Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

multistability posted:

yospos, i have a question: if buttcoin (LMAO!) is so stupid, then pls explain this:

"Microsoft has added Bitcoin support to Microsoft accounts. Bitcoin funds can be added to accounts to enable digital purchases from the Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox Games, Xbox Music, and Xbox Video stores.

Bitcoin support is currently limited to adding fixed dollar amounts to accounts; there's no direct purchase option. Up to $100 can be added at a time, and presently the option is only available to US accounts. The Bitcoin support comes via BitPay. Other early commercial Bitcoin supporters, including PayPal and Newegg, also use BitPay."
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/12/xbox-windows-store-now-accepting-bitcoin-payments/

protip: u cant. lol

lol bitpay, the middleman that gets trotted out despite it actually proving no one wants to hold bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

for supporters of decentralization these people sure seem to enjoy a single company being the intermediary for pretty much all legitimate (and not "legitimate" legitimate) businesses

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Boxturret posted:

i'd say buttus coinus but one of you might have already done it so i won't
actually
(plural: asses)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
cinaedus sum

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rude

(Aes rude)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

AlbieQuirky posted:

Vici. That may be the nerdiest joke I have ever made.

yeah maybe if you speak the heathen's Latin

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

lol bitpay, the middleman that gets trotted out despite it actually proving no one wants to hold bitcoin

yeah wait a second, I just realized that their business model is predicated on 1) the price of bitcoin rising steadily and 2) no businesses actually wanting to use bitcoin at the same time

seems kinda self-defeating

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
did you know that the romans said a 'w' sound for v's and a 'y' sound for j's?

wini widi wici

Yupiter

Yason and them argonauts

old languages sound even sillier than they look most of the time

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

indigi posted:

yeah wait a second, I just realized that their business model is predicated on 1) the price of bitcoin rising steadily and 2) no businesses actually wanting to use bitcoin at the same time

seems kinda self-defeating

no, they cash out immediately

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FCKGW posted:

no, they cash out immediately

...maybe? i looked into it the other day, and if BitPay is pulling the kind of numbers they claim, they should be putting huge downward pressure on the price

edit: although now that I think about it, it probably goes "customer buys coins on bitstamp, gives coins to bitpay, bitpay sells coins on bitstamp"

...meaning that they're basically paying bitpay with the same coins bitpay sold them.

they're basically paying bitpay in USD, then some bitcoin stuff happens

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 17, 2014

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

theflyingorc posted:

...maybe? i looked into it the other day, and if BitPay is pulling the kind of numbers they claim, they should be putting huge downward pressure on the price

bitcoins come in from customers and go out to tim draper's kid

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I was gonna quote that dude about latin but he has a pony av soo

Ecclesiastical Latin is the fancy sounding one

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
u and v are literally the same letter in latin. same goes for i and j. it's pretty obvious which pronunciation ivlivs caesar would have used and which is the medieval corruption

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Soricidus posted:

u and v are literally the same letter in latin. same goes for i and j. it's pretty obvious which pronunciation ivlivs caesar would have used and which is the medieval corruption

thank you that is interesting how do you say bitcoin in latin?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Wulfolme posted:

wini widi wici

Yupiter

Yason and them argonauts

gives a whole new meaning to the story of wenus coming from a clam

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I kind of wish I knew some actual bitcoiners, because I'd love to ask why Microsoft has to use a third party to accept bitcoins instead of just using ~~~*The Blockchain*~~~. All this talk about smart contracts, multisig, "programmable money" and all that... Microsoft looks at it and says "Ehh.... we'd rather avoid that poo poo altogether, but we'll still gladly take your real dollars".

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
you can tell that blockchain technology is the most important human development since agriculture by the way that 98% of current bitcoin development activity involves trying to find ways (exchanges, sidechains, etc.) to conduct bitcoin business without using the blockchain

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

why do they make colored coins sit on the side of the chain?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Soricidus posted:

Isn't it one of those situations where the speakers will not even register the difference, like 'l' and 'r' in Japanese or 'b' and 'v' in spanish.

When you look at the linguistics of it, specifically the position of the tongue and lips usually, the situations like this almost always involve sounds with very very similar positions. It's strange to think but if you are raised in a dialect that doesn't recognize the difference, the sounds are indistinguishable unless you put a lot of effort into learning to hear it.

This has been your linguistic derail for this afternoon.

e: though I guess it's like 11 o'clock for the forums for some reason, guess radium lives in England

vvvvv fair point

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 18, 2014

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Isn't it one of those situations where the sprakers will not even register the difference, like 'l' and 'r' in Japanese or 'b' and 'v' in spanish.

kinda hard to know for sure as there are no native Classical Latin speakers and haven't been for centuries and it's kinda a hard thing to record as graffiti under volcanic ash

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Isn't it one of those situations where the sprakers will not even register the difference, like 'l' and 'r' in Japanese or 'b' and 'v' in spanish.
no it's that the french came up with some completely new bullshit way of pronouncing "j" and we're stuck with it because of william the conqueror

i can't think of a single language besides french and english that uses the letter that way ok a lot of stuff in africa but it's hardly comparable when the roman alphabet's added after the fact by french-speakers

