Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magni
Apr 29, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Joker apparently monitoring the rooms (since he knows when you knock a dude out).

The thugs are wearing armbands monitoring their lifesigns. Joker sits at the monitoring station and can see that way wether a guy has been knocked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, I'm not terribly familiar with the Flash, but is he basically what happens when a happy, well adjusted person gets superpowers and decides to have a rad time with them and help people?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Night10194 posted:

So, I'm not terribly familiar with the Flash, but is he basically what happens when a happy, well adjusted person gets superpowers and decides to have a rad time with them and help people?

Basically. Although one of his infrequent nemeses is actively trying to give him a tragic backstory by murdering his loved ones so that he'll become a more effective hero.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Onmi posted:

It's opposite Reed Richards syndrome. Reed Richards is sort of accidentally 99% of the time written to be a tosser. Lex really IS an rear end in a top hat.

This kinda depends on which Reed Richards we're talking about though, Ultimate Reed does go down the amoral route and becomes as much a villain, although I can't remember if that was just circumstantial because of the events or if it also had to do with the fact that he was Lex smart and just fell off the good guy wagon.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
The defining character flaw of pre-flash Barry Allen is that he is always late.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Night10194 posted:

Flash's stories can have serious moments, but the Flash's in general are happy people.

also really freaking awesome. Remember how I said that the 90's was like a real resurgance for DC in regards to their heroes? the flagship title at the time was JLA written by Grant Morrison.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I also enjoy how Strange somehow one-upped the stupidity of "blow the gently caress out of everyone" with "blow the gently caress out of yourself"

Even stranger, that the delusional maniac who thinks he's invincible yet decided to program self destruct system.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That being said, I absolutely adore the Protocol 10 segment. Gliding through the city while the Arkham City theme plays and trying to avoid the missile strikes is really great. As is ascending Wonder Tower. I just wish there was a boss fight with Strange.

Hell, not just a boss fight, make the predator section bigger and going for real, with both Strange's Tyger guards and Bats pulling out all the stops. Make it akin to the Freeze battle in that it isn't just Bats doing the hunting, but him truly getting hunted in turn. Detective vision jamming, guys moving in groups on coordinated sweeps and and checking the hiding spots, strategically placed booby traps, gargoyles being systematically wrecked at the drop of a hat and so on. Bats hacking into the Tyger coms to mislead and distract guards, shutting down (or on - to blind night vision) the lights to create opportunities, using environmental bits to take out some and terrify the others etc. Make Bats and the player have to pull out all the stops because these guys aren't thugs - they're professionals and they've been preparing and training for this under Strange for a long drat time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually, while he is making it look remarkably easy, that last arena on top of Wonder tower is a massive pain in the rear end to clear, especially on an challenge extreme run.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, TYGER Guards aren't really all that impressive. Their one advantage over regular goons is that, since they've been brainwashed, they're unable to go into the same Terrified state that thugs are. So if you pop out at the last one and try to scare him, you're getting a bullet to the face.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Oh yes. Yes it is :eng99:

Hyper aware fast guards make for a miserable experience :emo:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Actually, while he is making it look remarkably easy, that last arena on top of Wonder tower is a massive pain in the rear end to clear, especially on an challenge extreme run.

It is, but mostly because the layout of the area, not because of the Tyger guys. It'd have been a hell of a lot better if you'd set the scene in a location a lot easier to sneak around in (once you made it that way because it starts off with Tyger having set up closed doors and booby traps to try and funnel you into the open), but made the Tyger guys themselves act and react with a competence completely unlike the thugs you're used to. Having them actually coordinate with each other to systematically counteract your normal tricks up to this point and actively hunt down Bats, only for Bats to go and pull out tricks he's never done in a predator section before (because it wasn't needed against your average thug band) would have made the fight a lot more atmospheric and fun imo.

Basically, make it less a case of stalking thugs+1 in a very awkwardly laid out predator room and more of a deadly cat&mouse game against a squad of competent, highly-trained soldiers who have been preparing for this scenario and force Batman to pull out absolutely everything to survive and turn the tables on them.

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 20, 2014

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Onmi posted:

Flash's stories can have serious moments, but the Flash's in general are happy people.

also really freaking awesome. Remember how I said that the 90's was like a real resurgance for DC in regards to their heroes? the flagship title at the time was JLA written by Grant Morrison.

And in that comic series the "hero" aliens execute 5 people among them are Wolverine and Dr. Doom.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The funny thing to do is freeze the last guard and try and unlock the door. The game just doesn't allow it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Oh yeah, doesn't that explosion mean that all of the tyger guards you beat unconscious died?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fabricated posted:

Oh yeah, doesn't that explosion mean that all of the tyger guards you beat unconscious died?

I'm sure at least some of their chunks landed in a Lazarus pit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Speaking of, Batman's "He'll need a Lazarus Pit" joke seems kind of dark considering he was trying to save him just minutes before and he just had his spine severed symbolically by the Arkham logo.

And the pit can't bring back anyone who's completely dead.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Batman seems pretty okay with people dying around him. I mean, he probably could have disabled those helicopters he was jumping on without too much trouble and stopped them from killing anymore people, but he wasn't really concerned with that. As long as he's not the one doing the killing, it doesn't seem to bother him too much.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kurieg posted:

Speaking of, Batman's "He'll need a Lazarus Pit" joke seems kind of dark considering he was trying to save him just minutes before and he just had his spine severed symbolically by the Arkham logo.

In Under the Red Hood Ras brings back Jason Todd from the dead with one.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

my dad posted:

I'm sure at least some of their chunks landed in a Lazarus pit.

One of those mooks becomes the Arkham Knight,calling it right now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, I can't help but wonder if you can stop the missile strikes temporarily with the disruptor.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As a reminder, Strange is actually the first Batman villain- he appeared before joker in the comics. He's also relying on/a pawn of Ra's nigh-infinite funding and influence, which is why he has been able to do all of this.

Kurieg posted:

It can, at least in this universe. Ra's appears in Asylum as a corpse in the morgue, then disappears later in the game.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
If you go through the back door of the courthouse at anytime, you hear a sound like some machine turning on or being energized. It's the only time I have ever heard that sound. Neither of the front doors cause it. Just thought it was interesting and if anyone knew what it was about.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

If you go through the back door of the courthouse at anytime, you hear a sound like some machine turning on or being energized. It's the only time I have ever heard that sound. Neither of the front doors cause it. Just thought it was interesting and if anyone knew what it was about.

Off the top of my head, I think it's that door in the basement I opened way back with the electric-charged batarang. The game doesn't have a "persistent open" setting for the door, it just has a "is the fuse box broken? If yes, open the door. If no, close the door." And the fuse box doesn't fix itself.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

dscruffy1 posted:

Off the top of my head, I think it's that door in the basement I opened way back with the electric-charged batarang. The game doesn't have a "persistent open" setting for the door, it just has a "is the fuse box broken? If yes, open the door. If no, close the door." And the fuse box doesn't fix itself.

I kind of figured it was something like that.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Kurieg posted:

Nope, Lazarus Pits can resurrect the dead.

And while Batman may not have technically "saved" Ra's life, he did save Ra's. If al Ghul was caught in the explosion and completely obliterated, he wouldn't have been able to be revived. By throwing him out the window, not only did Batman give him an opportunity to be saved, (Which he squandered by trying to hara-kiri the both of them) he also ensured that Ra's could be revived.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I would think that with a name like Lazarus Pit, its whole intention is bringing someone back from the dead.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ra's was dead in Arkham Asylum. You can find his corpse in the mortuary, I believe. It vanishes at one point, of course.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Night10194 posted:

Yeah. Another example is the classic Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle, who pretty much as soon as he got his powers told his family*. And then got a sorceress for a girlfriend.

But nobody bought that book, mainly due to the killing off of the last Blue Beetle (despite the fact Jaime had massive respect for Ted, especially since he had alien exoskeletal armour that had weaponry up to 'possible theological implications'** level of power, while Ted had his wits and whatever gadgets he could come up with).

But sadly no fun is allowed in the DC universe, so they got everything good about the book wrong in the reboot.

*granted this was in fact a year later due to temporal shenanigans, but still, as soon as possible he disclosed to them.
**Actual quote from the book.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The whole "I can't tell my loved ones because it could put them in danger" thing in comics never made sense to me.

I mean, look at the old Spider-Man films. Aunt May gets grabbed by Doc Ock before he evens knows that Peter is Spider-Man and Mary Jane gets kidnapped in every film.

And despite that reasoning, he still kisses Gwen Stacy in public and on camera just to make forced drama with Mary Jane. :v:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The whole "I can't tell my loved ones because it could put them in danger" thing in comics never made sense to me.

Nevermind that discovering a superhero's identity really shouldn't be that hard. Anyone with a brain must know that Batman gets his gadgetry from somewhere, so it would only take a few steps to discover that most of his machines are made by Wayne Enterprises. Or worse, Clark Kent, who conveniently disappears every time Superman has to save the day.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

John Liver posted:

Nevermind that discovering a superhero's identity really shouldn't be that hard. Anyone with a brain must know that Batman gets his gadgetry from somewhere, so it would only take a few steps to discover that most of his machines are made by Wayne Enterprises. Or worse, Clark Kent, who conveniently disappears every time Superman has to save the day.

