Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

LabyaMynora posted:

Speaking of ID:YD's year end list, I'm just perplexed at their #1 pick.

Omi-Polari posted:

I like most of those albums but don't quite understand #1 either. But it's not exactly an objective list. No such thing. Though I kind of like the idea of going crazy and doing something unexpected for #1.

In my lame opinion, Seeming was easily the most intelligent and well thought out album released this year, probably the past 5-10 years. Maybe that's not enough for most folks, but Christ almighty the thought and intelligence put into 99% of industrial lyrics now are "You are my diseeeasse" + distortion pedal + dance beat. And no, it wasn't always that way. It used to be thought-provoking. experimental and unpredictable. Anyway I don't share the exact same tastes as ID:UD myself but I can definitely see why they picked that album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

The Cleaner posted:

In my lame opinion, Seeming was easily the most intelligent and well thought out album released this year, probably the past 5-10 years. Maybe that's not enough for most folks, but Christ almighty the thought and intelligence put into 99% of industrial lyrics now are "You are my diseeeasse" + distortion pedal + dance beat. And no, it wasn't always that way. It used to be thought-provoking. experimental and unpredictable. Anyway I don't share the exact same tastes as ID:UD myself but I can definitely see why they picked that album.

Yeah, in the 80's "Industrial" used to be a nice catch-all term for just about anything experimental involving electronics or noise. I mean, Legendary Pink Dots would get lumped into the genre. In the 90's, maybe that stuff started getting lumped under the ever-expanding "Electronica" umbrella instead. Nowadays everything is categorized down to the genus and species, and I think it can become a creative straight-jacket. Also, honestly, the most creative new talent isn't probably looking to limit themeselves to this musty "genre".

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

The Cleaner posted:

I think it was actually what I was hoping for from Speak in Storms. So yeah, great album.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Speaking of '80s industrial and the "what got me into This Stuff" discussion, click here if you want to download 530 GB of Nine Inch Nails recordings from 1988 to 2014. It's a torrent, so if you wanted you could even download a mere 100 or 200 GB. The choice is yours.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Another old fart checking in that got into industrial because of the Mortal Kombat soundtrack.

Started listening to that Seeming album and thought it sounded a lot like ThouShaltNot, then I found out it was the same guy, which is really cool because The White Beyond is one of my favorite albums of all time. Definitely liking this.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So, BeatCon AKA Alt-Fest 2: Finnish Edition.

It came as no surprise, but the thing has changed pretty dramatically. From the looks of it they're moving the event from the Tivoli fair centre to a location at the Jyväskylä university and probably a local club or something. Instead of three festival days there will be just one with most of the (probably cheaper/most popular) headliners consolidated there, plus a "VIP party" with Blutengel headlining as well as some of the smaller acts. In total, out of over 20 bands originally announced about half have been axed (the organizers are apparently still in talks with Lord of the Lost), including, of course, OOMPH!, Eisbrecher and In Strict Confidence, which were most of my reason to go to the festival in the first place. Kinda bummed out as you can probably imagine. But hey motherfucking :drac:Blutengel:drac: is still playing their first ever Finnish show, so I guess I'm going anyway. And maybe I can get wasted and check Lordi out or something on the second day, I think they're supposed to be real good live? gently caress it, I suppose.

The official reasons stated are:

BeatCon organizers posted:

Due to unforeseen organisational circumstances out of our or the announced bands’ control, we regret to inform you that BeatCon’s music lineup will undergo a significant changes. [...] BeatCon was changed due to several issues, but mostly because of sponsorships that were not settled as expected and problems with the venue. Although Jyväskylä is a wonderful city, it was not prepared to receive an event of this magnitude.

Sounds to me like a nasty combination of not enough tickets sales + sponsors noticing said lack of sales and bailing. Oh well. Also, like mentioned before, Jyväskylä as their choice of city for a music festival like this was a terrible choice for a number of reasons, and I also feel like they just tried to bite off more than they could chew, both of which combined with them apparently not knowing their audience must've been lethal for them. The "problems with the venue" makes me think them renting out the entirety of the Tivoli fair centre in Jyväskylä was way too ambitious, it and its staff probably cost way more than they thought it would and there just wasn't enough people coming to warrant such a huge venue for the event.

I do think they deserve some kind of props for not doing an Alt-Fest and cancelling the event altogether and for trying to give anyone who's still coming (especially people coming from abroad) at least something for their money. My ticket was upgraded to a VIP one which means I get to the VIP area and poo poo and get to meet pretty much all the bands I want. Too bad I pretty much only want to meet Blutengel, but maybe I could chat with What About Bill? too because OOMPH!'s Dero is in that.

