Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Platystemon posted:

The lab and cupola requirements are enough for me to turn down this contract, but you want me to wrangle a class E asteroid as well? :wtc:

God drat I got that much money just for testing a Mainsail in orbit. Are you playing on Hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Review of the last page, in case you missed it:

--spacecraft help to safely land kerbals
--liquid rockets are expensive
--cheating makes the game easier
--and possible Buran chat (

Whiirrr posted:

Anyone know of a mod that adds some nice big jet engines? The new plane sizes just beg for a sweet shuttle.
) or a shuttle carrier.

Good stuff. I'm particularly interested in the last one.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

God drat I got that much money just for testing a Mainsail in orbit. Are you playing on Hard?

He probably is. You have to stack contracts up on launches to turn a profit at times.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Whiirrr posted:

Anyone know of a mod that adds some nice big jet engines? The new plane sizes just beg for a sweet shuttle.
The original shuttle didn't have any jet engines, I don't think :colbert:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rohaq posted:

Buran did.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Just did 2 satellite contracts with one probe. Rocket cost 12k, and I got over 200k in profit. :woop:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I just took on 5 more contracts to put various bases and stations around the Joolian system so I'm going to take this out there and explore.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zero One posted:

I'm trying FAR for the first time. I remember them being mentioned before but can anyone link me to the mod that lowers the performance of stock engines under FAR and the one that updates MechJeb for FAR?

I don't know about the former, but the latter hasn't been updated for 0.90 yet anyways.

Once it has been updated, it'll be here.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
You know what else should really be in 1.0? An actual savegame system. Something that:

* has more than 1 slot
* tells you when exactly the save is from, both in-game and irl, with maybe a screenshot
* does multiple autosaves in rotating slots, that saves when poo poo happens
* has multiple quicksaves in rotating slots

The only thing that is actually useable right now is the revert to launch/vab system. Because it works and tell you exactly what's going to happen. The autosave/load feature feels more like some sort of black magic that does random poo poo that just makes everything worse.

(Note: if I'm bitching a lot the last few days it's because 0.9 is making me play again. It's really, really good, I'm liking it a lot.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have a probe on a hyperbolic trajectory out from Kerbin. But when I control a different craft and view the map screen, that probe shows as having a regular elliptical orbit.

Do I risk my Duna probe actually just making orbit if I don't babysit it out from Kerbin, or is it just a rendering bug?

Edit: Named savegames are available from the Esc menu in the space center view.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I made it. Ended up using my landing engines to cut the burn time down and used up a bunch more fuel than I planned though.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

uXs posted:

You know what else should really be in 1.0? An actual savegame system. Something that:

* has more than 1 slot
* tells you when exactly the save is from, both in-game and irl, with maybe a screenshot

The only thing that is actually useable right now is the revert to launch/vab system. Because it works and tell you exactly what's going to happen. The autosave/load feature feels more like some sort of black magic that does random poo poo that just makes everything worse.

(Note: if I'm bitching a lot the last few days it's because 0.9 is making me play again. It's really, really good, I'm liking it a lot.)

Alt-F5
Alt-F9

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I just just wanted to say that I'm crazy happy you guys are enjoying 0.90 that much. :3:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So I'm just getting back into this game from man way back at .18 or something. Crazy amount of changes! I'm stuck on a contract though. It is asking me to launch a probe into a certain orbit. Which was fine and dandy, but the stipulation is that the probe is "powered and has an antenna", and for some reason I can not fullfill this requirement? I put on batteries an engine and a comm 16 so i'm not sure what I am missing.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

uXs posted:

* has more than 1 slot

Along these lines, a better XP system would be nice. Jeb has done two dozen missions including science experiments in orbit. Bill spent 30 minutes "reading a magazine" aboard a probe-driven ship as it orbited once. Both are level 1.

Plus it seems weird that they can only level up past level 2 by leaving the Kerbin SOI no matter what they do.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So I'm just getting back into this game from man way back at .18 or something. Crazy amount of changes! I'm stuck on a contract though. It is asking me to launch a probe into a certain orbit. Which was fine and dandy, but the stipulation is that the probe is "powered and has an antenna", and for some reason I can not fullfill this requirement? I put on batteries an engine and a comm 16 so i'm not sure what I am missing.

Yeah, is there just general listing of what some of these terms mean?

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 21, 2014

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
"Powered" means it needs a solar panel or a RTG. Batteries aren't enough.

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

Rohaq posted:

The original shuttle totally did, it just had a non-optional 747 attachment for them. Accessories! :haw:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Apoffys posted:

"Powered" means it needs a solar panel or a RTG. Batteries aren't enough.

Welp, time to go find more science then.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I had a bit of fun trying to figure out how to spray probes everywhere.

Two flew into each other and exploded while the other two made it to the surface intact and I got around +200 science out of it. :jeb:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Loving 0.9 ... having things like weight and part limits really makes it for me.