I think Batman is supposed to get by because nobody really gets a good look at how he operates. They're just robbing a bank, and then there's smoke, and then they're swallowing their own teeth. With Superman, I think the idea is that he cultivates such a strong persona of meek incompetence with Clark, that anybody who suspects it would toss the idea right out. I know Lex Luthor was outright told Clark Kent was Superman once, looked over at Clark, and then threw the report away assuming it was garbage.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Really, the fact that Superman is able to keep up a secret identity without a mask and a super-genius archnemesis like Lex Luthor is really amazing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, it definitely requires some amazing suspension of disbelief. I mean, as a non-comically groomed person, my first interpretation of that would be that that Luthor fellow isn't all that he's cracked up to be.

edit: VVV I really don't see how that proves anything about his personal qualities. I guess what I'm trying to say that superheroes are less super and more abusing their respective worlds' idiocy. It's less "that Superman/Batman/whateverman is great" and more "that Luthor/Joker/baddymcmurder#238 is a complete twat and the authors are just inefficiently trying to convince me otherwise".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 20, 2014

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

anilEhilated posted:

Well, it definitely requires some amazing suspension of disbelief. I mean, as a non-comically groomed person, my first interpretation of that would be that that Luthor fellow isn't all that he's cracked up to be.

To bear out your hypothesis: he does become president.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

He became president explicitly to gently caress with Superman. Lex stated outright that being President made him less powerful than he was before and wasted a tremendous amount of his time, but he knew it would make Superman angry so he went ahead with it.

As for Batman's secret identity, there was some recent comic I didn't read where he did like a press conference as Bruce Wayne and said "So for the record, I bankroll Batman, just an fyi" which was a loving genius move. It immediately transfers suspicion off Bruce himself since clearly if he was Batman, he wouldn't be telling people that he provides Batman all his toys right? Clearly that would just be dumb and everybody knows Bruce Wayne is an idiot playboy anyway. Then it also significantly widens the pool of people who could possibly be Batman. Because yeah, before that you'd think "well it's gotta be somebody with enough money for all his lovely toys, as well as somebody who probably doesn't have a loving day job" so that limits the possibilities to somebody with a lot of money and from there it's not that hard to go "Bruce Wayne has a lot of money, a tragic backstory for motivation, a lot of mysterious injuries, and every time he adopts a new kid, Batman gets a new sidekick." But if you think that Bruce Wayne is just bankrolling Batman then okay, now it could be anybody in the city. It doesn't have to be a rich guy with a lot of free time, it could be any random buff dude on the street.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

He became president explicitly to gently caress with Superman. Lex stated outright that being President made him less powerful than he was before and wasted a tremendous amount of his time, but he knew it would make Superman angry so he went ahead with it.

As for Batman's secret identity, there was some recent comic I didn't read where he did like a press conference as Bruce Wayne and said "So for the record, I bankroll Batman, just an fyi" which was a loving genius move. It immediately transfers suspicion off Bruce himself since clearly if he was Batman, he wouldn't be telling people that he provides Batman all his toys right? Clearly that would just be dumb and everybody knows Bruce Wayne is an idiot playboy anyway. Then it also significantly widens the pool of people who could possibly be Batman. Because yeah, before that you'd think "well it's gotta be somebody with enough money for all his lovely toys, as well as somebody who probably doesn't have a loving day job" so that limits the possibilities to somebody with a lot of money and from there it's not that hard to go "Bruce Wayne has a lot of money, a tragic backstory for motivation, a lot of mysterious injuries, and every time he adopts a new kid, Batman gets a new sidekick." But if you think that Bruce Wayne is just bankrolling Batman then okay, now it could be anybody in the city. It doesn't have to be a rich guy with a lot of free time, it could be any random buff dude on the street.

Although that also means that anyone wanting to hurt Batman can now target literally any aspect of Wayne Enterprises, so Bruce Wayne just put all his employees in harm's way.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Assuming that isn't already the case. More than a few are gunning for Wayne Enterprises already, Cobblepot being a prime example.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

Although that also means that anyone wanting to hurt Batman can now target literally any aspect of Wayne Enterprises, so Bruce Wayne just put all his employees in harm's way.

It's a big corporation in comics, they're already in harm's way.

"Hey Mugsy, I heard that Wayne Industries is moving a shipment of computer chips tonight, let's go rob the truck!" has the same result as "Hey Mugsy, let's mess with the Bat and blow up a truckful of Wayne Industries stuff!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also he goes on the internet with multiple accounts to constantly start bullshit arguments over who's Batman.

Seriously.

Also in regards to superman... Who said Superman has a secret identity? He flys around without a mask! he's a known alien, he lives in the Fortress of Solitude. Stories have changed these days from being "What's Supermans secret identity?" to "Superman has a Secret Identity?"

• Locked thread