Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

ToxicFrog posted:

How much dv does an MMU have? My unmanned rescue vehicle to the Mun is having a bad time with an eclipse and Jeb may have to match orbits with it by hand.

I think it has something like 500 m/s of dV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cubey posted:

This is secretly the best part of .90. I've been constantly surprised by how much you can do with so few parts and it's really made my designs a shitton better and cheaper, both of which are pretty drat important since I'm playing on hard.

I did that at first, and then I upgraded both the launchpad and the VAB and my next launch was a 120-tonne monstrosity to put a Station Science lab in orbit.

It went up remarkably smoothly, I was expecting it to be a total pain in the arse but it practically went into orbit without me touching the controls at all. A dream to fly.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I just got done with a mission ostensibly to Bop but hosed up horribly and ended up with too little dV to get there after arriving at Jool. So I decided to try and use my remaining fuel to land on Laythe instead, with no parachutes. I ended up near the south pole, which gives a fuckin dope view of the Joolian system. It's also really drat dark there.

This is the first time I've ever landed anything at all on any Joolian moon.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Ok woah. Everyone remember to turn off the "lock to retrograde" SAS mode before taking off again from the Mun. :stare:

I really think it should be possible to change the SAS mode without turning SAS on first.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Woo! 584.4 science on the first launch!

Normal career + FAR
leave atmo + orbit contracts
20% funds > science (not enough cash to go higher even with contract advances)
3 RT-10s + 1 LV-30 stack (overheating fuckery to separate stages)
2 crew reports and an EVA after landing

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Avenging Dentist posted:

I really think it should be possible to change the SAS mode without turning SAS on first

I totally agree, after my ship spun around a few times during flight I thought about how terrible it would be for landing and takeoff. I've been setting my SAS to stability assist before turning it off, but if the selection menu stayed up all the time that would be better.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Accepted a contract to do some samples of Bop, so I went there and landed, marking the first manned landing of a Joolian moon I've ever done. I landed 12km away from the sample sites but just EVA's my way over since the gravity is so low. Took a long time, but hey.

Got a cool ~600k total for the mission and ascended feeling pretty happy, but then I realized

That is not nearly enough fuel to get home on :suicide:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I can't believe nobody ever made a mod to automatically turn off time acceleration when you're close to full parachute deployment or landing. Turning it back on after parachute deployment optional.

Edit: oh poo poo, declining contracts is great. I declined a bunch of fairly useless ones (test poo poo in flight for little reward) and got some much better ones right away: gather science data from orbit, test poo poo when landed. So hot tip: when you don't like a contract, don't leave it there but decline away!

uXs fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 20, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

"Do test at some site" contracts are fine and all, but pleeeeeeease give me a distance-to-site readout somewhere!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
50 science for testing a decoupler from the launch pad feels like cheating. (Still doing it.)

Edit: and now I can do the same test again for the same amount of science. This IS just cheating: I decline every contract that's not 'test this thing landed at Kerbin', and do the ones that are with a pod & fuel tank + the item in test secured to the ground with stability enhancers. Zero risk & cost, all the rewards. (Just make sure the stab. enhancers are above the item in test in the staging order.)

Now sure, static fire tests are a real thing and those contracts should definitely stay in, but repeating them for the same amount of science doesn't make sense.

uXs fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 20, 2014

Carrier
May 12, 2009

uXs posted:

I can't believe nobody ever made a mod to automatically turn off time acceleration when you're close to full parachute deployment or landing. Turning it back on after parachute deployment optional.

Edit: oh poo poo, declining contracts is great. I declined a bunch of fairly useless ones (test poo poo in flight for little reward) and got some much better ones right away: gather science data from orbit, test poo poo when landed. So hot tip: when you don't like a contract, don't leave it there but decline away!

There is a mod that does exactly that! Safechute to be precise, its in the CKAN mod listing.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Carrier posted:

There is a mod that does exactly that! Safechute to be precise, its in the CKAN mod listing.

Exactly what I hoped someone would say :-)

Also: CKAN is the best thing ever.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

nielsm posted:

"Do test at some site" contracts are fine and all, but pleeeeeeease give me a distance-to-site readout somewhere!

Agreed so much; it would be great if Squad could implement some sort of visual border around the surface targets. Hell, it would be fantastic if accepting the mission spawned like a flag or a piece of debris or some thing that made the vast expanse of dirt/sand/snow unique. I understand targetting the apo/periapse would further trivialize the satellite contract missions (seriously, I've had a ten grand rocket fulfill two Mun orbit contracts running in opposing orbits, easiest half mil ever) but having a nice target for landing would certainly be a welcome addition.

