Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

crowtribe posted:

You don't happen to know with the OB bags whether they've upgraded all their straps/clips since then to heavy duty?

Afraid not, I know that their bigger sizes come with heavy duty standard so I think it may have been just good customer service. They UK service was great so I'd guess you could probably get it if you ask nicely when you order it. Also it only broke when I was trying to unclip it and reattach it, not something the smaller ones seemed to be designed for. I think they'd have been fine if I'd just left them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I guess I lost my silk sleeping bag liner, so I'm buying another one and holy poo poo, I forgot how expensive silk is. Any opinions on Coolmax material? I'm buying this one: http://www.rei.com/product/649745/cocoon-coolmax-mummy-liner

Also, for those interested in keeping warm this winter, I bought my first "down sweater" this year and it's awesome. It's exactly what I wanted when wearing in the 50s to 60s F, and I can layer it for colder temps. REI has the Patagonia ones on sale right now for $170.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 21, 2014

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I've got a bit of a weird shoe problem. I'm going on a five day hiking trip in Vietnam next year and it's going to involve a lot of water. They've told us to expect to get our feet wet constantly and that we're not stopping each time to swap shoes out. They've recommended 5:10 canyoneering boots but they seem a bit overkill seeing as I'm probably not going to do too much more water-based hiking after this. I've just retired my last pair of hiking boots so I need a new set and I'd like to get something I can use here and then keep for more regular hikes in the future.

I've had a couple of sets of Merrels/Vibram that have served me well in the past, so I'm leaning towards something like this: http://www.merrell.com/AU/en-AU/Product.mvc.aspx/24177M/54668/Mens/Mens-Barefoot-Trail-Glove?dimensions=0. It looks like it should have decent grip but be able to drain/dry a bit quicker than a full boot. My only concern is that it's a "barefoot" in the finger-toe-runner sense and it might not be up to rough hiking.

Has anyone got any experience with similar shoes or this sort of hiking?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Solomon used to do awesome water shoes that looked like regular trainers.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

"Ostrich pillow"

raton fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 16, 2014

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

The Amazon reviews on that thing are hilarious

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I hope you poured peanuts and diet coke into that thing.

schweg
Nov 15, 2004
Yes.

Destroyenator posted:

I've got a bit of a weird shoe problem. I'm going on a five day hiking trip in Vietnam next year and it's going to involve a lot of water. They've told us to expect to get our feet wet constantly and that we're not stopping each time to swap shoes out. They've recommended 5:10 canyoneering boots but they seem a bit overkill seeing as I'm probably not going to do too much more water-based hiking after this. I've just retired my last pair of hiking boots so I need a new set and I'd like to get something I can use here and then keep for more regular hikes in the future.

I've had a couple of sets of Merrels/Vibram that have served me well in the past, so I'm leaning towards something like this: http://www.merrell.com/AU/en-AU/Product.mvc.aspx/24177M/54668/Mens/Mens-Barefoot-Trail-Glove?dimensions=0. It looks like it should have decent grip but be able to drain/dry a bit quicker than a full boot. My only concern is that it's a "barefoot" in the finger-toe-runner sense and it might not be up to rough hiking.

I've gone hiking in the Merrell shoe. They're fine for a normal trail hike with occasional scrambling over rocks. Not so much for running down rocky mountainsides.

The leather version, the Tough Glove, was basically a perfect shoe and is sadly discontinued.

The Trail Glove is still a nice shoe but toe protection isn't as good (easy to stub your toes) and the instep reinforcing plastic doesn't stretch like the leather does so I always have to loosen the laces after my feet swell from walking for a while. Also, the mesh on the sides started wearing through after only about six months and I had to duct tape it from the inside.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
I'm headed to Cambodia and Vietnam for three weeks (two and one respectively), midrange hotel accommodation in the former and hostel the latter. I've decided I want to one bag it and I'm pretty set on the Tom Bihn Aeronaut using the bundle packaging method for clothes. I'm aiming to buy it with an end packing cube for toiletries and another that can have a strap added as a day pack, as well as their "Freudian Slip" organiser (Think a sleeve with multiple pockets of various sizes all of it). This leaves the main compartment for clothing (with the sleeve) and I'm thinking given the logistics of the bundle packing method if I might want to add another small cube for underwear etc? I haven't done any extended international travel previously so I just don't want to miss anything that I might need luggage wise, as I want to hopefully buy it all at once and sooner rather than later.

