Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

AradoBalanga posted:

I assume you mean Warrior, since Donny only has access to the Fighter line (which promotes to either Hero or Warrior), and not the Barbarian line (which is where you get Berserker from in Awakening).

Hm, I was wondering why he's a Hero in my current save file, guess that's why I have Yarne as my Berserker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Part 12: The Man Who Would Be Dord (Prep)

Welcome back. Last time Big Boss died, and Marth muttered about the Patriots for like 3 hours. Also our jerkass boss Lang told us to go stop a Rebellion in Macedon.

Yeah.

Marth demonstrates his ability to run on water.

...Why doesn't that prison cell have a back wall? Minerva, don't lean back :ohdear:

Narration: They landed in Macedon; their new mission to rescue Princess Minerva. After the War of Shadows, Macedon was led by Minerva, who exiled the oppressive generals and attempted to reform the military. However, the influential General Rucke opposed Minerva's peace-seeking ways. He assembled the exiled officers to instigate a coup d'etat. Caught unprepared, Minerva was captured by Rucke's followers, and his rebel army seized control of Macedon. Then, they dispached powerful dracoknights to guard the country's forested borders.

(I didn't include screens for all of this this time, because I noticed they were getting way too long. I got the picture and the map.)

Also insanely good in this game. Seriously, fliers are ridiculous in FE12.

: Macedon's main force consists of pegasus knights and dracoknights... Both are fast and highly mobile units. In particular, there are the Whitewings, who fought under our banner in the last war... There aren't many in these lands who could match their terrifying speeds.

: I would have loved to witness their prowess...

: Steve, while we're on the subject of speed...

This line changes based on MU's speed stat, which is kind of neat.

This is the "Middle" result.

The gently caress?

: Hm? You're...? Why do I feel like we've met somewhere before...?

Anna here is a recurring character in the FE games. She was in the Character Creation screen, if you remember that.

: Oh, don't worry about little old me. The important thing is that I came here to share a wonderful tip with you. Have you heard about How's Everyone?

Solid Steve.

: How's Everyone is all the rage! By checking it, you can see how everyone in your army is faring. You can watch your allies train, discover useful items, or even listen to their thoughts... So if you ever want to know how everyone is, then take a look at How's Everyone. Easy, right?

Listen to their thoughts? That's a little...uh...intrusive?

: I...see. Thanks?

: The more time passes, the more things you'll be able to see. If you ever feel the urge, then go ahead take a peek! Well, I'll be off now. Buh-bye!

So, How's Everyone is a new feature to the series. Every 15 minutes (IIRC) of System Time, it gains a "charge" up to 4 charges. Checking it in the menu consumes all the charges, and can give all sorts of bonuses, including bonus experience, free items, and temporary stat boosts.

Here's the overview screen for Chapter 2. First things first...

I actually got Malicia's stats this time. Her magic is abysmal, but that Luck stat is nice, and can help her survive a sudden "oh poo poo" moment if an enemy sneaks up on her.

Malicia is probably the most widely used cleric in the game, but the thread seems pretty happy with her as a mage? I'm going to get another healer soon, so if you guys think 2 female mages isn't overkill, well, let me know, and I'm willing to try it.

Here's where we start on the map. That village there is super tempting, I know. I'll get to it.

The boss here is of a promoted class, but honestly not a huge deal if you have a powerful archer on your team. That's about the only major weakness of fliers.

This guy has a face! We'll get to that.

Anyway, now I check How's Everyone.

This gives Cecille 12 EXP. Yay?

...Ryan. Do you really not know...never mind.

The Frying Pan is a joke weapon. It's the weakest Axe in the game. On the plus side, it looks hilarious.

Anyway, talking time.

Luke Support 1: Slightly Risen

Yeah, get a decent Mag stat first :argh:

Even Luke thinks this is dumb.

drat. Steve is cold as ice.

This is a quality blink.

Rude.

Actual Quote from Lang:

I love that Jagen describes this as "EXTREMELY RUDE".

One Prince/ss out of 3 ain't bad.

[img] Marth's Minerva/Michalis/Macedon Memory Minute [/img]

I guess I was a bit early on giving this exposition last update. I forgot the game did this. Eh.

So, that was representing a special technique in Shadow Dragon where you could surround an enemy with Palla, Catria, and Est to do a special attack that did a ton of damage. Sadly, it's pretty impractical to deploy all 3 at once.

