Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

psydude posted:

Healthcare IT: not even once.

It's not too bad, as long as you can get far enough away from the actual doctors/nurses/hospitals that you never have to deal with them. I work for the corporate part of our hospital system and my interaction with doctors/nurses is exactly 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I routinely have to deal with agency nurses and docs that have no business being around a computer. It's miserable

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I deal with people who have been drilling oil in the North Sea for 40-50 years and have seen some poo poo come and go, but they are amazed, puzzled and incapacitated when I give them a new computer and the power button isn't in the same location as the last one they had.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

I deal with people who have been drilling oil in the North Sea for 40-50 years and have seen some poo poo come and go, but they are amazed, puzzled and incapacitated when I give them a new computer and the power button isn't in the same location as the last one they had.

Don't worry, I'm sure the cloud will solve that

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

mattfl posted:

It's not too bad, as long as you can get far enough away from the actual doctors/nurses/hospitals that you never have to deal with them. I work for the corporate part of our hospital system and my interaction with doctors/nurses is exactly 0.

Word. I deal with Healthcare data all day, and it leaves me wanting to drink but not half as drinky drinky as some of y'all.

I'm still mad we don't get Friday afternoon beers at our small location. THE KIDS AT HQ GET ALL THE COOL THINGS. :cry:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: the main take home is when you tell poo poo to a shrink it has to go into a computer. Because insurance. That's why you should be afraid.

That sounds like one enormous lawsuit.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Zero VGS posted:

Hipaa is a joke to the fortune 500 hospitals I used to work at where million dollar fines are pocket change to them. I caught doctors putting up patient records a thousand at a time to plaintext Google docs links because it was more convenient to access, no pesky passwords or audit trails. I brought it to the CEOs and they all cover up the breaches and slap the doctors on the wrist. So glad to be done with that hosed up industry. I swear it, never tell your doctor anything you wouldn't tell Google because you're a minute away from it.

Well, we're a community hospital, so those fines would be financially disastrous, so we (at least IT and administration) take it seriously and do our best to prevent breach.

I agree though, doctors will do whatever the gently caress is most convenient for them at any time, whether that is writing poo poo on a sticky note or texting sensitive info to another doctor, with little to no repercussions if discovered.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My last job was working in hospitals (as a biomed tech) and I can also attest to the...I don't want to say stupidity, but...well, yeah stupidity, of some of the doctors and nurses.

I understand that not everyone has the same knowledge base, and they probably think I'm an idiot for not knowing correct CPR technique, or whatever, but there is a lower limit.

I would get calls/service tickets for poo poo like:

"Blood pressure machine keeps saying low battery and turns off when unplugged."

Or,

"The machine says to change the filter...should I change the filter?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I have been training 2 new HelpDesk hires this month and have never been more motivated to quit. Both are over 50 with years and years of experience. They also seem to have no idea how a ticketing system works, one of them refuses to wear glasses even though it is obvious that he can not see the screen. I have to explain everything at least 4 times. One if them spent his first week making fun of women in IT and threw a fit about how he needs a laptop and Iphone. I keep explaining to my bosses how we need to just restart the intern program we had and staff the HelpDesk from that. Neither wants to because it involves paperwork.

e: also we are still on XP. This does not help my mood/suicidal tendencies.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 16, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'll close our doors before I ever take on another healthcare client.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

jim truds posted:

get out

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm working on getting back into an much more IT focused career after a 12 year hiatus. After reading a bit on the cert thread I decided to start studying rhcsa instead of lpic.

However I do not know what kind of responsibilities a junior Linux system admin job entails. It seems like a good way to get my foot in the door to a new career while I find out exactly what I want to do in IT. Also I think it would provide me with a large variety of tasks to perform. My current job is very monotonous.

My job 12 years ago was doing software qa for a company that made vulnerability testing software (among other things). So I would setup various *nix/windows distros with services in a vulnerable state so the software could detect it.

I already am using vmware and cbt nuggets(lpic exam though) for studying. And will be picking up this http://www.amazon.com/RHCSA-RHCE-Red-Linux-Certification/dp/0071765654/ up soon, though the published date makes me a bit concerned.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

jim truds posted:

I have been training 2 new HelpDesk hires this month and have never been more motivated to quit. Both are over 50 with years and years of experience. They also seem to have no idea how a ticketing system works, one of them refuses to wear glasses even though it is obvious that he can not see the screen. I have to explain everything at least 4 times. One if them spent his first week making fun of women in IT and threw a fit about how he needs a laptop and Iphone. I keep explaining to my bosses how we need to just restart the intern program we had and staff the HelpDesk from that. Neither wants to because it involves paperwork.

Holy poo poo dude, :yotj:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

madpanda posted:

I'm working on getting back into an much more IT focused career after a 12 year hiatus. After reading a bit on the cert thread I decided to start studying rhcsa instead of lpic.

However I do not know what kind of responsibilities a junior Linux system admin job entails. It seems like a good way to get my foot in the door to a new career while I find out exactly what I want to do in IT. Also I think it would provide me with a large variety of tasks to perform. My current job is very monotonous.

My job 12 years ago was doing software qa for a company that made vulnerability testing software (among other things). So I would setup various *nix/windows distros with services in a vulnerable state so the software could detect it.

I already am using vmware and cbt nuggets(lpic exam though) for studying. And will be picking up this http://www.amazon.com/RHCSA-RHCE-Red-Linux-Certification/dp/0071765654/ up soon, though the published date makes me a bit concerned.

Jang is apparently working on a new version of the book right now.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is Google everyone's de facto search engine?

I have a few friends telling me I should switch to be Bing because it crawls Microsoft's stuff better.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I lurk/occasionally post A Ticket Came In and just started this thread - am on page 3 and going through as time permits.

I'm presently a sysadmin, happy with the day-to-day, but wouldn't mind thinking about going into a helpdesk/support/operations team lead or supervisor role. If nothing else, I'm 32 and don't want to be on call when I'm 50, and I don't see myself doing management simply because of the quantity and duration of all the meetings.

Any transition/warning/success stories or details that are worth knowing/hearing?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

I have a few friends telling me I should switch to be Bing because it crawls Microsoft's stuff better.

I use Bing first for $Amazon, and 95% of the time it's enough. Google as a backup.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
In other HIPAA/IT news, I hope Sony gets buttfucked for not encrypting the gently caress out of documents like these:

CNet posted:

6) Too much information
Sony's human-resources department had detailed medical records of three dozen employees and their family members. One internal memo revealed a staff member's child with special needs, including the child's type of treatment. The memo talked about the employee's appeal of insurance provider Aetna's denial of thousands of dollars in medical claims.

7) REALLY too much information
Another HR document detailed the medical costs for 34 Sony employees and their family members who had very high medical bills. Medical conditions included premature births, cancer, kidney failure and alcoholic liver cirrhosis.

Anyway, on to lighter stuff. In our office, we use half 55-inch TVs and half projectors for various meetings. Do you guys think the value on large HDTV panels are outstripping projectors? The people here mostly try to leave panels on 24/7 so I'm thinking the bulbs in our projectors aren't going to hold up, and LED projectors aren't going to be bright enough to beat the office lighting.

Tab8715 posted:

One of my coworkers gimps all his searches for the Bing funbucks bribery. Is it really that much to make it worth not searching as well?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tab8715 posted:

Why did you spoiler that?

I use Google because of inertia, mostly. I'm used to it and the way it presents its results, both normal and image/video/etc., and I don't really give a drat about the information gathering under normal circumstances. I have no idea if Bing is better at crawling "Microsoft's stuff," whatever that means, though Google has never had any trouble coming up with the MSDN page for whatever C# library or function I need documentation for, so there's one anecdotal data point for you.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Haven't really used Bing but I just assume that if it isn't in the first 5 results on Google, it doesn't actually exist. Mostly because after the first few results Google just picks random poo poo out of the air that has nothing to do with what you searched for.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I default to Bing, mostly because I don't like Google. But I also use a Windows Phone and actually like Windows 8, so :v:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I default to Bing, mostly because I don't like Google. But I also use a Windows Phone and actually like Windows 8, so :v:

me too buddy, me too :shepicide:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MJP posted:

I lurk/occasionally post A Ticket Came In and just started this thread - am on page 3 and going through as time permits.

I'm presently a sysadmin, happy with the day-to-day, but wouldn't mind thinking about going into a helpdesk/support/operations team lead or supervisor role. If nothing else, I'm 32 and don't want to be on call when I'm 50, and I don't see myself doing management simply because of the quantity and duration of all the meetings.

Any transition/warning/success stories or details that are worth knowing/hearing?

Do whatever makes you happy, but I can't say I'd recommend moving from sysadmin into helpdesk/support. It's likely to be a pay downgrade, and your ability to advance will be severely capped since typically people are trying to get out of helpdesk and into... sysadmin. Or become helpdesk manager, which obviously puts you into management.

It's hard but not impossible to find admin-type roles that don't involve on-call. I know a few goons here have had good luck moving into a Sales Engineer position. Systems Engineer is another job that often doesn't require on-call. You're responsible for designing and building systems, and then handing them off to an Ops team to run day-to-day (either a customer, or an internal team if you're in a very large company).

Do you have any software dev experience? A build/release engineer is another track that can have no or minimal on-call.