So this post isn't just a feature request, holy poo poo I love the new editor. Making planes is an absolute breeze now, and I love that I no longer have to figure from the outside in when making gull wings and repositioning landing gear for the millionth time. I used to spend an hour designing a plane but now I can do it in minutes; the revamp has made it feel like a whole new game.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
Editor Extensions for 0.90 is out! :toot:

No vertical snap yet, but shouldn't be long now.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

Cubey posted:

Accepted a contract to do some samples of Bop, so I went there and landed, marking the first manned landing of a Joolian moon I've ever done. I landed 12km away from the sample sites but just EVA's my way over since the gravity is so low. Took a long time, but hey.

Got a cool ~600k total for the mission and ascended feeling pretty happy, but then I realized

That is not nearly enough fuel to get home on :suicide:

Might be surprised, take a look at a transfer to Tylo when it is at the right phase angle for a Kerbin return. A slingshot should get you home again, 800 m/s sounds possible.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Edminster posted:

Agreed so much; it would be great if Squad could implement some sort of visual border around the surface targets. Hell, it would be fantastic if accepting the mission spawned like a flag or a piece of debris or some thing that made the vast expanse of dirt/sand/snow unique. I understand targetting the apo/periapse would further trivialize the satellite contract missions (seriously, I've had a ten grand rocket fulfill two Mun orbit contracts running in opposing orbits, easiest half mil ever) but having a nice target for landing would certainly be a welcome addition.

I've given up on the ground-based Kerbin survey contracts entirely because it's just too loving frustrating walking around to try and find the right spot. When it takes you 15 minutes to actually figure out where the survey area is because there's no visual cues (even on 4x time acceleration) then there's something iffy with the game design. You can activate navigation on the navball, but that doesn't do jack poo poo for you when you're on EVA.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Luneshot posted:

I've given up on the ground-based Kerbin survey contracts entirely because it's just too loving frustrating walking around to try and find the right spot. When it takes you 15 minutes to actually figure out where the survey area is because there's no visual cues (even on 4x time acceleration) then there's something iffy with the game design. You can activate navigation on the navball, but that doesn't do jack poo poo for you when you're on EVA.

Are you walking from one location to another? Why? Get in your plane.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I did a survey on Duna with a rover. You can click on the markers in the map view and they put an icon on your nav ball. If that isn't good enough then you can use mechjeb to place a way point and it will draw a line towards it. It would be nice if something like that was stock though. I just mechjeb for information all the time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

But if you use the "rover base" block and stack a probe core onto that, then your navball will be aligned upwards forever, meaning you can't actually see the waypoints on the ball. It's also hard to judge how much further you actually have to drive to reach a survey site, since your only way to see your own location in relation to the site is on the map, which has low resolution terrain and a limit to how far you can zoom in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nielsm posted:

But if you use the "rover base" block and stack a probe core onto that, then your navball will be aligned upwards forever, meaning you can't actually see the waypoints on the ball. It's also hard to judge how much further you actually have to drive to reach a survey site, since your only way to see your own location in relation to the site is on the map, which has low resolution terrain and a limit to how far you can zoom in.

Right‐click on the rover base and “control from here”?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

Are you walking from one location to another? Why? Get in your plane.

My plane had an accident, and I was so close (or at least I thought I was) that I didn't want to recover and fly all the way over there again.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I just realized that due to its axis of rotation being perfectly perpendicular to its orbit, combined with the fact its orbit of Kerbol is perfectly circular, Kerbin has no seasons.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Engines having directional control or not should probably be a property, having to hunt it down in the flavor text for that is kinda weird.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

uXs posted:

Engines having directional control or not should probably be a property, having to hunt it down in the flavor text for that is kinda weird.

It's called gimbal, and most engines have it. If you right click for more info it tells you if the engine has gimbal.

I do think the part selection could do with some enhanced filtering options though, gimbal is one, (is researched and purchased) vs (is researched and requires purchase) should be another.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kilonum posted:

I just realized that due to its axis of rotation being perfectly perpendicular to its orbit, combined with the fact its orbit of Kerbol is perfectly circular, Kerbin has no seasons.

I was thinking about this too. In our solar system there are some very peculiar anomolies, like Venus rotating very slightly retrograte, or Uranus's axis of rotation being almost 90 degrees from its orbital path, or Triton (large moon of Neptune) orbiting retrograde. I haven't explored the whole Kerbol system yet, does it have this sort of variety? I've only seen inclinations and eccentricities in orbits so far.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Spookydonut posted:

It's called gimbal, and most engines have it. If you right click for more info it tells you if the engine has gimbal.