Well, that's about it for this update. However, there's a bit of a poll I want to conduct.

People have mentioned that Ryan would make a pretty good Myrmidon due to his impressive Strength and Skill stats. So, I'm putting it up to a poll.

Should we reclass Ryan to Myrmidon?

Here are his initial stats upon reclass.

Pros:
-A really strong melee unit.
-A decently fast melee unit.
-Very high crit chance.
-Ryan sounds like Raiden so I can make a bunch of dumb MGR puns.

Cons:
-Losing out on bows will hurt when fliers get popular.
-Starting at an E-rank in Swords.
-Only one range.
-Ryan sounds like Raiden so I can make a bunch of dumb MGR puns.

Just put your votes in your posts. I'll announce the decision before the battle update goes up.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 8, 2015

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
There appears to be a problem with one of your image tags.

I'm always up for more MGR jokes, make him a Myrmidon (also known as the best class).

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Leave him as an archer and make the MGR puns anyway.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Don't start down the road of reclassing, or we'll be here all week voting on who should be reclassed to what based on their stats. Not only is Ryan just fine as an archer, but this chapter is one of several in which he completely owns thanks to the abundance of flyers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

EclecticTastes posted:

Don't start down the road of reclassing, or we'll be here all week voting on who should be reclassed to what based on their stats. Not only is Ryan just fine as an archer, but this chapter is one of several in which he completely owns thanks to the abundance of flyers.

I wouldn't go this far, but this chapter isn't the place to seriously consider reclassing, leave him as an archer.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Raitzeno posted:

Leave him as an archer and make the MGR puns anyway.

This, although I will accept reclassing Wrys to mage when we get him back so he can slaughter armies for us. :allears:

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Leave him as an archer for now. Is there any downside to reclassifying him from archer to myrmidon and vice versa depending on the amount of fliers in a map?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Leave him as an archer for now. Is there any downside to reclassifying him from archer to myrmidon and vice versa depending on the amount of fliers in a map?

Fliers tend to be accurate and usually have lances. Not good for Myrmidons.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Also echoing the leave Ryan as an archer sentiment for now.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

EclecticTastes posted:

Fliers tend to be accurate and usually have lances. Not good for Myrmidons.

I know. I'm saying that when there are maps with few or no flyers, we class him as a myrmidon. When the upcoming stage has many of them, like this one, we class him as an archer. Unless there is some sort of permanent penalty for reclassing.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Well, he starts at E Swords, which limits his effectiveness as a Myrmidon. Also, any weapon EXP he gains as a Myrmidon will be wasted if his final class can't use Swords. (I think LordHippoman said he wasn't playing with reclass limits unlocked, which is a bit unfortunate since otherwise Ryan could eventually reclass into a Horseman to use Swords and Bows.)

That's why reclassing magic units between Mage and Cleric/Curate works so well, promotion allows you to use all the built-up Weapon EXP to get a jump on healing/attacking. Draug as a Hunter is a useful physical reclass since he's good as a Hunter and can also can use the Bow EXP as a General.

Ryan: Leave him as an Archer.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 16, 2014

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I know. I'm saying that when there are maps with few or no flyers, we class him as a myrmidon. When the upcoming stage has many of them, like this one, we class him as an archer. Unless there is some sort of permanent penalty for reclassing.

There's enough use for Archers in maps without fliers that it's not a big deal. Never underestimate the usefulness of softening up tough bosses with arrows.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Looks like I'll be keeping Ryan as an Archer, then.

fade5 posted:

Well, he starts at E Swords, which limits his effectiveness as a Myrmidon. Also, any weapon EXP he gains as a Myrmidon will be wasted if his final class can't use Swords. (I think LordHippoman said he wasn't playing with reclass limits unlocked, which is a bit unfortunate since otherwise Ryan could eventually reclass into a Horseman to use Swords and Bows.)

Yeah, I'm playing on a fresh "cartridge", no class set mixing unlocked yet. I should probably put that in the OP. I'm going to try to get Chapter 2 out soon, but I'm hosting a surprise party for a friend I've got to prepare for, and finish Christmas shopping and all that. For now, just remember that everyone who said archers would be great here was totally right, and will be for the next few chapters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Max the crit on the Frying Pan and give it to whatever axe user you want to keep. Joke weapons are so cheap to forge you can make them into crit-sticks and chew guys up with a little crit-fishing, especially if they have high base strength like axe-users tend to have.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Lotish posted:

Max the crit on the Frying Pan and give it to whatever axe user you want to keep. Joke weapons are so cheap to forge you can make them into crit-sticks and chew guys up with a little crit-fishing, especially if they have high base strength like axe-users tend to have.

