Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

McKilligan posted:

Great finale, but I'll admit that I enjoyed TLA more - I think that Korra suffered from having a 'villain of the week (season)', whereas with Aang there was the more persistent, omnipresent threat of the Fire Lord, whose presence and footprint was felt throughout the entire series. Kuvira was a decent villain, but I liked Ozai as a nemesis much more. It may have been the lack of his presence in the series that lent him a greater threat as an unknown, but Kuvira, laser-mecha superweapon and all, still wasn't as compelling a villain as Ozai.

I feel like on some level it would have made more sense to have used Vaatu as the overarching villain considering he was probably the 'biggest' villain in the whole Avatar series. It really felt weird for basically the God of Evil to be a season villain. Plus it would have been a good tie into the idea of Korra needing to focus on the spiritual side of the Avatar role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel like on some level it would have made more sense to have used Vaatu as the overarching villain considering he was probably the 'biggest' villain in the whole Avatar series. It really felt weird for basically the God of Evil to be a season villain. Plus it would have been a good tie into the idea of Korra needing to focus on the spiritual side of the Avatar role.

On the other hand it would have made something like the Book 2 finale the finale of the show, which a.) probably wouldn't have been as great as what we got, but also b.) it would have deprived us of the cool thing we saw in Books 3 and 4 where we really got a sense of how much the world was changed in the wake of Vaatu's defeat.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The Red Lotus were the only cool dudes and they didn't happen until 3

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I don't think it would have worked as well.

I never felt like Vaatu had much weight as a villain. I don't even think that was necessarily just a fault of much of Season 2 being a muddled mess either; with a few exceptions, I don't think it ever has as much emotional heft when the Big Bad of a series is a completely inhuman/purely existential threat as it does when the Big Bad is a regular old bad human. Evil humans have relatable personalities and goals, while Pure Evil types almost never do. The only times having a Satanic figure as the main villain really works is when you humanize Satan, or get a really loving good actor to lend them personality.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I eagerly anticipate the comic where we get to see Varrick and Su and maybe some of the Red Lotus way back when they were in the circus.

Also, just because Asami didn't get a lot of on-screen action doesn't mean she didn't get some off-screen :pervert:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

OldTennisCourt posted:

Korra is the main villain of the series. Every season villain is a dark mirror of her in some way (and they made this explicit in Season 4). She achieves final victory when, instead of beating herself up, she finds compassion and forgives/accepts her failures in the form of Kuvira.

What a great ending.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Danger posted:

Korra is the main villain of the series. Every season villain is a dark mirror of her in some way (and they made this explicit in Season 4). She achieves final victory when, instead of beating herself up, she finds compassion and forgives/accepts her failures in the form of Kuvira.

What a great ending.
Yeah. :unsmith:

It was a pretty bumpy ride, but I'm glad we went on it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The ending they went with was better then the villain taken out by the thing their abusing trope.
I was expecting a spirit to possess Kuvira like those Wan episodes, really glad that didn't happen.

YOU GRASP EXCEED GRASP! NO CONTROL NATURE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEChG1DKGvY

ME AM PLAY GODS

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yup that was pretty drat cool. These last two seasons are only soured by the end of S1 and shaky stuff of S2 but now that it's over I really liked Korra overall. :3:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
RIP all the brave souls lost on the Day of the Colossus

RIP Bumi
RIP Kya
RIP General Iroh
RIP Cabbage Corp

Good job Tahno :unsmith:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Zedd posted:

Yup that was pretty drat cool. These last two seasons are only soured by the end of S1 and shaky stuff of S2 but now that it's over I really liked Korra overall. :3:

To be fair, we got a murder-suicide out of season 1, and a great setup for season 3 and 4 from season 2. :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

The finale was decent, I should probably try watching it again by myself instead of with friends and see if it's better when we're not laughing at the really out of place stuff or Korra, greatest bender in the world getting sucker punched with a rock to the face from a person she was looking directly at
gently caress off korra

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ETB posted:

To be fair, we got a murder-suicide out of season 1, and a great setup for season 3 and 4 from season 2. :v:
I'm probably one of the few people that puts S2 over S1 actually, I did love the first two episodes of s1 though.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Zedd posted:

I'm probably one of the few people that puts S2 over S1 actually, I did love the first two episodes of s1 though.