I bet newbies would really benefit from a series building-upon contracts for a space station. "Build a station supporting 2 kerbals", "Add space for another 4", "Add at least XX electricity generation", "Store XX fuel", "Boost station to X orbit". Bah.. I bet there's an mod for that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I put some ion engines on my space station because I thought I might want to use them someday, but now that I’m planning a supply mission I see how expensive the propellant is. Even with the engines and solar panels already in orbit, it would be more economical to send up a Mainsail and a boatload of fuel than to send up enough xenon.

LKO clearly isn’t the ideal case for ion propulsion because there isn’t that much upstream Δv, but when xenon is 0.977/1.05 kN⋅s per Keso with/without tank and fuel & oxidiser is 19.6/85.4, it’s hard to imagine any mission involving enough total Δv for ion propulsion to make sense.

Ion exists for low‐mass challenges, I guess.

The advantage of ion drives isn't that they or their propellant is cheap, but that they have really high dv for their mass and are pretty small, too. Which lets you make the rest of the launch smaller and cheaper and send your probes further with less mass.

For large, heavy things you'll pretty much always want an NTR or even a high-isp conventional engine.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Also be sure you hit the "new" construction button inside the space center because i had the problem where it wouldn't register as a newly built probe until i did that (figured it out after sending 3 probes into orbits that wouldn't satisfy the requirements)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Zero One posted:

I'm trying FAR for the first time. I remember them being mentioned before but can anyone link me to the mod that lowers the performance of stock engines under FAR and the one that updates MechJeb for FAR?

The one you're looking for is by ferram4, Kerbal ISP modifier.

DoubleT2172 posted:

Also be sure you hit the "new" construction button inside the space center because i had the problem where it wouldn't register as a newly built probe until i did that (figured it out after sending 3 probes into orbits that wouldn't satisfy the requirements)

That can't be right. I have a saved design for those contracts and I've just been going to the launchpad and loading the craft. Launch and profit. What's more likely is that he's hitting the launch clamp bug. The power clause means power generation - solar or fuel cell or RTG. Launch clamps also provide power so the game blithely lets you have the contracts but sadly you don't take the clamps with you when you launch ;) So the contract cannot actually be fulfilled.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

DoubleT2172 posted:

This is definitely wrong, just like the guy above me, I have a generic "probe in Kerbin SOI" design that I just load and profit.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So I've unlocked two inline reaction wheels but slapping it on a probe and hitting [T] just tells me there is no pilot or SAS available on the ship, what stupid thing am I missing here?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SeaborneClink posted:

So I've unlocked two inline reaction wheels but slapping it on a probe and hitting [T] just tells me there is no pilot or SAS available on the ship, what stupid thing am I missing here?

You're missing a pilot or SAS core! You need the OKTO or a better probe computer to have SAS available, or a pilot. It's not a standard feature any more. The reaction wheels just give you better turning.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 21, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

Reaction wheels provide torque, the ability to rotate the ship using electricity. This is not the same as SAS, Stability Augmentation System, which is a capability that uses torque, RCS, and engine gimbaling to control the ship's heading.

SAS is provided by having a Pilot-class kerbal on board, or by installing a probe core with the SAS capability. Notably, the first probe core, the Stayputnik, does not have SAS.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Taking off from Pol.

Chilling on Bop.

All my contracts are done so it's time to head home.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Is it possible to make lighter liftoff rockets by using jet fuel with air intakes?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

karl fungus posted:

Is it possible to make lighter liftoff rockets by using jet fuel with air intakes?

Yes!

But you have to use jet engines!

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Don't they all just use the same generic liquid fuel though?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

karl fungus posted:

Yes, but jet engines don't need any (additional) oxidiser — that's what the air intakes are for — so you end up with far higher ISP while still getting useful thrust.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 21, 2014

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

karl fungus posted:

They do. But the rocket engines do not use intake air as an oxidizer source.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Oh. :downs:

Well, let's see if it works!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
14 Kerbals on their way home.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't know about the former, but the latter hasn't been updated for 0.90 yet anyways.

Once it has been updated, it'll be here.

Sarbian just posted the updates for FAR and NEAR MJ addins.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had a mod in 0.25 that added more girder parts, like L, T and X joins that were compatible and in the same style as the stock girders, but now I can't remember whick mod they were from.. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

e: Of course after spending an hour searching I found it as soon as I posted, it was TurboNisu's Stockalike parts

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 21, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Gounads posted:

Loving 0.9 ... having things like weight and part limits really makes it for me.

You should probably update, 0.9 was ages ago, we're on 0.90 now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Procedural fairings continues to be the best mod.

Cutaway view of the payload for a two-for-one launch to the Mun, a manned lander with full science package and an orbiter with multiple long-range antennas and high res imaging camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for the help on the powerless probe. Added a solar panel and it worked great. Also, i'm still playing vanilla and the new SAS controls on a pilot are pretty awesome since you can tell them to hold prograde/retrograde.