Also, there's no reason not to reclass that Warrior into a Berserker for additional crits. In fact, Barst is pretty much the best axe-wielding unit in the game in either class (I'd get him to promotion as a Fighter, then reclass from Warrior to Berserker, to make sure Strength doesn't lag, since its growth drops to a "mere" 60 in the latter class).

Also, just an aside, but Orphan-Wisdom-Honorable seems to be one of the best background combinations for My Unit. It's what I used for my Berserker MU, which is about as far from being a Mage as possible.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It would be pretty funny to just wreck up everyone with joke weapons.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 12: The Man Who Would Be Dord (Battle)

Welcome back. Last time, we went to Macedon to rescue Princess Minerva from her wall-less prison. That sounds like a metaphor but it's not. The Macedonians just have lovely architecture.

The "How's Everyone" meter has filled up! What idiocy will we encounter today?

Arran has never washed anything. Thus the cowlick. This is the Joke Lance.

The Magic doesn't do anything for Draug, but more Skill is always a nice bonus.

The Defense (Defence? Is that a British thing or a typo?) Stave lets us temporarily boost a unit's Defense. Good in a pinch.

Gordin's endless desire to be Captain Falcon has increased his stats.

So, we kept Ryan as an Archer, but I couldn't resist this.

JACK'S BACK

As the map starts, a familiar Pegasus Knight rides in...

: Yes, I'm fine. My older sister Palla and I managed to escape somehow. But Princess Minerva was captured by the rebels. Prince Marth, please... You have to rescue Princess Minerva! At this rate, her life will be in danger!

"I just now think her life might be in danger! I wasn't worried before, but now, poo poo."

: Of course I will help her. Catria, please take us to where she is.

: Yes, my lord! But first we have to break through these woods. General Rumel's dragon knight squad is lurking within this area. If we approach from the front, we'll be easy pickings for them.

It's...really not that dangerous.

: I see... So you're suggesting we flank them from the left or the right. Thank you, Catria. Leave it to us!

I'm not going to do that :shh:

Catria has joined us, and she's flat out one of the best characters in the game. She joins at a high level with good stats, and she keeps them.

Two things to note here. I'm marking the Hunters because they'll one shot our flier (Catria), and this Thief has the Lady Sword. This is a weapon only usable by female characters. It's really good, especially at this stage of the game. This Thief will make a beeline for the top left corner and try to escape the map, so you'll need to kill him quick if you want it. We have no female sword users right now (Except Cecille, but eh), but I'll grab it anyway.

I hope you like Recruiting characters, because here's another!

Oh my god, finally the dumb thread title starts to come into play.

: You're... Cord! What are you doing so far from Talys?

I like that it takes Marth a second to remember Cord. Like everyone.

: I couldn't sit still when I heard you's fighting again, so I came to join in. We're Talys's mercenaries, right? If ya died, Princess Caeda'd cry. Prince Marth, lemme fight too. I'll join you's army.

Talys is on an island way northeast of here. Cord moves fast.

Cord is a Fighter, which means we finally have an axe wielder. Cord is...well, okay, I guess. He's just average in about everything. He has a 100% HP growth, which is good, but he's not super impressive otherwise. Solid enough, though.

I'm going to wholeheartedly ignore Catria's advice and just run everyone through the middle.

The enemies advance to meet us, so I'll deal with them accordingly. It's worth mentioning that these forest tiles seriously hamper our movement, though. They provide extra defense and evade, but are hard as hell to wade through.

But, remember that named Hunter? Let's chat him up. You have to use Catria for this, which the game doesn't really tell you. This is one of the few characters you don't use Marth to recruit.

: You know I'm just a common hunter. If they pay me enough, I'll do anything.

Most hunters don't kill people.

: Warren, listen to me! Princess Minerva endeavored to create a country where its people could live at ease. She exiled soldiers and generals of ill repute to accomplish that goal. But General Rucke, despite knowing this, roused the soldiers into a coup d'etat. Can't you see? He's just trying to make this country into his own! And you can honestly say you're okay with that?