I think the first two seasons were fine, but nothing stellar. Season 3 is what I would watch over and over again, especially the finale. Korra chained-up bending + Tonraq, so awesome.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
One of the best visual moments of the finale, imo.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yea I was impressed. Evacuating the city was just an excuse for them to tear it up in as many cool ways as possible. Throw an entire loving building on that giant robot, have a spirit nuke go off in the middle of Central Park, everything

:allears:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

My jaw dropped when that happened.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I got to say I laughed at the wedding scene because it was similar to the wedding at the end of MGS4

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yes, definitely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I got to say I laughed at the wedding scene because it was similar to the wedding at the end of MGS4

MGS4 would have been way better if Snake left to go on a date with Otacon.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

This is when I realized how much they were going to throw into the grinder. What a great episode, and end to the whole series.

Also I'm still giddy that Korrasami is all but canon. It's really awesome.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Why are any of you responding to the guy who thought The Beach was made for pedophiles?

Dude u should tweet this @ the president doggs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheModernAmerican posted:

Also I'm still giddy that Korrasami is all but canon. It's really awesome.
It's straight up canon. They would have kissed if Nick had allowed them to, and nothing can convince me otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It sort of genuinely makes me happy to see positive responses to Korrasami. I thought it was nice but I've honestly come around more on it since I've seen responses from some of my friends who it hits a lot closer to home for and who are just happy to see it presented in a positive way.

I rewatched the episodes with my little sister and her response was "they're like our aunts!" (who are a married lesbian couple with adopted kids) so that sold it a lot for me too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'd just like a place on the internet to talk about a show that's part of a franchise that honestly means a lot to me without having to deal with one-note threadshitting.

lol lol jfc just lol, this is a kid's anime show and this is how you post about it

srsly get the gently caress over yourself

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

ImpAtom posted:

It sort of genuinely makes me happy to see positive responses to Korrasami. I thought it was nice but I've honestly come around more on it since I've seen responses from some of my friends who it hits a lot closer to home for and who are just happy to see it presented in a positive way.

I rewatched the episodes with my little sister and her response was "they're like our aunts!" (who are a married lesbian couple with adopted kids) so that sold it a lot for me too.

D'aww, this is one of many reasons why Korrasami is the best. :3:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

lol lol jfc just lol, this is a kid's anime show and this is how you post about it

srsly get the gently caress over yourself

Dude, chill. The Korra threads have been treated like poo poo for no really good reason and SHM isn't nearly as unreasonable as he's been caricatured.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Aww that's really sweet. :3:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

:3:
This show means real things to real people, gently caress the haters.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorWhat posted:

Dude, chill. The Korra threads have been treated like poo poo for no really good reason and SHM isn't nearly as unreasonable as he's been caricatured.

you do know he got this thread taken away from him, like literally because he was that bad an op right

this is a thing that happened

this is how seriously he takes a children's cartoon anime

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Stuff like this matters. :unsmith:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: No, literally not worth the effort. Not when there's stuff like the post above that actually loving matters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

SpiderHyphenMan Did Nothing Wrong

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Anyone else feel like they might be exaggerating about that Korrasami confirmation? In a show like this, it's incredibly possible they had just bonded over being good friends through all the poo poo they've gone through and neither of them want to deal with a relationship anymore. My gut says you're right and it seems hinted at, but I can't help but feel like it lacked confirmation and could easily just be them being really good friends happy to comfort each other. I wish they went just a bit further..

