Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Haha of course the day I was going to go switch fromCricket it finally starts working.

Edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvvv Well for the last month I haven't been able to use Spotify or watch youtube much at all. I've been running speed tests every few days and it seriously hasn't gotten over 3 Mbps on LTE since all this crap has started. I'm still tempted to switch to Family Mobile but I guess we'll put that on the back burner for now.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Lblitzer posted:

Haha of course the day I was going to go switch fromCricket it finally starts working.

It will work. And then it won't. That was the pattern for the last month with me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

:v: I'm fine, I don't know where FAUXTON is in Omaha tho. I haven't had any issues on Cricket so far.

Only really weird issue I had was my data dropping randomly for 2 hours in February when it auto-payed once but it's been fine since then.

I typically have the problems during my mad max nightmare hellride ordeal to/from work (so 7:15-8 AM, 4:15-5 PM most days gently caress you Omaha drivers gently caress you all especially the ones who need to take the ILQ exit from I80), but it's persistent during the drive - it isn't localized as I drive from near UNMC to near Cabela's in La Vista. Doesn't change based on whether I take the interstate but if it's rush hour congestion it should manifest with far more regularity. I tested with the FCC app just before writing this post and it's about 6.5 mb up and 6.5 mb down with 102ms ping and 0 loss. That's at home, so midtown near the hospital.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I typically have the problems during my mad max nightmare hellride ordeal to/from work (so 7:15-8 AM, 4:15-5 PM most days gently caress you Omaha drivers gently caress you all especially the ones who need to take the ILQ exit from I80), but it's persistent during the drive - it isn't localized as I drive from near UNMC to near Cabela's in La Vista. Doesn't change based on whether I take the interstate but if it's rush hour congestion it should manifest with far more regularity. I tested with the FCC app just before writing this post and it's about 6.5 mb up and 6.5 mb down with 102ms ping and 0 loss. That's at home, so midtown near the hospital.

That sounds like a shitload of dead zones...maybe there's just a bunch of lovely towers? :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

That sounds like a shitload of dead zones...maybe there's just a bunch of lovely towers? :v:

Eh, it doesn't seem like dead zones because Spotify and Google Music both end up buffering every 3-5 seconds, as though the speed is uniformly bad instead of just on and off.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Any guesses for when Cricket Moto G's will get 5.0? lol

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

crondaily posted:

Any guesses for when Cricket Moto G's will get 5.0? lol

Why's that funny?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why's that funny?

Because they just had a bunch of throughput issues and it's probably the last thing on their mind at this point.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

When my speeds on Cricket tank its usually during prime time hours (6pm-11pm eastern time). And when it gets bad, it gets real bad; horrible ping/200kbps bad. Tonight it has been reaching 8mbps just fine though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ting is going to add support for T-Mobile's network, starting in February.

CDMA and GSM devices will be able to coexist under a single account and will share a single pool of minutes, messages and megabytes. At the end of the billing cycle, they will appear on a single monthly bill.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rastor posted:

Ting is going to add support for T-Mobile's network, starting in February.

CDMA and GSM devices will be able to coexist under a single account and will share a single pool of minutes, messages and megabytes. At the end of the billing cycle, they will appear on a single monthly bill.

I will have to check this out. T-Mo's maps make Omaha look pretty decently covered but I still can't sign up for service via t-mobile.com with my zipcode (or any zip code remotely close to me). MVNOs aren't as touchy about that kind of stuff.

It would be loving awesome if they used Sprint as a fallback if the phone supported both (e.g. nexus 5) but that may be too much to ask.

E: to clarify I mean my phone would be on Ting-GSM (T-Mobile) as default but if there's an area with poor GSM coverage it would switch to Ting-CDMA (Sprint). Since they're two wholly different systems I doubt it would be possible with how numbers work and such, but who knows :v:.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 10, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
AFAIK, you can only have one carrier on one sim card. As awesome as it would be, I don't believe it works. BUT, I'm wondering if they could tie two sim cards onto one number with the different spectrums.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There are probably too many technical and political barriers to have a single number roaming between the two networks.

But, it might be an interesting science experiment to get a CDMA+Global phone and activate two numbers (CDMA + GSM) with Ting and use Google Voice as your number. I don't know which phones would even qualify for such a crazy experiment because as I understand it the choices are limited by Sprint for MVNO operators.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Updated the OP with new Ting news!

Also added in that Cricket now sells SIM cards at Walmart for $9.88.

Also, Republic Wireless now has the Moto X 2014.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 11, 2014

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Straight Talk is going to join Page Plus in Allowing Verizon LTE Phones. Between them there are now some interesting prepaid options for those in the Verizon-only coverage area.

quote:

The usual Verizon MVNO restrictions apply: no bad-ESN phones (financed or reported lost or stolen), no Verizon Prepaid phones, no non-Verizon phones, no phones currently active on Verizon or a Verizon MVNO.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rastor posted:

There are probably too many technical and political barriers to have a single number roaming between the two networks.

But, it might be an interesting science experiment to get a CDMA+Global phone and activate two numbers (CDMA + GSM) with Ting and use Google Voice as your number. I don't know which phones would even qualify for such a crazy experiment because as I understand it the choices are limited by Sprint for MVNO operators.

The issue there is that dual-SIM phones seem to be janky shitboxes, so while you might be able to go with a SIM for each, you have to deal with the kinds of phones that come with MIUI or Cyanogen preinstalled and let's be honest XDA is not where I want to go for support.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I loved Ting when I had a Sprint device, so I can totally see myself switching back when the T-Mo stuff goes live!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Cricket $100 offer is back, if you are switching a number from T-Mobile or Sprint or one of their wholly-owned brands (so, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, Sprint, Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile USA).

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
T-mobiles announcement about rolling over data may get me to switch from prepaid to post. If I'm gathering correctly:

They give you 10gbs at the start
Unused data gets rolled month to month
Music streaming doesn't count towards your allotment

I rarely come close to 5 gigs, but I come close to minutes every month.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

savesthedayrocks posted:

T-mobiles announcement about rolling over data may get me to switch from prepaid to post. If I'm gathering correctly:

They give you 10gbs at the start
Unused data gets rolled month to month
Music streaming doesn't count towards your allotment

I rarely come close to 5 gigs, but I come close to minutes every month.
I think that's all correct, the only catch is that there is an expiration. The way John Legere explained it in an interview is that you can think of each month's data as a gift card that is valid for 12 months. This includes the initial 10GB gift; it will expire (if not used) in January 2016.

Also on these plans the data allotment is for both your device and tethering, so you can use up your saved data via tethering if you should so choose.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Rastor posted:

I think that's all correct, the only catch is that there is an expiration. The way John Legere explained it in an interview is that you can think of each month's data as a gift card that is valid for 12 months. This includes the initial 10GB gift; it will expire (if not used) in January 2016.

Also on these plans the data allotment is for both your device and tethering, so you can use up your saved data via tethering if you should so choose.

I cannot loving wait until TMobile gets better coverage in my area.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Venkmanologist posted:

Venkmanologist posted:

Venkmanologist posted:

Venkmanologist posted:

For me it's both better coverage and them offering service. I still get "please enter a valid US Zip Code" :v:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

For me it's both better coverage and them offering service. I still get "please enter a valid US Zip Code" :v:

Where are you trying to enter your zip code?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Venkmanologist posted:

FAUXTON posted:

T-mobile only just recently started rolling out 700MHz service, which has much better coverage than their other bands. If you're in the painted part of the map, the TM coverage situation may be improving for you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

Where are you trying to enter your zip code?

Upon adding a SIM to the cart. It drops down a box asking me to enter a valid US zip.

Rastor posted:

T-mobile only just recently started rolling out 700MHz service, which has much better coverage than their other bands. If you're in the painted part of the map, the TM coverage situation may be improving for you.

:suicide: nope, not in a painted area.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 18, 2014

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Rastor posted:

What the gently caress is Thomas Kurian and when is this gonna happen? :ohdear:

SB35 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 18, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My county is purple but I know I wouldn't get signal.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SB35 posted:

What the gently caress is Thomas Kurian and when is this gonna happen? :ohdear:
I was surprised to see person names on there too. Turns out there's rich, and then there's "I have a yacht" rich, and then there's "I ran out of visible things to buy, so I bought airwaves."

As for when, T-Mobile probably won't be giving actual dates until they are very close to launch. Here's something you can bookmark:
http://www.tmonews.com/tag/700mhz/

Edit: Oh, and you'll need a phone which supports LTE Band 12, for which T-Mobile currently only offers the Note 4 / Note Edge. But there are expected to be Band 12 phone announcements to go along with the coverage announcements.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 18, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It came from Howard Forums!

Edit: Should put some context. People dickwaving (myself included) about how many phones they've owned and this guy says he just opened up his 6th active line of service with a new provider. When I called him out, this was his response.

quote:

I don't really need them, some are Gold Rewards that have a year on them with a $10 top up. One is Lycamobile which I just got to play around with because it was dirt cheap but I ended up really really liking.
My PTel is soon going to run out and I'm not going to renew it. I have that one because my Mentor sent me a PTel phone which came with a $40 airtime PIN which on their Real PayGo plan lasts 5 months. I liked them so much I kept them for another 4 months but since the balance is low now and the expiration date is 24 December I'm letting it go.
I got two of the T-Mobile eBay SIM cards that were Gold Rewards but I held out a long time before the temptation was too great especially after it dawned on me that the per minute rate was 3¢ a minute. Lycamobile was going to raise their per minute rate to 5¢ a minute so I was and still am going to let that one go when my balance runs out. I have $1.60 on that one.
My original two T-Mobile accounts are on a fantastic old Grandfathered plan that would be impossible to get anything like it again. My first T-Mobile account I've had for several years and luckily somehow it was leaked that T-Mobile was changing their plans and if your account was on the ones I have Grandfathered in you were able to keep it. Those two accounts are "From my cold dead hands" to me. I have two of them because at one time T-Mobile used to give you airtime cards when you would buy phones from their website and the phones used to be very inexpensive. Like $19.99 for a phone and a free $25 card. I had gotten 4 phones and 4 cards, since my original account was already Gold Rewards which just needed a $10 top up once a year I had T-Mobile stack my 4 ~ $25 cards so I ended up with another Gold Rewards account.
I've tried Boost and ended up using them for a few years. But they jacked their PayGo rates and Lycamobile showed up with their 2¢ a minute rates so I gave them a try. Started that one early May 2013 but will be letting them go since I have two of the eBay T-Mobile accounts.
I also requested a free ROK Mobile SIM card to try for their free 7 day test drive.
And I bought one of the Straight Talk Moto E's on Cyber Monday for $9.99 and I have a code for the $45 plan so I will use that for 30 and let that die when the balance runs out.

I get different plans to play around with. Some of them I really like and some I try then let die if I end up not liking them.
I tried Black Wireless when they had an offer to use them for 30 days free.
I should add that I am very cheap as far as cell phone service goes. The way I use phones would never merit me using a monthly plan.

On HoFo I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who tries out different prepaid carriers like this.

In other threads over the time I've been here people have jokingly brought up cell phone addiction and 12 step programs.

I'm not unique here as I know one person on this thread has over 30 active lines.

It's a hobby for a lot of us.

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 18, 2014

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Upon adding a SIM to the cart. It drops down a box asking me to enter a valid US zip.

You could order a SIM card from Amazon or somewhere that is not t-mobile.com! They have all the sim starter kits you could ever want.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

You could order a SIM card from Amazon or somewhere that is not t-mobile.com! They have all the sim starter kits you could ever want.

I did that a while back, it's preventing me from activating when I put my zip in, it's like "oh, so you're from [3 hours from me in perfect driving conditions]?" and I can't port my number.

A new number would be too much of a problem and I've used GV for years.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

I did that a while back, it's preventing me from activating when I put my zip in, it's like "oh, so you're from [3 hours from me in perfect driving conditions]?" and I can't port my number.

A new number would be too much of a problem and I've used GV for years.

Can you use literally any other zip code or would that not work either?

Also if you've used GV for years a new number should be no problem, right? It would just be a matter of changing the forwarding phone on the GV website.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

Can you use literally any other zip code or would that not work either?

Also if you've used GV for years a new number should be no problem, right? It would just be a matter of changing the forwarding phone on the GV website.

I've tried using several zips in various parts of the city and outlying hinterlands. The issue with a new number is that GV is recognized as a VOIP number (and therefore invalid) for verification purposes in a good number of places, and the new number would be located in an area code in some podunk molehill hours away meaning it fucks with location verification.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 18, 2014

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

No doubt T-Mobile is trying to protect themselves from signing up a customer who would be experiencing poor coverage and/or roaming all the time.

If you're really desperate for T-Mobile, you could always get a private mailbox in a zip code they accept (generally about $10/month), sign up with T-Mobile, port your number, submit a change of address to your house, and then cancel the private mailbox.

Edit: the GoSmart Mobile coverage map should give some idea where the blessed zip codes lie.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rastor posted:

No doubt T-Mobile is trying to protect themselves from signing up a customer who would be experiencing poor coverage and/or roaming all the time.

If you're really desperate for T-Mobile, you could always get a private mailbox in a zip code they accept (generally about $10/month), sign up with T-Mobile, port your number, submit a change of address to your house, and then cancel the private mailbox.

Edit: the GoSmart Mobile coverage map should give some idea where the blessed zip codes lie.

Except their coverage map places my home in "excellent" even when zoomed in, it doesn't even drop below "good" until out in the filth-ridden suburbs. The city has good coverage and when my father visits he doesn't even drop below HSPA. It's bizarre that it's considered a nonexistent market despite having demonstrably strong coverage. I'd have to drive an hour out of my way to find 2G, let along roaming or dead air.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Except their coverage map places my home in "excellent" even when zoomed in, it doesn't even drop below "good" until out in the filth-ridden suburbs. The city has good coverage and when my father visits he doesn't even drop below HSPA. It's bizarre that it's considered a nonexistent market despite having demonstrably strong coverage. I'd have to drive an hour out of my way to find 2G, let along roaming or dead air.

It honestly looks like a system error on tmobile's end. Have you talked to anyone at tmobile?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nimper posted:

It honestly looks like a system error on tmobile's end. Have you talked to anyone at tmobile?

I have (he and I live in the same city) and they've stated they do not support Omaha, NE.

However, you CAN find T-Mobile calling cards and poo poo to set up prepaid at Walmart in Elkhorn which is still Omaha.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

I have (he and I live in the same city) and they've stated they do not support Omaha, NE.

However, you CAN find T-Mobile calling cards and poo poo to set up prepaid at Walmart in Elkhorn which is still Omaha.

Wow, that is bizarre.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Must be some kind of NE ban in place at T-Mobile. Use a Council Bluffs zip code? The website seems to accept 51501.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rastor posted:

Must be some kind of NE ban in place at T-Mobile. Use a Council Bluffs zip code? The website seems to accept 51501.

Lol if you think I'll suffer the indignity of having a counciltucky area code.

nimper posted:

Yes. The first time I tried, I sent their twitter people a gift of the error, they managed to get the site to allow ordering of a SIM to my address (how I got my t-mo SIM) but activation is impossible unless I claim I'm an Iowan.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 19, 2014