Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Ciaphas posted:

They're disgusted by your flagrant abuse of procedural fairings :colbert:

It's designed pretty well :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kertap
Mar 13, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Is it just me, or have we returned to the bad old days of rockets sticking to the launchpad unless you put a decoupler on the bottom?

I've seen this too. I think it happened when I stuck a decoupler on the bottom of a rocket to do a landed contract. After that only solid boosters would launch until i restarted.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Spookydonut posted:

That is an abomination

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

So, folding in Karbonite and probably home-grown aero. Plus this exciting Kerbalizer news. Female Kerbals, finally!

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Thesoro posted:

So, folding in Karbonite and probably home-grown aero. Plus this exciting Kerbalizer news. Female Kerbals, finally!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
What sort of resources? Snacks?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spookydonut posted:

That is the buttplug-iest spacecraft that has ever existed

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Thesoro posted:

Hot drat! I love Karbonite but (and i mean no offense) I can't stand the models, so here's hoping if it is folded in to KSP it gets a revamp to fit more into the style. Also super stoked about diversification of Kerbals, it's been a long time coming and it'll be great to play rocket ships with my cousin without her grumping about it being a game just for boys.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Oh for God's sake squad.

They STILL haven't fixed decouplers or phantom forces from exiting a vehicle.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have had less problems so far this patch with those. Of course, it doesn't make me feel any better when it does happen.

e: correction, i just had many EVA glitches around Mun

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 19, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've definitely also had some odd breakage with 0.90, mainly relating to switching in and out of map mode while piloting a ship. It gets into some neither-nor mode where I can't see my ship, can see the planets, and can't see orbits. If I leave to the space center I also have trouble entering buildings or accessing the right-click boxes for them. Quitting to the main menu seems to get the problem to go away, however.

I'm not sure if any mods are involved.

There's also an annoying visual glitch when I enter the VAB, with the UI being all over the place, but it fixes itself before I get control. (Entering the VAB, SPH and tracking station scenes in general have some performance issues, very non-smooth.)

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

nielsm posted:

There's also an annoying visual glitch when I enter the VAB, with the UI being all over the place, but it fixes itself before I get control. (Entering the VAB, SPH and tracking station scenes in general have some performance issues, very non-smooth.)

I get this, sticky launchpads, and sometimes when I'm futzing with things in map mode I lose all control of my ship and have to exit out to the Kampus and then back to my ship from the tracking station. Ironically, I've never had any problems with the 64-bit and specifically switched to 32-bit this time because people mentioned the KSC upgrade bug in 64. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The sticky launchpads seems to be due to using the BACC boosters for me- particularly, if the BACC is what the rocket is being supported by/sitting on, then it'll get stuck.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

nielsm posted:

I get this too

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes when I test landing legs, the pad explodes.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

nielsm posted:

I have this. When I installed Karbonite it caused the whole game to lock up and then crash.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I've been very proud of my double-hard 0.25 save, having not yet lost a single Kerbal and the icing on the cake being landing my massive Minmus base with even better outcomes than expected (it has enough juice to return, I expected to have to send up a taxi when resources got low) but last night I tried an asteroid redirect contract, got my inclination completely wrong and on planning the return, realised I'd forgotten to put parachutes on the ship :downs:.

Rescue mission for Jenfield time.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Metrication posted:

I have this. When I installed Karbonite it caused the whole game to lock up and then crash.

Not it!

But seriously, it's not the mod itself given that it has no code left (it's all in Regolith), and it's just an implementation pack at this point. So either you have a memory issue, or something else funky is going down - both of which are hard to determine without a lot more info.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
All my textures are gone/white after using dds converter, which is odd because it was working fine before I did a fresh install. And if I try to load without using dds KSP runs out of memory while loading.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

RoverDude posted:

Not it!

But seriously, it's not the mod itself given that it has no code left (it's all in Regolith), and it's just an implementation pack at this point. So either you have a memory issue, or something else funky is going down - both of which are hard to determine without a lot more info.

What kind of info can I provide?

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Metrication posted:

What kind of info can I provide?

KSP version, OS, Windows version, is there actually a crash log? Memory usage at time of crash, etc.

And did you reinstall KSP? Do you have other mods? Did you try a clean install with just Karbonite, etc.?

Also general PSA and catching up with thread stuff!

For the goon who had problems with the array - show me a screenie. There are no default visualizations (the beach balls are gone) because Regolith is biome based. So the usual pattern would be to land, do science, and check for what stuff you can get there at the same time.

Also be sure to get the 0.1.1 update because I sucked at radian to latitude conversions.

@Max - yep, I have skype stuff. Conference call in a bit, but ping me on IRC after 10am EDT and I can toss you infos.