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Akumos posted:

Anyone else feel like they might be exaggerating about that Korrasami confirmation? In a show like this, it's incredibly possible they had just bonded over being good friends through all the poo poo they've gone through and neither of them want to deal with a relationship anymore. My gut says you're right and it seems hinted at, but I can't help but feel like it lacked confirmation and could easily just be them being really good friends happy to comfort each other.
Animal Farm is a book about talking animals on a farm.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

you do know he got this thread taken away from him, like literally because he was that bad an op right

this is a thing that happened

this is how seriously he takes a children's cartoon anime

I've been following the threads. Apart from getting Too Mad about the guessing over Amon's identity, SHM was better than a lot of other OPs I've seen.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Akumos posted:

Anyone else feel like they might be exaggerating about that Korrasami confirmation? In a show like this, it's incredibly possible they had just bonded over being good friends through all the poo poo they've gone through and neither of them want to deal with a relationship anymore. My gut says you're right and it seems hinted at, but I can't help but feel like it lacked confirmation and could easily just be them being really good friends happy to comfort each other. I wish they went just a bit further..

Not a chance. The imagery wasn't even subtle.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I am just so incredibly happy they nailed the ending. A couple of things left unanswered, but oh well. They made every minute count. And I FINALLY got my magical kungfu fix! The way they tore up the entire city was jaw-dropping - hell, at times it looked like the benders did more damage than the actual supermech. I really liked that little move where an earthbender slows his/her fall on a wall, and rips open the entire building in the process. :allears: Very fluid, some extremely elaborate magical kungfu (goddamn, lavabending has some sick moves) and one of the best 1v1 in the entire series... screw that, the best: Kuvira vs Korra in the command center. And hey, Mako got an awesome fight as well! Not against anybody named, but drat. I think Mako actually turned into a pretty good character, so I'm glad he got something to do. I think it's funny how both brothers resorted to actual brawling at one point.
And countless awesome little details: Pema plainly stating how much of an unholy terror Meelo is; Ikki trying to dance at the wedding, just like little kids do; Bolin's movie girl at the wedding; Varrick awkwardly saying "I took her for granted" while talking about the horse; Tenzin being so darn happy that Korra feels like she's just beginning; Meelo not actually fartbending with the most obvious setup for that in the series; Prince Wu's stupid awesome shuffle towards the dance floor; airbenders swarming around like flies, catching each other; Mako almost blowing up his arm and visibly getting more determined... oh, and that super-slow mo cross counter for Korra and Kuvira. And I laughed out loud when Kuvira aimed the whole spirit cannon at Korra in person. Haha, didn't see that coming, did you Korra? Bwahaha

Too bad there was no spectacular swordbender - seriously, I totally expected one of the engineers to actually be one of Kuvira's expert metal benders and whip out the bandit's twinsword(s). There was also no Red Lotus, but I didn't expect them to be the focus in any way... and I guess I'll have to accept that Suyin isn't secretly evil. And we still don't know who Suyin's dad is! I expect this franchise to deliver on the juicy gossip!!! I also would have liked to see Raiko again; he was one of the more morally ambigous characters on the show, and in the third-to-last episode, he showed some serious backbone when facing Kuvira's army. Maybe give him a little closing scene with Wu. Oh well. Can't have everything, even though we got so much. Oh, and regarding KorraXAsami - drat, this looks stupid even writing it... In any way, I wasn't surprised at all, and I like how subdued it was. Leaves room for nay-sayers, makes yay-sayers happy, and is still drat progressive for this kind of show. I was about to think that they actually gave Mako x Korra an appropriate ending - kind of in the air, could happen -, and then Asami came along... kinda funny, really. If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldn't even have known what the big deal was. In any case, going to a new, more or less unknown place with a friend was a nice moment to fade out on. Let's have an adventure. And if it's a girlfriend, sure, all's fine :unsmith:

I'm gonna miss this series, and all its magical kungfu.
goddamn lavabending so loving awesome

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Not a chance. The imagery wasn't even subtle.

I guess I'm just disappointed it had to air on Nick, I wanted to see them go through with a kiss or something. I'm a skeptic at heart. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Akumos posted:

Korra is as bi as Spike is dead.

• Locked thread