And anecdotally, the number of meetings I have to attend has gone up 5x since I became a Team Lead :v: They're fairly unavoidable as you move up the ranks.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Docjowles posted:

Do whatever makes you happy, but I can't say I'd recommend moving from sysadmin into helpdesk/support. It's likely to be a pay downgrade, and your ability to advance will be severely capped since typically people are trying to get out of helpdesk and into... sysadmin. Or become helpdesk manager, which obviously puts you into management.

It's hard but not impossible to find admin-type roles that don't involve on-call. I know a few goons here have had good luck moving into a Sales Engineer position. Systems Engineer is another job that often doesn't require on-call. You're responsible for designing and building systems, and then handing them off to an Ops team to run day-to-day (either a customer, or an internal team if you're in a very large company).

Do you have any software dev experience? A build/release engineer is another track that can have no or minimal on-call.

And anecdotally, the number of meetings I have to attend has gone up 5x since I became a Team Lead :v: They're fairly unavoidable as you move up the ranks.

I meant the team lead role - not actually doing helpdesk. I came outta that, not going back in.

I have zero dev background or interested in dev.

I've seen sales engineer roles come up in past job searches - if I start actively looking (thankfully I'm relatively happy where I am now, but always open if a recruiter contacts me) that's not a bad role to look for.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

One of the trainees asked me what Heat was after I asked him to open it. It is the ticketing system that we use. He has been using it for 3 weeks.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

jim truds posted:

One of the trainees asked me what Heat was after I asked him to open it. It is the ticketing system that we use. He has been using it for 3 weeks.

Suddenly I feel much better about how I'm catching on.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Who do I have to kill to get a permanent job in this industry? I haven't been hired for anything but contract work yet due to lack of experience but I can't get experience unless I'm hired. Would I have better luck finishing my B.S and then trying again? I have a bunch of certifications which may help me get interviews but that's it. Should I keep trying to get hired or finish the degree first? I'd would volunteer gladly but I don't see that kind of opportunity around me.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
4 3-month long contracts is a year's experience, which should be more than enough for a permanent position (depending on the local job market). Have you been updating your CV regularly? Not just your work history, but technologies you feel proficient with, software etc.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

Suddenly I feel much better about how I'm catching on.

You wrote that sentence with no typos and without any help. You will do far better then 2 middle age adults with more experience in the industry then I have been alive.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DropsySufferer posted:

Who do I have to kill to get a permanent job in this industry?

Do it in the military!

Edit: I meant an IT job but I guess you could do either/both there. But yeah it helped me lock in years of Windows Admin experience with no risk of being laid off.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 16, 2014

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

jim truds posted:

I'm getting heat early next year - never used it, any good?

We are going for a self service portal as we want users to log in and report their own issues

Should be fun

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It is decent, a lot of it depends on how you set it up and use it. It has a lot of modules and is very flexible in how you set up the workflow. Also don't agree to be a heat admin, the documentation from front range is pure poo poo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Zero VGS posted:

In other HIPAA/IT news, I hope Sony gets buttfucked for not encrypting the gently caress out of documents like these:

Tracking employees or their dependents who have costly medical issues is a time honored tradition of HR departments looking to gently caress someone

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

go3 posted:

Tracking employees or their dependents who have costly medical issues is a time honored tradition of HR departments looking to gently caress someone

I said for not encrypting them, this is the same Sony who kept passwords.txt for the Playstation network. That was years prior and the organization on a whole had more than enough time to do a real audit and protect their sensitive information.

If they don't get nailed to the cross for turning a blind eye twice in a row, why would they learn their lesson? I know some of it is emails and stuff but sheesh, tighten poo poo up.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

mattfl posted:

This is what I'm hoping for!

I have to figure out how to ask this question in my interview on Friday.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The sad thing, like a previous poster mentioned, is it's often cheaper to deal with the fines and the fallout than it is to do it the right way. It becomes a 'business decision'.

Option A: Do poo poo the right way. Cost 10MM dollars

Option B: Hope we don't get caught for not doing option A, total cost 0, with possibility of 2MM in exposure

A business person will take B almost all of the time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zero VGS posted:

Do it in the military!

Edit: I meant an IT job but I guess you could do either/both there. But yeah it helped me lock in years of Windows Admin experience with no risk of being laid off.

This is a terrible idea on so many levels. Flip burgers before you do this.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
Anyone have experience or an informed opinion either way on GFI Cloud or MS Intune?

The shop here isn't really big enough to justify something like SCCM.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Intune's AV component is a steaming pile of poo poo and you shouldn't rely on it for active protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

jim truds posted:

It is decent, a lot of it depends on how you set it up and use it. It has a lot of modules and is very flexible in how you set up the workflow. Also don't agree to be a heat admin, the documentation from front range is pure poo poo.

We already have a Heat admin who is confused because our segment of the company work in a totally different way to anyone else in the company :)

I'm not looking after any of it in fact which is kind of nice