Oh... and SCANSat integration is done:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

RoverDude posted:

KSP version, OS, Windows version, is there actually a crash log? Memory usage at time of crash, etc.

And did you reinstall KSP? Do you have other mods? Did you try a clean install with just Karbonite, etc.?

For the record I'm on OSX 10.10 and it was a clean install, but it turns out I was using the 0.25 version of Kerbal Engineer instead of the 0.90 Test release one. Everything works fine now :)

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Oh hot :drat:!

The game updated literally on the day I flew out of the country for a month, after not playing for two months. At least I can look forward to mods getting themselves up to date for 0.90, and getting into CKAN! Seriously, this game has needed a proper mod/dependency manager for the longest time.

Everyone's comments on the updates are making me excited to play it again, since I've never played the game without manoeuvre nodes before. I'm looking forward to this game kicking my rear end all over the shop when I get back!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sokani posted:

Pilot kerbals grant SAS and the 90 science control node has a probe core that grants SAS. I just unlocked the control node to mount a rescue mission for a pilot stranded around minmus, because gently caress flying anywhere with the stayputnik. Doing anything without SAS is a huge pain.

Thanks you two, in my defense it was after 6am and I seem to have missed the OKTO - I know what my next node buy will be then. The guy I picked up was a scientist so no easy ride home. Then again, getting into orbit and matching up is the hard part anyway. At least when they land you get them with 2xp and thus level 1 unlocked.

Fine print question: Do I need to leave the satellites put into odd orbits for contracts forever? Or can I get rid of them at some point as I can see it building up into a mess.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Once you've completed the contract you can deorbit/recover them.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Once the contract is complete you can move them or destroy them. If you leave enough dv you can do multiple of those with the same satellite.

Or flag them as debris and they won't clutter up the map.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

oxbrain posted:

Once the contract is complete you can move them or destroy them. If you leave enough dv you can do multiple of those with the same satellite.

But be aware that this is only true if you accept the multiple contracts prior to launching that single satellite.

This is also true in Station Science, BTW. If you want to do multiple contracts with a single launch, all those contracts must have been accepted prior to that launch.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Sokani posted:

Pilot kerbals grant SAS and the [90 Science unlock Okto] probe core grants SAS [...] Doing anything without SAS is a huge pain.

Slap an Okto onto any mission that doesn't have a Pilot. I think that's actually a really neat feature, it's sort of like having computer-control systems versus going manual. It would be extremely neat if we could get a core with the level-2 ability in the first stage (maybe a paid unlock a la Interstellar?), for even more Gemini-style shenanigans.

:jeb: "Automatic guidance is off-course, engaging manual." -Bob Kerman, 2014-2014

eth0.n posted:

But be aware that this is only true if you accept the multiple contracts prior to launching that single satellite.

This is also true in Station Science, BTW. If you want to do multiple contracts with a single launch, all those contracts must have been accepted prior to that launch.

The contract does specify this up front. Something like, "This must be a new probe built and launched after the contract is accepted."

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
Replacement for the EL sprinklerhead...

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

revdrkevind posted:

Slap an Okto onto any mission that doesn't have a Pilot.
This is also a good idea just to let you keep control of the ship during EVAs.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
The contract for achieving orbit disappearing if you get into orbit before you accept that contract is kinda bullshit. Punishing you for doing well doesn't seem like a good idea.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Alaan posted:

I think my biggest in game request would be a maneuver node editor that doesn't feel like punching myself in the dick when doing orbital transfer planning without having to use MechJeb or another node editing mod.

THIS. The best thing would be to have the current maneuver node system, but the option to click a button on the node and it brings up something like mechjebs maneuver node editor where you can actually put in numbers directly rather than dragging stuff around aimlessly. The current system is great for getting a feel for how orbital maneuvers work and getting a general maneuver set up, but its an absolute ball ache if you want to get any sort of precision.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

revdrkevind posted:

Slap an Okto onto any mission that doesn't have a Pilot. I think that's actually a really neat feature, it's sort of like having computer-control systems versus going manual. It would be extremely neat if we could get a core with the level-2 ability in the first stage (maybe a paid unlock a la Interstellar?), for even more Gemini-style shenanigans.

The Stayputnik is infuriating because it includes neither basic SAS nor internal reaction wheels. A stand‐alone wheel set is massively overpowered, and without SAS to damp my controls, the only way I was able to orient probes was by abusing the way time skipping nulls angular momenta. Maybe I’m just bad at piloting, but I don’t feel that abusing time skip like that is intended behaviour. Perhaps I was supposed to use gimballing engines for all reorientation.