Catria delivers a rousing speech. :911:

: ...I see. Well, I don't like the military acting as if they owned the place... Alright then. If you're going to help the princess, then so will I.

Warren's pretty good. He's got a really high Strength stat, so he'll put the hurt on a lot of enemies, but sadly his Resistance is 0. And the Growth Rate is 0% (Before class rates). So mages will slaughter him.

Luckily, Catria is in just the right position to spear some hunter. She can double and kill these guys in one round.

THE SPOILS OF WAR :black101:

Warren and Cord team up to finish off the remaining Hunter.

Just showing how I've got my units set up, and also how drat slow the forest makes you. Arran's 10 Movement is down to 3.

Catria decides to prove she owns by critting this poor bastard dumb enough to attack her.

His buddies don't fare much better.

The next wave of enemies are these Cavaliers coming in from the north.

I'm having Catria disengage from the main group to chase down the Lady Sword thief.

Movement's not so bad when we aren't in the drat WOODS.

Behold, the exciting action of slowly moving everyone forward!

Luke's damage is still pretty impressive.

Luckily he's also pretty survivable, so I can keep this up.

After him, Catria!

I didn't want to leave poor Steve out.

Warren! :argh:

Thanks, Gordin.

Malicia patches up Luke, mostly for the experience, and I move Draug in to do a little damage.

This Cavalier can do some decent damage, even to Draug, thanks to his silver sword.

Thanks for catching up, Marth.

I move Cord up onto the Fort to try and lure some enemies from a safe position.

Probably shouldn't be using Arran, but eh. This turned out to be a bad idea as the turn ended because...

I pulled the drat boss. He does some decent damage, but luckily it was Arran, who is still beefy right now.

A few other enemies got pulled in on Cord, but thankfully he dodges one of their hits, keeping him alive. Thanks, Fort!

Catria finally catches up with that Thief. Remember him?

A good level up and free loot is what you should expect of Catria.

Remember how someone said bow users were awesome in this chapter?

Here's why. PEEP THAT DAMAGE.

Warren gets a solid level. Might want to use him, even though I usually don't.

This will be nice when we get the good axe wielder. (Soon)

Luke sets 'em up...

Steve burns 'em down.

Malicia gets some easy free EXP. It's worth noting that there's only one enemy left, so the map is just about over.

As Arran runs for his life, let's see how our old pal Rody is doing.

Keep guarding that start point, Rody! :thumbsup:

Draug is getting into Lure position.

You might say this Dracoknight doesn't know the rules.

OF NATURE!

DEAD ON!

(A waste of a use, but I promised there would be dumb MGR jokes, and there are, dammit.)

Some free XP for Malicia.

:toot:

Here's Linde! She was a mage in the previous game, and her dad was Gharnef's rival. He's dead now. Both of them are.

Steve hears unfamiliar voice. Steve smells unfamiliar smell. Intruder detected.

: I desperately needed to see you again, so I set out to find you. But the Macedonian soldiers found me suspicious and they dragged me to this fortress...

: Is that so? I'm glad you're safe. But, why were you looking for me? Shouldn't you be by Princess Nyna's side?

: I was requested by Princess Nyna to deliver you this.

The H?
(Probably just needed the bottom screen there...whoops)

: Huh? This...! This is the Fire Emblem! The royal heirloom of Archanea: the Emblem Shield!

It's a shield? I thought it opened chests.

: The Fire Emblem... I heard that in the last war, Princess Nyna entrusted you with it, sire...

: Indeed. I looked after this as Archanea's representative in the last war. But why give this to me now? Especially at a time when Archanea has so much influence under Emperor Hardin's reign?

Marth, you have stumbled into two civil wars in the past day. What is a non-peaceful age for you?

: I don't understand either. Princess Nyna didn't explain why, just that I had to give it to you... I remember her eyes seemed so sad... I think she may have been crying...

"Two rebellions, my friend committing suicide, my other friend kidnapped, eh. NYNA CRYING HOLY poo poo SOMETHING IS UP!"

: Linde, after this battle ends, I will go see Princess Nyna. Until then, I want you to remain with us.

: Yes, Prince Marth!

A triumphant theme plays and...

Oh. That's anticlimactic. Just send back one of these Vulnerarys and...

Yeah!

That's the end of this map. Join Marth as he remembers he was actually looking for Minerva in...

Part 13: Old And Senile

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 23, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It is almost unfair how good Catria is.

I'd be interested in seeing if Warren turns out to be worth using. This game just gives you so many units and some, like Catria, are just so far and away better than the others that you have to go out of your way to use even half of them.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'm noticing that the game is already teaching you about the perils of Ryan. That 50 he's got for Speed growth doesn't seem to be doing much, and if it doesn't start, he's not going to be very useful as an archer, or anything else, much longer. Speed, of course, being by far the most important stat in the game, unless you're a Knight/General. Warren, by the way, is pretty much the man to use if you want a Horseman (assuming you don't want to reclass). His speed's a little lacking, but if you can avoid being screwed on that, his skill and strength growths are pretty good. None of the other Hunters or Horsemen you get can really compare, even though Warren himself is really just a little above average. As for Catria, her biggest flaw is that you generally don't want too many flying units around due to the tactical concerns they present, and there are already two that you kind of have to use. Caeda handles somewhere around a third of the game's recruitments, spread throughout the game, so one may as well use her full-time to make sure she's not just a burden during the many chapters she's required to be deployed. The other one is still a secret, sort of, but you need to use her for the same very secret reason you need to use Merric. In fact, there are four characters the game implicitly forces you to use, all for essentially the same reason, and that's not counting Caeda. Fortunately, all four of them are, at minimum, pretty good (assuming the RNG doesn't hate you).

EDIT: Oh, and the Lady Sword is an E-rank sword that's as powerful as a Silver Sword, making it very useful for one character in particular. Also, I don't think it's a spoiler to point out that the Elysian Whip returns from Shadow Dragon, allowing Pegasus Knights to promote into Falcon Knights, which includes gaining an E in swords. So, that's another good use for the Lady Sword.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 20, 2014

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Uh defence/defense is a British/American thing.

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm noticing that the game is already teaching you about the perils of Ryan. That 50 he's got for Speed growth doesn't seem to be doing much, and if it doesn't start, he's not going to be very useful as an archer, or anything else, much longer. Speed, of course, being by far the most important stat in the game, unless you're a Knight/General. Warren, by the way, is pretty much the man to use if you want a Horseman (assuming you don't want to reclass). His speed's a little lacking, but if you can avoid being screwed on that, his skill and strength growths are pretty good. None of the other Hunters or Horsemen you get can really compare, even though Warren himself is really just a little above average.

It's not that bad honestly, sniper gives some batshit boosts to both skill and speed when you promote, so if you can drag Ryan to 20, he'll be fantastic.

Lotish posted:

It is almost unfair how good Catria is.

I'd be interested in seeing if Warren turns out to be worth using. This game just gives you so many units and some, like Catria, are just so far and away better than the others that you have to go out of your way to use even half of them.

Back when we were beta testing, we actually ended up drafting support chains so that we could beta those too, and I was stuck with some of the worst units in the game. Ryan carried my team with MU. There's very few people in the game who are outright unusable, at worst you probably need to reclass them to a better stat spread, and they'll be able to at least meatshield.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

EclecticTastes posted:

As for Catria, her biggest flaw is that you generally don't want too many flying units around.

This is a horrible lie and you should feel bad for saying it. You should have as many fliers as the game allows you to have because gently caress being slowed down by forests and mountains. Also every Pegasus comes with their own 90 day mage killer warranty that you want since everyone else has poo poo for resistance.

Embrace the flying platoon, they'll bring you home safe.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's not like you can't just reclass your fliers to Cavaliers or Paladins if there are a ton of bows around. It also gives them a better strength growth and access to the Lady Sword.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Cord is pretty good. Being an axe-wielder whose stat deficit is in Skill is a really great place to be, because changing to Mercenary or Hero gives you so much Skill that it's pretty much irrelevant and Axes get good hit bonuses from weapon ranks. He's not really Berserker material, with how limited the reclass slots are, but Barst and MU are generally going to lock those up anyway so it's a non-issue.

The game has enough good characters that you'll probably end up phasing him out, but he'll serve you just fine in the meantime.

Catria doesn't need a Cavalier class change like Caeda does, but it still helps. +5% Strength/Defense does a lot more for her than 15% Speed when she still has a 65% growth rate as a Cavalier... Plus, the Sword ranks are good for Falcoknight later.

