Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Looking for a cheap cheap 32" 720p tv for the bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Went ahead and ordered one of these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078LSTWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
After a few weeks with my F8500 I think I might return it. The buzzing sound is heard at all times and is definitely distracting at low volume. The picture is beautiful but the noise is distracting. It's especially bad when sitting directly in front of the TV. I'm viewing from about 8 feet away and it's frustrating. I might step down to the H7150, but that still seems like an incredible LED TV.

Woe is me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I picked up one of those from CL and it's perfectly fine for a cheap bedroom tv.

I would say it's good for video games but it's clear you've abandoned those :smith:

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

KracKiwi posted:

Make sure you don't throw the box out or anything. The buzzing and input lag for video games was so bad I'm in the process of returning it.

1997 posted:

After a few weeks with my F8500 I think I might return it. The buzzing sound is heard at all times and is definitely distracting at low volume. The picture is beautiful but the noise is distracting. It's especially bad when sitting directly in front of the TV. I'm viewing from about 8 feet away and it's frustrating. I might step down to the H7150, but that still seems like an incredible LED TV.

Woe is me.

I was wondering if you would get used to the buzzing or not. It was unbearable for me. Luckily I was able to get my VT30 working again after sending the affected boards to http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com to be repaired. Highly recommended!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Warning, this post is mostly for me to vent.

I went ahead and bought a Sony 60KDLW840B (Canadian version of W850B) since a good deal popped up with a Canadian online retailer. The TV I really wanted was an H7150, but this one was pretty much a clear second. It was actually first for awhile because of the input lag, but I was down on it after hearing so many issues on this model on AVSForums.

I was skeptical enough on this model based on the posts on AVS Forums. They were having plenty of uniformity issues and other things. But I figured the uniformity issues were mostly with the 65" or 70" models as most of those people got those and the handful with the 60" were fine. Those were beyond my budget anyway and I thought I'd be safe with a 60". I scored a good deal for the W840B but it was through an online retailer that uses local authorized dealers for supply.

Anyway, the TV arrived 2 days ago and I was super anxious to see if it had any uniformity issues, clouding and most importantly any dead pixels. I did pretty extensive testing using a bunch of websites and color charts and found that things were really great. There's a bit of a uniformity issues but everything else was pretty much perfect. Fast forward to today, I turn it on and find a stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen. I was in disbelief at first, thinking it was a spec of dust or something, but definitely a stuck pixel. I've tried everything from JScreenFix and UDPixel, and massaging the drat screen and nothing helped. I was just so frustrated and pissed off that I just boxed everything up and called for a return (they can't do exchanges). Turns out I have to pay for return shipping on this thing, which is $60 CAD. Then they'll refund me the money I paid less the delivery fee of $60. So all in all I'm pretty much paying $120 + taxes just to try out this TV for 2 days. I'm really picky when it comes to screens and really can't tolerate any dead pixels. Hell, my super-cheap Korean 27" monitor doesn't have any stuck or dead pixels and that one is 2560 x 1440. So pissed off right now that I'm just turned off from buying a new TV in general, especially since I'm out $140 at this point.

Canadian prices are just so bad on TVs and this was the only decent deal I could get. Even on Boxing Day (which is our Black Friday equivalent when it comes to TV sales), I doubt the TVs I want would go down to reasonable prices. For comparison, the 60" H7150 is $2099. The cheapest I've seen this is $1599, so I'm assuming it'll be that price or $1499 on Boxing Day. Add 13% tax on top of that and it's just not worth it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Have you tried contacting sony about a warranty replacement first?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

If you live near the border, just drive across and grab one. My brother did this and I would have too if I could fit a 65" incher in my car.

Also Koreans make the best monitors these days so it's kinda funny to include that when talking about quality in a negative light.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Sony just said that that's within manufacturer spec and they even have a FAQ on it on their website. In terms of going across the border, a couple of years ago when the Canadian dollar was strong, then maybe. Now with gas, horrible exchange rate plus paying 13% on top of that on the border, there's minimal savings on that too. Still cheaper I guess.