Lesson of the day (or year)? If you're organizing a festival (especially if its for a niche audience) for the first time, for the love of god, start small. Also, know your audience.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 22, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Cleaner posted:

I'm going to give the album another chance.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Oh my god. Death In Rome just dropped the best industrial christmas track ever

https://soundcloud.com/deathinrome/death-in-rome-christmas-time

Edit:

Related to this

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 24, 2014

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Edit:

Related to this

I really hope industrial xmas songs become a real thing after this.

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013
The episode of my radio show where I interview twiin is up here .

bij
Feb 24, 2007

My Xmas is holly and jolly now, this is amazing.

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013
[quote="Danger - Octopus!" post="439368553"]

[/quote ]

This has made my Christmas season this year.

ZoltarOmniscient fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 27, 2014

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
God bless teespring.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

God bless teespring.

I maybe need this

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

I maybe need this

So say we all.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
WaxTrax! is giving me a listen, they're going to tell me what they think :circlefap:

WTII but close enough

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wow, hearing everyone talking about the MK soundtrack makes me feel incredibly old and I'm only 34. Remember the Spawn soundtrack? Seemed like a good idea but turned out kinda terrible.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Age wise you should be right on track. The first soundtrack came out literally 20 years ago now, I had to wait until Annihilation to get into it all since I was 11 during MK1 and wasn't allowed near anything PG-13.

Also, Spawn's soundtrack is awesome.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I never really liked it. There were some good tracks, but as a whole I don't think it worked as well as it could have. I think something like that would work a lot better now actually since music in general has turned more electronic.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Quirk posted:

WaxTrax! is giving me a listen, they're going to tell me what they think :circlefap:

WTII but close enough

I found WTII super hard to work with. Maybe they've changed but they freaked the gently caress out on me when I said I wanted to do a creative commons release. I hope they're a better fit for you than they were for me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Twiin posted:

God bless teespring.

This is awesome

Quirk posted:

WTII but close enough

and so is this!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The Spawn soundtrack sounds very, very 90s now, not necessarily a bad thing, but a bunch of the songs are still pretty good. Spawn Again (Silverchair/Vitro) and No Remorse (Slayer/Atari Teenage Riot) have retained their bite pretty well I reckon.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

On the front page right now: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/kmfdm-megalomaniacal-sonic/

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Metallic Maddness
Stardust Speeway (Bad Future)
Stardust Speedway (Good Future)
Crush 40 vs Bently Jones - Open Your Heart
Julien-K - Waking Up

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haha that's great, but so terribly niche.

Saw this on Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tykz0QCttg4&t=532s

Sure wish this is what I was treated to in Toronto.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Wacky Workbench (Bad Future EU/JP)

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Hmmm... just what are these guys up to?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
More Laibach? Let's loving hope so.

Laibach posted:

Laibach is collaborating with director Milo Rau on ‘The Dark Ages’ theatre production for Bavarian State Theatre / IIPM, Munich
Within this context Laibach will perform a solo Munich show in Residenztheater on 11th April, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGSCtKhBZO0

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Cardinal Noire's debut album will be released january 23rd on EK Product. New video is also out, this one is Skinny Puppy meets Blade Runner maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKcZzn8XHy0

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

W424 posted:

Cardinal Noire's debut album will be released january 23rd on EK Product. New video is also out, this one is Skinny Puppy meets Blade Runner maybe?
Me likey.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

Hmmm... just what are these guys up to?

Covering vidya musics or maybe each doing a track using older console tech? Think I'm on board either way. :allears:

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

W424 posted:

Fabulous. Thanks for sharing!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Ms. Happiness posted:

Fabulous. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you both.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like Daniel Myer is gearing up DSTR again. I loved that project. He crazily played in Austin twice for reasons I don't quite know but those were some of the most memorable live shows I've seen.

Small crowds and Myer just going crazy with every light and laser in the house.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

The Singing Chav posted:

Covering vidya musics or maybe each doing a track using older console tech? Think I'm on board either way. :allears:

I don't know what "vidya musics" is defined as, but it sounds like your on the right track.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
8 bits are enough for me
This is not where I should be

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Whatever the Prodigy are up to, its awesome.

http://youtu.be/tktC8cj8GPE

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
HEALTH is going to be on The Eric Andre Show, and judging by the trailer, they have new stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIZRtKtG7g8

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

Whatever the Prodigy are up to, its awesome.

http://youtu.be/tktC8cj8GPE

This makes me happy. They're one of the band's that got me into electronica/industrial music. I loved Invaders Must Die and I'm liking that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tacking on to the "how'd you get into industrial music" pre-holidays discussion, I'm actually a newcomer to industrial. I found my way to it kind of belatedly because although I love (prepare your ridicule) Rammstein and NIN, I had never really listened to anything but metal. Now a friend has rightfully introduced me to KMFDM and Ministry, and I feel like I missed a terribly important boat earlier in life. I feel like I have a cold, unfeeling buffet of music set out before me, and I have no idea what to try first.