Kim Jong ill fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 17, 2014

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Never heard about bundle packing so I just looked it up. What's the point? It just seems like it makes everything really really hard to get to where you need to unfold the whole goddamn thing to get a T-shirt. I just have a packing cube where I throw all my socks and underwear, throw in a few T-shirts, 1-2 pairs of pants. Any weather specific items (jackets, sweaters, etc.) just go on the bottom. My friend rolls his T-shirts but I don't think it saves that much space vs. throwing them in in the regular folded form that you get them back from laundry in. If you hang your T-shirts I guess you can roll them.

Does bundle packing really save that much space? And if so, why are you bringing so much stuff anyway?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I would honestly save your money and go for a cheaper pack. If you're in the US (unlike me), you guys actually have great prices for travel gear. My suggestions would be the Osprey Farpoint 40, or the Osprey Farpoint 55 which are half the price of the Tom Bihn.

Not a big fan of the bundle packing method, and it will honestly be a pain in the rear end if you're actually travelling to different places. I can see it making sense on a business trip or a resort, where you unpack at the hotel and stay there till the end of your trip, but not much else. My suggestion would be to buy inexpensive packing cubes like these at IKEA. I used them on my last trip and they've been great.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30235115/

It's your money, but my main suggestions for travel gear for these situations are:

- reasonably priced main pack that's carry-on sized
- daypack that makes everything convenient at the airport, and also versatile enough for day trips. (foldable is nice, but I always use the daypack anyway so it doesn't really matter to me)
- packing cubes
- toiletry bag/cube (I have one with a see-through compartment for liquids and has gone through airports with no issues)
- laundry bag (I used a compression sack to separate out dirty clothes in case I didn't do laundry at the guesthouse/hostel)
- quick-dry towel
- padlock for lockers, bags, etc

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Ivan posted:

Never heard about bundle packing so I just looked it up. What's the point? It just seems like it makes everything really really hard to get to where you need to unfold the whole goddamn thing to get a T-shirt. I just have a packing cube where I throw all my socks and underwear, throw in a few T-shirts, 1-2 pairs of pants. Any weather specific items (jackets, sweaters, etc.) just go on the bottom. My friend rolls his T-shirts but I don't think it saves that much space vs. throwing them in in the regular folded form that you get them back from laundry in. If you hang your T-shirts I guess you can roll them.

Does bundle packing really save that much space? And if so, why are you bringing so much stuff anyway?

The reason I bundle instead of using cubes:

1) Nothing results in less wrinkles. Once you get good at it your clothes usually come out of the bag with less wrinkles than when you put them in.

2) Cheaper.

3) If I'm some time away from laundry for whatever reason (usually because I'm lazy and waiting to get to a place where it'll be easier to do, sometimes because I'm not sure if there will be time to let things dry before I have to move again) I can easily make a dirty bundle and pack it next to the clean bundle and one grows exactly as the other shrinks. If you cube it you end up with half filled cubes or else your dirty clothes intermixed with clean and then sometimes everything smells bad before you can wear it.

4) The packing cubes themselves are just one more thing you have to pack / carry in the end, sometimes the ones you have don't quite work with a new bag, etc.

Also any time you lose loving with the bundle a cube packer losses with opening and closing cubes and rolling and folding shirts &c. Maybe it's a little faster or easier to use the cube but not much.

It is a little old fashioned -- maybe a bit like buying a manual instead of an automatic -- but once you learn to drive stick there's a tiny bit of superiority or pride or whatever that gives you a fondness for it too.

The Aeronaut is expensive but it's also great quality. Personally I'd get an eBags Motherload (or whatever the baby version of that is) which is half again as much as those Osprey bags, but I'm pretty easy on gear and about as cheap as a 70 year old Chinese Mainlander. In any case so long as you're going with one carry-on bag (plus maybe a daypack or murse) you're doing it right, the rest is just a matter of budget and taste.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 17, 2014

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I just go with a few sil sacks. They weight nothing and are thin and soft so confirm to space. One for sox and jox, one for dirty poo poo and a big one for tshirts and pants. Then one or two more for random poo poo. Then just look for the colour you need. Usually I'm using a top loader pack so need to be super organized.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Destroyenator posted:

I have these shoes. They're fantastic. I've been backpacking for the last 8 months and those are my go-to shoes for hiking. They're especially good in a place like Vietnam because they dry quickly and don't smell like death if they get wet. I just used them yesterday to climb Table Mountain in South Africa and I can assure you that they're good for rough hiking. They don't offer the ankle support of proper boots but otherwise they work just fine.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

Kim Jong ill posted:

I'm headed to Cambodia and Vietnam for three weeks (two and one respectively), midrange hotel accommodation in the former and hostel the latter. I've decided I want to one bag it and I'm pretty set on the Tom Bihn Aeronaut using the bundle packaging method for clothes. I'm aiming to buy it with an end packing cube for toiletries and another that can have a strap added as a day pack, as well as their "Freudian Slip" organiser (Think a sleeve with multiple pockets of various sizes all of it). This leaves the main compartment for clothing (with the sleeve) and I'm thinking given the logistics of the bundle packing method if I might want to add another small cube for underwear etc? I haven't done any extended international travel previously so I just don't want to miss anything that I might need luggage wise, as I want to hopefully buy it all at once and sooner rather than later.

I bought an Aeronaut a few years ago after having my last bag give up on me in the middle of a trip. I love it. It is a little expensive when compared to other options but it also seems like it will last forever.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

mintskoal posted:

I have these shoes. They're fantastic. I've been backpacking for the last 8 months and those are my go-to shoes for hiking. They're especially good in a place like Vietnam because they dry quickly and don't smell like death if they get wet. I just used them yesterday to climb Table Mountain in South Africa and I can assure you that they're good for rough hiking. They don't offer the ankle support of proper boots but otherwise they work just fine.
Thanks (and thanks to the other reply!), that's just what I wanted to hear.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

The Aeronaut is expensive but it's also great quality. Personally I'd get an eBags Motherload (or whatever the baby version of that is) which is half again as much as those Osprey bags, but I'm pretty easy on gear and about as cheap as a 70 year old Chinese Mainlander. In any case so long as you're going with one carry-on bag (plus maybe a daypack or murse) you're doing it right, the rest is just a matter of budget and taste.

Hahaha, wouldn't be a complete Sheet-Goats travel advice post without a knock on the goblin camp

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I think nice travel gear is nice to have and worth the extra money. It's not like you are carrying much anyways. Might as well Carry nicer reliable things

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I had a look at some of the suggested alternatives and as I have a bit of money to spend I still ended up going with the Aeronaut. It looks solid as hell, has just the right amount of compartmentalisation and sticks pretty closely to the general rule of keeping things rectilinear. With a bit of luck I should only have to buy one bag for a good portion of my life.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm looking for a new overnight/weekend bag. I use a Northface pack right now, which is great, but I want something more "professional." I have a nice roll on for longer trips, so this would be my personal, under seat carryon. I'd like it to be able to accommodate a laptop (though I only take one with me half the time), 2-3 changes of clothes, a small Dopp kit, and have a few extra pockets/sections for organizing things. I'd prefer a shoulder bag to a backpack. The most important thing is that it fits under the seat. Some of the bags in the OP look a bit too big for what I want, and I'd like to find something that is a bit "dressier," for lack of a better word. Anyone have any suggestions?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

I'm looking for a new overnight/weekend bag. I use a Northface pack right now, which is great, but I want something more "professional." I have a nice roll on for longer trips, so this would be my personal, under seat carryon. I'd like it to be able to accommodate a laptop (though I only take one with me half the time), 2-3 changes of clothes, a small Dopp kit, and have a few extra pockets/sections for organizing things. I'd prefer a shoulder bag to a backpack. The most important thing is that it fits under the seat. Some of the bags in the OP look a bit too big for what I want, and I'd like to find something that is a bit "dressier," for lack of a better word. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have this, it's a bit smaller than most "maximum" carry-ons and could fit under a seat pretty easily as long as you don't need your feet under there. I use it on trips where I don't bring extra shoes. There's also the Tom Bihn Western Flyer.

With baggage fees and sloppy enforcement of actual sizes boarding a plane is getting kind of silly. The last 2 flights I took they gave priority boarding to people willing to gate-check.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

qirex posted:

With baggage fees and sloppy enforcement of actual sizes boarding a plane is getting kind of silly. The last 2 flights I took they gave priority boarding to people willing to gate-check.

Exactly. These days I try to get by with a single, under seat bag as often as I can. I went through all this trouble to find a carryon that meets international size standards, but I'd still get gate checked because of assholes taking up all the bin space with their 30" monstrosities.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

. whoops, please ignore.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The biggest problem is that everyone loves to overpack. No, your 5 day domestic trip to another city doesn't need a huge checked suit case. Unless you are carrying booze/sports equipment. That's about loving it. Laundry service is plentiful in the cities and you can wash your clothes.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012
I'm gonna go back and read prior pages, but off hand, does anyone have any recommendations for sleeping bags rated to 0F?

Im off to peace corps in Georgia so I won't be actually be hauling it around very much.

Edit: also how do you wash clothes when it's 0 F outside?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Nice thread, spent my afternoon going nuts on Ebay buying $1 China products to sweeten my next trip.

Any tips for travel pillows? I'm looking at the J Pillow which looks appealing.

caberham posted:

The biggest problem is that everyone loves to overpack. No, your 5 day domestic trip to another city doesn't need a huge checked suit case. Unless you are carrying booze/sports equipment. That's about loving it. Laundry service is plentiful in the cities and you can wash your clothes.
I'd say it depends on what you do and how much you move around with your suitcase. On my last trip (two weeks in Philippines) I went with a smaller suitcase than normal, one that meets on-board size restrictions, and which I could actually have brought onboard instead of checking in. I checked it in though, since it was too heavy and I also need a backpack for airplane stuff.

I ended up regretting it, because it ended up being a pest to pack it every time I went to a new place, particularly as I loaded up on a few souvenirs and such. I had to stuff and mash things into it to make everything fit. I spend so little time carrying my luggage, really only around airports and to/from a taxi, that it's not worth the hassle having to optimize packing in a small suitcase. Heck, sometimes I would only have to roll it from the luggage transport belt to a taxi waiting queue, and from there, the taxi driver and hotel bus boy would do all the rest. People moving daily and backpacking will of course prioritize differently.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've got good at buying small or flat souvenirs, soccer scarves are one of my stand-bys [I can use them to wrap more fragile stuff]

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm the souvenir shopping king. Get an empty duffel bag or those ugly looking foldable plastic suit cases. Then mail that poo poo back home.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
1 - My ladyfriend just got this backpack for Christmas and it worked real well for our 10-day trip.

http://www.rei.com/product/870903/osprey-porter-46-travel-pack

She even hiked the Inca trail with it, but she also sometimes runs half-marathons by accident because she just runs until she's tired. The hip belt is not meant to take on any load. She's just a freak athlete haha

With the amount of 3-day work trips she has to take, I imagine she'll get some great use out of it. I'm not well educated on bags, but it seemed reasonable and iirc it was $100 on sale over the holiday.

2 - If anybody has any pillow recommendations, I'd also love one. The key for me is that I can fit noise-cancelling headphones with them.

3 - Sleeping bag. This is what i use. Compresses down to a little over the size of a football if a football was a complete cylinder. It comes with both a stowage bag and a compression sack. Note that this is the "long" version. I'm 6'2" 210 lbs and it fits me with a little room to spare.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mountain-hardwear-32-f-hibachi-down-sleeping-bag-600-fill-power-long-mummy~p~6953h/?colorFamily=01

Mountain Hardwear also doesn't gently caress around. Whenever I've had a problem with their gear, they fix it. No nonsense.