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 18, 2014

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

no it's that the french came up with some completely new bullshit way of pronouncing "j" and we're stuck with it because of william the conqueror

sounds like it's still a pretty raw wound for you

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

sounds like it's still a pretty raw wound for you
i wouldn't give a poo poo except that dumbass anglophones constantly try to apply it to languages that are not english

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

BeOSPOS posted:

thank you that is interesting how do you say bitcoin in latin?

scultimidonus

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

je jouis sur ta joue ?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Wulfolme posted:

wini widi wici

Yupiter

Yason and them argonauts

yes, hence the joke about starting the vici

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what kind of basic bitch doesn't know the pronunciation of classical latin? hrrmph. *puffs pipe*

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
romanes eunt domus

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

basic bitch

no

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
et tu, brutcoin?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

visual basic btich

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

quote:

Gentlemen...I am so frickin excited for 2015... (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 9 hours ago * by jmaller

This year was insane, I could never have imagined how fast things are moving. Yes the price is down. I don't care...everything is clicking.

If you are are worried about the price, just realize there is no scenario in which bitcoin moves from speculator phase to mainstream phase and stays worth hundreds of $. There is only so much bitcoin out there.

We are gradually approaching an inflection point--a crossing of the chasm...I don't know when this will be but it's coming. Bitcoin is a long-term investment. The market is immature/illiquid, let the whales do what they want.

P.S. Not sure if anyone has noticed but based on the types of posts/comments the last week or two, there are clearly a bunch of new users around. Be nice to them and take time to explain things.

Please spare me the "you could have said this at x price, and now the price is y", my point is not that this is the bottom or any type of market advice, I don't know what will happen. I only know there is a limit on the supply of bitcoin and it is increasingly becoming more and more apparent that the use of bitcoin will eventually move from strictly being a tool of the speculator/tech nerd crowd to more mainstream use.

Recently I used a magic URL to tip some skeptical friends in an email chain, and instead of the usual argument, one of them was glad to accept it. And this came to me:

"First they Ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they accept your changetip"

**Edit: Oh noes, the buttcoin brigade is in the house!

In all seriousness though, I couldn't be more excited for the upcoming year, sorry if the style was a little too "to the moon fanboy"as some have suggested, but I'll take the current status of bitcoin today at any price--over what it was 1 year ago at $1000. That's just how I feel. I do not represent the bitcoin community. I'm just a dude. Who ever is quickest to the trigger come grab some coin!

http://tip.me/once/TkYB-epnf6pXF

I'm out--drops the mike.

I'm out--drops the price

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Alan Smithee posted:

Gentlemen...I am so frickin excited for 2014... (self.Bitcoin)

This year was insane, I could never have imagined how fast things are moving. Yes the price is down. I don't care...everything is clicking.

If you are are worried about the price, just realize there is no scenario in which bitcoin moves from speculator phase to mainstream phase and stays worth hundreds of $. There is only so much bitcoin out there.

We are gradually approaching an inflection point--a crossing of the chasm...I don't know when this will be but it's coming. Bitcoin is a long-term investment. The market is immature/illiquid, let the whales do what they want.

P.S. Not sure if anyone has noticed but based on the types of posts/comments the last week or two, there are clearly a bunch of new users around. Be nice to them and take time to explain things.

Please spare me the "you could have said this at x price, and now the price is y", my point is not that this is the bottom or any type of market advice, I don't know what will happen. I only know there is a limit on the supply of bitcoin and it is increasingly becoming more and more apparent that the use of bitcoin will eventually move from strictly being a tool of the speculator/tech nerd crowd to more mainstream use.

Recently I used a magic URL to tip some skeptical friends in an email chain, and instead of the usual argument, one of them was glad to accept it. And this came to me:

"First they Ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they accept your changetip"

In all seriousness though, I couldn't be more excited for the upcoming year, sorry if the style was a little too "to the moon fanboy"as some have suggested, but I'll take the current status of bitcoin today at any price--over what it was 1 year ago at $1000. That's just how I feel. I do not represent the bitcoin community. I'm just a dude. Who ever is quickest to the trigger come grab some coin!

I'm out--drops the mike.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Gentlemen...I am so frickin excited for 2013... (self.Bitcoin)

I'm out--drops the mike.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Gentlemen...I am so frickin excited for 2012... (self.Bitcoin)

I'm out--drops the mike.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

pretty cool that Russia and Germany called their rulers Caesar well into the 20th century

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alan Smithee posted:

I do not represent the bitcoin community

and yet

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
why is breaking microphones cool now

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Gentlemen...I am so frickin excited for 2015... (self.Litecoin)

If you are are worried about the price, just realize there is no scenario in which Litecoin moves from speculator phase to mainstream phase and stays worth tens of $. There is only so much Litecoin out there.

We are gradually approaching an inflection point--a crossing of the chasm...I don't know when this will be but it's coming. Litecoin is a long-term investment. The market is immature/illiquid, let the whales do what they want.

In all seriousness though, I couldn't be more excited for the upcoming year, sorry if the style was a little too "to the moon fanboy"as some have suggested, but I'll take the current status of Litecoin today at any price--over what it was 1 year ago at $48. That's just how I feel. I do not represent the Litecoin community. I'm just a dude. Who ever is quickest to the trigger come grab some coin!

I'm out--drops the mike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I'm out -- *fumbles with the mic stand, puts mic back into slot* -- have a good night yall :)

• Locked thread