With the Korean monitor comment, I'm talking about the cheap $250 eBay monitors which were supposed to be A- stock. If I can get a perfect panel with those, then I was hoping I'd get a good one with one of Sony's higher-end models at least.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
I've got a 3.5 year old LG plasma television that has given me some great service. Unfortunately it appears as if bough some issues have started. Last night the picture would have random patches of screen where the color saturation would drop suddenly, pixelize, and kind of flicker. The issue is not consistent, but rather kind of spotty, although frequency is certainly increasing.

Anyone have an idea of what could cause this? I figure it's probably on its way out shortly, should I bother with a repair guy call out fee?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone with a Sony W600B TV? I've got the 48" --

The "quick start" thing is driving me nuts. I can't believe there's only three "manual" slots to pick from to enable instant-on/quick-start. Works great when I use all 3 slots to basically enable 6pm-midnight which covers all the times I get home from work, but weekends the TV gets turned on anywhere from 9am till midnight so I'm stuck seeing the annoying "Power on... Please wait..." thing for 10 or so seconds.

Not SUPER annoying but it's a really dumb way to handle auto-on. Pretty much the ONLY issue I'm having with this TV, and it's a minor annoyance at most.

I would love to be able to set a separate schedule for weekdays and a separate one for weekends. Or let me expand the schedule to greater than 2 hour intervals. I don't really care about power savings (as bad as that sounds) so if I could just have the TV enable quick-start 24/7 that would be ideal for me.

Is this a feature on the more expensive Sonys and they cheaped out on the W600B, or are the expensive ones limited to these three quick-start slots too?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Constellation I posted:

Add 13% tax on top of that and it's just not worth it.

Holy poo poo.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I went to pick up a Vizio e550 for $650 and ended up grabbing the Samsung un55h7150 for $999. As a bonus, their POS system was overloaded and I got it for no tax.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Ended up buying a 60 inch Samsung 8550 at Best Buy tonight. I randomly asked the guy to check the versions and they still had one using a Sharp panel. When I got it home, I found that I had completely lucked out and gotten one of the chipsets that can do 4:4:4 without an issue. I guess I'll be packing up the Vizio I bought from Costco when I get back from the holidays.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: misread

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So, I bought a 48 inch Vizio smart led.
I like it, but thinking about it... I kind of want to go bigger.

I see an 55 inch LG that's not smart for just $175 more.

Both are 1080p, 120hz.

That's 7 extra inches, at the expense of losing wifi, and paying more money. I don't really need the smart functionality though, since I have a ps4. Idk... I'm mulling it over. What do you guys think?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to give advice without knowing the actual model numbers involved.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ah, sorry

Just bought the VIZIO E480i-B2 48-Inch 1080p Smart LED HDTV

looking at upgrading to the LG Electronics 55LB5900 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED TV

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Question for you guys, related to TVs but not about TVs themselves.

As expected, the sound on our TV is okay. It struggles with any kind of rumbly bass so we'd like to get a no-frills 2.1 system or a soundbar that can handle bass but doesn't need to be super loud (we live in an apartment).

I saw this guy here and it seems alright, and it has the bonus of being able to double as the speakers for my 2 channel stereo:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-S3820W-...=vizio+soundbar

It has a subwoofer out jack if I wanted more bass as well, but is this perhaps the right way to go on a budget, or should I get a pair of bookshelf speakers like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000...okshelf+speaker

Anyway, I am not an audiophile and we don't have the space for a system bigger than 2.1 channels at most so I thought perhaps people here might have ideas.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I really like my SS-B1000s and 3000s, though I've never heard one of those sound bars to compare. The 3000s fill up our apartment nicely, driven by an old Kenwood receiver.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Blindeye posted:

Question for you guys, related to TVs but not about TVs themselves.

As expected, the sound on our TV is okay. It struggles with any kind of rumbly bass so we'd like to get a no-frills 2.1 system or a soundbar that can handle bass but doesn't need to be super loud (we live in an apartment).