Linde is a good low-effort mage... But if you're using reclassing at all, then she's not very good. Getting early use of Aura is nice, but using it early is something essentially reserved for the ridiculous difficulties. She'd be great if she was in a game where you can dodge, but this is FE12, so 80 Speed/Luck growth rates don't do very much for her.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ah Catria, not only does she have basically the best growth spread in the game, reclassing actually does bonkers for her. It's not like the game doesn't have maps where terrain is basically absent, or that you're ever short on cavalier reclass shots when it comes up. Whenever you can cavalier her, she can train swords while still having her lances, or just use the freaking lady sword.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'll point out that my opinions come from the basic premise that I don't reclass, except for one Berserker (and that's MU, who is pretty much always overpowered). And, unless you're reclassing, you don't want more than two fliers in your regular rotation, because if you do, you'll end up spending tons of time using the non-fliers to clear out the current map's bow-wielding units (along with the occasional mage with a wind-based tome). Besides, I prefer the challenge of building a team based on their native class and stats, rather than having them jump from class to class to maximize their growth rates. And anyway, no amount of growths will make it so that you can recruit Roger, Jake, and Samto if you don't want to risk him suiciding on Ogma with Catria. It's for similar reasons that, like them or not, you really don't have much choice except to use Merric, Minerva, Julian, and Sirius. Sure, you can bring them to the final chapter at their base levels, at which point you get the "fun" of keeping them alive while they do their thing, which just happens to put them within range of the final boss, which will of course necessitate either killing him in the same round you do the thing, or bringing the dancer or a Rescue/Warp staff along to let folks retreat.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Krumbsthumbs posted:

This is a horrible lie and you should feel bad for saying it. You should have as many fliers as the game allows you to have because gently caress being slowed down by forests and mountains. Also every Pegasus comes with their own 90 day mage killer warranty that you want since everyone else has poo poo for resistance.

Embrace the flying platoon, they'll bring you home safe.

Einander posted:

Catria doesn't need a Cavalier class change like Caeda does, but it still helps. +5% Strength/Defense does a lot more for her than 15% Speed when she still has a 65% growth rate as a Cavalier... Plus, the Sword ranks are good for Falcoknight later.

Keldulas posted:

Ah Catria, not only does she have basically the best growth spread in the game, reclassing actually does bonkers for her. It's not like the game doesn't have maps where terrain is basically absent, or that you're ever short on cavalier reclass shots when it comes up. Whenever you can cavalier her, she can train swords while still having her lances, or just use the freaking lady sword.
Look at all these correct opinions. Yep, switching between Cavalier and Peg Knight flying death squad as needed is awesome, and the Lady Sword makes it all the better since starting with an E sword rank doesn't mean poo poo when you've got a 12 might E-rank sword available.

Since Cecille can reclass to Pegasus knight, I also consider her an honorary member of the flying death squad. Embrace the flying death squad, they'll bring you home safe.:black101:

E: Also, believe it or not the Lady Sword is less broken here than it was back in FE3. Back then it had the same might, hit, and weapon rank, but it also had +10 Crit and was super effective against Thieves, Bandits, Pirates and Barbarians.:stare:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 21, 2014

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

Spoiler stuff.

Honestly I tend to end up ignoring those party requirements for the most part since it tends to make the game kind of samey. It's not like there's real consequence anyways.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Honestly I tend to end up ignoring those party requirements for the most part since it tends to make the game kind of samey. It's not like there's real consequence anyways.

So, what, do you just murder all those recruitable characters? Unthinkable!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
You get a million staves of the appropriate types, dancers exist, and mages are good. It's really not a problem.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

I'll point out that my opinions come from the basic premise that I don't reclass, except for one Berserker (and that's MU, who is pretty much always overpowered). And, unless you're reclassing, you don't want more than two fliers in your regular rotation, because if you do, you'll end up spending tons of time using the non-fliers to clear out the current map's bow-wielding units (along with the occasional mage with a wind-based tome).

Or you could overload on fliers and take out most of the archers before they can do anything with fliers' superior movement range. Or just go around.

And really, an oversized air force is more fun than only one or two fliers.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Air superiority is very important.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you usually just get joke weapons from How's Everyone, or is that some kind of streetpass thing?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Glazius posted:

Do you usually just get joke weapons from How's Everyone, or is that some kind of streetpass thing?