Of course later probe cores remedy this one way or the other, but what I really want is tweakable cores, for full SAS and reaction features (and price) in whichever form factor, instead of whichever shape happens to be later in the tech tree.

Since that feature doesn’t exist yet, I edited the config files to make it happen.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

uXs posted:

The contract for achieving orbit disappearing if you get into orbit before you accept that contract is kinda bullshit. Punishing you for doing well doesn't seem like a good idea.

It might really be a good thing is you simply automatically got the "launch a rocket" and "obtain orbit" contracts auto-accepted at the start of a new career game. Maybe even special-case the obtain orbit contract so it yields more if you finish it earlier, or fold the height record contracts into it to yield partial completion bonuses.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Platystemon posted:

The Stayputnik is infuriating because it includes neither basic SAS nor internal reaction wheels. A stand‐alone wheel set is massively overpowered, and without SAS to damp my controls, the only way I was able to orient probes was by abusing the way time skipping nulls angular momenta. Maybe I’m just bad at piloting, but I don’t feel that abusing time skip like that is intended behaviour. Perhaps I was supposed to use gimballing engines for all reorientation.

Of course later probe cores remedy this one way or the other, but what I really want is tweakable cores, for full SAS and reaction features (and price) in whichever form factor, instead of whichever shape happens to be later in the tech tree.

Since that feature doesn’t exist yet, I edited the config files to make it happen.

Tweakable cores is a great idea. We've got part-changing mechanics, make it so when you change a probe core it can have SAS or reaction wheels at a funds/weight cost.

As-is it's nearly impossibly to use a Stayputnik-only probe. I put one on the Mun and don't want to try it again- and that's someone with some flight sim experience so I'm an okay hand at these sorts of controls. I mean maybe if I had a joystick hooked up it could happen, but on a keyboard it's a nightmare. Even with precise controls, you'd have to thust-limit RCS to have a chance at controlling it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

nielsm posted:

It might really be a good thing is you simply automatically got the "launch a rocket" and "obtain orbit" contracts auto-accepted at the start of a new career game. Maybe even special-case the obtain orbit contract so it yields more if you finish it earlier, or fold the height record contracts into it to yield partial completion bonuses.

It seems like there should be an "achievement" system that automatically gives certain rewards after certain milestones without having to worry about accepting contracts. The contracts system could then have the more specialized "OMG I NEED $$$" missions like part testing, surveying the Mohole, or putting a Class-E asteroid in a Molniya orbit around Jool.

I know there are achievement mods already but this makes sense to include in the base game for ease of gameplay.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Moly B. Denum posted:

If you right click on the part in the VAB, there should be a button to buy the unlock at the bottom of the info window.

It is, and I tried that in 0.25 and it didn't work. I'm not sure if I've tried it since installing 0.90, I'll give it a shot.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

revdrkevind posted:

As-is it's nearly impossibly to use a Stayputnik-only probe. I put one on the Mun and don't want to try it again- and that's someone with some flight sim experience so I'm an okay hand at these sorts of controls. I mean maybe if I had a joystick hooked up it could happen, but on a keyboard it's a nightmare. Even with precise controls, you'd have to thust-limit RCS to have a chance at controlling it.

Reaction wheels and cheesing the time acceleration to make you hold a position makes Stayputnik probes flyable, but I do wish they had at least rudimentary SAS of some kind.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Does anyone have CKAN working on a Mac? It's supposed to, and I even installed the workaround Mono framework linked in the latest release. On my own volition I chmodded ckan.exe with +x but I still get -bash: ./ckan.exe: cannot execute binary file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RoverDude posted:

Replacement for the EL sprinklerhead...

Gotta say, I'm pretty stoked for EPL to release an 0.90 version entirely because of UKS integration with it.

I just hope the 0.90 version either fixes build times, or has a way to disable them. Or disables them by default and integrates with Kerbal Construction Time. That would be pretty nice.

Luceo posted:

Does anyone have CKAN working on a Mac? It's supposed to, and I even installed the workaround Mono framework linked in the latest release. On my own volition I chmodded ckan.exe with +x but I still get -bash: ./ckan.exe: cannot execute binary file.

I don't think OSX has a binloader for CLR executables. Try "mono ckan.exe" rather than running it directly.

Splode posted:

Oh for God's sake squad.

They STILL haven't fixed decouplers or phantom forces from exiting a vehicle.

I know. It's especially baffling because there's been a mod that fixes these for ages.

The good news is that that mod still works in 0.90; delete SymmetryActionFix.dll and LargeCraftLaunchFix.dll (the former is busted and the latter is fixed in stock now), but the rest, including the decoupler fix and EVA fix, work.