I saw this guy here and it seems alright, and it has the bonus of being able to double as the speakers for my 2 channel stereo:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-S3820W-...=vizio+soundbar

It has a subwoofer out jack if I wanted more bass as well, but is this perhaps the right way to go on a budget, or should I get a pair of bookshelf speakers like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000...okshelf+speaker

Anyway, I am not an audiophile and we don't have the space for a system bigger than 2.1 channels at most so I thought perhaps people here might have ideas.

Keep in mind you could also add a powered subwoofer to your tv if it has analog audio output.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I'm looking for an affordable replacement TV for my parents. A few years go my dad bought the cheapest "big" tv he could find (32" 720p Dynex with CCFL backlighting), now the remote no longer works, and the TV has started infrequently not turning on when you press the power button.

I think 42" is about as big of a TV as they can fit in their small TV room, and is about right for how far away they sit. Budget is as far under $500 as possible, without making me cringe when I watch a movie with them. 1080p at 60hz is fine, though 120hz is also fine as long as its not jacking up the price (and I can turn off whatever interpolation its using on the off chance it bothers me). They'll have a Roku streaming stick, so smart features aren't a requirement either.

Out of what I've seen locally, This 42" LG seems to fit the bill at $350, but I don't really pay attention to TVs and wanted to run it past goons first. Is it a good enough TV? Are there better options I should be looking at in that price range?

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 23, 2014

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Anyone have an answer?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

The Bananana posted:

Anyone have an answer?

You're better off with a Roku stick or something than built-in smart TV features. No one ever wishes they bought a smaller TV. I would 100% go for it dude.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

ddogflex posted:

You're better off with a Roku stick or something than built-in smart TV features. No one ever wishes they bought a smaller TV. I would 100% go for it dude.

That's what I'm loving talking about! Time to find that receipt.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Tangentially HDTV question:

My TV in my bedroom, a Vizio, has horrendous speakers. Either they're lown, or they just suck, but it's noticeably bad.

Is there a decent cheap solution to replace them? Soundbars tend to be a bit pricey and I'm not caring too much about surround, I just watch TV to fall asleep...no interest in having a subwoofer and whatnot.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
I wired mine to an old shelf stereo system a while back and that worked out pretty well. Cheap shelf units beat the hell out of tv speakers and can be found pretty cheap at a pawn shop. Downside is obviously the usage of shelf space.

How is the sharp aquos line regarded these days? Best buy has a pretty decent looking deal on a 60 inch for like 700, but the model number didn't come up with much info. Would it be worth the extra 200 to get a Bravia?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
I'm setting my basement us as a rec room and trying to pick out a good TV. No windows but dimmable overhead lights, a picture is below. I'll get the set when Super Bowl sales start. I'm used to my Panasonic plasma in the living room, but some of the LEDs I've seen aren't bad. Main concern is picture quality. I don't care about smart or 3D features, since I'll have an Xbox 360, gaming PC and an HDMI splitter on the TV. TV will be about 1/3-1/2 covered by the shade from the light.

I'm considering four 65" Samsung sets if I can get one of them for <$1400 on sale. Plasma sets 64F5300A, 64H5000, or LED sets 65H6350, 65H7150. I know the F5300A will be $999 or less locally and I can get the H5000 for a couple hundred more.

Edit: Right now F5300 is $899, the 64H5000 and 65H6350 are both about $1399, and the H7150 probably won't work anyway because my stand is Ikea Best a cabinets that may have a slight bump where they meet together, so the set wouldn't sit flat.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 24, 2014

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

I'm setting my basement us as a rec room and trying to pick out a good TV. No windows but dimmable overhead lights, a picture is below. I'll get the set when Super Bowl sales start. I'm used to my Panasonic plasma in the living room, but some of the LEDs I've seen aren't bad. Main concern is picture quality. I don't care about smart or 3D features, since I'll have an Xbox 360, gaming PC and an HDMI splitter on the TV. TV will be about 1/3-1/2 covered by the shade from the light.