There are a number of special weapons available from How's Everyone. Some of them are joke weapons, others are (Character)'s (Weapon), which have stats equivalent to lightly forged mid-range weapons, there are Glass items, which are powerful and low-rank but have only three uses, Quick weapons that are like extremely weak Brave weapons, and a handful of weapons that just have weird or unique properties. Hopefully a few of that last category show up, because there's some that are very interesting (particularly the Cleave Bow, which would do very good things for Ryan). Also yes, there is a Wrys staff. It heals two more HP per use than Heal, provides one more point of experience, and, most notably, has a whopping thirty uses.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

So, what, do you just murder all those recruitable characters? Unthinkable!

Yeah pretty much. I don't really care about arbitrary restrictions, hell I play on Lunatic (or whatever the difficulty is right before Reverse) Casual just because I don't want to restart if I get crit-screwed at the end of a map or something. I'm not following game mechanics that are actively tedious or restrict my play options, and the spoilered stuff restricts my play options considerably.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Yeah pretty much. I don't really care about arbitrary restrictions, hell I play on Lunatic (or whatever the difficulty is right before Reverse) Casual just because I don't want to restart if I get crit-screwed at the end of a map or something. I'm not following game mechanics that are actively tedious or restrict my play options, and the spoilered stuff restricts my play options considerably.

Yeah I'd sooner take an axe to my shiny new Wii U than allow a single character to die in a Fire Emblem game. Only time I permitted it was playing Sacred Stones, and that was because I just wanted it to be over. But, I also prefer the challenge of working around the requirements, having to just hope that those units I have to bring along get good enough level-ups to not be burdens. That I can help things along with save states in a pinch is really beside the point.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

EclecticTastes posted:

And, unless you're reclassing, you don't want more than two fliers in your regular rotation, because if you do, you'll end up spending tons of time using the non-fliers to clear out the current map's bow-wielding units (along with the occasional mage with a wind-based tome).

I'm confused; you say this like you expect us not to spend as much time as necessary to indiscriminately slaughter all the faceless enemy mooks. I mean, those enemy archers and wind mages are all going to die anyway (Let no EXP go unwasted to waste!), so why not bring along as many fliers as I like?

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 22, 2014

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm confused; you say this like you expect us not to spend as much time as necessary to indiscriminately slaughter all the faceless enemy mooks. I mean, those enemy archers and wind mages are all going to die anyway (Let no EXP go unwasted!), so why not bring along as many fliers as I like?

I find it's less of a hassle to steamroll them with non-flying units rather than spend an extra twenty minutes maneuvering around them in order to wipe them all out at once, lest the survivor one-shot somebody. Obviously, this applies mainly to the maps featuring several archers with overlapping attack ranges (don't even get me started on the maps with Arrowspate ballistae). With just a couple flyers, you can have them hit the areas not covered by archers and/or wind magic in the meantime.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

Yeah I'd sooner take an axe to my shiny new Wii U than allow a single character to die in a Fire Emblem game. Only time I permitted it was playing Sacred Stones, and that was because I just wanted it to be over. But, I also prefer the challenge of working around the requirements, having to just hope that those units I have to bring along get good enough level-ups to not be burdens. That I can help things along with save states in a pinch is really beside the point.

My point is that it's boring to use the same characters all the time, and the arcane requirements to do the spoiler stuff properly encourages that or forces you to go in gimped, which is blah.

The map in question isn't really much of a challenge anyways, I've done it properly before and I found it's actually harder to do it the improper way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Keldulas posted:

My point is that it's boring to use the same characters all the time, and the arcane requirements to do the spoiler stuff properly encourages that or forces you to go in gimped, which is blah.

The map in question isn't really much of a challenge anyways, I've done it properly before and I found it's actually harder to do it the improper way.

Well, you also can't discount how awesome it is to have the gang run up to their love interests/sibling, recruit them, and then nail Medeus with their equipped ranged weapon, which will in all cases (barring horrific luck with levels) leave him with low enough HP that Marth can finish him off immediately. Even Julian, properly leveled and with just a single Seraph Robe (not exactly hard to spare), can survive a single counter from the big guy, I discovered. Hell, when last I did it, Marth decided to crit, just to drive home how awesome it was.

• Locked thread