What is the current "decent cheap laptops" for someone that just wants to youtube, etc? Just get a chromebook?

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Squashy Nipples posted:

Anyone seen the new Alienware 13 inch laptop first hand?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-13/pd?oc=dkcwe05h&model_id=alienware-13

Seems like a good tradeoff between portable formfactor and power.

If money is not an issue, I think the best part about that laptop is the first-party external GPU. You can do an eGPU setup on a lot of laptops with expresscard slots, but it is buggy even on the most stable of setups.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just go with a Sager gaming laptop imo. But that external poo poo is pretty nifty

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Are you using any kind of scaling with the 3K resolution? I gave up on scaling on my 1440p X1 Carbon. It just seems to create too many issues. I've just been leaving it at 100% at 1440p, which is actually still readable but small, and zooming as needed.
No, I'm just enjoying hilariously tiny fonts. I set it to 100% (the default was some unspecified magnification on an unnumbered sliding scale, it looked like about 3x. If I didn't want more screen real-estate I wouldn't have got the high-res screen!).
I have set the kinds of windows I do programming in to use 12pt fonts rather than my usual 10pt, that's the only concession I've made to the limitations of eyesight. (A Chrome "Hangouts" window is less than two inches wide with these settings.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Holy poo poo I replied to an old post.

What is the current "decent cheap laptops" for someone that just wants to youtube, etc? Just get a chromebook?
I've been very pleased with my Chromebook so far. 11+ hour battery life is a game changer.

The built in media player doesn't do MKV files, but converting h264 MKV to h264 MP4 on my desktop beforehand is quick and easy, and supposedly a better player is coming soon.

Other than that, it's been problem-free.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Christoff posted:

Just go with a Sager gaming laptop imo. But that external poo poo is pretty nifty

I will look into that, thank you.
A friend of mine with expensive tastes also recommended this brand: http://www.originpc.com/

Agreed, the external card cage is very nifty, but I don't need it, since I have a very nice full sized gaming box at home. Again, the form factor of the 13 inch Alienware was it's greatest appeal.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I've been very pleased with my Chromebook so far. 11+ hour battery life is a game changer.

The built in media player doesn't do MKV files, but converting h264 MKV to h264 MP4 on my desktop beforehand is quick and easy, and supposedly a better player is coming soon.

Other than that, it's been problem-free.

Sold.

Chanukah/xmas gift for the wife, enroute. How are different models, though? I was going to get her http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JI9HISQ/ - asus chromebook 300, 32 gigs and 4gb ram.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 19, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Sold.

Chanukah/xmas gift for the wife, enroute. How are different models, though? I was going to get her http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JI9HISQ/ - asus chromebook 300, 32 gigs and 4gb ram.

The Asus 200 and 300 Chromebooks get good reviews, and you definitely want one with 4GB ram, for cases when you have 10-15+ tabs open at once. 32GB local storage over 16GB doesn't matter nearly as much, you can use USB storage and SD cards to make up for it, and you're not going to be storing large amounts of local data on a Chromebook anyway. Plus right now I believe you get 1TB of Google Drive space with all Chromebooks for 2 years.

Personally I prefer the 13.3" form factor. It fits better on my lap than the smaller models, and the keyboard+touchpad combo tends to be a little less cramped.

The only thing I would be wary of is the 1366x768 resolution. This may be just fine for your wife depending on what she's used to, most people don't appear to care much about resolution. I knew I had to have one with a 1920x1080 resolution screen, so that severely limited my options. I think the only Chromebooks with full HD screens right now are the Acer Chromebook 13 (which I have), the Samsung Chromebook 2 and the Toshiba Chromebook 2. The Toshiba is probably the best one, all-round. It's got less battery life than the Acer, but the display is gorgeous.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Re: Chromebook chat

How's the lenovo n20p? The specs look nice, but is the screen good?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm thinking of selling my Dv6-6145dx do you guys know how much it's worth? (I'm also selling a couple of controllers, but I already have an idea.)

e: Best Buy gave me $50 for it.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Klaus Kinski posted:

Re: Chromebook chat

How's the lenovo n20p? The specs look nice, but is the screen good?

Outside of pretty much only the Thinkpad 11e Touch and the Toshiba Chromebook 2, there are no "good" Chromebook screens. The best you're really going to get is "acceptable" or "not completely useless". Chromebooks are cheap machines with cheap TN panels for the most part.

From what I gather, the n20p is neither better nor worse than other 11.6" Chromebooks.