I'm considering four 65" Samsung sets if I can get one of them for <$1400 on sale. Plasma sets 64F5300A, 64H5000, or LED sets 65H6350, 65H7150. I know the F5300A will be $999 or less locally and I can get the H5000 for a couple hundred more.

Edit: Right now F5300 is $899, the 64H5000 and 65H6350 are both about $1399, and the H7150 probably won't work anyway because my stand is Ikea Best a cabinets that may have a slight bump where they meet together, so the set wouldn't sit flat.

After quite a bit of research I went with the H5000. Got it on amazon for $1279.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If your concern is picture quality buy the plasma. Especially in a light controlled room.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why aren't you getting a projector?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

AzCoug posted:

After quite a bit of research I went with the H5000. Got it on amazon for $1279.

I think you'll be happy with your choice. Make sure to get a large enough stand, as the legs of the H5000 splay out more than you'd think from the pictures.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Mozi posted:

I think you'll be happy with your choice. Make sure to get a large enough stand, as the legs of the H5000 splay out more than you'd think from the pictures.

Yeah, that may be an issue. Stand is 15" and TV is 14.8" deep. I don't think a different stand is going to be an option, so looks like I may need an LED. Or I deal with mounting to the block walls behind the drywall, since there aren't any studs, just furring strips.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 24, 2014

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Got the 55 inch LG. Looked not as good next to the samsung, but at home, it's fine.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Mozi posted:

I installed the recessed, tilt and swiveling mount from Monoprice.

A little more to the install with having to cut out drywall, etc but it looks great when finished.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I'm looking at the Seiki SE50FY35 50-Inch LED on Amazon for 380 today... This a decent cheap TV to buy or does anyone have any other recommendations on Amazon for the same price/size?

E: gently caress it, that TV is poo poo. My budget doubled. What's the best I can get, ideally on Amazon, at 45-55in and equal or less than 800? Also, is the market going to get better if I can wait a month?

For reference, I have a generally lowish and mostly naturally lit living room.

Golashes fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 26, 2014

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm considering the exact same use case. I want to wall-mount it in the area above my wardrobe which has about 18 inches of vertical clearance. At a slight downward angle it should fit nicely. The killer for me (in that the price almost doubles) is that I'm after HDMI-CEC, so I can mount a HTPC behind it for streaming stuff. I'd prefer to go with that over a general smart tv interface because it has far more stuff that I can do, including launch arcadey games.

So far it looks like I have to go a 5000 or 5500 gen samsung or equivalent, which pushes the price out to about AUD$500. What other TVs should I consider around that generation (for the CEC) that may be cheaper?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nam Taf posted:

I'm considering the exact same use case. I want to wall-mount it in the area above my wardrobe which has about 18 inches of vertical clearance. At a slight downward angle it should fit nicely. The killer for me (in that the price almost doubles) is that I'm after HDMI-CEC, so I can mount a HTPC behind it for streaming stuff. I'd prefer to go with that over a general smart tv interface because it has far more stuff that I can do, including launch arcadey games.

So far it looks like I have to go a 5000 or 5500 gen samsung or equivalent, which pushes the price out to about AUD$500. What other TVs should I consider around that generation (for the CEC) that may be cheaper?

Unless all you do is plex, an HTPC does not replace hulu/netflix/amazon players.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Don Lapre posted:

Unless all you do is plex, an HTPC does not replace hulu/netflix/amazon players.

I don't use hulu/netflix/amazon because :australia:. I run an xbmc install for my media that also boots in to steam when I want to play games on it. That's why I can't just cover myself with smart TV software alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nam Taf posted:

I don't use hulu/netflix/amazon because :australia:. I run an xbmc install for my media that also boots in to steam when I want to play games on it. That's why I can't just cover myself with smart TV software alone.

HTPC is perfect for xbmc then. You should also look into the logitech harmony smart hub if they have it there. It can control a pc over bluetooth. You could also get a simple usb ir receiver and mount it where it has line of sight.