If you wait for a good coupon code (Sierra Trading Post sends a few every week), you can get it as low as $150-$160. (Edit: there's a coupon code right now on the website that's 35% off of +$100) If you do get a down sleeping bag, I recommend a liner and sleeping with a hat on. Cleaning them is a pain in the rear end. Cleaning the liner and a wool cap on the regular is much easier.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 2, 2015

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Another reason why cabin/hand luggage only is a bloody good idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Going somewhere cold and wet and don't want to pack heavy ugly shoes or wear something else besides them? Try galoshes! For me at least, they make any random pair of summer sneakers into sturdy semi-rubber boots or winter shoes (they are surprisingly warm), can be packed in a very small space and make your shoes last longer and stay clean.

Essentially, they are just rubber gimpsuits for your shoes, mine are Swims so theyre kind of expensive (60 EUR retail here IIRC) but they have lasted years despite constant abuse (e.g.running and long walks on icy sidewalks covered in grit):

Disclaimer: I haven't used them much during traveling since I get enough cold and wetness right here in Helsinki :v:, also they won't protect your shoes from ankle-deep mud and they're probably not suited for actual hiking.

Bonus image:

Rainy rain, you cannot hurt me. I would not go out without galoshes. Because of Rezinotrest [Soviet rubber-industry trust] every place is dry for me. Sold everywhere.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Going somewhere cold and wet and don't want to pack heavy ugly shoes or wear something else besides them? Try galoshes! For me at least, they make any random pair of summer sneakers into sturdy semi-rubber boots or winter shoes (they are surprisingly warm), can be packed in a very small space and make your shoes last longer and stay clean.

Essentially, they are just rubber gimpsuits for your shoes, mine are Swims so theyre kind of expensive (60 EUR retail here IIRC) but they have lasted years despite constant abuse (e.g.running and long walks on icy sidewalks covered in grit):

Disclaimer: I haven't used them much during traveling since I get enough cold and wetness right here in Helsinki :v:, also they won't protect your shoes from ankle-deep mud and they're probably not suited for actual hiking.

Bonus image:

Rainy rain, you cannot hurt me. I would not go out without galoshes. Because of Rezinotrest [Soviet rubber-industry trust] every place is dry for me. Sold everywhere.

How's the tread on these? Are they good on ice?

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Barracuda Bang! posted:

How's the tread on these? Are they good on ice?

Better than the summer shoes with smooth soles I use them with but not as good as proper winter shoes. It's.. manageable.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

I've had a pair of Swims on my shopping list for forever. I bought a really cheap pair of knockoffs a few years ago and they smelled of toxic fumes so bad that I had to seal them in a plastic bag before getting rid of them.

E: Those look a lot more "rugged" than the ones on swims.com. Where did you find them?

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 15, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oxfords or bust :henget:

Might as well just wear some leather boots and call it the day

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Kobayashi posted:

I've had a pair of Swims on my shopping list for forever. I bought a really cheap pair of knockoffs a few years ago and they smelled of toxic fumes so bad that I had to seal them in a plastic bag before getting rid of them.

E: Those look a lot more "rugged" than the ones on swims.com. Where did you find them?

At the local department store stockmann, they were the more "casual" model.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm going to be taking a trip for two weeks at the start of March, and am thinking what I should bring for clothes. I'll be going to Paris and surrounding areas, and it looks like the weather tends to be fairly chilly and damp during that time. I know that layering is the way to go, and I've got a bunch of sport-oriented pullovers and base layer shirts that all can be pretty warm, but small enough I should be able to pack a bunch easy. I was thinking three of the pullovers, and five or six of the shirts, and maybe one legit warm coat and/or windbreaker. I'll be spending most of the time indoors, but when I'm outside I'll be moving around a bunch. Does that sound about right?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Are you morbidly obese or have weird sizes? It's the capital city of France, not some arctic hell whole for Christ sake's. I'm sure you can always buy more clothes if you run out. Or pay for laundry.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually wherever I go I love packing diapers by because I'm secretly an adult baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Wow, this is why you don't leave your phone lying around.

• Locked thread