I do think the part selection could do with some enhanced filtering options though, gimbal is one, (is researched and purchased) vs (is researched and requires purchase) should be another.

You know what I just realized I really want from part selection?

I want the ability to create new top-level categories -- i.e. not ones hidden in the advanced sort menu -- and I want the ability to move parts into a different top-level category than the one they default to. At present the former is impossible, and the latter requires writing a ModuleManager config and restarting the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

I was thinking about this too. In our solar system there are some very peculiar anomolies, like Venus rotating very slightly retrograte, or Uranus's axis of rotation being almost 90 degrees from its orbital path, or Triton (large moon of Neptune) orbiting retrograde. I haven't explored the whole Kerbol system yet, does it have this sort of variety? I've only seen inclinations and eccentricities in orbits so far.

I don't think so, no. Things like funky rotational axes or retrograde orbits would be a good way to add more planets and keep them fresh. We should certainly have more than one gas giant.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think so, no. Things like funky rotational axes or retrograde orbits would be a good way to add more planets and keep them fresh. We should certainly have more than one gas giant.

Yeah, some more variety in where to go would be nice...

Alternis Kerbol was one of my favourite mods, I wish it was maintained.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Where's the pod from?

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

KAS decided to not let kerbal load this morning despite working fine all day yesterday, so no idea what was happening there but if anyone else is crashing on game start, that may be it.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Yeah, some more variety in where to go would be nice...

Alternis Kerbol was one of my favourite mods, I wish it was maintained.
Same, and my fondest pipe-dream wish for 1.0 is that Squad would get in touch with NovaSilisko and acquire the rights to it so they could give it some polish, add some asteroids, and release it as a second starting system option.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Is there a fix/work-around for the bug where you get ejected forcefully away from the ship whenever you go on EVA? All these biomes everywhere need reporting on, but it's a real pain to get back to the ship when I get shot away 80% of the time.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yes.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Thanks.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
I just discovered an incredibly frustrating bug. I've no idea what causes it or how to replicate it, but the effects are lovely.

I had 1 Ike craft returning to Kerbin. Launched 4 more heading toward Ike, 1 toward Duna, 1 toward Gilly and 1 toward Jool. Most of the Duna ones encountered the Mun on the way there, so I had to do a lot of switching and moving throught the SOI transitions without time acceleration.
I did all that, did my Jool and Eve missions and my first Ike sat got in position.

Things were going great.

HOWEVER... Kerbal Alarm Clock had an alarm set for the Kerbin return mission - it had about 10 days left until the encounter according to KAC.
I moved focus over to it... and it was in front of Kerbin. By a lot.
So I think - it's fine, probably a KAC bug. I'll get an encounter in 4 years, no big deal.

I switch over to my Duna station in sun orbit, since it was the closest to encountering Duna... and it had no encounter. At all. I fiddled with precise node and found I had to accelerate 170 m/s prograde to get an encounter. Which is stupid, since I confirmed it had an encounter at 20 km Pe while it was in Sun orbit, 100 or so days earlier.
I'm pretty sure that's not KAC's fault.

Switched to the second Ike sat in transit - it hadn't been hosed over.
Then I switched to the third one and it HAD. 180 m/s prograde to fix the encounter with Duna.
The fourth and final Ike mission had its original encounter.

I've no idea what could be causing this and it's not like I have all that many mods either, so I'm thinking something stock is borked.

sckye fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 20, 2014

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Could be floating point errors because of time acceleration.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Could be floating point errors because of time acceleration.

This all happened while the ships were on rails, though. When I was focused on the craft, the encounters didn't change at all and I didn't move through any SOI transitions with time acceleration.
Never had a single instance of this happening in earlier versions either.

Tenebrais posted:

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that quickloading wasn't resetting the position of planets, etc to where they were when you quicksaved. I'm skeptical of that, but maybe there's a deeper problem here?

I did quickload a few times, after forgetting that Jool's atmosphere begins way deeper than stated by the game, so that I could use it for aerocapture.

sckye fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 20, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I had something similar recently, actually. I set up a manouver node to minmus, then switched to a piece of debris to watch it crash into Kerbin. When I switched back the node wasn't encountering Minmus any more and I had to fiddle with it to get it right.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that quickloading wasn't resetting the position of planets, etc to where they were when you quicksaved. I'm skeptical of that, but maybe there's a deeper problem here?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

sckye posted:

Editor Extensions for 0.90 is out! :toot:

No vertical snap yet, but shouldn't be long now.

There's another editor addon that looks promising: Part Angle Display

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

A planet with a retrograde orbit. :getin: